SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-25-2013, 14:14   #121
wct097

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
is this based upon your solid understanding of law or just a personal opinion of how you would like things to work ?
I'm not sure I understand your question. There are lots of posters here that are stating that they believe that a trespassing hunter could be dangerous to confront. You stated that you believe these posters have a conflicting mind set as they don't consider someone open carrying in town to be a threat. I disagree as someone committing the crime of trespassing could very well be a threat. I don't think anyone in this thread is suggesting that any hunter in the woods should be considered as a threat. Those that are obviously breaking the law, on the other hand, should probably be treated as a potential threat.
Old 10-25-2013, 14:53   #122
elsolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnjim01 View Post
I haven't read the whole thread and beside that my opinion is probably worthless so I'll give it anyway.

Before you call the game warden put out a bag of corn so the warden will also get them for hunting on a baited field.
Why not just plant drugs in their vehicle and call the cops?
elsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 14:55   #123
Jhansel4

Quote:
is this based upon your solid understanding of law or just a personal opinion of how you would like things to work ?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 4
I agree with what he said, think of it this way. You being an LEO are you going to consider someone that is maybe recklessly driving and open carrying to be more of a threat than a common citizen walking around OC? My guess is you would, even though the gun might not be related the fact is someone who is already committing a crime of some sort is going to be perceived to be potentially more dangerous than someone who is not
Old 10-25-2013, 15:17   #124
relayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnjim01 View Post
I haven't read the whole thread and beside that my opinion is probably worthless so I'll give it anyway.

Before you call the game warden put out a bag of corn so the warden will also get them for hunting on a baited field.
That varies from state to state . Legal here .
relayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 15:50   #125
VC-Racing
General Flunky

One of my best buddies( grew up together) is a GW and he's been shot at before while dealing with some scum that poach.

scenario 1 .
I'll concede that theres a good chance that it was a accidental line cross and if the OP makes contact with the hunter and everything goes well ............. Then great, all fine and well ......

scenario 2.
what if he has a confrontation with a nut ( cause I can assure you they are out there) that doesn't care 1 iota whether he trespassed and decides to throw a beat down on the OP or takes the contact as the threat and shoots him ( it happens), then the OP gets to go to the hospital or possibly the morgue , then he or his family has to continually deal with the A-Hole causing problems because he was jailed for trespassing and assault?

YMMV

Vic
Old 10-25-2013, 16:05   #126
John43

This post reminds me of the Hmong immigrant that was on private land. When two or three of the hunters caught him they left to get help and when they came back he shot and killed most of them.
John43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 16:10   #127
Willfulone
CCA Corvette

Burn him out of the tree

Will
Willfulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 16:18   #128
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by W420Hunter View Post
Ok so I was taking my dog for his romp with his friends at the dog park today. As I drove out my drive way I see a truck parked at the service road that is about 50 yards off my land. When I get home I see it is still there. So curiosity got the better of me and I took a walk. Part of my land is woods and part of it is farmed. The wooded area is surrounded by plowed land so it jets out like a peninsula. As I get to the far side I see the ladder on my tree and 2 stands. It's less than 30 mins before dark and I can see the truck pulling out. So what do I do? Do I try to be nice and hope he is not an a $$ about it or do I go right to the game warden and have them take care of it? I do not want to be a dick about it he may assume it's the farmers land who farms about 2 acres of my land. On the other hand he may know he is trespassing and it could get ugly fast.
Game Warden and I would post it if not already posted. That takes some big "cojones" on their part to be on your land without permission.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool songs:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool car:
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 16:23   #129
elsolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by John43 View Post
This post reminds me of the Hmong immigrant that was on private land. When two or three of the hunters caught him they left to get help and when they came back he shot and killed most of them.
The reason that we all now that story is because how uncommon it is.

How many hunting licenses are sold in the USA per year, and how often do shootouts happen among hunters?
Old 10-25-2013, 17:00   #130
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsolo View Post
The reason that we all now that story is because how uncommon it is.

How many hunting licenses are sold in the USA per year, and how often do shootouts happen among hunters?
Very rare but my uncle was shot by a "city slicker" who thought he was a deer so that still goes on but shootouts are almost never heard of.

Cool songs:

Cool car:
Old 10-25-2013, 17:08   #131
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhansel4 View Post
I agree with what he said, think of it this way. You being an LEO are you going to consider someone that is maybe recklessly driving and open carrying to be more of a threat than a common citizen walking around OC? My guess is you would, even though the gun might not be related the fact is someone who is already committing a crime of some sort is going to be perceived to be potentially more dangerous than someone who is not
The hunter may, or may not be committing a crime. Same as the person in town.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 4

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 17:38   #132
Jack Ryan
Get off my lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
As much as people here on GT want to have the attitude that their being armed represents no danger to anyone else but random bad-guys, there is a lot of assuming that hunters (be they armed with rifles or bows) are somehow dangerous villains, Taliban-style.

For Christ's sake, when you see they are on your property hunting, just walk up to them and talk to them. They aren't going to shoot you, they aren't going to harm you, unless you yourself are walking up to them with a firearm pointed at them. Just stroll up with a smile and a friendly countenance, and you'll be fine.

Jesus, but this is just the biggest bunch of anti-social paranoids. Negative assumptions all around.

Be nice, be social, and be as respectful as if you were on their land, and all will be fine.

Hell you might gain some new friends, and they may decide to pay you for the privilege of hunting on your property.

If it was me? I'd throw my bow or rifle (whatever season it is in OH) over my shoulder, don an orange hunting cap, and just stroll right up to them. You will look like one of them, and at worse they will be confused as to why you're trying to join them in what they think is their hunting stand. And then discuss the matter with them in a friendly manner.
That will be the day when I stroll up to a pack of thieves and treat them like I'M STEALING THE USE OF THEIR LAND. If you leave the house with the intention to hunt, it is ON YOU TO KNOW WHERE YOU ARE. You are responsible for knowing property lines and who owns the land you are standing on.
Jack Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 17:46   #133
elsolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneyBooney View Post
Very rare but my uncle was shot by a "city slicker" who thought he was a deer so that still goes on but shootouts are almost never heard of.
That sounds like a hunting accident, not a shootout with the intent to murder a human like the previously mentioned incident with the Hmong.
Old 10-25-2013, 19:22   #134
*ASH*
MEMBER OF 601

some serious pork going on .

this thread has spun a bearing

off topic they were giving out bacon flavored chapstick at our state fair yesterday .

Last edited by *ASH*; 10-25-2013 at 19:29..
*ASH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 19:50   #135
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneyBooney View Post
Add me to the list of being mistaken by a hunter for a deer. An older man with deteriorating eyesight sent two rounds of 30-06 my direction inside 50 yards. The good news about him being eyesight-challenged was that he did not get off accurate shots.

That is all the more reason that I'd not want people hunting on my land unless I had a chance to vet them a bit. I'd post a polite note in a conspicuous location near their gear and give a deadline for removing themselves and their gear. The next move would be a call to law enforcement.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 20:04   #136
AZ Husker

We lost an average of six cattle per year due to stupid hunters. Of course they never tracked us down and tried to make restitution, just snuck away.
Old 10-25-2013, 23:07   #137
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsolo View Post
That sounds like a hunting accident, not a shootout with the intent to murder a human like the previously mentioned incident with the Hmong.
I agree.

Cool songs:

Cool car:
Old 10-26-2013, 00:29   #138
dogmower

I had a similar situation about 15 years ago. Caught a guy on my land in a stand during deer season with a pile of apples on the ground (hunting over bait is illegal in PA). I nicely asked the guy if he was aware he was on private property, to which he told me he had permission from the owner. I explained that I was the owner of the property, to which he responded that it wasn't posted. I told him since there was no public land in that area, whether or not it was posted was immaterial - there wasn't anywhere in that area he could hunt without permission from the landowner. He started to give me a bunch of ***** about nowhere to hunt, he had always hunted here, etc. etc. I politely told him that he could leave, or explain to the game warden. He left and I never saw him again. He wasn't the first person to just walk onto my property and hunt without permission. You aren't being a jerk - if he falls out of the stand, he can sue you because it happened on your property. Best thing is to be nice, but firm, and not let anyone hunt on your land without permission. Some people have balls so big I wonder how they can walk.
dogmower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:51   #139
Lady Glock

Send a message via ICQ to Lady Glock
My opinion is like many others here...call the game warden. You can either have the trespassed or warned.

Trust in God...Everyone else keep your hands where I can see them!
Lady Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:01   #140
Fear Night
NRA Life Member

Quote:
The hunter may, or may not be committing a crime. Same as the person in town.
From the LEO's perspective, that is correct. They may not know the full story yet.

However, this scenario is referring to the perspective of a landowner. If the landowner has not given a single soul permission to hunt or trespass on his land, then there is without a doubt a crime being committed. The landowner will know the full situation.

|
|
|
Fear Night is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
law vs. emotion, trespass