SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:35   #26
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by W420Hunter View Post
The land is mine passed on to me by my grandfather. The farmer had a verbal agreement to farm the land for free. My grandfather saw it as a free way to keep it from becoming overgrown. No hunting rights where given.
Verbal agreements by your grandfather means you really don't know what rights were given.

If you are the actual owner of the land, then it is time you find out first hand who YOU are letting farm YOUR land, and clarify what he can do and not do. And clarify whether hunting is allowed or not.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:00   #27
Bruce M

My guess is that long before you get to the point of contacting law enforcement you need to shore up the arrangement regarding the land use. Since the farmer could arguably have given someone permission or in theory it might even be the farmer that whole issue needs to be resolved. This would not be that much different than renting a room in your house to someone and that someone letting someone into the house to get to their room. Solve the gray area in the civil relationship before attempting solve the bigger issues by invoking the criminal sanctions.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:04   #28
BamaBud
NRA Life Member

Danger, Will Robinson!!!

Quote:
The land is mine passed on to me by my grandfather. The farmer had a verbal agreement to farm the land for free. My grandfather saw it as a free way to keep it from becoming overgrown. No hunting rights where given.
Any "verbal agreement" expired when your grandfather died. If YOU own the land free and clear, YOU better control what happens there, or risk losing it forever (via squatters or an abandonment claim).

On my land, I have a cousin that farms some of it. We renew the written contract every year, with payment and terms.

NRA Life Member
BamaBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:05   #29
Tvov

Wow, people are fast to "call the warden". I know a lot of hunters, none of them would pull a gun on someone asking about hunting permission. I assume hunting jerks are out there, I guess I just haven't met them yet.

Seems like a lot of effort for "poachers" to be putting up hunting stands and leaving their truck parked in a visible area... and then leaving their hunting stands up when they leave! My first thought is just hunters who are unknowingly over a property line, or have permission from this "farmer" guy who has verbal permission to use your land - he may very well think it extends to things like hunting... maybe this hunting has been going on for a long time?

I would suggest just trying to first ask the hunters what they are doing. BUT...If you don't think it is safe to do so, then certainly call the authorities. Heck, maybe you will get some nice venison out of the situation!

I'm not angry, I'm just loud. - Friend's son.
Tvov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:31   #30
lethal tupperwa

I know of a deputy that found a tree stand in the middle of his property.

It was chained to the tree with a big lock.

not a problem it was removed.

later the poacher stormed through their camp yelling about thieves.

If you are not in the business call them.

POST THE LAND!

----------------------------------------

GLOCK CERTIFIED ARMORER
lethal tupperwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:39   #31
Redheadhunter21

Theres a couple ways to do this, I would write a quick note with a phone number and leave it either on the truck or stand, saying something to like of your hunting stand is on my property, please call # if not I will call the warden to settle this.

If they think they are in the right you will have a phone call if they know they are in the wrong you will most likely never see them again

Normally I would just have a new deer stand but there might be some miscommunication going on, and they may be a party to the farmer.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Last edited by Redheadhunter21; 10-24-2013 at 06:41..
Redheadhunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:21   #32
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

Quote:
You may want to get in contact with the "farmer". After a number of years of maintaining the property, he can lay claim to it. Get a contract, on paper and notorized.

As for the hunter,......take the stands, the ladder and contact the Game Warden. Place a note on the trees where the stands were removed with information about where he can get the stands. I would give them to the game warden. If the property is not posted no trespass, do so.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:28   #33
relayman

Get a pic of the truck and license number no matter what route you take .
relayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:34   #34
Spiffums
I.C.P.

Tell ya how we handled the local Judge's grandson with the attitude of "I have a license I'll hunt where I damn well please". We sawed down the tree with a chain saw and had his really nice expense stand chained to the front porch. He never came to get it but he never slipped over the hill again either.

I'd talk to him and if he's an ass go call the warden.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:35   #35
harlenm

My cousin owns about 90 acres in upsate NY. People hunt on his land all the time without permission, and it pisses him off. They leave the deer guts out and his dogs roll in it or they bury them and the dogs dig it up.

He just goes around his property from time to time and pulls down any stands if he finds them and throws them in the garbage.
harlenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:36   #36
Spiffums
I.C.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
If the property is not posted no trespass, do so.
It's a damn shame that we need signs these days to cure what common sense doesn't. Who in their right mind thinks it's perfectly ok to go on land that doesn't belong to you and do as you please on it.

This is why I tend to be against "city hunters".
Old 10-24-2013, 07:38   #37
ysr_racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
The Okie Corral
Bud nipping?
ysr_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:46   #38
tehan2
NRA & GOAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by sup View Post
Put a note on his truck. If that does not work call the Warden.
This is what I'd do too. Maybe put your number on it so he can call you. I'm willing to let a couple people hunt on my property, BUT I need to meet them, and they need to sign an agreement that they do so at their own risk.

If however you simply do not wish for them to hunt your property, the note can be simple and polite saying that he's hunting on your property and that you may file trespass charges
tehan2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:00   #39
Stevekozak
Returning video

I would put a note on the stand that informs the hunter that he is on private land and to please remove his stand and not return. If the stand continues to be there, take it and call the warden. I don't see a need to involve LE if the matter can be taken care of in an ameniable manner.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:03   #40
Baba Louie

I wonder if said trespassing hunter got hurt while on your property if you're liable to cover his medical expenses should the property not be posted, fenced/gated?
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
Baba Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:13   #41
elsolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
It's a damn shame that we need signs these days to cure what common sense doesn't. Who in their right mind thinks it's perfectly ok to go on land that doesn't belong to you and do as you please on it.

This is why I tend to be against "city hunters".
Spiffums,

I like hunting in North Dakota, the law there says you can hunt on private property (not fields with standing crops) that is not posted. You can't just do as you please, you can hunt for in season game, that is all.

Last edited by elsolo; 10-24-2013 at 08:14..
elsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:20   #42
G36's Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvov View Post
Wow, people are fast to "call the warden". I know a lot of hunters, none of them would pull a gun on someone asking about hunting permission. I assume hunting jerks are out there, I guess I just haven't met them yet.

Seems like a lot of effort for "poachers" to be putting up hunting stands and leaving their truck parked in a visible area... and then leaving their hunting stands up when they leave! My first thought is just hunters who are unknowingly over a property line, or have permission from this "farmer" guy who has verbal permission to use your land - he may very well think it extends to things like hunting... maybe this hunting has been going on for a long time?

I would suggest just trying to first ask the hunters what they are doing. BUT...If you don't think it is safe to do so, then certainly call the authorities. Heck, maybe you will get some nice venison out of the situation!
Post that make sense? Not allowed here buddy.

G36's Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:03   #43
Caver 60

As others have said, I'd be more worried about the farmer using the land. In my state they call that encroachment. If they openly use the land for 10 years, they can lay legal claim to it.

I had that issue with a small part of a piece of property I own in another county. I didn't mind them using it, but I made a rental agreement for them to use the land. They paid me a dollar a year rent.
Caver 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:13   #44
VC-Racing
General Flunky

Use your camera and get a pic of the vehicle with the tag and try to get a pic of the perp on your property, then call the Game warden. I have had several trespassers charged in the previous years with this kind of evidence.

I personally know the GW's in SC that work the area's I own and lease property and have told them if they catch someone on any of my lease or personal land to make contact with them and to call me . My property is posted with the proper signage ( even though it's not needed), so when someone is charged it fall under a different code with higher fines and jail time.

Unfortunately they can't be everywhere theres a game crime, so due to a rash of problems this year I have put up game cameras to catch trespassers and neer do well's.
I've caught one guy sabotaging my pond spillway . He got a visit from the sheriff . Had I pressed charges, he could have gotten 30 day and fined, instead I opted for the trespass notice , which once issued carries a stiffer penalty and fine. He hasn't been back , yet.

Then next offender was fishing w/o permission. All I wanted the GW to do was trespass notice him, but come to find out he had been fishing in my pond for several years, by his own admission . So , the GW charged him a $470 fine for fishing w/o perm., placed him on Trespass notice and dinged on his fishing license for 10 points.

I've grown dang tired of people thinking they can do what ever they dang well please. If they want to hunt, fish, ride or just take a nature walk , they dang well better track down the owner and ask, if not , when they are caught they will pay the penalty.

Last edited by VC-Racing; 10-24-2013 at 10:24..
VC-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:21   #45
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Quote:
Just yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caver 60 View Post
As others have said, I'd be more worried about the farmer using the land. In my state they call that encroachment. If they openly use the land for 10 years, they can lay legal claim to it.

I had that issue with a small part of a piece of property I own in another county. I didn't mind them using it, but I made a rental agreement for them to use the land. They paid me a dollar a year rent.
Yup. I'd find out who the guy is, get in gear and get a contract of some sort. Even GIVE him the dollar to give to you every year. Hell, just mail him a receipt of said-dollar annually.

And I'm not sure what I'd do with the ladder and stands. Part of me wants to get a sawzall and hack em to pieces and leave them with a note. Other part wants to pack em up by the road with a note. Other part wants to leave a note and have them call. Maybe call the game warden to NOTIFY them. Let them know you are going to get in touch, but wanted to get out in front of it should there be any trouble.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:39   #46
Rabid Rabbit

A lot of folk here want to go to the extreme. I side with the others with putting a note on the truck, if they get stupid or don't remove the stand then call the GW. I found a tree stand on my property and left a note on the ladder. As for posting you should post, most states I hunt in allow the option of painting a stripe of some color of paint VA is silver, MD is blue a couple inches wide and several feet long as no trespassing notice.
Rabid Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:47   #47
johnd

Send a message via ICQ to johnd
When we lived in Chardon Ohio we had the same thing except my wife saw a truck parked at the end of our driveway and heard voices and noises in the woods. so....she goes into the woods and confronts the hunters....
Seems they regarded their presence there as " their right...because they, their fathers and grajndfathers had all hunted there in the past"....she apparently told them that the farmer had sold to us and that we dont allow hunting anymore.
The surprising thing is that apparently they left.

That weekend we posted NO HUNTING signs.
johnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:58   #48
frank4570
Feral human

You should start with about a million no trespassing signs. People who intentionally walk through a wall of signs are the kind of people who need to talk to a game warden.

I generally do the "nice" thing. I walk and talk like I don't own the place. I introduce myself, which encourages the other guy to give me his name. I compliment his truck and ask what year his truck is. I ask him where he lives, etc etc. By the time he figures out I am asking too many questions, I have a lot of personal info on him. Then I tell him I am the land owner, and that I don't allow hunting. I do this politely and respectfully, but firmly.
People don't like to tresspass with me knowing so much about who they are.

For too long people have said "screw NY, IL, etc" or "that'll never happen here." Yes, it will eventually. If we dont start standing up together now, it will never stop.-ilgunguygt
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:58   #49
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd View Post
When we lived in Chardon Ohio we had the same thing except my wife saw a truck parked at the end of our driveway and heard voices and noises in the woods. so....she goes into the woods and confronts the hunters....
Seems they regarded their presence there as " their right...because they, their fathers and grajndfathers had all hunted there in the past"....she apparently told them that the farmer had sold to us and that we dont allow hunting anymore.
The surprising thing is that apparently they left.

That weekend we posted NO HUNTING signs.
"Rights" like that cost money.

I have no sympathy for hunters who do not pay for their own land. If they are nice, maybe even do favors, then perhaps they can get the "privilege" to hunt on somebody's land.

You wanna keep hunting there? You should have bought the land when it came up for sale. And pay the taxes.
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:03   #50
hunter won

Written permission is what is required when hunting on private property. A Conservation officer may not arrive in minutes where the local police can. Best to not enter the woods with him armed. Let the officer interview him and get all the details
A trespass affidavit it necessary for keeping people out. Ask the leo for him to complete that form. Safety is knowing you have nobody armed when your there.
hunter won is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
law vs. emotion, trespass