Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 22:01   #41
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducowti View Post
On that note, how many of you practice for this scenario at the range?
We do. They even specifically built it into scenarios so that if we don't do a tactical reload during a lull, then we would run out of ammo and go to slide lock in the middle of the next engagement.
Old 10-27-2013, 22:35   #42
mntrpr

It looks like backup arrived in under 2 minutes. Probably the longest 2 minutes of his life.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:11   #43
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4949shooter View Post
Yeah I get it. He could have done a tactical reload.

But as was mentioned, he wasn't at slide lock, so we can cut the guy a little slack I think. I am sure his training officers have gone over the issue with him.

Other than that, who here thinks they could have done better given the same situation?
Totally agree. Everyone knows these things often require some luck. Luckily he didn't need to rely on a tactical reload.

All in all, I think just about anyone would be hard pressed to perform better than he did in that situation
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
Old 10-28-2013, 06:04   #44
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducowti View Post
On that note, how many of you practice for this scenario at the range?

I know I don't. This is a good time to renew that skill. With the fat Glock mags and my short stubby fingers, it's not the most natural act for me. All the more reason to practice, I guess.

As far as I'm concerned, the LEO did just fine.

In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:48   #45
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

I can attest that most folks certainly don't practice movement while shooting drills simply because of the range rules or the range they have to use.

That is why I am glad to have my NLT pistol to fill in that gap. Shooting and moving was a big weak area in my training cycle.

Folks, if you want to commit suicide, have the courage or at least the balls to off yourself rather than make someone do it for you.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Old 10-28-2013, 10:32   #46
volsbear
Lifetime Membership
IWannaBeSedated

Quote:
Originally Posted by msu_grad_121 View Post
Am I missing something? I didn't see him go to slide lock.
Why would you wait until you're out to reload?

"He'd look better with lividity" - BlueIron

Black Rifle Club - RRA-PSG
S&W Club - 22227

Last edited by volsbear; 10-28-2013 at 10:32..
Old 10-28-2013, 10:34   #47
volsbear
Lifetime Membership
IWannaBeSedated

did anyone else notice that the officers responding to help him had black bands on their badges? or was that just me seeing things...

S&W Club - 22227
Old 10-28-2013, 10:59   #48
merlynusn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
Folks, I give you the value of the body worn camera, for both training and investigation purposes.
My only problem with it is you can't see what he does. You see the reaction to it and the words beforehand. But the officer reacted quicker than I could see what the suspect did.

If I missed the gun showing in the video, let me know, but I watched it a couple times and didn't see it.

Just a limitation to the body cameras.

I think the LEO did a good job considering.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:25   #49
Kilrain
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlynusn View Post
My only problem with it is you can't see what he does. You see the reaction to it and the words beforehand. But the officer reacted quicker than I could see what the suspect did.

If I missed the gun showing in the video, let me know, but I watched it a couple times and didn't see it.

Just a limitation to the body cameras.

I think the LEO did a good job considering.
Cop Talk

He is the pork of crime

- Michael Hurley
Old 10-28-2013, 12:13   #50
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

At normal speed, it could be a limitation. However, as Kilrain posted, you can see the pistol and it sure looks real to me.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Old 10-28-2013, 12:15   #51
volsbear
Lifetime Membership
IWannaBeSedated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
At normal speed, it could be a limitation. However, as Kilrain posted, you can see the pistol and it sure looks real to me.
It looks real as a still. Imagine how it looked at life speed.

We had a gun call a few years ago like this. Mama says her little baby has a gun. My partner and I go look. Sure enough, it looks like a Glock. Summon the evidence tech. Upon first glance, he says yep, it's a Glock. It wasn't until he actually handled it that he discovered it was an airsoft.

S&W Club - 22227
Old 10-28-2013, 12:46   #52
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by volsbear View Post
It looks real as a still. Imagine how it looked at life speed.

We had a gun call a few years ago like this. Mama says her little baby has a gun. My partner and I go look. Sure enough, it looks like a Glock. Summon the evidence tech. Upon first glance, he says yep, it's a Glock. It wasn't until he actually handled it that he discovered it was an airsoft.
Most of those airsoft guns are as realistic as they can make them. A lot of people that play airsoft will paint over the orange tip in order to make them more realistic "for milsim games". Until I picked up some of them, I couldn't tell the difference between some of them and "real steel" firearms they were emulating. From a LE perspective, I can EASILY see how an airsoft gun can look realistic enough to get someone shot.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
Old 10-28-2013, 13:40   #53
The Fist Of Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStudent View Post
Most of those airsoft guns are as realistic as they can make them. A lot of people that play airsoft will paint over the orange tip in order to make them more realistic "for milsim games". Until I picked up some of them, I couldn't tell the difference between some of them and "real steel" firearms they were emulating. From a LE perspective, I can EASILY see how an airsoft gun can look realistic enough to get someone shot.
I came home from work one day a few years ago as the local PD evidence tech was recovering a handgun from my neighbors shrubbery in front of his house.

His two teenage boys had been robbing people in the neighborhood at gunpoint. They threw one of the guns in the bushes while running from the police.

It turns out they were airsoft guns, but the one I saw had no orange tip, and had they pointed it at me, I would have shot them.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Old 10-28-2013, 15:33   #54
G-34

im not going to condemn him for defending himself but seriously?

16 ROUNDS?!?!

looked like they all went into the back of the guys head!!

why does he feel the need to dump a mag into him?

2 or 3 or 4 shots and then see if hes still coming at you! if i had to shoot and then dumped a mag i would go to jail for OVER use of force.

this guy wont, hes an LEO and will get the BOTD

he probably died after the first 2 rounds.

so again why 16 effing rounds???

"There is nothing so terrible as ignorance in motion.."
-Skyhook

Last edited by G-34; 10-28-2013 at 15:35..
Old 10-28-2013, 15:42   #55
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Because the "fire two and assess" gets the wrong people killed. Anyplace that teaches or suggests that is stuck at a 1980 level of training and should be avoided like the plague.

And I challenge you to back your assertion that you would be crucified for doing the same thing.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Old 10-28-2013, 15:44   #56
volsbear
Lifetime Membership
IWannaBeSedated

Quote:
Originally Posted by kswiss View Post
im not going to condemn him for defending himself but seriously?

16 ROUNDS?!?!

looked like they all went into the back of the guys head!!

why does he feel the need to dump a mag into him?

2 or 3 or 4 shots and then see if hes still coming at you! if i had to shoot and then dumped a mag i would go to jail for OVER use of force.

this guy wont, hes an LEO and will get the BOTD

Oh so you should see if the guy returns fire??

How many gun fights you been in?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

S&W Club - 22227
Old 10-28-2013, 15:47   #57
Kilrain
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kswiss View Post

Perhaps you've not investigated enough shootings into and through automobiles to know that projectiles do strange things when forced to pass through glass, sheet metal, seat, reinforcement beams in doors, etc., particularly at odd angles like those in the video.

The real answer to your question is, he fired 16 rounds because at the 16th round, he felt that the threat was neutralized. If the officer had believed that the threat was neutralized after 2 rounds or 10 or 12, he would have stopped firing then. If he'd believed the threat was still imminent after 16, he'd have kept firing.

And not to be too clinical but if the suspect died after the first two, what does it matter how many additional shots were fired, he was dead, right?

Deadly force is deadly force, 1 shot or 16, when you apply it, you have to be sure it is effective or you may, in turn, be on the receiving end of it.

He is the pork of crime

- Michael Hurley
Old 10-28-2013, 15:48   #58
G-34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
Because the "fire two and assess" gets the wrong people killed. Anyplace that teaches or suggests that is stuck at a 1980 level of training and should be avoided like the plague.

And I challenge you to back your assertion that you would be crucified for doing the same thing.

im NOT LEO, they get the benefit of the doubt alot of the time just because they wear a badge.

if i dumped the mag of my glock 34 into someone in self defense, that would be seen as an OVER USE OF FORCE in my mind...

i cant back it with data or any solid proof but my gut tells me if i was in that situation i would either be shot just for holding the gun

0r number 2 i would be charged with murder because while i was defending myself i went and used way too much force.

its just my gut telling me not to use that many rounds unless the individual is still ACTIVELY coming at me with a weapon

flame me if you want but its just not something i would do

-Skyhook
Old 10-28-2013, 15:49   #59
G-34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrain View Post
Perhaps you've not investigated enough shootings into and through automobiles to know that projectiles do strange things when forced to pass through glass, sheet metal, seat, reinforcement beams in doors, etc., particularly at odd angles like those in the video.

The real answer to your question is, he fired 16 rounds because at the 16th round, he felt that the threat was neutralized. If the officer had believed that the threat was neutralized after 2 rounds or 10 or 12, he would have stopped firing then. If he'd believed the threat was still imminent after 16, he'd have kept firing.

And not to be too clinical but if the suspect died after the first two, what does it matter how many additional shots were fired, he was dead, right?

Deadly force is deadly force, 1 shot or 16, when you apply it, you have to be sure it is effective or you may, in turn, be on the receiving end of it.

in my state, over use of force is frowned upon

-Skyhook
Old 10-28-2013, 15:51   #60
G-34

[QUOTE=volsbear;20721588]Oh so you should see if the guy returns fire??

NO! shoot and run to something or somewhere it is/feels safer

How many gun fights you been in?

0. i plan to keep it that way

-Skyhook

Closed Thread