Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 13:24   #21
Vigilant

Quote:
Originally Posted by txleapd View Post
I know he was carrying a Glock, but we can't tell which model. If it was a G17, that's 17+1, so it would explain the slide not locking back.

A reload would have been appropriate, but I'm not about to criticize a guy who just went through that.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
I don't see it as criticism myself. I see a big difference between the constructive thoughts we have seen here so far, and MMQBing by those who have never been there themselves, and never will.
Old 10-26-2013, 13:40   #22
The Fist Of Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post
Do they still teach tactical reload? IDK.
We just stopped. Not sure what the justification was.

Edit: we just stopped teaching the magazine exchange (replacing a partial with a full mag with a round in the chamber).

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Last edited by The Fist Of Goodness; 10-26-2013 at 13:43..
Old 10-26-2013, 13:43   #23
Vigilant

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fist Of Goodness View Post
We just stopped. Not sure what the justification was.

We get a brief mention, but nothing more. Double taps only, none of this wasting ammo stuff with multiple shots.
Old 10-26-2013, 13:50   #24
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Folks, I give you the value of the body worn camera, for both training and investigation purposes.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

One day closer to retirement . . .
Old 10-26-2013, 14:01   #25
S. Kelly

The Glock worked perfectly!
Old 10-26-2013, 15:29   #26
msu_grad_121
BOOSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fist Of Goodness View Post
Edit: we just stopped teaching the magazine exchange (replacing a partial with a full mag with a round in the chamber).
Isn't that what a tactical reload is? It's what I understand it to be.

I don't look at it as criticism either, per se. There's nothing wrong with having your mind prepared on the chance you might go through something like this, and that's what I see this as.

I wouldn't criticize, because it turned out okay. Just like I won't criticize the officer I used to work with who decided to go hands on with a knife wielding hostage taker. It turned out for the best, so I've got nothing to say. Same here. I wouldn't have tried to wrestle a knife away from a hostages' throat, and I would have swapped mags after the initial volley, but both situations were resolved successfully, so I'll keep my yap shut.

Prayers for the officer, hope he gets any and all help he needs.
Old 10-26-2013, 16:29   #27
Top_Shot_31

Remarkable poise by the officer on his radio call-out, given the circumstances.

At least now the part about the Social Security number makes sense.
Fast forward 6 months for the DUI trial. Prosecutor is reviewing the booking room video and asks me why I am moon-walking while the drunk offender is hopping around in slow motion in a big white suit.
Old 10-26-2013, 16:32   #28
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

I love the comments to videos like these:

Quote:
Murray Machado 1 day ago

**** these terrorist-police we want u 666 ****s out now and we have special plans for u real soon so watch the fuc out. kill this murdering cop! do u want to know a little secret, felons carry guns bc they know something that we dont about these pigs. they know that it is waaaaaaay too easy to go to prison these days all on the lie of non-american or a pig. this is how history books were written,resistance from the king,ring any bells? america is a non government nation,but what went wrong?
Uh, yeah skippy. Will that be after you climb out of your folks' basement or after you get done with the midnight shift at Burger King?

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

One day closer to retirement . . .
Old 10-26-2013, 16:45   #29
Top_Shot_31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
Uh, yeah skippy. Will that be after you climb out of your folks' basement or after you get done with the midnight shift at Burger King?
I was actually going to remark that most of the comments on the video seemed to be pretty favorable for once. Always has to be a "that guy."
Fast forward 6 months for the DUI trial. Prosecutor is reviewing the booking room video and asks me why I am moon-walking while the drunk offender is hopping around in slow motion in a big white suit.
Old 10-26-2013, 17:05   #30
steveksux
Massive Member

World of difference taking a situation and discussing options that might be better than the choices made in the heat of battle, realizing things rarely take the optimal path under stress... Unless you talk about these situations after the fact and now that you have the time to analyze them to the Nth degree, come up with additional options that you just might remember if you are ever on a similar situation because you thought about them, discussed them today.

That's not criticizing, that's learning from someone else's experience, combined with decades worth of the collective wisdom of colleagues.

Randy

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Last edited by steveksux; 10-26-2013 at 17:07..
Old 10-26-2013, 17:08   #31
4949shooter

Yeah I get it. He could have done a tactical reload.

But as was mentioned, he wasn't at slide lock, so we can cut the guy a little slack I think. I am sure his training officers have gone over the issue with him.

Other than that, who here thinks they could have done better given the same situation?
Old 10-26-2013, 17:20   #32
SAR
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Anyone notice how the news media couldn't resist a dig against the officer? They had to mention that on a prior occasion, his Department had tried to fire this officer for excessive force, but ultimately he was vindicated. Ok, well, is he was cleared of wrongdoing, then why mention it? Just to stir the pot. The media is not our friend.
Old 10-26-2013, 18:41   #33
Newcop761
CLM Number 145
Charter Lifetime Member

Yeah, I saw that too.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:08   #34
ronduke

Officer had a history-of being retaliated against by dept.

Amazing back story of how the UAPD and it's chief attempted to screw over this officer in the past.

http://www.ohio.com/news/local/ua-of...tated-1.399356
Old 10-27-2013, 06:19   #35
steveksux
Massive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronduke View Post
Amazing back story of how the UAPD and it's chief attempted to screw over this officer in the past.

http://www.ohio.com/news/local/ua-of...tated-1.399356
Never going to won that battle, he needs to lateral to another department. Chief can harass him easily in real time, he has to respond by lawsuit in slow motion.

Needs new chief or new job.

Randy

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Old 10-27-2013, 06:31   #36
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Burnette had sought damages from UA and police Chief Paul Callahan, who had fired Burnette in September 2009 after the officer was accused of using excessive force while making an arrest.

An arbitrator in June 2010 overturned Callahanís decision and ordered Burnette reinstated to the department with back pay.

However, before (Burnette) was allowed to return to duty, Callahan retaliated by ordering him to undergo psychological and medical exams, as well as additional training that included attending a firearms recertification course.
Yup, sounds like this chief was truly a monkey's ASH.

In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:46   #37
The Fist Of Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by msu_grad_121 View Post
Isn't that what a tactical reload is? It's what I understand it to be.

I don't look at it as criticism either, per se. There's nothing wrong with having your mind prepared on the chance you might go through something like this, and that's what I see this as.

I wouldn't criticize, because it turned out okay. Just like I won't criticize the officer I used to work with who decided to go hands on with a knife wielding hostage taker. It turned out for the best, so I've got nothing to say. Same here. I wouldn't have tried to wrestle a knife away from a hostages' throat, and I would have swapped mags after the initial volley, but both situations were resolved successfully, so I'll keep my yap shut.

Prayers for the officer, hope he gets any and all help he needs.
We were using both terms for the same drill (depending on what was in vogue at FLETC when the instructors were trained). We starting calling it an exchange because students were confusing it with an emergency reload ( slide lock).

Old 10-27-2013, 10:27   #38
Ducowti

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4949shooter View Post
...But as was mentioned, he wasn't at slide lock, so we can cut the guy a little slack I think. I am sure his training officers have gone over the issue with him.

Other than that, who here thinks they could have done better given the same situation?
Just to clarify, my comments were not (intended as) critical of his actions. I was noting my observations, and the importance of training how you intend/need to fight.

On that note, how many of you practice for this scenario at the range? I occasionally do at the dept's. range, but that usually gets a lot of quizzical response so I try to save dynamic drills like dumping a mag while backpedalling/taking cover, for outings at my property which is not frequent enough.
Old 10-27-2013, 19:01   #39
4949shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducowti View Post
Just to clarify, my comments were not (intended as) critical of his actions. I was noting my observations, and the importance of training how you intend/need to fight.

On that note, how many of you practice for this scenario at the range? I occasionally do at the dept's. range, but that usually gets a lot of quizzical response so I try to save dynamic drills like dumping a mag while backpedalling/taking cover, for outings at my property which is not frequent enough.
I was speaking generally, not specifically about you or anyone else on this thread.

Just throwing it out there as food for thought..
Old 10-27-2013, 19:42   #40
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
However, before (Burnette) was allowed to return to duty, Callahan retaliated by ordering him to undergo psychological and medical exams, as well as additional training that included attending a firearms recertification course.

Hey! Thanks, chief!
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle

Closed Thread