SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:37   #1
dwhite53

The end of free speech and responsible press

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/...mate-skeptics/

Anyone in disagreement with central planning will have their voice shut down. What Gubmint can do with a state controlled media.

All in the name of political correctness.

All the Best,
D. White

Last edited by dwhite53; 10-20-2013 at 11:38..
dwhite53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:44   #2
ithaca_deerslayer

Wonder if they publish pro-gun letters to the editor.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:59   #3
Glockgeezer

During the past several yrs. I've had more than 50 letters to the editor published in one or both of two newspapers I subscribe to. This year, I have written at least half a dozen editorials expressing my pro-gun opinion and my thoughts on liberal gun-grabbing tactics. Not one has ever appeared in print. I have discontinued one paper and will not renew the other when my subscription expires.
I have noticed that all the papers are getting smaller & thinner and have way fewer ads than ever before. I suspect, in a few yrs. the newspaper will face extinction along with libraries and printed books. I can't say I'll be sorry to see the liberal rag sheets go!
Glockgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:04   #4
Cirdan

And it never occurs to them the tactics of the "sky is falling" crowd, by themselves, cause people to wonder?
Colt/Walther 1911 .22
Windham SRC
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:06   #5
6801car

Send a message via AIM to 6801car
I just read about the LA Times position this morning on a email sent by the Tea Party. This is Progressive's being totally honest about their goals. If you don't agree with them,shut up.

The Time's has been a joke for years and is slowing slipping into utter obscurity and vapidness. The sooner it vanishes the better.
6801car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:17   #6
Bushflyr
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ

News flash dude. They don't print letters from people claiming they were abducted and anal-probed by aliens either.

Global warming is a fact. Pure and simple. That it's caused by man is supported by nearly every shred of scientific evidence. Simply because a few fools believe the cherry picking and twisting of a few bits of out of context statistics by oil company shills doesn't change anything.

Oh, and the Earth isn't 6,000 years old either.

That which does not kill you has made a tactical error. --Tayler
Bushflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:24   #7
ddbtoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushflyr View Post
News flash dude. They don't print letters from people claiming they were abducted and anal-probed by aliens either.

Global warming is a fact. Pure and simple. That it's caused by man is supported by nearly every shred of scientific evidence. Simply because a few fools believe the cherry picking and twisting of a few bits of out of context statistics by oil company shills doesn't change anything.

I thought it was "climate change" now, and that was the new "scientific" fact. Hard to believe people when they manipulate the truth to fit a political objective. Makes one kind of skeptical.

"Thank you, but I would rather die behind the chemical sheds."
ddbtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:37   #8
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
That it's caused by man is supported by nearly every shred of scientific evidence.
No, its not. Some theories are, but they'd be wrong.

There were glaciers as far south as TX and Mexico into the last ice age, and they retreated into northern Canada eons before the Industrial Revolution was a gleam in Henry Ford's eye.

There have been dinosaur bones, fossils that included tropical palm plants….dug up in chilly ole Montana. Yes, it was tropical at one time. And not when we were around.

Look at the Hudson river, flowing down to NYC. The canyons on the way. Over time, the river eroded its way down to current level. Now follow that river out into the ocean and look at the sea floor on an undersea terrain map. You'll see another canyon run into the depths, similarly carved. Yep. The ocean was once that low. It's been rising since long before we were on the scene.

People believe what they want to believe. But the evidence proves otherwise. And the reality didn't require faked emails from East Anglia university to rig the story.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:44   #9
coastal4974

Quote:

Global warming is a scam, the lies have been exposed, the science is in, the debate is over.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:47   #10
tsmo1066
Happy Smiley

Quote:
Global warming is a fact. Pure and simple.
Gravity is a fact. Pure and simple.The question, however, is "How much gravity is caused by man vs. how much is caused by other physical phenomenon?"

How much climate change is cyclical vs. human-induced?

We know that the climate has been going through tremendous shifts and changes for hundreds of millions of years before human beings ever even existed, so legitimate questions remain on just what, exactly, is man's role in climate change vs. the myriad other factors that are influencing such changes globally.

The LA Times has decided that they simply don't want to hear anything other than "It's all our fault!". That's not journalism, it's censorship.

Last edited by tsmo1066; 10-20-2013 at 12:55..
tsmo1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:50   #11
WarCry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhite53 View Post
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/...mate-skeptics/

Anyone in disagreement with central planning will have their voice shut down. What Gubmint can do with a state controlled media.

All in the name of political correctness.

All the Best,
D. White
The LA Times is not responsible for the protection of Constitutional rights, and if you think they are, then you gravely misunderstand the purpose of the Bill of Rights.
Old 10-20-2013, 13:06   #12
sombunya

Quote:
I think what you meant to say was this: "That it's caused by man is supported by nearly every shred of scientific evidence from sources I believe are credible.

Have you met Paul Ehrlich?

http://www.hopeforpaws.org
sombunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 13:32   #13
ateamer
NRA4EVR

It doesn't matter if global warming is act or fantasy. The LA Times is a private business and has the right to tailor the information it publishes in the way that produces maximum revenue. Revenue is the only reason for existence of print media in the modern world.
Know-it-all
ateamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 15:16   #14
Bruce M

I have to think this may not be the first time that a newspaper has taken a side with a political issue or had a political leaning.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 15:21   #15
Kilrain
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
I have to think this may not be the first time that a newspaper has taken a side with a political issue or had a political leaning.
The Okie Corral

- Sterling Archer
Kilrain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 15:35   #16
NIB

LA Times is a joke and has been for several years. Their readership is in a steady decline because of their obvious far left leaning fairy tale reporting. That tells you something when even in Los Angeles they hate the LA Times.
Who blind your eyes and steal your dreams
It's Heaven and Hell
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 17:13   #17
WarCry

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB View Post
LA Times is a joke and has been for several years. Their readership is in a steady decline because of their obvious far left leaning fairy tale reporting. That tells you something when even in Los Angeles they hate the LA Times.
I have no doubt their subscription numbers are down, but I think there's more weight to the argument that people are getting their news from non-traditional sources, like free web sites.

Print news simply can't compete in the "information now" age. That has little or nothing to do with content, though.
Old 10-20-2013, 17:58   #18
HiddenEyes
It can be done

I solemnly commit the LA Times to the dustbin of history and may God have mercy on their filthy lying souls.

Mr. HE

Moi Нет sprechen español
HiddenEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 18:13   #19
Stevekozak
Returning video

I doubt the LA Times has ever been considered "responsible press". Just saying.
Old 10-20-2013, 18:36   #20
ray9898

Why is it those who scream the loudest about their 'rights' understand them the least? This has nothing to do with free speech protected by the 1st.
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:38   #21
AZson

Free press ended the day they let media companies buy out other media companies.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:13   #22
devildog2067

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddbtoth View Post
I thought it was "climate change" now, and that was the new "scientific" fact. Hard to believe people when they manipulate the truth to fit a political objective. Makes one kind of skeptical.
If you filter out the political noise and look at the science, it's actually pretty clear. All of the isotope records point tin that direction.

But it's become impossible to filter out the political noise on this topic. I don't even bother to try anymore here at GT. I see that a thread is going that direction and just move on.
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:14   #23
devildog2067

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombunya View Post
I think what you meant to say was this: "That it's caused by man is supported by nearly every shred of scientific evidence from sources I believe are credible.
Try "nearly every shred of scientific evidence from sources that most mainstream scientists believe are credible."

We certainly could all be wrong, but the weight of the evidence argues that it's not so.

Last edited by devildog2067; 10-21-2013 at 09:14..
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:53   #24
WarCry

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
Try "nearly every shred of scientific evidence from sources that most mainstream scientists believe are credible."

We certainly could all be wrong, but the weight of the evidence argues that it's not so.
Last I saw, it's something like 97% of scientific studies show evidence that the current warming trend has been influenced by man-made methods, but ya know, 97%....I'm sure that's within the margin of error, right?
Old 10-21-2013, 10:12   #25
steve1988

While I do not agree with not printing letters based solely on their subject or stance, I do not believe that this is an infringement on our first amendment rights. "Congress shall make no law..." I may not be the most astute at times, but I am pretty sure that the L.A. Times is not Congress.
Thomas Paine: "...arms...discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. ...Horrid mischief would ensue were (the law-abiding) deprived the use of them."
steve1988 is offline   Reply With Quote