GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-30-2013, 13:53   #26
elsolo

If you think the symptoms that cause a person to need to take psych meds are bad, the symptoms that one suffers when they stop taking the meds are much worse.

Even just depressed housewife on a SSRI, quit taking them and a whole new set of symptoms appears.

That said, I don't think that throwing pills at mental problems is a surefire approach to fix the problems, and for many people medication causes more problems than it cures.
elsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 13:56   #27
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
Until humans understand there are dangerously deficient humans and that life isn't special we will have these problems. Every one of these school and theater shooting idiots should have been dead a long time ago.
I am pretty sure that lanza and every other mass murderer firmly believed that life isn't special. For how that belief works out on a national level one needs only to study Germany under the Nazi's.

Eliminating problem people was their specialty.

Last edited by Dragoon44; 10-30-2013 at 13:59..
Dragoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 15:54   #28
Bruce H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon44 View Post
I am pretty sure that lanza and every other mass murderer firmly believed that life isn't special. For how that belief works out on a national level one needs only to study Germany under the Nazi's.

Eliminating problem people was their specialty.
Nice try. The Nazi's eliminated lots of people who weren't mentally deficient or deranged.
This discussion should be about people who can't function without being loaded with drugs. If they don't take them they are very dangerous to all those around them.
Old 10-30-2013, 16:31   #29
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
Nice try. The Nazi's eliminated lots of people who weren't mentally deficient or deranged.
This discussion should be about people who can't function without being loaded with drugs. If they don't take them they are very dangerous to all those around them.
Which did Nazi Germany start killing first?

The answer of course is the physically and mentally deficient. That is how it starts and history tells us where it progresses to.

Your belief that because there exists the potential for some of a particular group to be dangerous it is ok to deprive all them of even basic human rights can just as easily progress to, since some gun owners have proven to be dangerous maybe it would be best to eliminate them. We can just classify them as dangerous mental defectives.

It's easy enough to find plenty of posts just on this site and this forum by professed gun owners reflecting rampant paranoia bordering on the delusional and hostility and threats (or fantasies) of violence.
Old 10-30-2013, 16:49   #30
vart

Quote:
Maybe because the founding fathers brought God into first. They were clear that the govt. They created was only sufficient for a moral and religious people.

But then you're so much smarter than them aren't you?
The Okie Corral

"That's a big bite of crap sandwich, my friend..."

Rabbi - "Anyways, that is a beautiful car. Bill probably already farted in it."
vart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 17:26   #31
Gunboat1
Far Traveler

Quote:
Maybe because the founding fathers brought God into first. They were clear that the govt. They created was only sufficient for a moral and religious people.

Awesome post - right on target.

"The sum of virtue is to be sociable with them that will be sociable, and formidable to them that will not." - Hobbes
Gunboat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 17:44   #32
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
Some people are just pure evil. They have no respect for human life, not even their own.

I'm convinced that today's society is creating these people by the bus load every day.

...e.

I have no doubt our current society facilitates alot of the problems but I believe some are just born evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowHead View Post
People like Lanza are born, not made. To blame society is simply passing the buck. HH
I agree - one clue is that some of these people have siblings who do not turn our nearly as bad.
Quote:
Until humans understand there are dangerously deficient humans and that life isn't special we will have these problems. Every one of these school and theater shooting idiots should have been dead a long time ago.
I agree there are some among us who we ought to be able to admit should not be among us. We can debate whether to incarcerate them or sentence then to death but we ought to be able to agree they should never walk among us again.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 18:04   #33
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
The argument could be made that had the mentally deranged murderers been purges from Nazi Germany, what happened wouldnt have happened.

So, would we call Mengele insane? Did they eliminate him?
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 18:18   #34
tsmo1066
Happy Smiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPaladin View Post
How about dirtbag was mentally ill and NOT USING his medication? I would guess something of that nature to be very possible.

Severe mental illness patients sometimes just go cold turkey on their meds because they don't like how the meds make them feel. I really wish the mental institutions could be brought back in some form. There are people that do not belong in jail, but are to dangerous to be on their own also.
This.

The problem was never that Lanza was 'on something' when he shot those kids. The problem is that Lanza had a long history of mental illness and obviously went off of his meds. A paranoid schizophrenic or severe manic depressive that suddenly goes off his/her meds can be every bit as dangerous and unstable as any drug-crazed addict under the influence.

Last edited by tsmo1066; 10-30-2013 at 18:19..
tsmo1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 18:24   #35
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post

I agree there are some among us who we ought to be able to admit should not be among us. We can debate whether to incarcerate them or sentence then to death but we ought to be able to agree they should never walk among us again.
Are we talking about society as a whole or just GlockTalk?

:D
Old 10-30-2013, 19:15   #36
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
As already pointed out, Nazi Germany's programs to purify society started with the mental and physical handicapped. The phrase " life unworthy of live" (in German: "Lebensunwertes Leben") was a very real Nazi slogan. Adolf Hitler saw no place for the mentally and physically disabled in his vision of a "racially pure" Germany.

This was all began before the Nazi ever considered mass killing of Jews. Once the Nazi got comfortable with the idea of mass killings, the killing Jews and others was a natural next step.

You gotta know your history, son.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.

Last edited by Patchman; 10-30-2013 at 19:17..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 21:14   #37
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Does it really matter if he was taking meds or not? The guy was a nutcase either way and had no place in society. He should have been locked up at the least.
Old 10-30-2013, 23:44   #38
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

What about those who killed innocents for their God?
Old 10-30-2013, 23:46   #39
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:

If the Founding Fathers meant America to be a theocracy, then why did they draft up and passed the First Amendment?
Old 10-31-2013, 00:54   #40
Harper

But this doesn't fit my monological belief system. Now I have to make up another conspiracy theory to support the old one.
The Okie Corral
Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:04   #41
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
If the Founding Fathers meant America to be a theocracy, then why did they draft up and passed the First Amendment?
Who said anything about the founding fathers wanted a theocracy? That is precisely what they did not want. They also did not want God banished from the public square.

There is a reason they stressed the importance of morality and religious belief. Both stress self restraint by the individual rather than a "because I can" mentality. Which they warned would lead to anarchy and ultimately tyranny.
Old 10-31-2013, 15:01   #42
ColdSteelNail

50mg of thorazine at bedtime the night before and we would have never heard of Sandy Hook.
ColdSteelNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 15:07   #43
ColdSteelNail

[QUOTE=Dragoon44;20727009]Are we talking about society as a whole or just GlockTalk?

OH!!!. You're serious.
ColdSteelNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 17:41   #44
norton

I am reading a book about a male registered nurse who was a total nutbag and killed hundreds of his patients by injecting them with prescription meds.
In the end, you can't do anything about these types of people. Maybe their dog, maybe the voices in their heads, maybe what they perceive to be the injustices done to them make them do what they do. They will kill no matter what, with whatever means available.
Old 10-31-2013, 17:51   #45
Bruce H

Well lets just let all of them lead thier lives as they see fit. We wouldn't want to do anything to curtail their right to life liberty and the persuit of happiness. If several innocents get killed in their persuits, well that is the price we pay for being free.
Old 10-31-2013, 17:52   #46
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Are we talking about society as a whole or just GlockTalk?

:D
Who gets to judge which GTers are worthy of life?
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 10-31-2013, 17:55   #47
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Well lets just let all of them lead thier lives as they see fit. We wouldn't want to do anything to curtail their right to life liberty and the persuit of happiness. If several innocents get killed in their persuits, well that is the price we pay for being free.
I am sure that others would say the same about some of your habits.
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 10-31-2013, 18:49   #48
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
Isn't that basically the anti gun argument? Innocents are being killed. If just one of them would be saved by restricting the right to own guns it would be worth it.
Old 10-31-2013, 18:50   #49
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
Who gets to judge which GTers are worthy of life?
Eric could start a new forum "GT Survivor", every week a poster would be voted out of existence.
Old 10-31-2013, 19:27   #50
Bruce H

Quote:
Isn't that basically the anti gun argument? Innocents are being killed. If just one of them would be saved by restricting the right to own guns it would be worth it.
No it is just the opposite. If there is no control then everybody is free to do as they please.