Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:24   #21
AZ Husker

Agreed. He farms your land for free while you pay the taxes while he leases out the hunting rights?

Last edited by AZ Husker; 10-24-2013 at 03:25..
AZ Husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:40   #22
Hamilton Burger
Incompetent

Does anyone know if Ohio recognizes squatter's rights, since this farmer has been working the land with nothing said by the owners for years? That could be ugly.

Adverse Possession, something like that?

Last edited by Hamilton Burger; 10-24-2013 at 03:47..
Hamilton Burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:54   #23
sup

Put a note on his truck. If that does not work call the Warden.
sup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:36   #24
Psychman
NRA Life Member

Please don't try to make a "citizens arrest" as one Rambo poster suggested.

NCOWS
Hey, I just love guns.
Psychman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:41   #25
FPS

Could it be that this unknown farmer is hunting the land? I would leave a note on the ladder with your cell number asking him to call you.

Side question: If a hunter asked you permission to hunt this land would you let him?

Last edited by FPS; 10-24-2013 at 04:43..
FPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:35   #26
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by W420Hunter View Post
The land is mine passed on to me by my grandfather. The farmer had a verbal agreement to farm the land for free. My grandfather saw it as a free way to keep it from becoming overgrown. No hunting rights where given.
Verbal agreements by your grandfather means you really don't know what rights were given.

If you are the actual owner of the land, then it is time you find out first hand who YOU are letting farm YOUR land, and clarify what he can do and not do. And clarify whether hunting is allowed or not.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:00   #27
Bruce M

My guess is that long before you get to the point of contacting law enforcement you need to shore up the arrangement regarding the land use. Since the farmer could arguably have given someone permission or in theory it might even be the farmer that whole issue needs to be resolved. This would not be that much different than renting a room in your house to someone and that someone letting someone into the house to get to their room. Solve the gray area in the civil relationship before attempting solve the bigger issues by invoking the criminal sanctions.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:04   #28
BamaBud
NRA Life Member

Danger, Will Robinson!!!

Quote:
The land is mine passed on to me by my grandfather. The farmer had a verbal agreement to farm the land for free. My grandfather saw it as a free way to keep it from becoming overgrown. No hunting rights where given.
Any "verbal agreement" expired when your grandfather died. If YOU own the land free and clear, YOU better control what happens there, or risk losing it forever (via squatters or an abandonment claim).

On my land, I have a cousin that farms some of it. We renew the written contract every year, with payment and terms.

NRA Life Member
BamaBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:05   #29
Tvov

Wow, people are fast to "call the warden". I know a lot of hunters, none of them would pull a gun on someone asking about hunting permission. I assume hunting jerks are out there, I guess I just haven't met them yet.

Seems like a lot of effort for "poachers" to be putting up hunting stands and leaving their truck parked in a visible area... and then leaving their hunting stands up when they leave! My first thought is just hunters who are unknowingly over a property line, or have permission from this "farmer" guy who has verbal permission to use your land - he may very well think it extends to things like hunting... maybe this hunting has been going on for a long time?

I would suggest just trying to first ask the hunters what they are doing. BUT...If you don't think it is safe to do so, then certainly call the authorities. Heck, maybe you will get some nice venison out of the situation!
Tvov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:31   #30
lethal tupperwa

I know of a deputy that found a tree stand in the middle of his property.

It was chained to the tree with a big lock.

not a problem it was removed.

later the poacher stormed through their camp yelling about thieves.

If you are not in the business call them.

POST THE LAND!

----------------------------------------

GLOCK CERTIFIED ARMORER
lethal tupperwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:39   #31
Redheadhunter21

Theres a couple ways to do this, I would write a quick note with a phone number and leave it either on the truck or stand, saying something to like of your hunting stand is on my property, please call # if not I will call the warden to settle this.

If they think they are in the right you will have a phone call if they know they are in the wrong you will most likely never see them again

Normally I would just have a new deer stand but there might be some miscommunication going on, and they may be a party to the farmer.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Last edited by Redheadhunter21; 10-24-2013 at 06:41..
Redheadhunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:21   #32
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Quote:
You may want to get in contact with the "farmer". After a number of years of maintaining the property, he can lay claim to it. Get a contract, on paper and notorized.

As for the hunter,......take the stands, the ladder and contact the Game Warden. Place a note on the trees where the stands were removed with information about where he can get the stands. I would give them to the game warden. If the property is not posted no trespass, do so.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:28   #33
relayman

Get a pic of the truck and license number no matter what route you take .
relayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:34   #34
Spiffums
I.C.P.

Tell ya how we handled the local Judge's grandson with the attitude of "I have a license I'll hunt where I damn well please". We sawed down the tree with a chain saw and had his really nice expense stand chained to the front porch. He never came to get it but he never slipped over the hill again either.

I'd talk to him and if he's an ass go call the warden.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:35   #35
harlenm

My cousin owns about 90 acres in upsate NY. People hunt on his land all the time without permission, and it pisses him off. They leave the deer guts out and his dogs roll in it or they bury them and the dogs dig it up.

He just goes around his property from time to time and pulls down any stands if he finds them and throws them in the garbage.
harlenm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:36   #36
Spiffums
I.C.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
If the property is not posted no trespass, do so.
It's a damn shame that we need signs these days to cure what common sense doesn't. Who in their right mind thinks it's perfectly ok to go on land that doesn't belong to you and do as you please on it.

This is why I tend to be against "city hunters".
Old 10-24-2013, 07:38   #37
ysr_racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
The Okie Corral
Bud nipping?
Old 10-24-2013, 07:46   #38
tehan2
NRA & GOAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by sup View Post
Put a note on his truck. If that does not work call the Warden.
This is what I'd do too. Maybe put your number on it so he can call you. I'm willing to let a couple people hunt on my property, BUT I need to meet them, and they need to sign an agreement that they do so at their own risk.

If however you simply do not wish for them to hunt your property, the note can be simple and polite saying that he's hunting on your property and that you may file trespass charges
tehan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:00   #39
Stevekozak
Returning video

I would put a note on the stand that informs the hunter that he is on private land and to please remove his stand and not return. If the stand continues to be there, take it and call the warden. I don't see a need to involve LE if the matter can be taken care of in an ameniable manner.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:03   #40
Baba Louie

I wonder if said trespassing hunter got hurt while on your property if you're liable to cover his medical expenses should the property not be posted, fenced/gated?
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
Baba Louie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
law vs. emotion, trespass