Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-29-2013, 23:20   #1
biggs1199

CC accidental mag release when sitting

I have a gen4 glock 30 and an IWB crossbreed holster. I carried it for the first time tonight and after getting out of my truck I noticed that the mag was loose. So I started messing around with what could have happened. I noticed that whenever I sit down the gun pushes toward my body and the magazine release button is hit. I carry at the five o'clock position and I found that if I push the handle/grip of the gun toward my body with any amount of force it pretty consistently hits the magazine release button. I absolutely love this gun but if this is a gen4 issue, especially one that's not fixable, then it's a deal breaker for me and I'm looking for a new gun or maybe a new holster.

Does anybody else have this problem?
How do I stop this from happening?
Are there smaller magazine release buttons or at least shallower ones?
biggs1199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 23:35   #2
ACM73

I've never had this issue with my gen 4 glocks and crossbreed holsters. Are you overweight? Maybe that would cause the problem. I'm wearing a glock 19 in a crossbreed right now and I can't get the mag to accidentally release even when trying to make it happen. I'm curious to hear more on this, whether or not this is common, because I've never heard of it happening before.
ACM73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 23:41   #3
biggs1199

What position do you carry your CCW in?

No I'm not overweight. I'm actually pretty skinny but I work out so I'm not all skin and bones.

Also, when looking at the holster there is a little indentation where the magazine release is being pushed into the holster leather. I may just take a dremel and shave that part off. But it's still disturbing knowing that if I truly need my gun I may only have one shot... the one in the pipe.
Old 10-29-2013, 23:42   #4
cowboy1964

If this happens with Gen 4s it could happen with ANY gun. The Gen 4 mag release is not THAT large or weak. I would try a different holster first.

This is one reason you carry a spare mag. Just in case.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 23:44   #5
JimBianchi
CLM Number 25
Da Da

Don't dremel it, heat it up with a hair dryer and push it a bit.

You can do it this way and not permanently alter the holster.
SAF

The scariest words in the English language: I'm from the government and I'm here to help! President Ronald Reagan
JimBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 23:46   #6
biggs1199

I mean dremel the magazine release. If I mess up they are not expensive to replace.
Old 10-30-2013, 19:42   #7
biggs1199

Yay, problem fixed. I filed down the magazine release to be almost flush with the frame. It is still easy to operate and impossible for it to accidentally release the magazine while in the holster. I've tried sitting with it on and intentionally trying to get it to release but it stays in there. I can't for the life of me get the thing to accidentally release. It works perfectly now.
Old 10-30-2013, 19:49   #8
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

I had it happen to my G23 once. Get home and the mag isn't seated. Nothing like having essentially a 1 shot self defense pistol.

Certainly a strong argument for the HK / Walther style mag release.

Glad you got it fixed.
BuckyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 20:19   #9
IGotIt
No Demlibtards

I saw a motorcycle cop one afternoon with a mag about to fall from his gun and I couldn't get his attention so I called 911 and gave his last location hoping they could call him and give him heads up.
Old 10-30-2013, 21:37   #10
colin1230

Can I assume your CB does not have the Combat Cut?
colin1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:07   #11
SouthernBoyVA

I had this happen once with a leather holster, which I still have. I carry at the 3:00 'o clock position so it must have occurred in one of my vehicles. Big surprise when I got home and removed my gun to find the magazine loose in its well. Needless to say, I rarely ever use leather any more for Glocks.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:30   #12
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
If this happens with Gen 4s it could happen with ANY gun. The Gen 4 mag release is not THAT large or weak. I would try a different holster first.

This is one reason you carry a spare mag. Just in case.
I agree. It is not so much a gun issue, but rather a holster issue.

The other end of the spectrum is going for a mag release under stress and not being able to quickly and smoothly get that mag out.

All pluses and minuses to balance out for your needs.

I've heard of guys with those hybrid holsters using a knife to carve out an indent in the leather for the mag release so the holster doesn't hit it.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:26   #13
Darkangel1846

I've seen that happen with numerous handguns and holsters, I've even seen that happen with a 1911 and a Mil. holster. I even remember drawing my Glock 17 a few times and my thumb hitting the mag release dropping my mag. Others thought it was funny and I corrected that incident very quickly.

It never seems to happen when you use a real ridged holster though

Last edited by Darkangel1846; 10-31-2013 at 08:27..
Darkangel1846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:45   #14
SCmasterblaster

Glad to hear that you got it fixed.
Old 11-04-2013, 20:18   #15
red2rider

My OWB Fobus holster does that with my G35 gen3 which has the ext mag release. Did it 1 time at the pistol range before practice night. But it only did it when I applied pressure on the gun in toward my body. When I got home that night I checked with my G4 27 as that's what I CC with that holster. Good to go thank goodness. Been using the holster for almost 6mo.
red2rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 20:42   #16
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggs1199 View Post
I mean dremel the magazine release. If I mess up they are not expensive to replace.
That isn't a good idea. The factory magazine release is pretty low and making it lower can make it very hard to release in an emergency. You depend on the gun to save your life, you only have to depend on the holster to carry the gun. It's a lot safer to modify the holster.
Old 11-04-2013, 20:48   #17
Clusterfrack

I agree with Bren. This is a holster issue. If it were mine, I would toss the holster and get a better one ASAP.

Tags
accidental, gen4, magazine, release, sitting