Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-14-2013, 20:41   #1
matemike
Grip n Rip!

I'm too skinny to CCW...

Carrying is ALWAYS uncomfortable...

I don't mean mentally. I carry one in the chamber and I'll go everywhere I legally can while CCW'ing.

I mean it is physically uncomfortable. I simply can't find a setup to carry comfortably for any length of time.
I'm 6'1 and 160 pounds soaking wet. I'm thin and bony to say the least; especially around the hips and waist.

I have a G19 and it is by far my favorite handgun. I've tried carrying sevaral different ways.

At first I went for a popular set up and bought a Comp-Tac minoutar IWB holster. This setup proved to be too bulky for my slim, straight-line hips. It seems the holster takes up too much real estate around my waist band, causing my belt to have a gaping area to curve back to my actual waist line. Yes, even carrying at 7-8 o'clock. (I'm left handed too)

So I tried a less spoken of holster that seems to take up less waistband area. I tried a Galco summer comfort. This holster still seemed too bulky, and like no matter what, it just wants to tug at my belt and pull everything down. I had to keep my belt unbearibly tight to keep everything from sliding down my "telephone pole" smooth waist line.

I then figured it's the belt's fault. You need a good foundation to build a good house. You need a good foundation (belt) to carry a gun. I went with an over the counter 5.11 thick nylon belt from a cop store. The clerk was ex leo and he highly recommended it. It looked just like other popular belts I've seen talked about on the internet, figured it'll do the trick. Nope, still need to keep it crazy tight to keep things from falling, sliding and slipping.

I went so far as to blame the G19 for just being too big, bulky and heavy. I sought and found a S&W Shield and ordered a Raven Phantom kydex holster.

The Raven holster came in and I was quite impressed. It is by far the slimmest holster I have come across. It's literally millimeters thicker than the gun itself. I'm thinking this was the solution. Still though, similar problems. The holster, although it is slim, takes up too much real estate around my 30" waist. And although it's a slim and lightweight gun, a loaded firearm hanging onto my waist line just does not want to hang easily or unnoticed by me.

I've tried wearing the guns lower on the clips; deeper inside my pants. This requires the belt to wrap around more area of the holster and gun, thus causing tight and weird angles in the belt itself.

I've tried wearing the guns much higher so the belt wraps around less bulk. But with the weight vertically higher the gun wants to flop over, no matter how tight I make the belt.

Of course I've tried everything else in between. My only hope is carrying inside my jacket pockets during winter.

Are there any other skinny guys out there who have carrying issues? Anyone overcome them? Please explain.

Thanks for you time.
Old 10-14-2013, 20:52   #2
ithaca_deerslayer

Try an LCP next. Light and thin.

Eventually you'll find the setup you like. Different pants may help too, as they determine where the belt rides.

Old 10-14-2013, 22:44   #3
catalyst686

Get an Ares gear ranger belt. I'm 6' 165 and it works perfect for carrying my glock 19 in a supertuck or aiwb in a raven vanguard. I have a raven phantom for my shield, that's the most comfortable to carry but I haven't had then chance carry it real world yet.
catalyst686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 23:24   #4
Cirdan

I'm average height and fat (200 lbs) and can't find a comfortable carry for my Glock 26. IWB very uncomfortable for the reasons you cite and OWB prints. Won't even consider carrying a brick strapped to my ankle.

For now, I'm carrying an LCP in a pocket holster (works perfect). Still, I'd rather carry a 9mm.
Windham SRC
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 23:43   #5
clee109

I'm 6'0 and considerably "wider" than you at 205. I went through a variety of carry positions, a few holsters and a few belts and here is what I found.

First I went with a Garrett silent thunder stx 2.0 OWB holster and a spec ops better bdu belt. My G26 would flop around too much with that so fail.

Picked up a n82 tactical pro IWB holster, gun stayed put and concealed very well and the holster was comfy. I just couldn't get use to having it "in" my pants. Semi-fail I still roll with it though when I need more concealment.

Then got a belt man leather gun belt. Getting better, but it was tight. I was determined though and my wife was getting cranky with the spending. Over some time the belt conformed to my body and OWB with my Garrett was comfy, knew it was there, but it was good.

Then after some YouTube convincing I thought I'd try AIWB so picked up a 101 Holsters AIWB holster. Ack I sit too much for that and my slight gut got in the way. Though AIWB on your frame might be a good option...

Back to my Beltman with my Garrett. Winning. My wife was pissed I bought another holster too lol.

So I bought her some new toys and that awarded me a new option, a Wilderness CSM belt. That in combination with my Garrett OWB is the best thing ever! The Beltman was good and it worked well after breaking it in, but the wilderness CSM beats it hands down. I have no idea my G26 is there. I print very little in normal fitting shirts and I am comfy standing and sitting. You can really dial the belt in and with the stiffener it holds the gun nice and close without squeezing my love handles too much.

Give one a shot. It takes time, patience and some extra money to find what works.
clee109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 23:45   #6
clee109

One last thing, if you can adjust the cant of your holsters, try that. Sometimes you can get it to sit just right with a certain cant angle.
clee109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:53   #7
TexasGlockster

Preach brother...

I am a 31 waist so I understand your issue completely. I routinely carry both a Shield and a G23 so again, I know what you're talking about. Personally I would suggest you look at either a Crossbreed Supertuck or the one I prefer, the Ranger by HH Holsters. I also have a 5.11 belt that I rarely use these days, mainly because I got a good thick bullhide leather belt that basically holds itself up. It takes come getting used to but you CAN carry comfortably. Just keep looking for your preferred set-up.

If all else fails, rethink it. Maybe it's time to move your gun to a more comfortable place. Check out Kangaroo Carry. It's a little harder to draw from concealment and you still have to work on the positioning (but its very easy to adjust it so that it sits where you want it too) but both my Shield and G23 disappear when I where it.
TexasGlockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:59   #8
steve1988

When I started carrying, I was 6', 155 lbs (the Army has forced me to put on some muscle). I found that carrying at the small of my back worked best for me. It can't hurt to try.
Thomas Paine: "...arms...discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. ...Horrid mischief would ensue were (the law-abiding) deprived the use of them."
steve1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:13   #9
eaglefrq
NRA Member

Check out RDR Holsters. Look at the Micro-Compact. I have one and like it. I don't have the problem you have, but it is a super minimalist holster.

http://www.rdrholsters.com/

Last edited by eaglefrq; 10-15-2013 at 05:14..
eaglefrq is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:48   #10
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

6' 170, 32" waist here. No problems. I'm currently wearing a Cabela's Double Duty belt with a PJholster (custom Kydex, pretty minimalist). His holsters are fifty bucks and highly recommended. If your belt stays on you, the gun will too.

Cheers.
Louisville Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:48   #11
SCmasterblaster

6'0" 235 lbs. My G17 conceals on me quite well.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:19   #12
Gun Shark

Send a message via AIM to Gun Shark Send a message via MSN to Gun Shark Send a message via Yahoo to Gun Shark

5'10 and 138 soaking wet. I have a 29'' waist. Have no issue concealing full sized weapons(p226,xd45 etc). They are supposed to be comforting not comfortable. That said. My setup for me is very comfortable.

Mitch Rosen

MBS- Express

Tapered Gun Belt

Premier Express holster.

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms." --Thomas Jefferson

"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."

Last edited by Gun Shark; 10-15-2013 at 07:23..
Gun Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:40   #13
Lord

try a shoulder rig. Galco jackass is pretty comfortable.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:47   #14
NMG26

Quote:
Originally Posted by matemike View Post
I've tried wearing the guns much higher so the belt wraps around less bulk. But with the weight vertically higher the gun wants to flop over, no matter how tight I make the belt.
Quality bealt, quality holster will fix this.

I carry a heavy gun OWB at 3 oclockish and it is all about the belt and holster.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
NMG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:45   #15
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

I'd suggest to call up Milt Sparks at 208-377-5577 and talk with them about it. I know that they have at least one guy in the shop with the bean pole built and he's packing iron.

There's a reason why these dudes are world renown.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:56   #16
LEOson

Quote:
Originally Posted by matemike View Post
Carrying is ALWAYS uncomfortable...

I don't mean mentally. I carry one in the chamber and I'll go everywhere I legally can while CCW'ing.

I mean it is physically uncomfortable. I simply can't find a setup to carry comfortably for any length of time.
I'm 6'1 and 160 pounds soaking wet. I'm thin and bony to say the least; especially around the hips and waist.

I have a G19 and it is by far my favorite handgun. I've tried carrying sevaral different ways.

At first I went for a popular set up and bought a Comp-Tac minoutar IWB holster. This setup proved to be too bulky for my slim, straight-line hips. It seems the holster takes up too much real estate around my waist band, causing my belt to have a gaping area to curve back to my actual waist line. Yes, even carrying at 7-8 o'clock. (I'm left handed too)

So I tried a less spoken of holster that seems to take up less waistband area. I tried a Galco summer comfort. This holster still seemed too bulky, and like no matter what, it just wants to tug at my belt and pull everything down. I had to keep my belt unbearibly tight to keep everything from sliding down my "telephone pole" smooth waist line.

I then figured it's the belt's fault. You need a good foundation to build a good house. You need a good foundation (belt) to carry a gun. I went with an over the counter 5.11 thick nylon belt from a cop store. The clerk was ex leo and he highly recommended it. It looked just like other popular belts I've seen talked about on the internet, figured it'll do the trick. Nope, still need to keep it crazy tight to keep things from falling, sliding and slipping.

I went so far as to blame the G19 for just being too big, bulky and heavy. I sought and found a S&W Shield and ordered a Raven Phantom kydex holster.

The Raven holster came in and I was quite impressed. It is by far the slimmest holster I have come across. It's literally millimeters thicker than the gun itself. I'm thinking this was the solution. Still though, similar problems. The holster, although it is slim, takes up too much real estate around my 30" waist. And although it's a slim and lightweight gun, a loaded firearm hanging onto my waist line just does not want to hang easily or unnoticed by me.

I've tried wearing the guns lower on the clips; deeper inside my pants. This requires the belt to wrap around more area of the holster and gun, thus causing tight and weird angles in the belt itself.

Of course I've tried everything else in between. My only hope is carrying inside my jacket pockets during winter.

Are there any other skinny guys out there who have carrying issues? Anyone overcome them? Please explain.

Thanks for you time.
Well it can be done. It takes some time and effort, but it's possible. I'm 5'9 and maybe 145 and I can CCW no problems. Have you thought about a Glock 26? You honestly don't lose much n the shootability department, but you do lose some of the heft. It's a very good compromise. I carry about 4 o'clock in a Galco King Tuk and have no issues at all. I know you said the shield gave you problems though soi don't know if the G26 will help.

Last edited by LEOson; 10-15-2013 at 10:57..
LEOson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:05   #17
jhertzler

Glad you asked!

I have the same build and the same problem. My sympathy to you on this. I have gone to a lighter gun which helps a lot. I often carry my KelTec PF9. I also like my Taurus TCP380 (virtually weightless). and my Ruger LCR in .38.

As far as holsters go, I have found with heavier guns, a paddle holster is more comfortable (the plastic that goes inside your waistband while the holster is on the outside). This gives it good support, almost (and I emphasize the 'almost') negates the need for a belt. It also hangs on better when you open or take down pants, such as to go to the restroom (TMI?). jrh
jhertzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:13   #18
MStarmer
In Jail...

OWB is always going to be more comfortable, as will leather (most of the time). You just have to find the right holster. It's amazing how much a difference the same holster feels at 10 degrees vs 15 degrees. Ride height is important as is belt attachment. Pancake holsters (dual belt slot) ride very flat to the body and don't print bad, especially with thin guns like an LC9 or even a G26/27. The Avenger style carry a bit higher but do stick out a bit more but are more comfortable.

I would start the process with a great belt, you're going to need it no matter what you carry, then if the Shield is what you are going to carry you need to find the comfy spot and work with a holster maker to get it where you want / need it. Raven and other Kydex holsters are great but a lot of us find them uncomfortable. You should be able to make that Shield disappear with ease and barely know it's there. I've resorted to making my own holsters so they are exactly the cant/height/size I want. Not an easy hobby but it's amazing when you get them right!

Good luck and don't give up!
Old 10-15-2013, 11:57   #19
Brawwp

I'm the same build 30" waist and just received my alien gear holster for my g26. $36 to my door (literally came like an hour ago), and it is very comfortable and conceals very well. I even put on a tucked in dress shirt and it just works. I recommend it. Plus it's free to try and they will swap you covers if you get a new gun.
Brawwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:48   #20
kueblerkt

6'3/155.

I've been carrying a Glock 23 in a Thunderwear/Smart Carry holster for about 4 years. Pretty comfortable for the most part, and not too expensive.
kueblerkt is offline   Reply With Quote