Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:49   #201
rhino673

Sure is a lot of hard ass Rambo types on here. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised , it is Glocktalk after all.
I have had similar situations happen when a hunter accidentally set his stand on my ( or family's ) property. It has never been a big deal. One time it was a guy that knew my neighbor and was hunting with permission he just didn't know where the lines were. I found out by giving my neighbors a call. Once I found out who the guy was I let him keep the stand where it was for the rest of the season.
The other time it was just some young random guy ( maybe 20 years old ?) who was almost in the middle of our property he had set up a climb on stand and was walking out of the woods. as I was walking in. I said "Hello. How's it going? What are you doing out here today?" He replied truthfully that he had just set up a stand and was planning on hunting the next morning. I asked who's permission he had and he said he had the owners permission. That was when I replied " well, that's funny because I am the owner and I have never talked to you. " he stammered and stuttered and I politely told him to hike back up I the trail retrieve his things and get out. He did and that was that. I also told him that if he had done it the right way and asked for my permission then I wouldn't be kicking him out.

No need to get the situation more difficult if it's not necessary.
rhino673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:50   #202
gommer

Damn. What a messed up world we live in that a thread like this even exists.

When I was growing up - you could get walk-in access to every bit of Beaver Lake (NW Arkansas). People didn't paint or sign their land.

Now-a-days, though, I went to take my boy fishing and all the old holes were fenced up, painted, or signed. Trails were chained off, etc.

People (I have a certain segment of this area I consider largely at fault, but we won't go there) have abused the grace of others -- and now you can't do jack.

Now, I haven't read every post in this thread but I've read enough -- what a load of crap.

When I grew up - if you hunted on the wrong land you either got shot at or a good talkin' too - but you didn't talk to the police or a game warden for it. People made mistakes CONSTANTLY. Remember, not everyone is out there with 20 decimal precision GPS coords.

Seriously, just go talk to the guy. Vicious scary murderous thugs don't set up tree stands - they get drunk and drive around with spotlights.

Reading this thread, I'd have thought I was reading a blog on MSNBC.

W.
T.
F.
gommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:01   #203
rhino673

Quote:
Originally Posted by gommer View Post

When I was growing up - you could get walk-in access to every bit of Beaver Lake (NW Arkansas). People didn't paint or sign their land.

Now-a-days, though, I went to take my boy fishing and all the old holes were fenced up, painted, or signed. Trails were chained off, etc.

People (I have a certain segment of this area I consider largely at fault, but we won't go there) have abused the grace of others -- and now you can't do jack.

Now, I haven't read every post in this thread but I've read enough -- what a load of crap.

When I grew up - if you hunted on the wrong land you either got shot at or a good talkin' too - but you didn't talk to the police or a game warden for it. People made mistakes CONSTANTLY. Remember, not everyone is out there with 20 decimal precision GPS coords.

Seriously, just go talk to the guy. Vicious scary murderous thugs don't set up tree stands - they get drunk and drive around with spotlights.

Reading this thread, I'd have thought I was reading a blog on MSNBC.

W.
T.
F.
Pretty much my thoughts too. I do have a lot of friends with property and only once do I know of that one of them called the cops on trespassers.
My buddy was in his stand really early and could see the edge of his property and saw a vehicle casting a spot light for deer. He never got out of his stand. He just called the game warden. The vehicle drove away but was caught at a neighboring property.
The good news is that right after the truck left my friend got a beautiful 10 pointer. he swears that the truck probably scared the buck right up to him. Lol

Last edited by rhino673; 10-28-2013 at 06:28..
rhino673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:51   #204
Gonzoso

I have permission to hunt a 1,000 acre piece of private property. There are two other guys allowed to hunt it.

I've kicked many people off of it. None of the poachers have the balls to set up a stand as it's well known no one is allowed to hunt it.

Sometimes I'm working and unarmed, or I have a bow. My favorite method for dealing with them is pretty much sneaking up behind them and yelling "Hey" or "Yo" or "Pardon me" from within rifle grabbing range. Having been intimately acquainted with the land here for 13 years and as I still hunt with a bow people are easy.

When you catch a person off guard like that they're usually quite uncomfortable and do what you tell them to.

I would just walk up to a stand though, I don't think most hunters are intentionally dangerous.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:15   #205
M2 Carbine

Quote:

In years back I use to allow most anyone to shoot on my land.
Now I have to be very selective who I allow on my property.

Now days people are such sue crazy a-holes that land owners can't take the chance of allowing people to come on their land.

Don't blame the land owners, blame yourselves, because the land owners can't take the chance that someone might get a hangnail and sue the landowner.

So yes, trespass on my land and you have a problem.
M2 Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:33   #206
racerford

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
Read the law you posted, again.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 4
The intent used there is the intent to commit those actions, not the intent to enter the property.
racerford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:06   #207
tsmo1066
Happy Smiley

I solved the poacher problems on our land in Missouri by simply giving a neighbor permission for his sons to hunt the property. They keep the riff-raff away, watch out for our vacation house on the land when we aren't there, and whenever we do go up there (2 or three times per year), they make sure there's always a few choice cuts of venison in the freezer and plenty of homemade sausage.

Good neighbors are ALWAYS your best option when it comes to controlling stuff like this. Find out who the farmer is that your Grandpa allowed to farm your property, get to know that person and his family, and ask them to keep their eyes open for anyone who shouldn't be out there.

May you have food and raiment, a soft pillow for your head, and may you be forty years in Heaven before the Devil knows you're dead! - Old Irish Toast

Last edited by tsmo1066; 10-28-2013 at 10:08..
tsmo1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:26   #208
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Forget this peeing match. What's going on with W420hunter???
Old 10-28-2013, 11:35   #209
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerford View Post
The intent used there is the intent to commit those actions, not the intent to enter the property.
What does that statute say actually constitutes trespassing? Look at it that way.

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:46   #210
Syclone0538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
Forget this peeing match. What's going on with W420hunter???
Yeah I'm wondering what course of action he decides on, and how it goes.
Syclone0538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:54   #211
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsolo View Post
Why in world would you demand a hunter "drop the weapon"?

Somebody comes walking up you armed and making demands like that, who exactly is the one acting in a threatening way?

This thread is so full of fail it is pathetic.
Would an LEO, approaching someone that they suspected of committing a crime and in possession of a likely loaded firearm, approach without a weapon (firearm)? Would an LEO allow the suspected the have the loaded the loaded firearm in his hand during the coarse the investigation?

If an LEO would approach someone without being armed and allow the person to remain with a firearm in hand, I could then maybe see why you would think a landowner should.

But, as you mentioned, I doubt if many people would take kindly if they were the hunter to a landowner approaching them armed and pointing a weapon at them.....

I guess this is why what I originally quoted is silly...the laws are not written to allow people to take the law into their own hands. 150 years ago, you may have just shot the cattle rustler; now shooting a cattle rustler will get you thrown in jail in most places.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:54   #212
Caver 60

I own two pieces of property. One is timberland in another county. I don't worry about hunters there, just encroachment uses, like I said in another post. They can hunt all they want on that property.

Here where I live, I consider deer 'rats with antlers'. So I let as many people as I safely can hunt on my place. I assign each person an area to hunt and expect them to either stay in it or be traveling along well defined roads to or from their vehicle, which is parked where I tell them to park.

Of course I reserve a couple of good areas for myself.

I want all the deer that can legally be shot on my property, shot. And I prefer they shoot does. That way I get two or three for one.
Caver 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:35   #213
racerford

Quote:
What does that statute say actually constitutes trespassing? Look at it that way.

Entering a property without the express permission of the owner or possessor, with the intent of doing one or more of the listed actions, one of which is hunting.

The person in question in the original post did all of those. The owner of the land did not give his express permission. The person left property, and apparently intended to hunt (given the totality of the evidence). Both are listed actions. It says nothing about intent to be on someone else's property.

It say nothing about "knowingly" entering the property with out the express consent of the owner, etc..... That would absolve them of accidently being on the wrong property. It just doesn't say that.
racerford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:55   #214
elsolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
Would an LEO, approaching someone that they suspected of committing a crime and in possession of a likely loaded firearm, approach without a weapon (firearm)? Would an LEO allow the suspected the have the loaded the loaded firearm in his hand during the coarse the investigation?

If an LEO would approach someone without being armed and allow the person to remain with a firearm in hand, I could then maybe see why you would think a landowner should.

But, as you mentioned, I doubt if many people would take kindly if they were the hunter to a landowner approaching them armed and pointing a weapon at them.....

I guess this is why what I originally quoted is silly...the laws are not written to allow people to take the law into their own hands. 150 years ago, you may have just shot the cattle rustler; now shooting a cattle rustler will get you thrown in jail in most places.
The whole "suspected of a crime" is polluting your response.
Nobody is cattle rustling, it's 90% of the time being confused on which piece of identical looking rural land you are actually on compared to where you thought you were. They don't have street signs, and GPS doesn't work so well in the middle of nowhere.

There have been several times when I have been approached by a game warden, local LEO, or landowner while wearing orange and carrying a rifle or shotgun. They were less on edge than a cop doing a traffic stop for speeding.

"Hey, how ya doing? Can I help you"

The game wardens want to check magazine capacity, that's about as much concern over a firearm as I have ever experienced while hunting.

Nobody is drawing the firearms, telling you to drop your weapon, or any other threatening behavior. I have mistakenly been on the wrong quarter section on land, and had the landowner point that out (then give permission or not). I have had tenant farmers approach, just to find out I have permission from the actual owner, then get invited for some coffee and shown where the better spots are to hunt.

Not being a poacher or dealing with them, I have no experience and can only speculate how those encounters go.

Where I have done most of my hunting, if land is not posted then it is legal to hunt on. Sometimes the signs go down and the farmer comes out and asks what you're doing on his 'posted' land. Only once has such an encounter ended with anything worse than a handshake and "thank you".

(farmer was drunk as skunk, called the sheriff, the sheriff explained to the farmer that we were doing nothing wrong, and we left when asked to, that was the worst experience so far.)
elsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 13:15   #215
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Nobody is cattle rustling, it's 90% of the time being confused on which piece of identical looking rural land you are actually on compared to where you thought you were. They don't have street signs, and GPS doesn't work so well in the middle of nowhere.

There have been several times when I have been approached by a game warden, local LEO, or landowner while wearing orange and carrying a rifle or shotgun. They were less on edge than a cop doing a traffic stop for speeding.

"Hey, how ya doing? Can I help you"

The game wardens want to check magazine capacity, that's about as much concern over a firearm as I have ever experienced while hunting.

Nobody is drawing the firearms, telling you to drop your weapon, or any other threatening behavior. I have mistakenly been on the wrong quarter section on land, and had the landowner point that out (then give permission or not). I have had tenant farmers approach, just to find out I have permission from the actual owner, then get invited for some coffee and shown where the better spots are to hunt.

Not being a poacher or dealing with them, I have no experience and can only speculate how those encounters go.

Where I have done most of my hunting, if land is not posted then it is legal to hunt on. Sometimes the signs go down and the farmer comes out and asks what you're doing on his 'posted' land. Only once has such an encounter ended with anything worse than a handshake and "thank you".

(farmer was drunk as skunk, called the sheriff, the sheriff explained to the farmer that we were doing nothing wrong, and we left when asked to, that was the worst experience so far.)
I have actually found GPS works quite well in the middle of no-where. In cities is where I find the signal is blocked more often. The only time, in the middle of no-where that I have not had a GPS signal was in a narrow canyon and then once half the altitude was gained, enough satellites could be tracked to do it so I am not buying the whole "GPS not working".

Also, as far as the person being lost and just being in the wrong place in the woods, the original post described something different.

As far as why people would be on edge...

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/11/22/hunters.killed/

Last edited by DanaT; 10-28-2013 at 13:15..
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 13:25   #216
nmk

Quote:
Did you mean cellular service?
nmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 13:31   #217
elsolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmk View Post
Did you mean cellular service?
Yeah, the GPS on my phone doesn't work so well if there is no service. Most of my hunting has been done prior to GPS even being available to us.

Overcast sky + no cell service = bad location

Last edited by elsolo; 10-28-2013 at 13:32..
Old 10-28-2013, 13:33   #218
elsolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post

As far as why people would be on edge...

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/11/22/hunters.killed/

the officer that booked that guy is a relative of mine
Old 10-28-2013, 14:46   #219
Glotin

Quote:
Just continuing to show some can carry conflicting mind sets.

A man with a gun hunting in the woods is so dangerous a person can't walk up to them and talk.

Yet

The same poster open carrying a gun in town is no threat.

Hunters are actively looking for something to shoot; OCers are not...

How often do you hear of someone getting shot in a hunting accident? More or less often than someone getting accidentally shot by an OCer in town?

A friend of mine was hunting on land where he had permission and was shot with a .308 by a man who did not have permission. First thing the guy said to him after he shot him was "you're not supposed to be here."

Caution is warranted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Glotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 15:20   #220
nmk

Quote:
Yeah, the GPS on my phone doesn't work so well if there is no service. Most of my hunting has been done prior to GPS even being available to us.

Overcast sky + no cell service = bad location
My gps works perfectly in the middle of nowhere on my phone, but there isn't a map to go along with the little blue dot because of cell service.

I've made that mistake more than once! Ugh, I'm sure I'll do it again.
nmk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
law vs. emotion, trespass