SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 13:33   #176
Ohio Copper

The many, the proud, the ignorant.

Even when directly confronted, no response, as usual.
Old 10-30-2013, 13:53   #177
cyphertext

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
Tax law states that travel to/from a home/normal place of business is not a business expense and therefore any use of a business vehicle for travel to/from a home/normal place of business is a taxable fringe benefit.

People believe in following the law and paying the proper taxes on fringe benefits, correct?

Tax deductible travel only includes:
Travel expenses are the ordinary and necessary expenses of traveling away from home for your business, profession, or job.
http://www.irs.gov/publications/p463/ch01.html#d0e396

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p15b/ar02.html
Umm, did you read the pubs you linked? Taken from 15-B...

2. Fringe Benefit Exclusion Rules

This section discusses the exclusion rules that apply to fringe benefits. These rules exclude all or part of the value of certain benefits from the recipient's pay.

The excluded benefits are not subject to federal income tax withholding. Also, in most cases, they are not subject to social security, Medicare, or federal unemployment (FUTA) tax and are not reported on Form W-2.

This section discusses the exclusion rules for the following fringe benefits....

Working condition benefits.

Qualified nonpersonal-use vehicles. All of an employee's use of a qualified nonpersonal-use vehicle is a working condition benefit. A qualified nonpersonal-use vehicle is any vehicle the employee is not likely to use more than minimally for personal purposes because of its design. Qualified nonpersonal-use vehicles generally include all of the following vehicles.

Clearly marked, through painted insignia or words, police, fire, and public safety vehicles.

Unmarked vehicles used by law enforcement officers if the use is officially authorized.

Last edited by cyphertext; 10-30-2013 at 13:54..
Old 10-30-2013, 14:10   #178
Ohio Copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphertext View Post

This section discusses the exclusion rules that apply to fringe benefits. These rules exclude all or part of the value of certain benefits from the recipient's pay.

The excluded benefits are not subject to federal income tax withholding. Also, in most cases, they are not subject to social security, Medicare, or federal unemployment (FUTA) tax and are not reported on Form W-2.

This section discusses the exclusion rules for the following fringe benefits....

Qualified nonpersonal-use vehicles. All of an employee's use of a qualified nonpersonal-use vehicle is a working condition benefit. A qualified nonpersonal-use vehicle is any vehicle the employee is not likely to use more than minimally for personal purposes because of its design. Qualified nonpersonal-use vehicles generally include all of the following vehicles.

Clearly marked, through painted insignia or words, police, fire, and public safety vehicles.

Unmarked vehicles used by law enforcement officers if the use is officially authorized.

Downright comical, isn't it?
Old 10-30-2013, 16:02   #179
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by *ASH* View Post
[/B]

alot of gters think the same thing .
I don't know who is or isn't a cop on Glock Talk in every case....but I do know who is passive aggressive....

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Old 10-30-2013, 16:18   #180
*ASH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
I don't know who is or isn't a cop on Glock Talk in every case....but I do know who is passive aggressive....
so we are a doctor now heh

i dont know who is or isnt passive aggressive but i know who
is a know it all .

Last edited by *ASH*; 10-30-2013 at 16:20..
Old 10-30-2013, 16:55   #181
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

There have been fake Cops on GT (and MMA fighters too), and they've been exposed time and again, by the Cops on GT. The Okie Corral

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
Old 10-30-2013, 17:32   #182
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
There have been fake Cops on GT (and MMA fighters too), and they've been exposed time and again, by the Cops on GT. The Okie Corral
Now that has been some great entertainment.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Old 10-30-2013, 17:44   #183
clancy

Has the NFL given any reason why they want to ban off-duty cops from carrying in the stadiums? Try as I might, I have not been able to find out why.
Old 10-30-2013, 17:49   #184
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

I think the police officers should push hard to let all CHL carriers carry into the stadium.

Strength in numbers?
Old 10-30-2013, 17:51   #185
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
Now that has been some great entertainment.
No kidding . . . I really miss "Tantrix". HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
Old 10-30-2013, 17:59   #186
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:

You didnt read the first few sentences:

This exclusion applies to [b]property and services you provide to an employee so that the employee can perform his or her job.[b] It applies to the extent the employee could deduct the cost of the property or services as a business expense or depreciation expense if he or she had paid for it. The employee must meet any substantiation requirements that apply to the deduction.

This means travel to/from work doesnt isnt considered.

All of an employee's use of a qualified nonpersonal-use vehicle is a working condition benefit. A qualified nonpersonal-use vehicle is any vehicle the employee is not likely to use more than minimally for personal purposes because of its design.

The IRS is quite clear in all tax laws that commuting to/from work is more than "minimal personal use"
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
Old 10-30-2013, 18:06   #187
Pwhfirefighter

Question, doesn't LEOSA allow private property owners to exercise their rights to control who carries a weapon on their property? I know this does not apply to LEO in performing their official duties.

Also I understand the point than an LEO may always be on duty. So does that mean outside his state, or what ever is considered his jurisdiction, he can trump the rights of private property owners as stated in the LEOSA?

Not trolling. Y'all just have me curious. Thanks for any answers
Old 10-30-2013, 20:04   #188
cyphertext

Quote:
You didnt read the first few sentences:

This exclusion applies to [b]property and services you provide to an employee so that the employee can perform his or her job.[b] It applies to the extent the employee could deduct the cost of the property or services as a business expense or depreciation expense if he or she had paid for it. The employee must meet any substantiation requirements that apply to the deduction.

This means travel to/from work doesnt isnt considered.

All of an employee's use of a qualified nonpersonal-use vehicle is a working condition benefit. A qualified nonpersonal-use vehicle is any vehicle the employee is not likely to use more than minimally for personal purposes because of its design.

The IRS is quite clear in all tax laws that commuting to/from work is more than "minimal personal use"
Go back and read it again... It specifically states that it is a non-taxable, working condition benefit. But you are correct, it is quite clear...
Old 10-30-2013, 20:25   #189
Jon_R
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy View Post
Has the NFL given any reason why they want to ban off-duty cops from carrying in the stadiums? Try as I might, I have not been able to find out why.
Liability I assume. If they allow it then it is possible they would expose themselves to some liability as they allowed it and something bad happened. If an off duty officer shot someone let's say the person was just a bystander then the NFL who "allowed" /didn't ban the gun in the stadium would be named in the civil suit.

It would be an almost impossible task to take the other position that the officer was killed or an innocent person was killed because the officer was not allowed to be armed. Then it would just be a criminal in commission of a crime.

So in options you face paying out lots of money and the other you don't so guess which one gets picked.

It does not matter who might get shot or killed. It also does not probably matter to the NFL if the officers sneak the gun in. They said don't do it and that is what will be stated in court as they ask to be removed from the civil case if something went wrong.

All this also can track into any insurance rates for the same reason. If the insurance company said it will save you $2 million dollars a year in premiums to put up signs banning guns in the stadium they will ask where do I order the signs....
Old 10-30-2013, 20:27   #190
racerford

Quote:
Go back and read it again... It specifically states that it is a non-taxable, working condition benefit. But you are correct, it is quite clear...
Although this way off topic, I want to call BS on both of you.

The IRS is not "quite clear" on hardly anything. They use that to their advantage when they feel like it. You don't have thousands and thousands of pages of regulations to be clear. They wouldn't need thousands of agents to explain the regulations if they were clear. They would not give different answers to the same questions if the regulations were "quite clear".

Back on topic, I am OK with "off-duty" officers carrying at games if they are not drinking or otherwise impaired. However, I think CHL holders should be able to do it as well. I also think that CHL holders should be a protected class along with all the others and businesses (at least those owned or operated by corporations or LLCs) open to the public should not be able to bar them anymore than any other protected class.

Last edited by racerford; 10-30-2013 at 20:28..
Old 10-30-2013, 20:40   #191
RenegadeGlocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy View Post
Same reason as all the other places that do it. They are trying to control all aspects of the venue. They think they can create a safe zone by only allowing their good guys to carry.
Old 10-30-2013, 20:49   #192
Jon_R
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeGlocker View Post
Same reason as all the other places that do it. They are trying to control all aspects of the venue. They think they can create a safe zone by only allowing their good guys to carry.
I don't think they believe it makes anyone safer. They think it will let them keep more money then they would otherwise. Probably could come out and ask them save a million but 2 fans will be killed but you will have no liability in the deaths they would say ok I will take the money.

It is nothing new. Car manufacturers crunch the numbers when looking at a recall. Will cost 10M to recall but if we don't 2 people will die and it will cost us $3M in legal. If so no recall as long as we can keep the government from forcing us to.

This is why actuaries make good money.
Old 10-30-2013, 21:31   #193
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Ok.

Let me go back and see if what i quoted is different.

Working Condition Benefits

This exclusion applies to property and services you provide to an employee so that the employee can perform his or her job. It applies to the extent the employee could deduct the cost of the property or services as a business expense or depreciation expense if he or she had paid for it. The employee must meet any substantiation requirements that apply to the deduction. Examples of working condition benefits include an employee's use of a company car for business, an employer-provided cell phone provided primarily for noncompensatory business purposes, and job-related education provided to an employee.

Nope. Still the the same.

The IRS publication still states
The employee must meet any substantiation requirements that apply to the deduction.

Right under that:

Vehicle allocation rules. If you provide a car for an employee's use, the amount you can exclude as a working condition benefit is the amount that would be allowable as a deductible business expense if the employee paid for its use. If the employee uses the car for both business and personal use, the value of the working condition benefit is the part determined to be for business use of the vehicle. See Business use of your car under Personal versus Business Expenses in chapter 1 of Publication 535. Also, see the special rules for certain demonstrator cars and qualified nonpersonal-use vehicles discussed below.
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 10-30-2013, 21:36   #194
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerford View Post
The IRS is not "quite clear" on hardly anything. They use that to their advantage when they feel like it. You don't have thousands and thousands of pages of regulations to be clear. They wouldn't need thousands of agents to explain the regulations if they were clear. They would not give different answers to the same questions if the regulations were "quite clear".
I am not sure if you are an employee or a business owner. But if you are an employee of a company, on your next tax return claim, and clearly state it as such, a 56.5cent per mile deduction on your taxes for all miles you drove to and from work. Tell us clear of a message you get from the IRS in fines and penalties when it is a non-allowable deduction.

Personal use of business vehicles for tax purposes they are quite clear about the rules. The hard part is enforcing it.
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 10-30-2013, 21:59   #195
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
so we are a doctor now heh

i dont know who is or isnt passive aggressive but i know who
is a know it all .
I might be the fairy @#$& godmother....but I am not wrong. Which you point out.

I challenge you to call out who you, or anyone else, does not think is actually a cop. Or you can just keep bichen about it like it means anything.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Old 10-30-2013, 22:24   #196
*ASH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
I might be the fairy @#$& godmother....but I am not wrong. Which you point out.

I challenge you to call out who you, or anyone else, does not think is actually a cop. Or you can just keep bichen about it like it means anything.
you challenge ?? ROFLMAO . this is the internet sport many people are not who they say they are .

what you want a duel at 12 paces ?? you challenge roflmao

must mean something or you would not keep replying to me .
i like bichen

other posters are right you are anal bout getting the last word in lol have at it sport .

Last edited by *ASH*; 10-30-2013 at 22:26..
Old 10-30-2013, 22:29   #197
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:

must mean something or you would not keep replying to me .
i like bichen

other posters are right you are anal bout getting the last word in lol have at it sport .
You keep playing the "others" card. Why the need to hide behind someone elses skirt? If you got something to say, man up.

And as always, if you call someone out for needing the last word with a swipe, you dont really understand the issue.

Old 10-30-2013, 22:34   #198
*ASH*

ahh the old "hide behind the skirt " quote , i would think you would use the " im not falling for the banana in the tailpipe " line / that dissapoints me

go aheah get the last word in .
Old 10-30-2013, 23:25   #199
racerford

Quote:
I am not sure if you are an employee or a business owner. But if you are an employee of a company, on your next tax return claim, and clearly state it as such, a 56.5cent per mile deduction on your taxes for all miles you drove to and from work. Tell us clear of a message you get from the IRS in fines and penalties when it is a non-allowable deduction.

Personal use of business vehicles for tax purposes they are quite clear about the rules. The hard part is enforcing it.
I work for a very large corporation in finance. We don't have a huge tax department because regulations are "quite clear". We don't challenge and win hundreds of hundreds of audit results a year because the regulations are "quite clear", because if the regulations were "quite clear" the fed, states, and local taxing authorities would never lose. There tens of thousands of lawyers that would be unemployed if government bureaucrats and politicians wrote laws and regulations that were "quite clear".

Now they may have a clear rate for a calculation, but as far as deductibility, you may get audited one year and be OK and one year they will say it is not deductible for the same type thing. Or for one person that item will clear audit, but for another person in the same circumstance they will not, because they had a different IRS agent on it. If the regulations were "quite clear" that would never happen.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:24   #200
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerford View Post
I work for a very large corporation in finance. We don't have a huge tax department because regulations are "quite clear". We don't challenge and win hundreds of hundreds of audit results a year because the regulations are "quite clear", because if the regulations were "quite clear" the fed, states, and local taxing authorities would never lose. There tens of thousands of lawyers that would be unemployed if government bureaucrats and politicians wrote laws and regulations that were "quite clear".

Now they may have a clear rate for a calculation, but as far as deductibility, you may get audited one year and be OK and one year they will say it is not deductible for the same type thing. Or for one person that item will clear audit, but for another person in the same circumstance they will not, because they had a different IRS agent on it. If the regulations were "quite clear" that would never happen.
Let me be clear.

You are saying that the tax code is such that tax destructibility of personal use of a vehicle, especially in the case of deducting mileage of to/from their house to primary place of business, is dependent on which IRS agent reads/audits the return.

Correct?

This is what we have been talking about that you say is not clear in the tax code.
2x4=8, not 14.

Last edited by DanaT; 10-31-2013 at 02:24..
Closed Thread