Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-21-2013, 18:03   #1
DonMerlin

Alabama carry license

Retirement (again) is a few years off and the Great State of Alabama has been suggested as possibility. Retirement taxing laws makes Georgia less attractive so a move is on my horizon. I am looking for some input from the Alabama delegation. What was the carry permit process like? Any additional input would also be nice.
Thanks in advance.
DonMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 18:19   #2
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

shall issue at the sheriff's office. one year for $20 or 5 years for $100. back ground check and they take your pic. 15 minutes youre out of there with your permit.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 19:10   #3
KenMac

Al. permit

In St. Clair County, it's about the same as getting checked for gun purchase. No picture on my permit, and $15 for a year. This was before the new law of 8/1/13, which supposedly has made it even better. Come on over and join us!!
KenMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:50   #4
collim1
Shower Time!

Background check and pay the fee. Fees are set by the county sheriff, with most counties being around $25. Carry is no problem in AL.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:51   #5
BamaBud
NRA Life Member

Each county sheriff sets the fee and process.

Jefferson County: $7.50 per year. No photo, three references.

NRA Life Member
BamaBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:08   #6
markerbeacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMerlin View Post
Retirement (again) is a few years off and the Great State of Alabama has been suggested as possibility. Retirement taxing laws makes Georgia less attractive so a move is on my horizon. I am looking for some input from the Alabama delegation. What was the carry permit process like? Any additional input would also be nice.
Thanks in advance.
I moved here (Madison, AL) about two years ago from Seattle. I went to the Local Sheriff’s office to get my “Pistol Permit”. I walked in to the office and a lady was on the phone, she was also the Dispatcher on duty i.e. very busy talking on the phone and radio. I pointed at the sigh that said “Pistol Permit” and she handed me a one page form.

The Pistol permit application was simple to fill out, Name, Address, SSI, etc. BTW, all this time she was on the phone, we never exchanged “Hello” or “What can I do for you, etc” All pantomime gestures by me and her.

She took my application (took me less than 90 seconds to fill it out completely) and made some entries on here computer keyboard. I assumed she was running a background check. The Printer then started to spit out a piece of paper.

I had $15 cash in my hand and she stretched out her hand to take the money.
The printer stopped and she handed the form to me and pointed at the block to sign my name. –I did and handed it back to her.

She made a copy of the form and handed the form back to me and that was it. I had my “Pistol Permit” in less than 5 minutes, start to finish. Permit is good for one year. Recently the law was changed; you can get a Pistol permit good for 5 years.

Best part – on Saturday you can use the drive up window to get your permit.

Welcome to Alabama
markerbeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 16:08   #7
FireForged
Millenium #3936

Moving to Alabama? I would suggest very [North] AL or somewhere on the coast. As far as guns go, Alabama is the very friendly and the permit process in most places takes a few minutes and cost anywhere from $10-$25.
Old 10-27-2013, 16:32   #8
Tarheel72
Go Heels!

I too am looking at moving to Alabama in the not too distant future and would like someone there to clarify a few things for me. I am in Texas now with a valid permit.

First off I have read that you need to establish residence for six months before you can apply for a permit. Is this true? If so I assume I can carry on a valid out of state license that they recognize. Is any of this correct.

Second, I was told that if I moved out of state I could simply send in a change of address form to Texas DPS and they will change my Texas CHL from resident to a non resident. With the new Texas laws that have eliminated any classroom training for renewals and all renewals are online, then I guess I can keep that for as long as I want. But I assume it will not do me any good in Alabama, correct? By that I mean even if I have a Texas license, either a resident with a Texas address or non resident with an Alabama address, I will still need an Alabama license. Would one be any better than the other while I wait to get my Alabama CHL?

Last, is there any residency rules for things like drivers license, car tags, etc? I mean do you have to wait six months to establish residency for any of those?

Thanks
Kalashnikov Klub Member #72
Tarheel72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 16:47   #9
markerbeacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel72 View Post
I too am looking at moving to Alabama in the not too distant future and would like someone there to clarify a few things for me. I am in Texas now with a valid permit.

First off I have read that you need to establish residence for six months before you can apply for a permit. Is this true? If so I assume I can carry on a valid out of state license that they recognize. Is any of this correct.

Second, I was told that if I moved out of state I could simply send in a change of address form to Texas DPS and they will change my Texas CHL from resident to a non resident. With the new Texas laws that have eliminated any classroom training for renewals and all renewals are online, then I guess I can keep that for as long as I want. But I assume it will not do me any good in Alabama, correct? By that I mean even if I have a Texas license, either a resident with a Texas address or non resident with an Alabama address, I will still need an Alabama license. Would one be any better than the other while I wait to get my Alabama CHL?

Last, is there any residency rules for things like drivers license, car tags, etc? I mean do you have to wait six months to establish residency for any of those?

Thanks
First you need to transfer your Out of State Driver’s License (No Waiting Period). What you need is your Out-of-state driver license, Social Security card and $23.50 to purchase the license (no checks). Yes, you’ll have to make an appointment to get the Alabama License.

Once you get your Alabama Driver’s License, go to your Local Sheriff’s Office and apply for a Pistol Permit, there is no waiting period. Everything else you’ve head is pure B.S. As an example, to get my Electricity and Natural Gas turned on, all I needed was proof of ownership (or a mortgage). Easy, no waiting. same allies for your Pistol Permit.

-Mark

Last edited by markerbeacon; 10-27-2013 at 16:48..
markerbeacon is offline   Reply With Quote