Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-26-2013, 16:32   #161
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wct097 View Post
OP, contact the farmer. Work out a written agreement, ask if he's been hunting and deal with it appropriately. If you don't want him hunting, don't do it. If it wasn't him, post the land and deal with it appropriately.

I'd just go talk to the guy, personally, but I disagree with your synopsis here. A guy open carrying in town is not a threat because he's not doing anything illegal. A guy carrying a gun while committing the crime of trespassing (intentionally or not), is committing a crime and thus could understandably be treated as an armed criminal.
How do you know he's trespassing in this circumstance.. Is the proper signage in place

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Last edited by Mayhem like Me; 10-26-2013 at 16:32..
Mayhem like Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 16:39   #162
Hellraiser

I have signage all over my property. "No Trespassing or Hunting"... the vast majority of the border.

In a few key areas... "Trespassers Will Be Violated".... "Trespassers WILL Be Shot... Survivors, Will Be Shot Again"....

And finally coming up the 1/4 mile driveway... and up close to the house... "DO YOU BELIEVE IN THE HEREAFTER?... TRESPASS HERE, AND FIND OUT FOR SURE."

EDIT: Has to do with a vicious dog instance that occurred long ago.

^..^

Last edited by Hellraiser; 10-26-2013 at 16:41.. Reason: Needed it.
Hellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 16:47   #163
dryfly
Platinum Membership

Just because you own 90 acres or whatever thf .... and had one or 2 bad experiences with trespassers .... doesn't mean you gotta be a dick to everyone who you THINK is raping your land....

That is unless you have a still or dungeon you are afraid of someone finding.

Last edited by dryfly; 10-26-2013 at 16:50..
dryfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 17:03   #164
Hellraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
Just because you own 90 acres or whatever thf .... and had one or 2 bad experiences with trespassers .... doesn't mean you gotta be a dick to everyone who you THINK is raping your land....

That is unless you have a still or dungeon you are afraid of someone finding.
You make a good point there, friend...

There is nobody that OWNS land... anybody that is lucky... ALL just temporary caretakers of it.

^..^
Hellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 18:27   #165
Rabid Rabbit

Just remember to blade when approaching the trespasser.
Rabid Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 20:54   #166
racerford

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
Is the armed trespasser wearing a ski mask? Carrying a crowbar? Or just on your land, perhaps even mistakenly?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 4
As you it depends on the state where it occurs, and the time of day(actually if it is at night (more than 30 minutes before sunrise or 30 minutes after sunset). In some states in some circumstances, trespassing and openly carrying and arm and messing about on someone's property could get you legally shot. Think Criminal Mischief at night in the state of Texas. I don't recommend doing anything that could be considered criminal mischief at night on someone else's property in the state of Texas, not do I recommend shooting them for it. It will likely turn out bad for one or both.

As a LEO, you know that any confrontation is potentially dangerous, whether the person is known to be armed or not. Otherwise police would not approach cars the way they do for traffic stops. If a random person will be aggressive with a police officer that is known to be armed, may be wearing a vest, and has the full weight of the law, and lots of armed friends a radio call away; what makes you think the same random person with reasonable suspicion or probable cause to be trespassing armed on their land to will be less likely to be aggressive with a non-LEO uniformed citizen?

Do you not recommend some level of caution?
racerford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 21:26   #167
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by *ASH* View Post

off topic they were giving out bacon flavored chapstick at our state fair yesterday .
This may well be the most important item in this thread. Certainly deserving of a thread of its own. Maybe there even ought to be a "bacon" forum here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellraiser View Post
... and sneak to within 150 yards of his position (we have real thick woods). Then... I fire a shot in the air... and yell out... ....
^..^
Hmmm firing a shot into the air.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.

Last edited by Bruce M; 10-26-2013 at 21:27..
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 00:39   #168
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellraiser View Post
TBO has it right...

But this very thing has happened to me... many times. Before confronting... two things that I have to know:
1. Where is the fella's truck?
2. Do I know the part of my 500 acres good enough that I will not get shot?

Then... when I see the fella's parked truck... I grab my 12 ga. Rossi hammer-double... and sneak to within 150 yards of his position (we have real thick woods). Then... I fire a shot in the air... and yell out... "Hey... you in the tree... please come down and let's talk about why you are hunting on my property." Then I exit.

Then drive straight to the place where the truck will come out on the road. At this point in time, I will be supposedly unarmed (but protected behind my truck)... and not worried unless said hunter can shoot a long-arm out his truck window. With a smile and some good-natured arm-waving... the truck always stops (has to), and we have a parlay. Never have had a problem after this.

This only works on early mornin' deer or turkey hunters... I am not qualified to walk up on an armed man sitting illegally in my woods. But I can talk to him when he comfortably thinks he has made it to freedom... out on the dirt road.

Would not try this at night... with coon hunters. It's dark and I just sneak right up on 'em... and make a loud, unambiguous announcement. Most of the time... the coon hunters will just turn off their flashlights and hunker down in the dark. Then I just fire both barrels up in the air and threaten to shoot their friggin' dogs that everybody hears barking. Coon hunters will holler out that they need to collect their dogs... and will NEVER come back after that threat. That too has never failed.

BTW... I would never shoot a hunting dog... sometimes ya have to act mean.

^..^
Now some of this is clearly the right idea. When they hear the shot go off they will run if doing something wrong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool songs:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool car:
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:01   #169
AZ Husker

I would emphasize that the fault lies with the OP landowner. If he does not even know who is farming his land how can he expect to control who is on that land? In most cases landowners have a contract spelling out what the renter can and cannot do. We raised many cattle on our prime hunting ground and lost a ton of them. Then we also had the hunters with a truckload of dogs running the scent. They are the worst, often cutting fences to follow their dogs. Many issues in this thread.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:30   #170
purrrfect 10

Best to tell the guy that farms your land, you don't want hunters on it. I would start there wait a couple days for them to take their stands out and call the Game Warden. Let him deal with them keep you out of it. If not all gone within a week I would take the stands down myself and give them away.

I would also put up some Posted No hunting sign.
I'm in the best condition I possibly can be ~ being in this condition...
purrrfect 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:06   #171
lethal tupperwa

one of the best stories

a guy in a tree stand

land owner walks up

the guy says who do you think you are

I'm hunting here

the land owner says I am the Game Warden that OWNS this land.

----------------------------------------

GLOCK CERTIFIED ARMORER
lethal tupperwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:15   #172
ysr_racer

The Okie Corral
Old 10-27-2013, 07:21   #173
LEO/Dad
Navy Veteran

Call the law........period!
LEO/Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:46   #174
Iron bottom

What if this hunter finds a Sasquatch turd on your land? Mighty valuable in your area, I understand. $2,500.00 or more. Think of your loss.
Iron bottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:04   #175
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Rabbit View Post
Just remember to blade when approaching the trespasser.
I want to find the person who decided to change the term, "Square up" to "blade" and shake them until they can no longer command the English language. I really do.
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:07   #176
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
The common denominator is the gun, period.

Yeah, you certainly have no experience hunting. Lots of hunters don't use guns. So no, the common denominator is not the gun. In fact, the only discernible common denominator in this thread going against common sense has been...well...YOU.

Last edited by John Rambo; 10-27-2013 at 10:07..
Old 10-27-2013, 10:42   #177
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Quote:
People are having no issue walking up to an unarmed person who's on their property (person not observed doing anything threatening).
Same conditions, now only add the person has a firearm. Now people are afraid.

Pretty clear, it's the gun that makes the difference.

QFT (entire post, not just a snip to be used out of context in an attempt to attack the poster instead of the argument).

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:05   #178
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
QFT (entire post, not just a snip to be used out of context in an attempt to attack the poster instead of the argument).

Uh huh. Good luck walking up on a hunter with a pack of vicious dogs. Or a bow. You ever seen how fast a bow can be fired and what a modern broadhead does on impact?

It ain't the gun. Its the trespasser and the typical mindset of hunters who hunt on whatever land they see fit that we know to be wary of.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:26   #179
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Better ban hunting if the woods are so full of murderous creepers...

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:27   #180
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Better ban hunting if the woods are so full of murderous creepers...

Sooner or later, they will.

Get out and hunt sometime. You'll understand after a few seasons.

Tags
law vs. emotion, trespass