Tiro Fijo

Can U Believe This CRAP??!!

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/...ir-advantages/
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:49   #2
tehan2
NRA & GOAL

I'll throw the flame suit on.....

as a healthy,white, heterosexual, Christian male we are awarded certain advantages. Some are historic, and others perceived.

There are no stereotypes that exist (well almost none).

I see it in business all the time. I work with a couple guys (and a woman) and we all have the same exact job. Our company treats us ALL the same, EXACTLY the same. Our clients however treat us different. I've seen our "black guy" ignored and treated poorly while cold calling (it's "funny" when you make the call together and the prospect doesn't even acknowledge his presence)...For a while I had a female boss, clients assumed she worked for me because she's a woman. And the Spanish guy I work with is warmly greeted by "staff" but has a tough time with managers and owners.

So, while our .gov may put systems in place to penalize the straight, Christian, white male, business still favors us

I'll also share a "perception story" from years ago. I worked for an Asian Restaurant chain. 99% of the employees in their locations were Asian. The owner would ONLY hire White Males to manage his locations. The perception was that we could be "trusted" more than his fellow Asians.

So as much as we'd like to pretend that that Racism is dead, it is still alive...it just hides a little bit more than it use to
tehan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:04   #3
NMG26

Most of my company First Sergeants in the the Army were black. That is the highest Non Commissioned Officer within the company. I saw very few black Commissioned Officers. Of course I got out over 20 years ago. I wonder if things have changed?
Old 11-01-2013, 08:52   #4
Booker

I was astounded when I returned home from the Swiss Colony Store and found this manual inside my Crock of ****!
Booker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:57   #5
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Yeah. White Christian Males are the debbil. Of course, we could bar them from service. Pretty sure conservative Christians are the largest subset within the .mil. (Of all races.)

Funny aside - went hunting with two Iraq war (among other) vet chopper crewmen on Saturday. They were talking about Fort. . . . Hood? Said the mess hall had 2 TV's. One always had Fox. The other, CNN. Said the Fox side would be packed and there would be 3 guys watching CNN.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:15   #6
frank4570
Feral human

Yep, it's true. I don't know what to do about it. Humans like other humans who are similar to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehan2 View Post

as a healthy,white, heterosexual, Christian male we are awarded certain advantages. Some are historic, and others perceived.

I see it in business all the time. I work with a couple guys (and a woman) and we all have the same exact job. Our company treats us ALL the same, EXACTLY the same. Our clients however treat us different. I've seen our "black guy" ignored and treated poorly while cold calling (it's "funny" when you make the call together and the prospect doesn't even acknowledge his presence)...For a while I had a female boss, clients assumed she worked for me because she's a woman. And the Spanish guy I work with is warmly greeted by "staff" but has a tough time with managers and owners.

So, while our .gov may put systems in place to penalize the straight, Christian, white male, business still favors us

I'll also share a "perception story" from years ago. I worked for an Asian Restaurant chain. 99% of the employees in their locations were Asian. The owner would ONLY hire White Males to manage his locations. The perception was that we could be "trusted" more than his fellow Asians.

So as much as we'd like to pretend that that Racism is dead, it is still alive...it just hides a little bit more than it use to

For too long people have said "screw NY, IL, etc" or "that'll never happen here." Yes, it will eventually. If we dont start standing up together now, it will never stop.-ilgunguygt
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:16   #7
Chesafreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMG26 View Post
Most of my company First Sergeants in the the Army were black. That is the highest Non Commissioned Officer within the company. I saw very few black Commissioned Officers. Of course I got out over 20 years ago. I wonder if things have changed?
I retired from the Navy almost 6 years ago. I don't think it has changed. Think about it this way: Take a minority that is around 15 percent of the population, now remove all but the top X percent, the high achievers. That leaves a minority of a minority available to qualify to become officers.

An ROTC recruiter told me that they allow applications/selection of minorities with lower scores than what is accepted from Caucasians to try to boost the ranks with minorities.

I was once the victim of reverse racism, or equal opportunity while serving in the Navy. When I was up for 1st Class Petty Officer, I studied my butt off and carried around flash cards in my back pocket. Anytime I was standing still or sitting and waiting I was studying. I worked hard for it. I was in the running for CAP (Command Advancement Program) because of my exemplary record. My chief told me that when they had to choose between me and the minority, we were equal in every category except test score. They gave it to the minority because they felt that with my test scores I would eventually make it on my own without the board's help. I did make eventually get advanced on my own, but this guy was a cook and couldn't score well on a non technical test, while I was in Aviation Electronics and had a much more difficult test to study for. From my point of view, my so-called white privilege was actually my desire to work hard and achieve. Fast forward a few years and I found myself working for a black warrant officer who couldn't speak or write clearly, and had very poor leadership (yelling and screaming at the chief in front of the troops, favoritism, and relationships with females under his command). I have also talked to a retired Master Chief who has sat on Navy Chief selection boards who said that females and minorities below the cutoff point get a second look, while white males do not.

Some call it "white privilege", I call it putting in hard work. If minorities do get treated as inferior, as tehan2 pointed out, is that because their ethnic group earned the reputation? Think about how Jesse Jackson once said “There is nothing more painful for me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery—then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved.”

Last edited by Chesafreak; 11-01-2013 at 09:20..
Chesafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:25   #8
frank4570
Feral human

If it was a level playing field I would have a lot of respect for a minority who made it to the top in spite of difficulties. With the preferences, I tend to think that if a minority advances, it's because he was given special treatment. Maybe I shouldn't think that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesafreak View Post
I retired from the Navy almost 6 years ago. I don't think it has changed. Think about it this way: Take a minority that is around 15 percent of the population, now remove all but the top X percent, the high achievers. That leaves a minority of a minority available to qualify to become officers.

An ROTC recruiter told me that they allow applications/selection of minorities with lower scores than what is accepted from Caucasians to try to boost the ranks with minorities.

I was once the victim of reverse racism, or equal opportunity while serving in the Navy. When I was up for 1st Class Petty Officer, I studied my butt off and carried around flash cards in my back pocket. Anytime I was standing still or sitting and waiting I was studying. I worked hard for it. I was in the running for CAP (Command Advancement Program) because of my exemplary record. My chief told me that when they had to choose between me and the minority, we were equal in every category except test score. They gave it to the minority because they felt that with my test scores I would eventually make it on my own without the board's help. I did make eventually get advanced on my own, but this guy was a cook and couldn't score well on a non technical test, while I was in Aviation Electronics and had a much more difficult test to study for. From my point of view, my so-called white privilege was actually my desire to work hard and achieve. Fast forward a few years and I found myself working for a black warrant officer who couldn't speak or write clearly, and had very poor leadership (yelling and screaming at the chief in front of the troops, favoritism, and relationships with females under his command). I have also talked to a retired Master Chief who has sat on Navy Chief selection boards who said that females and minorities below the cutoff point get a second look, while white males do not.

Some call it "white privilege", I call it putting in hard work. If minorities do get treated as inferior, as tehan2 pointed out, is that because their ethnic group earned the reputation? Think about how Jesse Jackson once said “There is nothing more painful for me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery—then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved.”

For too long people have said "screw NY, IL, etc" or "that'll never happen here." Yes, it will eventually. If we dont start standing up together now, it will never stop.-ilgunguygt
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:01   #9
Sharkey

Quote:
Yeah but the bright side of it is that a half minority has achieved the position of Commander in Chief.

It doesn't seem to be working too well and I for one blame the white man for it.

Last edited by Sharkey; 11-01-2013 at 11:01..
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:22   #10
NMG26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post

It doesn't seem to be working too well and I for one blame the white man for it.
Well the ones that work the hardest normally get the blame.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:24   #11
Chesafreak

Quote:
Yeah but the bright side of it is that a half minority has achieved the position of Commander in Chief.

I understand your satisfaction with the fact that we have our first African-American POTUS/CiC. What do YOU think about the job he is doing? Do you agree or disagree with his political views and his actions?

How is it not working too well, and why do you blame the white man for it? I don't understand that statement, please clarify.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:27   #12
JBnTX
None

This is stupid and racist.

Last edited by JBnTX; 11-01-2013 at 11:30..
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:28   #13
tsmo1066
Happy Smiley

Quote:

Are there cultural and racial stereotypes? Of course. Is this an excuse for lowering the bar in order to "help" minorities achieve the same rank/pay/job as non-minorities? NO. Is it a valid excuse for erecting artificial barriers against innocent non-minorities whose only crime is having the wrong skin color? HELL NO.

Whether some elements of a given culture hold certain stereotypical views or not doesn't change the central fact that nobody gets to pick the color of their skin. penalizing one group in the name of "equality of outcome" does nothing but promote further racial hatred and stereotyping, and prolongs (even aggravates) the real issue which is the cultural and racial stereotyping itself.

The correct way to address the inequities you (and the Army) speak of is to continue campaigning to change minds and attitudes, NOT selective penalization of certain groups based on skin color. Unfortunately, changing minds takes TIME, while selective penalization can be enacted with the stroke of a pen...which is why today's politicians and leaders tend to gravitate towards quotas, race-based qualification adjustments and other actions that offer an easy short-term fix, but actually only perpetuate and aggravate the real problem.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:34   #14
Chesafreak

Quote:
So no blame goes to the black man who sold other blacks into slavery? Where do you think the white man bought the black man from? No blame goes to the blacks who don't take advantage of the system that is now skewed in their favor, when the government pays and pays and pushes colleges and employers to employ or accept into a college black people over whites with better qualifications/test scores, yet blacks still don't care to take advantage of it? Why no blame for those blacks? Even the Mexican illegal immigrants seem to care more about excelling than the black community as a whole. Why don't you blame the Mexican illegal immigrants who are taking low skilled jobs away and eating your lunch? All I hear is lots of blame being placed solely upon the white man and nobody from the black community taking any responsibility.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:38   #15
Rizzo
Garbage Day!

If it's so good and privileged to be a straight white, why do we always get made the fool in TV commercials? How many commercials do you see where there's this dumb-looking white guy schlepping around with the inferior product, and a minority and/or a woman with a smug look on their face, enjoying the superior product?

And don't even get me started with ADT commercials. I don't know which is worse-- the ones that show nothing but clean-cut white guys in their 20's breaking and entering, or the one where the terrified "dad" cowers in the corner with the kids, while the wife bravely and sternly talks on the phone with the cops.

Or how about (I'm ranting, I know) the movie "Badass" with Danny Trejo, the story of Amber Lamps... In real life, the antagonist was black, but the movie changed it to two white guys.

Tehan said it- racism is still around, but we can't complain about it without being called a racist.

Last edited by Rizzo; 11-01-2013 at 11:39..
Rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:38   #16
eb07
Sharkin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkey View Post
yeah but the bright side of it is that a half minority has achieved the position of commander in chief.

It doesn't seem to be working too well and i for one blame the white man for it.

racist
eb07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:38   #17
NMG26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
This is stupid and racist.

Which is which?

Old 11-01-2013, 11:49   #18
Glock!9

Send a message via AIM to Glock!9
Quote:

I think there is some local culture involved because i have seen in business many times the minority getting privileged by companies as well as clients.
Also, attractive women are statistically better at sales...
Old 11-01-2013, 12:12   #19
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

So much for the old philosophy of letting the best man win.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:15   #20
Sharkey

Quote:
I understand your satisfaction with the fact that we have our first African-American POTUS/CiC. What do YOU think about the job he is doing? Do you agree or disagree with his political views and his actions?

How is it not working too well, and why do you blame the white man for it? I don't understand that statement, please clarify.
I must be off today, my sarcasm escaped you. The pentagon said whites were privileged so I expounded on it. As for what is not working too well, that would be too long a list and there is a long list of leftist elitist elected officials to blame. Prior to revisionist history, I would say white liberty minded thinkers made us into a great country we use to be.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:16   #21
tsmo1066
Happy Smiley

It boggles the mind to think that "progressive" liberals and government leaders could possibly believe that the cure for racism is MORE RACISM.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:18   #22
gatorboy

Quote:

I judge people by their appearance (clothes, clean cut hair cut, clean shaven or manicured facial hair) and they way they conduct themselves (eye contact, well-spoken) over skin color, sex or race.

I know this about myself, don't just kid myself. I also don't pretend some races and colors don't have a higher percentage of dirtbags than others.
gatorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:25   #23
nmk

Quote:
I must be off today, my sarcasm escaped you.
I thought it was pretty obvious what you were saying.
nmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:26   #24
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmo1066 View Post
It boggles the mind to think that "progressive" liberals and government leaders could possibly believe that the cure for racism is MORE RACISM.
Believe it, bro.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:34   #25
HiddenEyes
It can be done

The funny thing is that liberals think that printing manuals and making people sit through classes will solve racism.

More and more I don't think racism even exists in the way that media and the left pretends that it does. They have certainly turned it into nothing more than social warfare and a political tool.

Mr. HE

Moi Нет sprechen español
HiddenEyes is offline   Reply With Quote