SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:52   #126
elsolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdTracker View Post
I don't think that American's love the idea of Hot Hatches as much as England and Europe. The most exciting HH's always seem to come from the other side of the pond.
Maybe if manufacturers actually offered them for sale in North America.

I would have a Ford Focus RS if they sold it here, but no, we only get a lame base model FWD 140hp, not the turbo 350hp model. They won't even sell a two door here. We did get the SVT, which was 160hp and mostly just appearance package.

Maybe if rally racing was more popular than NASCAR truck series, or if CAFE standards didn't favor casting the largest shadow as possible.
elsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:59   #127
czsmithGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsolo View Post
Every car made in 1978 was a complete POS.
Dark days in American automotive history
Well yes, there is that.
czsmithGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:03   #128
Restless28

Quote:

I would have a Ford Focus RS if they sold it here, but no, we only get a lame base model FWD 140hp, not the turbo 350hp model. They won't even sell a two door here. We did get the SVT, which was 160hp and mostly just appearance package.

Maybe if rally racing was more popular than NASCAR truck series, or if CAFE standards didn't favor casting the largest shadow as possible.
Americans are missing the boat with the lack of rally interest.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:03   #129
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:

Demographically, its not a big market.

Also US DOT /EPA certification is very expensive for limited production autos.
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:41   #130
elsolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
Demographically, its not a big market.

Also US DOT /EPA certification is very expensive for limited production autos.
North America is about 22% of global auto sales, roughly the same market share as the EU.
http://wardsauto.com/world/solid-nor...cle-sales-july

Granted, lots of Americans are going to buy SUV's and pickup trucks, not cars.

The manufacturers find it profitable to sell limited release versions of Mustangs and Camaros. I am not a bean counter at Ford, just a consumer that is irritated they won't sell the cars I like in America, but they will in Europe and Mexico.
Old 11-01-2013, 13:16   #131
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
The manufacturers find it profitable to sell limited release versions of Mustangs and Camaros. I am not a bean counter at Ford, just a consumer that is irritated they won't sell the cars I like in America, but they will in Europe and Mexico.
Yes/no.

Go look at the differences. The EPA cert is based off a 1 cylinder test engine. So as long as the cylinder head, bore/stroke isnt changed, it can be approved.

But look at something like a 911 Gt3 RS. In Europe they come from the factory with roll cages. Not crash approved in USA and changes the base crash test results of the 911. The RS carbon fiber seats are not allowed in the USA if installed by the factory. There is nothing that stops you from buying the Carbon fiber seats and factory roll cage and having the dealer install them (but the car is technically no longer "street legal" as the DOT cert has been compromised)
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 11-01-2013, 13:19   #132
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
just a consumer that is irritated they won't sell the cars I like in America, but they will in Europe and Mexico.
I wouldnt mind an Audi S3....
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 11-01-2013, 13:25   #133
method

Quote:

The SVT Focus was 170 hp, and had upgraded brakes, upgraded suspension, available Recaro seats, plus appearance stuff. I agree it could have been more, but it wasn't just a spoilers and skirts job.

An SVT Focus Euro with a supercharger and a Torsen diff would still be a pretty choice hot hatch, even when compared to more contemporary offerings.
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 13:43   #134
Red Stick

Quote:

The current (2013 - 2014) focus ST that is being sold in the US (as well as many other parts of the world) is 252hp and 270 ft lbs tq.
Old 11-01-2013, 13:50   #135
Viper16

I am enjoying my little WRX which is 265HP 244TQ, 0-60 in like 5.5 and can maneuver great. I wanted the WRX STI, which is like 305HP, but didn't want to spend the extra $8-10K to get it.
Viper16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 16:16   #136
elsolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by method View Post
The SVT Focus was 170 hp, and had upgraded brakes, upgraded suspension, available Recaro seats, plus appearance stuff. I agree it could have been more, but it wasn't just a spoilers and skirts job.

An SVT Focus Euro with a supercharger and a Torsen diff would still be a pretty choice hot hatch, even when compared to more contemporary offerings.
Slightly bigger disc brakes, 1/2" lower springs and better shocks (have all those on my plain jane focus), slightly bigger swaybars, and variable valve timing with a touch more compression. That and a six speed Getrag instead of the 5 speed mtx-75.

As far as I am concerned, that's largely cosmetic when everywhere else could get a turbo model with double the HP.

Ford at least sells the brakes and suspension buts over the counter. SVT shocks and springs are a bargain at $300 for the whole kit. The front brakes are $500, still a bargain as it comes with everything.

I dig the first gen Focus, the second gen would be cool if they sold the 3dr hatch here instead of just the sedan.

I am a bit of a Focus enthusiast. I would probably have an SVT focus except Ford has discontinued parts so things like a brake booster vacuum hose, vvt solenoid, rear brake caliper bracket, and other replacement parts are junkyard only nowadays. I chose instead to add the suspension and brakes to a base model.
Old 11-01-2013, 16:19   #137
elsolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Stick View Post
The current (2013 - 2014) focus ST that is being sold in the US (as well as many other parts of the world) is 252hp and 270 ft lbs tq.
Yes, but 4-dr only.
The RS would be nice with another 100hp and a quaiffe diff, but don't hold your breath.
Old 11-01-2013, 18:22   #138
Red Stick

Quote:
Yes, but 4-dr only.
The RS would be nice with another 100hp and a quaiffe diff, but don't hold your breath.
Yep no 2 door. A RS in the US would be sweet! Only time will tell. For now we're digging our ST.
Old 11-01-2013, 18:31   #139
elsolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Stick View Post
Yep no 2 door. A RS in the US would be sweet! Only time will tell. For now we're digging our ST.
The current ST is, without a doubt, the best Focus sold in North America to date.