Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013, 05:49   #101
M&P15T
Beard One
 
M&P15T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 11,432
I got Through Two Pages Of This Non-Sense.....

As much as people here on GT want to have the attitude that their being armed represents no danger to anyone else but random bad-guys, there is a lot of assuming that hunters (be they armed with rifles or bows) are somehow dangerous villains, Taliban-style.

For Christ's sake, when you see they are on your property hunting, just walk up to them and talk to them. They aren't going to shoot you, they aren't going to harm you, unless you yourself are walking up to them with a firearm pointed at them. Just stroll up with a smile and a friendly countenance, and you'll be fine.

Jesus, but this is just the biggest bunch of anti-social paranoids. Negative assumptions all around.

Be nice, be social, and be as respectful as if you were on their land, and all will be fine.

Hell you might gain some new friends, and they may decide to pay you for the privilege of hunting on your property.

If it was me? I'd throw my bow or rifle (whatever season it is in OH) over my shoulder, don an orange hunting cap, and just stroll right up to them. You will look like one of them, and at worse they will be confused as to why you're trying to join them in what they think is their hunting stand. And then discuss the matter with them in a friendly manner.
__________________
Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus (519 BC – 430 BC) Power should only be given to those that want it least.

Last edited by M&P15T; 10-25-2013 at 05:51..
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:04   #102
Tvov
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: CT,USA
Posts: 5,031
Being a relatively new hunter (only 3 years now), this is a depressing thread to read. I hope everything gets worked out in good way.
__________________
Just because it is a dumb, easily resolved issue, doesn't mean you should stop doing it.
I'm not angry, I'm just loud. - Friend's son.
Deanster:I know everyone on GT always has a pen and never screws up anything, but ...
Tvov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:29   #103
badge315
Senior Member
 
badge315's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Middleburg, FL
Posts: 3,879
I have a friend in West Virginia who had a problem with trespassing hunters (and it was not an honest mistake; they had more of a "try and stop me" attitude), so I made some signs for him to post on his land.

The Okie Corral
__________________
"I am the sum of all evil...yet many still seek me out; a green jewel they must possess. But see how I destroy their lives."

- The Loc-Nar
badge315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:30   #104
rhikdavis
U.S. Veteran
 
rhikdavis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Late Great Planet Earth
Posts: 13,313
Blog Entries: 1
Send a message via Yahoo to rhikdavis Send a message via Skype™ to rhikdavis
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
As much as people here on GT want to have the attitude that their being armed represents no danger to anyone else but random bad-guys, there is a lot of assuming that hunters (be they armed with rifles or bows) are somehow dangerous villains, Taliban-style.

For Christ's sake, when you see they are on your property hunting, just walk up to them and talk to them. They aren't going to shoot you, they aren't going to harm you, unless you yourself are walking up to them with a firearm pointed at them. Just stroll up with a smile and a friendly countenance, and you'll be fine.

Jesus, but this is just the biggest bunch of anti-social paranoids. Negative assumptions all around.

Be nice, be social, and be as respectful as if you were on their land, and all will be fine.

Hell you might gain some new friends, and they may decide to pay you for the privilege of hunting on your property.

If it was me? I'd throw my bow or rifle (whatever season it is in OH) over my shoulder, don an orange hunting cap, and just stroll right up to them. You will look like one of them, and at worse they will be confused as to why you're trying to join them in what they think is their hunting stand. And then discuss the matter with them in a friendly manner.
Unless the trespasser is Hmong...then it's on cuz...

http://news.minnesota.publicradio.or...untershooting/
__________________
Charter OAF Member
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
rhikdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:36   #105
wizzi01
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Detroit,MI
Posts: 1,909
Send a message via ICQ to wizzi01 Send a message via AIM to wizzi01
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
If the items were not allowed to be there in the first place and they left it unattended it most certainly is abandoned. Can I park my car in your yard and come and go as I please?

No you cannot park your car in my yard, but I do not have the right to break into it and steal it. I would have to call the police and have it towed.
wizzi01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:00   #106
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn
 
Dennis in MA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Taunton, MA
Posts: 55,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsolo View Post
If everybody knows everything, do you know who has been trespassing on your land?
Then he'd have to talk to the police.


Quote:
Originally Posted by *ASH* View Post
so far the 4 worse poachers have been snagged by trail cams i set up . and yeah they got a good fine for trespassing . now out of towners is more difficult . actually had 2 trucks parked down deep with south carolina plates , but could not quite make out the numbers .

its a cat and mouse bs game . people dont respect other peoples stuff and sometimes being stupid can get ugly .

the most excellent part is im self employed so i can pop up on my land at any hour . year by year its getting better . the farmer next to me owns alot of land on my backside and we are on the same page as far as no hunting goes , so with both of us keeping a look out for each other i expect to eventually deter most of the deadbeats by next year

plus we are both gonna go in together and put up some heavy gates and fencing in 2 of the main trouble spots
Hey, what you two do in the privacy of your own homes. . .
__________________
The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd.
Dennis in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:04   #107
larry_minn
Silver Membership
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 18,165
Maybe some folks should switch to decaf???
As one poster said. (computer SLOW so don't want to go back and find) We (as a group) want to keep right to carry concealed in public. We argue (truthfully) that a firearm carried by John Q Public is no danger......
But some of these same folks FREAK at thought of dealing with a person HUNTING with firearm, or heaven forbit a assult bow (and arrow)

Scum hunters? yep deal with them every yr. They think "No hunting/trespassing" type signs are for target practice. Leave mess of beer cans, junk food wrappers, deer guts.... I have never had problem chewing them out.
Game wardens? He might show up in day or so.
Post at least easy entry points, put your cell phone #. Give permission to a couple folks who are decent, give them your cell # "If you see anyone else call me"
Found a couple stands. I put note on them, cell # they pick them up, often call to apoligize. Seems they were 400 yards (and one line fence) off property they had permission to hunt. Driving in they got turned around. (very possible)

Had Sunday I decided to skip church. Went to my land and hunters were unloading. Seems they checked when I would (normally) be in church and figured they had hr to do a drive thru my land. Of course they THEN asked permission. (which had been denied before)
New hunters, those that ask ahead of time, some HINT of decency can hunt. I don't charge. (liability) A cut of meat, jerky sticks, thank you note with dead presidents... are welcome but not required.
larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:32   #108
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?
 
TBO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NRA Life Member
Posts: 46,428
Blog Entries: 1


Just continuing to show some can carry conflicting mind sets.

A man with a gun hunting in the woods is so dangerous a person can't walk up to them and talk.

Yet

The same poster open carrying a gun in town is no threat.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 4
__________________
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”


Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:33   #109
John Rambo
Raven
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tampa, Fl.
Posts: 9,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmk View Post
If you say so, sport.
Yep. Thats how I know. I've dealt with them in 3 different states. I've dealt with them EXTENSIVELY down here in Florida. Most of them suck, all around. Much in the same way I can tell you, from being a diver, that most cave-divers are arrogant jackasses. And if you need confirmation, search the posts made by the arrogant jackass cave divers on this site.

Seems everyone else has had the same experiences as I have with hunters here. And you think the stand hunters are bad? You should see the gangs of feral inbred rednecks who go roving with dogs looking for wild boar. Don't even bother approaching those people unless your possee outnumbers their or you've got a chopper to drop a satchel of explosives from, Philly style.

Last edited by John Rambo; 10-25-2013 at 10:35..
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:41   #110
John Rambo
Raven
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tampa, Fl.
Posts: 9,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
Just continuing to show some can carry conflicting mind sets.

A man with a gun hunting in the woods is so dangerous a person can't walk up to them and talk.

Yet

The same poster open carrying a gun in town is no threat.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 4

Its not about the guns. Hunters can use bows or dogs, too. They're no better. Especially the ones who use dogs.

You ever do any hunting, yourself?
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:27   #111
W420Hunter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,286
Send a message via AIM to W420Hunter Send a message via Yahoo to W420Hunter
This thread is way out of hand.
W420Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:36   #112
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn
 
Dennis in MA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Taunton, MA
Posts: 55,461
Yeah, but what have you done about this? How did your meeting with the farmer go? Did you let the air out of the truck's tires? Hung anyone from their treestand? Inquiring OC minds wanna know.
__________________
The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd.
Dennis in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:02   #113
wct097
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: VA
Posts: 2,364
OP, contact the farmer. Work out a written agreement, ask if he's been hunting and deal with it appropriately. If you don't want him hunting, don't do it. If it wasn't him, post the land and deal with it appropriately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
Just continuing to show some can carry conflicting mind sets.

A man with a gun hunting in the woods is so dangerous a person can't walk up to them and talk.

Yet

The same poster open carrying a gun in town is no threat.
I'd just go talk to the guy, personally, but I disagree with your synopsis here. A guy open carrying in town is not a threat because he's not doing anything illegal. A guy carrying a gun while committing the crime of trespassing (intentionally or not), is committing a crime and thus could understandably be treated as an armed criminal.
__________________
-wct097
wct097 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:28   #114
relayman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The deep South
Posts: 969
This is one of those questions that you never ask on an Internet gun forum . One of many .
relayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:52   #115
Syclone0538
Senior Member
 
Syclone0538's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by relayman View Post
This is one of those questions that you never ask on an Internet gun forum . One of many .
I think the thread served it's purpose. The op got a variety of responses to think about before choosing a course of action.



Though it is depressing to see so many here jump to use government to solve what probably can be easily solved just by talking to the hunter. Preferably by phone, just in case he is as nuts some people assume.
Syclone0538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 13:08   #116
Fear Night
NRA Life Member
 
Fear Night's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Posts: 3,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by wct097 View Post
I'd just go talk to the guy, personally, but I disagree with your synopsis here. A guy open carrying in town is not a threat because he's not doing anything illegal. A guy carrying a gun while committing the crime of trespassing (intentionally or not), is committing a crime and thus could understandably be treated as an armed criminal.
Exactly. I will give the person walking down the street with a gun on their hip the benefit of the doubt that they are a law-abiding citizen.

The armed trespasser already has a strike against their name because they have proven to have no regard for the 5x "Posted - No Trespassing / No Hunting" signs that they just walked past ...

I would definitely not be scared to have a chat with them, but my guard would be on higher alert than just chatting with some guy open carrying on the street. It would be foolish not to be.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Fear Night; 10-25-2013 at 13:10..
Fear Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 13:28   #117
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?
 
TBO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NRA Life Member
Posts: 46,428
Blog Entries: 1


Quote:
Originally Posted by wct097 View Post
I'd just go talk to the guy, personally, but I disagree with your synopsis here. A guy open carrying in town is not a threat because he's not doing anything illegal. A guy carrying a gun while committing the crime of trespassing (intentionally or not), is committing a crime and thus could understandably be treated as an armed criminal.
is this based upon your solid understanding of law or just a personal opinion of how you would like things to work ?



Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 4
__________________
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”


Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 13:35   #118
*ASH*
MEMBER OF 601
 
*ASH*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: nc
Posts: 22,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
Then he'd have to talk to the police.




Hey, what you two do in the privacy of your own homes. . .
good one ,


the range thing sounds good . me and some friends currently use his outdoor range , he wants me to build one , hell i got the land for it , seems like a project in the making .

i know alot of hunters , most of them are nice folks , known alot of them since we were kids , its just the poachers that i despise or the ones that think hey i can do anything . maybe next time i see em i will flash a laser pointer in their eyes or hire ninja squirrels
__________________
Death is the wish of some, the relief of many, and the end of all.
umm excuse me are those extragent circus pants you have on ?? or do you work for a circus ?
*ASH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 14:03   #119
capnjim01
Senior Member
 
capnjim01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: north carolina
Posts: 2,593
I haven't read the whole thread and beside that my opinion is probably worthless so I'll give it anyway.

Before you call the game warden put out a bag of corn so the warden will also get them for hunting on a baited field.
capnjim01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 14:10   #120
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?
 
TBO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NRA Life Member
Posts: 46,428
Blog Entries: 1


That's real ethical.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 4
__________________
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”


Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply


Tags
law vs. emotion, trespass
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 18:08.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,291
407 Members
884 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31