TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Laser pointer attacks on airplanes skyrocketing

http://www.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-576...-skyrocketing/
---------------

Saw this on the news last night.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 4

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 13:15   #2
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate

What's the sentence like, these days, for terroristic acts and 250 counts of attempted murder?
Old 10-21-2013, 13:17   #3
Santa CruZin
RIP Mr. Mayor

When the power of the Airborne Laser gets miniaturized, I'd like to see a "return fire" capability against pricks and their little laser pointers.

Johnnie: "Hey guys, watch me point my laser at that airplane"
Freddie: "Dude, you're doin' it!"
ZOT
Freddie: "Johnnie? Where'd ya go?"
Old 10-21-2013, 13:21   #4
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa CruZin View Post
When the power of the Airborne Laser gets miniaturized, I'd like to see a "return fire" capability against pricks and their little laser pointers.

Johnnie: "Hey guys, watch me point my laser at that airplane"
Freddie: "Dude, you're doin' it!"
ZOT
Freddie: "Johnnie? Where'd ya go?"
Our existing tech is fine. Far as I'm concerned, a laser pointed at a civilian aircraft is a weapon. Appropriate response is from a Predator and some Hellfires.

ETA: Kill Freddie, too. Just leave a smoking crater in their backyard.

Last edited by RagnarDanneskjold; 10-21-2013 at 13:22..
RagnarDanneskjold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 13:22   #5
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
I will never understand the fascination people have of pointing a spotlight or laser at an airplane or helicopter.

I remember we had a thread on GT about it years ago, and several members not only admitted to doing it, but couldn't understand why it such a big deal.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 13:24   #6
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
I will never understand the fascination people have of pointing a spotlight or laser at an airplane or helicopter.

I remember we had a thread on GT about it years ago, and several members not only admitted to doing it, but couldn't understand why it such a big deal.
Current members?

ETA: Wonder how they'd like a laser in the face while they're trying to drive on the freeway? With their family in the car? Their family on the plane, would it still be no big deal?

Last edited by RagnarDanneskjold; 10-21-2013 at 13:26..
RagnarDanneskjold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 13:27   #7
robin303
Helicopter Nut

Been watching this problem a long time here and over the pond. Used to be just a stern warning years ago but now they been sending the jerks to jail up to two yrs. When they point to LEO helos they usally bust them pretty quick.
Old 10-21-2013, 13:27   #8
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

They were at the time, but I don't remember the names. But honestly, I wouldn't be surprised. It's a fairly common occurrence, and with as many members as we have, someone is bound to do it.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
Old 10-21-2013, 13:45   #9
elsolo

Wonder is the FAA will have pilots start wearing protective lenses that selectively block those wavelengths. (like you use when working with lasers in industrial settings)
elsolo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 13:46   #10
ithaca_deerslayer

Ban laser pointers!
Ban airplanes!
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 13:48   #11
rhikdavis
U.S. Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to rhikdavis Send a message via Skype™ to rhikdavis
Ah, the pilots are probably asleep anyhow.
Old 10-21-2013, 14:44   #12
Cubdriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsolo View Post
Wonder is the FAA will have pilots start wearing protective lenses that selectively block those wavelengths. (like you use when working with lasers in industrial settings)
The trouble with that idea is that color is important at night for discerning information - visual approach slope aids, runway and taxiway lights, obstruction lighting, etc are all color based, and colored lenses that would block out lasers would also foul up perception of the other colors as well. I think if we just catch a few of them and publicly string them up, the word would hopefully get out that doing this is a bad thing that could be detrimental to one's continued well being and existance.

-Pat
Old 10-21-2013, 14:47   #13
wolf19r
Problem Solved!

Send a message via AIM to wolf19r
I remember them talking about this in a class i took in college but I can't remember what it exactly does to the pilot or aircraft.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Old 10-21-2013, 14:48   #14
PBCounty

Send a message via AIM to PBCounty
I honestly don't know how you would target and track a moving airplace with such a device. I also don't really see how you'd get to a pilot's face. I guess I am not imagining this correctly.
Old 10-21-2013, 14:55   #15
Cubdriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCounty View Post
I honestly don't know how you would target and track a moving airplace with such a device. I also don't really see how you'd get to a pilot's face. I guess I am not imagining this correctly.
PBC, I think it's mainly that by the time the pointer reaches the aircraft, the beam has diverged enough that you're not trying to keep a tiny point of light in place, it's more spread out. The natural instinct when the flash of light unexpectedly hits would be to look towards it, at which point you'd be staring at a pretty intense (relatively) light source. That will very quickly ruin your night vision, and could cause major problems depending on what you're doing at the time.

-Pat
Old 10-21-2013, 15:09   #16
robin303
Helicopter Nut

Once you lose your night vision it takes 45 mins for your eyes to readjust.
Old 10-21-2013, 15:11   #17
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagnarDanneskjold View Post
Current members?

ETA: Wonder how they'd like a laser in the face while they're trying to drive on the freeway? With their family in the car? Their family on the plane, would it still be no big deal?
It happens all the time.

Google LIDAR.
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 15:18   #18
ateamer
NRA4EVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
It happens all the time.

Google LIDAR.
Google LIDAR is not in the visible spectrum.
Know-it-all
ateamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 15:22   #19
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Im at a loss here. How is any laser commonly available, like a pointer you get at an office supply store or whatever...powerful enough to be blinding to an aircraft at altitude?

Are we talking as powerful as a laser sight like on a pistol? Id think the phenomena described is some industrial item your mere mortal cant lay hands on.

And how would such a person be tracked on the ground to an aircraft moving at high speed? (Have heard of people being busted butbhow are they located especially if perp shuts off laser and disappears?
Old 10-21-2013, 15:26   #20
elsolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
Im at a loss here. How is any laser commonly available, like a pointer you get at an office supply store or whatever...powerful enough to be blinding to an aircraft at altitude?

Are we talking as powerful as a laser sight like on a pistol? Id think the phenomena described is some industrial item your mere mortal cant lay hands on.

And how would such a person be tracked on the ground to an aircraft moving at high speed? (Have heard of people being busted butbhow are they located especially if perp shuts off laser and disappears?
You can mail order pretty powerful (relatively speaking) laser pointers nowadays, strong enough to light matches.
elsolo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 15:36   #21
The Fist Of Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post

About 15 years ago, I went to an advanced photography class at FLETC, that was focused on various types of surveillance cameras and related equipment. We did a night exercise using an infrared filtered spotlight and night vision lenses on an SLR camera (pre-digital).

The spotlight they gave us was one of the million candle powered light attached to a large battery (I forget the battery size, but I had never seen one before. The beam of light that was given off unfiltered was impressive, and was just as impressive when filtered, when we looked at it through the NV lens.

They made a point to warn us not to point the light at aircraft (or at each other's eyes), and that if we did, it would be a big F-ing deal. Apparently, it had happened enough in the past that the FAA had gotten involved.

Edit: FLETC is located next to the Brunswick Jet Port, which has several commuter flights in and out per day, so aircraft are on approach, or take off near the training center.

Last edited by The Fist Of Goodness; 10-21-2013 at 15:39..
The Fist Of Goodness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 15:36   #22
DanaT
Pharaoh

Laser pointers are limited to 5mW. That is 5 milli watts.

Very quickly, I could find a 5 watt CREE flashlight

Last time I checked my math, 5W is 1000 times more than 5mW.
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 10-21-2013, 15:37   #23
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamer View Post
Google LIDAR is not in the visible spectrum.
So? Would you rather be exposed to a 1064nm laser or visible laser?
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 10-21-2013, 15:49   #24
arclight610

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCounty View Post
I think the focus is when aircraft are landing. They are low enough in altitude that the laser could actually reach it, and it is distracting the pilot in the most critical phase of flight.

From Wikipedia. 5mW laser at 3700ft and 1200ft range.
The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

Last edited by arclight610; 10-21-2013 at 15:52..
arclight610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 15:51   #25
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fist Of Goodness View Post
About 15 years ago, I went to an advanced photography class at FLETC, that was focused on various types of surveillance cameras and related equipment. We did a night exercise using an infrared filtered spotlight and night vision lenses on an SLR camera (pre-digital).

The spotlight they gave us was one of the million candle powered light attached to a large battery (I forget the battery size, but I had never seen one before. The beam of light that was given off unfiltered was impressive, and was just as impressive when filtered, when we looked at it through the NV lens.

They made a point to warn us not to point the light at aircraft (or at each other's eyes), and that if we did, it would be a big F-ing deal. Apparently, it had happened enough in the past that the FAA had gotten involved.

Edit: FLETC is located next to the Brunswick Jet Port, which has several commuter flights in and out per day, so aircraft are on approach, or take off near the training center.

Yeah, it happens. Seems the first thing people do when they get a bright light, is decide they want to play with it, via shining it at airplanes/helicopters.

I've never been lasered, but I have been spotlighted. Though they quickly learn ours is brighter.