Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 23:27   #101
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
Ah, but you can still quit. The fact there may be consequences doesn't change the fact you can quit. Heck, Cassius Clay even refused to be drafted.

Now, since you oppose anything "special" for a "volunteer job", do you want to end Veteran Preference Points, along with other goodies that come with the job you volunteered for? If not, how do you reconcile your divergent views?
This is what you don't understand. I can't quit.

I can tell him I quit, but I can not, leave the employment of the govt until I fulfill the contract, or I'm released.

A soldier can not quit.

And I never said that I was opposed to special. I said I was opposed to awarding extra rights, to volunteer jobs.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
Old 10-28-2013, 23:27   #102
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
None of those are rights.

But limiting everyone's 2nd amendment rights and then saying oh no, this group, they're special, is wrong.

If it was blacks, it'd be racist, but because its job based, it's suddenly it's ok.

The real proof in the pudding is exempting retired LEOs. You'd have a much better argument if it was simply current LEOs.
How are they not rights? I see, you think the bill of rights are the only rights we have.

You should read up on that a little bit. They didnt even want to have a bill of rights because people would assume those are the only rights we have.

Lots of people can do things you cant. You only care about this one because it is important to you.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Old 10-28-2013, 23:30   #103
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
How are they not rights? I see, you think the bill of rights are the only rights we have.

You should read up on that a little bit. They didnt even want to have a bill of rights because people would assume those are the only rights we have.

Lots of people can do things you cant. You only care about this one because it is important to you.

Who said its the only one I care about?

I didn't post about every law or rule that was wrong. I just ruffled the GT cops feathers because I agreed this was wrong, and you guys care because you want to feel you deserve a special status somewhere above the citizens you protect.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
Old 10-28-2013, 23:31   #104
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
And I never said that I was opposed to special. I said I was opposed to awarding extra rights, to volunteer jobs.
Extra rights? You cant have it both ways. You cant call it a right...and then say someone is getting "extra rights." Your argument is flawed. You either have to say "no one should ever be able to do that," or "I am being denied a right."

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Old 10-28-2013, 23:32   #105
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:

I didn't post about every law or rule that was wrong. I just ruffled the GT cops feathers because I agreed this was wrong, and you guys care because you want to feel you deserve a special status somewhere above the citizens you protect.
Do you believe the only rights we have are the ones laid out in the bill of rights? It is a yes or no question. If your answer is "no"...then you have yet to answer my questions.

Old 10-28-2013, 23:35   #106
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Quote:

I don't consider you a bad guy or cop hater, but I think you do have a bit of a chip on your shoulder. Perhaps a bit of self introspection is in order.
I think if you do that, while you might not change your basic stance, you may learn something useful.

jmho

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
Old 10-28-2013, 23:37   #107
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
Do you believe the only rights we have are the ones laid out in the bill of rights? It is a yes or no question. If your answer is "no"...then you have yet to answer my questions.

Because I don't take the time to address your every incorrect point, doesn't make them right. I'm on my phone so I can only type so much between the cop dog pile of you guys trying to out post me in an attempt to justify being a special class.

But the answer is no.

Old 10-28-2013, 23:40   #108
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

You're the one labeling "special class". Different doesn't equal "special".
I believe your label in an appeal to emotion, otherwise you and ever other occupation would be a "special class".

Do you believe you are in a "special class"?

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
Old 10-28-2013, 23:42   #109
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Because I don't take the time to address your every incorrect point, doesn't make them right. I'm on my phone so I can only type so much between the cop dog pile of you guys trying to out post me in an attempt to justify being a special class.

But the answer is no.
Ah, I see. We are wrong and in spite of you quoting most every post made, you dont have the time to actually address that.

Old 10-28-2013, 23:45   #110
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Quote:
I don't consider you a bad guy or cop hater, but I think you do have a bit of a chip on your shoulder. Perhaps a bit of self introspection is in order.
I think if you do that, while you might not change your basic stance, you may learn something useful.

jmho
It's not a chip, I'm not saying my job should have special weapons or carry rights because we're soldiers, or that soldiers are better than cops.

I simply find the general cop attitude, that you and Rabbi/BP exhibit in this thread disgusting.

We've created a special class of citizen, to go with a bad rule in your volunteer job. That's not right.

Off duty/retired cops are not special. Nor should they be. None of us should be. We all serve the citizens, in different capacitys. Making some, more equal, is another step in the wrong direction.

Old 10-28-2013, 23:47   #111
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Quote:
It's not a chip, I'm not saying my job should have special weapons or carry rights because we're soldiers, or that soldiers are better than cops.

I simply find the general cop attitude, that you and Rabbi/BP exhibit in this thread disgusting.

We've created a special class of citizen, to go with a bad rule in your volunteer job. That's not right.

Off duty/retired cops are not special. Nor should they be. None of us should be. We all serve the citizens, in different capacitys. Making some, more equal, is another step in the wrong direction.
There's that emotive writing again, "special".

How is different "special" for cops, yet not for everyone else?

Old 10-28-2013, 23:51   #112
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Who else is getting special treatment?

Old 10-28-2013, 23:55   #113
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Quote:
Who else is getting special treatment?
Do Vets get special treatment?

Old 10-28-2013, 23:56   #114
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

If we really want to scrutinize this issue...

According to AK_sticks logic, he should not be able to use the skills the military taught him to fix helicopters anywhere at anytime if he is not at work. It would be illegal for him to have a wrench and use it while not at work.

That is what being a cop is, a skill set. It just so happens to be the skill set that enforces laws. Just like countless other occupations, that skill set doesnt go away because you are not at work. The doctor can still cure, the plumber can still plunge and the helicopter mechanic can still turn a wrench.

Old 10-28-2013, 23:56   #115
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Quote:
Do Vets get special treatment?

So your claiming the HR bill is a reward for service?

Interesting argument.

Old 10-28-2013, 23:58   #116
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
So your claiming the HR bill is a reward for service?

Interesting argument.
You are moving the goal posts.

You have stood on the mountain of "no special class." and TBO flat out asked a valid question. "do Vets get special treatment." (of course they do)

Last edited by Rabbi; 10-28-2013 at 23:58..
Old 10-28-2013, 23:58   #117
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Answer the question.

Old 10-29-2013, 00:01   #118
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Answer the question.
Again, it brings up the fact that all kinds of occupations have privileges.

If you are a cop, you can carry 24/7 most everywhere. If you are a Vet you get added points on civil service tests, special loans....

Just like the doctor, lawyer, barber...

Old 10-29-2013, 00:02   #119
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Quote:
Answer the question.
I'm asking for clarification. Are you attempting to liken veteran preference points, a service related award, to the house bill?

In that comparison, no.

One is a reward for services rendered. The other is a law passed for those in service, or retired, and not a reward.

Old 10-29-2013, 00:05   #120
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Quote:
I'm asking for clarification. Are you attempting to liken veteran preference points, a service related award, to the house bill?

In that comparison, no.

One is a reward for services rendered. The other is a law passed for those in service, or retired, and not a reward.
Is not the Veteran Preference Point system in place by law?

Old 10-29-2013, 00:07   #121
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Quote:
Is not the Veteran Preference Point system in place by law?

So your argument is that HR 218 is a service connected reward?

Old 10-29-2013, 00:09   #122
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:

In that comparison, no.

Can you show me where in the Constitution it says any one can be made a special class by being given rewards?

You cant. You are just calling it what you want because what makes *you* (I served as well) special is OK...but what makes someone else special, is a problem for you.

The language of politicians is bullcrap...even when it is used for out benefit. A law is a law. They can call it a reward or tinkerbell if that want...but they exact same process happened. It is simply a benefit. Nothing more.

You want that benefit become the thing that has that benefit.

Last edited by Rabbi; 10-29-2013 at 00:11..
Old 10-29-2013, 00:13   #123
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

There is a far cry between a employer granting a optional preference point to a applicant who previously worked for the military, and considerably altering one of the basic rights from the BOR.

Old 10-29-2013, 00:14   #124
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

What are the basic rights of the BOR?

Old 10-29-2013, 00:15   #125
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

However, my argument has never been that one is right and the other not. I disagree with many laws.

They won't change, but it doesn't make it suddenly justified.

Closed Thread