SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:13   #41
elsolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
It's a damn shame that we need signs these days to cure what common sense doesn't. Who in their right mind thinks it's perfectly ok to go on land that doesn't belong to you and do as you please on it.

This is why I tend to be against "city hunters".
Spiffums,

I like hunting in North Dakota, the law there says you can hunt on private property (not fields with standing crops) that is not posted. You can't just do as you please, you can hunt for in season game, that is all.

Last edited by elsolo; 10-24-2013 at 08:14..
elsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:20   #42
G36's Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvov View Post
Wow, people are fast to "call the warden". I know a lot of hunters, none of them would pull a gun on someone asking about hunting permission. I assume hunting jerks are out there, I guess I just haven't met them yet.

Seems like a lot of effort for "poachers" to be putting up hunting stands and leaving their truck parked in a visible area... and then leaving their hunting stands up when they leave! My first thought is just hunters who are unknowingly over a property line, or have permission from this "farmer" guy who has verbal permission to use your land - he may very well think it extends to things like hunting... maybe this hunting has been going on for a long time?

I would suggest just trying to first ask the hunters what they are doing. BUT...If you don't think it is safe to do so, then certainly call the authorities. Heck, maybe you will get some nice venison out of the situation!
Post that make sense? Not allowed here buddy.

G36's Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:03   #43
Caver 60

As others have said, I'd be more worried about the farmer using the land. In my state they call that encroachment. If they openly use the land for 10 years, they can lay legal claim to it.

I had that issue with a small part of a piece of property I own in another county. I didn't mind them using it, but I made a rental agreement for them to use the land. They paid me a dollar a year rent.
Caver 60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:13   #44
VC-Racing
General Flunky

Use your camera and get a pic of the vehicle with the tag and try to get a pic of the perp on your property, then call the Game warden. I have had several trespassers charged in the previous years with this kind of evidence.

I personally know the GW's in SC that work the area's I own and lease property and have told them if they catch someone on any of my lease or personal land to make contact with them and to call me . My property is posted with the proper signage ( even though it's not needed), so when someone is charged it fall under a different code with higher fines and jail time.

Unfortunately they can't be everywhere theres a game crime, so due to a rash of problems this year I have put up game cameras to catch trespassers and neer do well's.
I've caught one guy sabotaging my pond spillway . He got a visit from the sheriff . Had I pressed charges, he could have gotten 30 day and fined, instead I opted for the trespass notice , which once issued carries a stiffer penalty and fine. He hasn't been back , yet.

Then next offender was fishing w/o permission. All I wanted the GW to do was trespass notice him, but come to find out he had been fishing in my pond for several years, by his own admission . So , the GW charged him a $470 fine for fishing w/o perm., placed him on Trespass notice and dinged on his fishing license for 10 points.

I've grown dang tired of people thinking they can do what ever they dang well please. If they want to hunt, fish, ride or just take a nature walk , they dang well better track down the owner and ask, if not , when they are caught they will pay the penalty.

Last edited by VC-Racing; 10-24-2013 at 10:24..
VC-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:21   #45
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by W420Hunter View Post
The land is mine passed on to me by my grandfather. The farmer had a verbal agreement to farm the land for free. My grandfather saw it as a free way to keep it from becoming overgrown. No hunting rights where given.
Just yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caver 60 View Post
As others have said, I'd be more worried about the farmer using the land. In my state they call that encroachment. If they openly use the land for 10 years, they can lay legal claim to it.

I had that issue with a small part of a piece of property I own in another county. I didn't mind them using it, but I made a rental agreement for them to use the land. They paid me a dollar a year rent.
Yup. I'd find out who the guy is, get in gear and get a contract of some sort. Even GIVE him the dollar to give to you every year. Hell, just mail him a receipt of said-dollar annually.

And I'm not sure what I'd do with the ladder and stands. Part of me wants to get a sawzall and hack em to pieces and leave them with a note. Other part wants to pack em up by the road with a note. Other part wants to leave a note and have them call. Maybe call the game warden to NOTIFY them. Let them know you are going to get in touch, but wanted to get out in front of it should there be any trouble.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:39   #46
Rabid Rabbit

A lot of folk here want to go to the extreme. I side with the others with putting a note on the truck, if they get stupid or don't remove the stand then call the GW. I found a tree stand on my property and left a note on the ladder. As for posting you should post, most states I hunt in allow the option of painting a stripe of some color of paint VA is silver, MD is blue a couple inches wide and several feet long as no trespassing notice.
Rabid Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:47   #47
johnd

Send a message via ICQ to johnd
When we lived in Chardon Ohio we had the same thing except my wife saw a truck parked at the end of our driveway and heard voices and noises in the woods. so....she goes into the woods and confronts the hunters....
Seems they regarded their presence there as " their right...because they, their fathers and grajndfathers had all hunted there in the past"....she apparently told them that the farmer had sold to us and that we dont allow hunting anymore.
The surprising thing is that apparently they left.

That weekend we posted NO HUNTING signs.
johnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:58   #48
frank4570
Feral human

You should start with about a million no trespassing signs. People who intentionally walk through a wall of signs are the kind of people who need to talk to a game warden.

I generally do the "nice" thing. I walk and talk like I don't own the place. I introduce myself, which encourages the other guy to give me his name. I compliment his truck and ask what year his truck is. I ask him where he lives, etc etc. By the time he figures out I am asking too many questions, I have a lot of personal info on him. Then I tell him I am the land owner, and that I don't allow hunting. I do this politely and respectfully, but firmly.
People don't like to tresspass with me knowing so much about who they are.

For too long people have said "screw NY, IL, etc" or "that'll never happen here." Yes, it will eventually. If we dont start standing up together now, it will never stop.-ilgunguygt
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:58   #49
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd View Post
When we lived in Chardon Ohio we had the same thing except my wife saw a truck parked at the end of our driveway and heard voices and noises in the woods. so....she goes into the woods and confronts the hunters....
Seems they regarded their presence there as " their right...because they, their fathers and grajndfathers had all hunted there in the past"....she apparently told them that the farmer had sold to us and that we dont allow hunting anymore.
The surprising thing is that apparently they left.

That weekend we posted NO HUNTING signs.
"Rights" like that cost money.

I have no sympathy for hunters who do not pay for their own land. If they are nice, maybe even do favors, then perhaps they can get the "privilege" to hunt on somebody's land.

You wanna keep hunting there? You should have bought the land when it came up for sale. And pay the taxes.
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:03   #50
hunter won

Written permission is what is required when hunting on private property. A Conservation officer may not arrive in minutes where the local police can. Best to not enter the woods with him armed. Let the officer interview him and get all the details
A trespass affidavit it necessary for keeping people out. Ask the leo for him to complete that form. Safety is knowing you have nobody armed when your there.
hunter won is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:07   #51
hunter won

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post

I have no sympathy for hunters who do not pay for their own land. If they are nice, maybe even do favors, then perhaps they can get the "privilege" to hunt on somebody's land.

You wanna keep hunting there? You should have bought the land when it came up for sale. And pay the taxes.
This is a big problem where my property is upstate NY. The locals I've caught use the excuse they've hunted all there life and were going to buy it. Encon is never available.
The troopers are the real deal.
hunter won is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:09   #52
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
It's a damn shame that we need signs these days to cure what common sense doesn't. Who in their right mind thinks it's perfectly ok to go on land that doesn't belong to you and do as you please on it.

This is why I tend to be against "city hunters".
It is a shame.......however, one must do what he has to.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:41   #53
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Looks like LEOs do have a use after all.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 4

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:12   #54
G36's Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post

Agree 100%.

Those that get to hunt free on private land tend to begin to treat it as a right. Then they feel entitled to it.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:21   #55
Syclone0538

I can understand not wanting to confront the guy when he is on your land and armed, but there is no reason to call L.E. yet.

Put a note on his ladder.
or
Put a note on his truck.
or
Move his stuff to the edge of your property and put a note on it.
or
Post a bunch of signs.

The first thing is to make sure he knows he is not where he is supposed to be. I'd guess the issue will be resolved at that point.

We don't even know if the farmer is the hunter.
Syclone0538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:48   #56
relayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by G36's Rule View Post
Agree 100%.

Those that get to hunt free on private land tend to begin to treat it as a right. Then they feel entitled to it.
Really ? All of us ? I never knew that .
relayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:04   #57
racerford

Here, "deer leases" are very common, is that not the case in other states? It is an agreement that allows you to hunt on the land, and possibly will have a limit on the number of deer taken. I know guys that have had deer leases on the same land for many years. Some land owners will allow feeders and small cabins or stands to be built. Farmers and ranchers get to control deer populations to avoid destruction of crops or reduction of food or water for their livestock.
racerford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:17   #58
Sierra9

I know a guy who was hunting his posted land and got shot in the arm by a trespassing hunter. The trespasser then tried to blame the owner for hunting on posted land. Talk about stupid things that can happen.

Another friend fishing his private property, approached by another fisherman who tells him the land is private and he shouldn't be there.
Sierra9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:25   #59
G36's Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by relayman View Post
Really ? All of us ? I never knew that .
English not your first language?
Old 10-24-2013, 12:31   #60
Rabid Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Louie View Post
I wonder if said trespassing hunter got hurt while on your property if you're liable to cover his medical expenses should the property not be posted, fenced/gated?
Virginia says unless you are charging to hunt the owner is protected under normal circumstances.
Rabid Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
law vs. emotion, trespass