SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-24-2013, 19:07   #81
elsolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman253 View Post
I really find the level of distrust and suspicion in this thread to be unbelievable.

A huge majority of posters want to instantly call the game wardens, or sheriff, have him charged with trespassing, etc.

Perhaps I come at it from a different angle, but numerous times over the years I have found people hunting on our family land. Every time, I have simply talked to them, explained that we don't allow hunting without prior permission, and asked them to leave. There has never been a problem, and in all instances, they have immediately apologized, and left. A couple have returned the next year, told me that they were the ones that I asked to leave last year, and that I said only with prior permission was hunting allowed. They then said that they were asking permission, and would understand if it was not granted. Every time this took place, these gentlemen got permission to hunt, and we got a share of their bounty, if they bagged anything.

I have also been on the other side of the equation. A few years ago, a good friend of mine gave me permission to hunt birds on his property. His property is part of a large tract of land that is all farmed. But there are different owners of different parts of the tract (over 2,000 acres total). When I arrived, and set up to hunt, I thought I was on his land, but I found out later that I was 1/4 mile off. Oops! The owner of the property where I was drove up, and asked why I was hunting there. I told him that I had permission from my friend to hunt on his land. He informed me that I had missed the right location by 1/4 mile. I apologized, and immediately packed my stuff, and moved to the proper area. It was an honest mistake, and while I was technically trespassing on his property, it was unintentional. I would hate to think that I would have had to live with a trespassing charge on my record for such a mistake.

If after making contact with the hunter, he is rude, or in any way disrespectful, then by all means he should be dealt with by the authorities, but I am willing to bet that a polite conversation and request that he cease hunting on your land is all that it will take.

Perhaps I am naive, but I still believe that the greatest majority of people are good at heart, and deserve to be treated cordially and with respect until they prove that they do not deserve it.
I agree.

It's also no wonder why hunting is on the decline in America.
elsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 20:02   #82
wizzi01

Send a message via ICQ to wizzi01 Send a message via AIM to wizzi01
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
Absolutely no theft involved when property is abandoned on MY property by someone who did not have my permission to be there in the first place.
It is absolutely theft. That property was not abandoned if people come back for it. It doesn't matter if they don't have permission that is why you call the game warden /dnr
wizzi01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 20:13   #83
*ASH*
MEMBER OF 601

OH LAWD !!!1

a topic so dear to me .

i have posted several times bout idiot scumbag hunters coming on my land settting traps , hunting when its clearly posted bout 50 signs the whole way around my property .

deputies caught a few ,
i have to take time to go take up the traps . i collect a large number of them and then turn in for cash at scrap yard ..

now i have several 4 wheeler trails i made thru the land which is bout 90 acres where they poach on my land . lately spike strips have worked good . and yeah local sheriff knows about them . hes tired of it , im tired of it . hes tired of me telling them im tired of it . so i do what i do . i catch you its on cuzz.

Last edited by *ASH*; 10-24-2013 at 20:14..
*ASH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 20:29   #84
Brian Lee
Drop those nuts

I'd wait until they're gone. Then go out there and post no hunting signs right at the base of their tree stands. Maybe even take the stands down and leave them on the ground by the tree (with NO damage). Also leave a note saying it's private property. Then you'll see later if they're the kind of mistaken good guys who'll take their stuff and go, or whether they'll go ahead and do as they please - in which case you can tell the game warden to expect Aholes.
Brian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 20:35   #85
Toml

This kinda reminds me of an incident in 1975 when a friend of mine and I busted brush for eight hours on the Pacific slope of the Santa Ynez mountains near Santa Barbara. We met a caretaker who questioned us, asked where we were from, and when we told him said "nobody could come the way you did" and he didn't know about Georgia but thereabouts land owners took trespassing seriously. We assured him we were only trying to reach the highway and return to Santa Barbara. He "offered" us a ride to the gate, several miles away past stables with State Patrols cars parked. At the gate he offered us a lift in the back of his truck back to town, which we appreciated. But we asked to be dropped off at McDonald's, not trusting him with the address where we were staying. His interrogation, the fact that he even knew we were on the property, and some other indications always made me suspect that we had stumbled on the Reagan Ranch.

Last edited by Toml; 10-24-2013 at 20:37..
Toml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 21:30   #86
vikingsoftpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
Talk to the Police?
I saw what you did there....

"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine
vikingsoftpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 21:39   #87
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by *ASH* View Post
now i have several 4 wheeler trails i made thru the land which is bout 90 acres where they poach on my land . lately spike strips have worked good . and yeah local sheriff knows about them . hes tired of it , im tired of it . hes tired of me telling them im tired of it . so i do what i do . i catch you its on cuzz.

I'd be very cautious with that approach.

Be it wrong or right, you start intentional causing damage to people or their stuff, even if they're trespassing, and a lot of people will get awful creative in their retribution. Including some who'll spend a whole lot more money, to cause you a little bit of pain back.

Especially if they can find out who owned the property.

We have a different, but similar issue in an area I like to hunt. I've seen the enforcement guy for the land, with his truck tires flat, a hole drilled in the rear diff, the transmission drain bolt backed out a few threads, so it would come loose on the highway, and silt added to the engine oil, just to name a few.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 21:43   #88
TK-421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lee View Post
I'd wait until they're gone. Then go out there and post no hunting signs right at the base of their tree stands. Maybe even take the stands down and leave them on the ground by the tree (with NO damage). Also leave a note saying it's private property. Then you'll see later if they're the kind of mistaken good guys who'll take their stuff and go, or whether they'll go ahead and do as they please - in which case you can tell the game warden to expect Aholes.
Why leave them?

"Hey, did you see my tree stand"

"What tree stand? This is private property, there isn't any hunting allowed here so I know there wouldn't be any tree stands."
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 21:54   #89
AZ Husker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzi01 View Post
It is absolutely theft. That property was not abandoned if people come back for it. It doesn't matter if they don't have permission that is why you call the game warden /dnr
If the items were not allowed to be there in the first place and they left it unattended it most certainly is abandoned. Can I park my car in your yard and come and go as I please?
Old 10-24-2013, 21:56   #90
*ASH*
MEMBER OF 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
I'd be very cautious with that approach.

Be it wrong or right, you start intentional causing damage to people or their stuff, even if they're trespassing, and a lot of people will get awful creative in their retribution. Including some who'll spend a whole lot more money, to cause you a little bit of pain back.

Especially if they can find out who owned the property.

We have a different, but similar issue in an area I like to hunt. I've seen the enforcement guy for the land, with his truck tires flat, a hole drilled in the rear diff, the transmission drain bolt backed out a few threads, so it would come loose on the highway, and silt added to the engine oil, just to name a few.
being out here in the sticks. around 200 folks , folks know me . im known to be a little out there about my land lol . retribution on anyones part and i would know in 2 days who did it . everybody knows everybody . everybody talks . the local hang out at my uncle country gas store and grill . im not worried at all
Old 10-24-2013, 22:56   #91
elsolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by *ASH* View Post
being out here in the sticks. around 200 folks , folks know me . im known to be a little out there about my land lol . retribution on anyones part and i would know in 2 days who did it . everybody knows everybody . everybody talks . the local hang out at my uncle country gas store and grill . im not worried at all
If everybody knows everything, do you know who has been trespassing on your land?
elsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 23:11   #92
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
Looks like LEOs do have a use after all.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 4
I talked to 2 of them today. Hauled gravel for a friend. His brother who is feuding with him about the property showed up. Then the Troopers. Jeez......
Old 10-24-2013, 23:13   #93
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by relayman View Post
Fair enough . Around here most decent hunting land is leased by clubs . If you're fortunate enough to know somebody that will let you hunt for free , you tend to go all out to keep them happy . Share your meat , keep the place clean , do a little tractor work , whatever it takes .
....milk the cows, mend the fences, grease the tractor......
Old 10-24-2013, 23:21   #94
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsolo View Post
If everybody knows everything, do you know who has been trespassing on your land?
Hahaha, well some only think they know it all. Then there are the clairvoyant type that do know it all.
Old 10-24-2013, 23:44   #95
AZ Husker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeross View Post
....milk the cows, mend the fences, grease the tractor......
Do you really expect to get something as rare as hunting rights for free? If it's a good spot there are guys waiting to pay dearly for the chance. Ever price even a pheasant hunt in South Dakota? How about an Elk hunt? Why not just buy a couple hundred acres in prime country and pay the taxes on it yourself? Ain't nothing for nothing anymore, and there shouldn't be.
Old 10-24-2013, 23:51   #96
Jack Ryan
One more day

Quote:
Originally Posted by W420Hunter View Post
Ok so I was taking my dog for his romp with his friends at the dog park today. As I drove out my drive way I see a truck parked at the service road that is about 50 yards off my land. When I get home I see it is still there. So curiosity got the better of me and I took a walk. Part of my land is woods and part of it is farmed. The wooded area is surrounded by plowed land so it jets out like a peninsula. As I get to the far side I see the ladder on my tree and 2 stands. It's less than 30 mins before dark and I can see the truck pulling out. So what do I do? Do I try to be nice and hope he is not an a $$ about it or do I go right to the game warden and have them take care of it? I do not want to be a dick about it he may assume it's the farmers land who farms about 2 acres of my land. On the other hand he may know he is trespassing and it could get ugly fast.
Call the game warden.

Prosecute.

No excuses. Just prosecute.
Jack Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 23:53   #97
rhikdavis
U.S. Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to rhikdavis Send a message via Skype™ to rhikdavis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagnarDanneskjold View Post

F this guy. He's lucky he didn't get shot. .
Trautman: Covey leader to identify Baker Team - Rambo, Messner, Ortega, Coletta, Jurgensen, Berry, Krakauer confirm! This is Colonel Trautman. Talk to me, Johnny.
Old 10-24-2013, 23:54   #98
Jack Ryan
One more day

Quote:
Originally Posted by W420Hunter View Post
The land is mine passed on to me by my grandfather. The farmer had a verbal agreement to farm the land for free. My grandfather saw it as a free way to keep it from becoming overgrown. No hunting rights where given.
Just call the game warden. It doesn't matter if it's posted or not.
Jack Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:15   #99
*ASH*
MEMBER OF 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsolo View Post
so far the 4 worse poachers have been snagged by trail cams i set up . and yeah they got a good fine for trespassing . now out of towners is more difficult . actually had 2 trucks parked down deep with south carolina plates , but could not quite make out the numbers .

its a cat and mouse bs game . people dont respect other peoples stuff and sometimes being stupid can get ugly .

the most excellent part is im self employed so i can pop up on my land at any hour . year by year its getting better . the farmer next to me owns alot of land on my backside and we are on the same page as far as no hunting goes , so with both of us keeping a look out for each other i expect to eventually deter most of the deadbeats by next year

plus we are both gonna go in together and put up some heavy gates and fencing in 2 of the main trouble spots

Last edited by *ASH*; 10-25-2013 at 02:22..
*ASH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:35   #100
ChallengerSRT

I put up a "Posted: No Hunting or Trespassing. Violators will be hunted!"
ChallengerSRT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
law vs. emotion, trespass