SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:36   #161
Roger1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFeller View Post
From another thread, this post by F106Fan provides an explanation of the Glock safe trigger mechanism. The Glock trigger is more "forgiving" than the 1911 trigger mechanism. This mechanical feature of Glock pistols is the basis for the popular belief that Glocks don't need a manual safety.

"Understand the mechanism! The firing pin is cocked by moving the trigger to the rear. There isn't enough stored energy in the firing pin spring, at rest, to cause a discharge even if the firing pin accidentally dropped. And, of course, there is a firing pin block that blocks the pin from hitting the primer unless the trigger has been moved to the rear. And the trigger can't move to the rear unless the safety tab has first been moved to the rear.

The gun is not going to go off by itself. There are a number of ways to mess up but, by itself, the Safe Action is pretty good.

The single fact that the gun isn't cocked until the trigger is pulled fully to the rear just about prevents any failure....."

Some people (myself included) still believe Glocks would be more desirable with a manual safety. The most common retort to that is "then buy a gun that comes from the manufacturer with a manual safety". In fact, I agree.

I remain convinced that the Cominilli safety is a viable option for a Glock owner who decides the Safe Action Trigger lacks sufficient protection against an unintended discharge given his/her level of training and experience. Some Glock owners are not highly trained and lack extensive experience with handguns; and, most people will not seek extensive training and experience to overcome these deficiencies. While trading their Glock for a more suitable weapon might be the best solution, adding a Cominolli safety is not an unreasonable course of action, in my opinion.
You forgot that there are 2 things that block the striker. The trigger bar on the striker lug and the plunger that holds the striker.
Roger1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:51   #162
Roger1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
So the bad guy is going for the LEO's gun and gets shot and the City/County caves in & pays? I gotta call BS here as this is not a firearm issue but most likely a race/political issue and an O.J. jury pool. You go for the cops's gun and you die as a result = justice. Bad analogy.
The post does not mention that the firearm was being reached for however I would say that in just about any case unless there was video showing contrary, that the officer was guilty of no wrongdoing. The problem is, and we have all heard stories like this where the officer is cleared of criminal wrongdoing however a civil suit is filed and won for wrongful death.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:57   #163
Roger1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Roger, kudos to you for having a great deal more patience than I did.
I just dislike it when lack of knowledge of how a specific firearm functions leads to uneducated and misleading comments. As you stated, 1911's and Glocks are apples and oranges as they accomplish the same thing but in completely different ways.

On the other side of the safety coin, companies like H&K who sell most of their pistols in a V1 variation (DA/SA with a manual safety) offer the LEM kit for the USP to remove the safety and make it one of the smoothest DAO pistols I have ever shot. What was H&K thinking removing a "vital" safety feature?????
Old 10-21-2013, 07:01   #164
happyguy
Na Ben Don Chat

Quote:
Exactly

I can't even imagine the thought process that steers people to put some cheap and cheesy lever safety on their Glock.
The same thought process that leads some people to carry cheap and cheesy Glocks in the first place.

Regards,
Happyguy

"Nobody should ever run a race where they are lapped by the sun."
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:47   #165
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger1079 View Post
That actually is all you need. Please explain to me how you are going to have an accidental discharge with a Glock that is in a holster with the trigger guard completely covered. Sounds like total safety to me. For a Glock to fire without the trigger being pulled, multiple parts would need to fail all at once. I suppose it is possible, but so is being struck by lightning.

Even though it is the most asinine comment you have made yet, I will answer about firearms like the 1911. They are single action only pistols. They require minimal pressure and minimal travel to pull the trigger. Double action only pistols are much more forgiving to stupidity in this respect as they are generally of a higher pull weight and have considerable pre travel making the safety an unnecessary feature due care is shown.
Hey, Roger, please read all of my posts. The 1911 issue was answered, and I acknowledged the difference between Glock and 1911 triggers. Reread my post included in your post #161.

Thanks for taking time to address the questions I raised. Real discussions with facts and explanations like yours are helpful to folks who come here to learn.

As for the "asinine" nature of my comments, try to understand that I ask questions sometimes for the purpose of generating discussion. I also poke and probe sometimes when information or opinions seem off the mark.

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 10-21-2013 at 08:11..
PhotoFeller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:06   #166
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger1079 View Post
Yes, that is exactly what he is saying. Look at diagrams of what happens when the trigger is pulled on a 1911 then do the same for a Glock. A 1911 with the hammer back is under full tension already as the main spring is compressed by the hammer strut. Pulling the trigger simply releases the hammer and all the spring tension from the main spring is released dropping the hammer on a firing spring that is held by a spring not under tension. With a Glock, when you pull the trigger, the first part of your pull is preloading the striker spring which was only under partial tension before the pull. During this process you are also moving the pluger that holds the firing pin and moving the trigger bar from blocking the striker lug.

If you don't grasp what I just said, there are animated diagrams if you search Google. Just the functional differences between the pistols kill your entire argument.
Roger, my posts about Glock vs. 1911 triggers were aimed at the logic of handgun safety "rules" that always surface here in discussions about the Glock safe action trigger. How does one justify not having a manual safety on a Glock when the 1911 aficionados all agree its necessary for a 1911? Before your answer was posted, F106Fan provided a good answer. Others didn't answer because they were too busy criticizing the question.

Questions that elicit meaningful answers are helpful to people who are interested in learning. Answers that criticize the question and the questioner are detrimental to the process.

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 10-21-2013 at 08:09..
Old 10-21-2013, 08:10   #167
happyguy
Na Ben Don Chat

If Glock introduced new models with the Comminolli safety installed at the factory you would hear an uproar no doubt. But the uproar would die down and everyone would just choose which one they preferred.

That wouldn't be near as fun as these debates though.

Regards,
Happyguy

"Nobody should ever run a race where they are lapped by the sun."

Last edited by happyguy; 10-21-2013 at 08:27..
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:25   #168
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Well, this thread was a bit of an exception, unfortunately. I love how you try policing this thread after adding so much to the augmentative nature of it.

Stop quoting my posts and we'll move on...
There is no way you can justify using terms like "stupid", "stupidity" and "Darwin award" in reference to honest questions and statements made in this thread. Wait, maybe 80,000+ posts gives you a license to insult people. After 78,000 more posts I could call you...(I have a term in mind).
Old 10-21-2013, 08:33   #169
dakrat

Quote:
There is no way you can justify using terms like "stupid", "stupidity" and "Darwin award" in reference to honest questions and statements made in this thread. Wait, maybe 80,000+ posts gives you a license to insult people. After 78,000 more posts I could call you...(I have a term in mind).
that tongueout smiley is childish and not warranted in this forum.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:39   #170
bac1023

Quote:
No special license here. *However, I was the first with the insults in this thread. Your buddy called all of us fools, after spending $1600 to ruin twelve Glocks.

I also wasn't the one starting the arguments.

Regardless, hopefully you came out of this thread with more knowledge than when it started.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:00   #171
PhotoFeller

The following statement by Maas Ayoob in a Glock Talk post (and other, similar statements he's made in response to GT inquiries) helped me accept the Cominolli safety as a reasonable modification for a Glock:

"I've tried the Cominolli thumb safety on the Glock and like it very much. Rick Devoid at Tarnhelm (www.tarnhelm.com) does a great installation, reasonably priced with quick turnaround. Only downside I can see is that it is right-hand only.

Best,
Mas"

I have no personal experience with the Cominolli. Maas has tried it and judged it to be worthwhile. His other GT posts on this subject are accessible via the search function.

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 10-21-2013 at 09:12..
Old 10-21-2013, 09:05   #172
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

Up front I am saying this is only FOR ME, but after watching the testimony during the Zimmerman trial, I am leery about any modifications to my carry guns other than sights.
BuckyP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:13   #173
bac1023

Quote:
The following statement by Maas Ayoob in a Glock Talk post (and other, similar statements he's made in response to GT inquiries) helped me accept the Cominolli safety as a reasonable modification for a Glock:

"I've tried the Cominolli thumb safety on the Glock and like it very much. Rick Devoid at Tarnhelm (www.tarnhelm.com) does a great installation, reasonably priced with quick turnaround. Only downside I can see is that it is right-hand only.

Best,
Mas"

I have no personal experience with the Cominolli. Maas has tried it and judged that it to be worthwhile. His other GT posts on this subject are accessible via the search function.
I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish here. If you like it and want to give it a try, go for it.

That way, you can speak from experience and tell us how great the product is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:15   #174
Impreza

Less controls to snag on exterior the better...Don't want one!
Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:31   #175
tager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyP View Post
Up front I am saying this is only FOR ME, but after watching the testimony during the Zimmerman trial, I am leery about any modifications to my carry guns other than sights.

Morning BuckyP

I understand what your getting at but a modified gun is a modified gun, so wouldn't different sights still make your gun a modified gun to make it more deadly & dangerous?
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:14   #176
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakrat View Post
that tongueout smiley is childish and not warranted in this forum.
Ya, but its ok for you to issue a "Darwin Award" to a fellow GTer? Thats not childish?
Old 10-21-2013, 10:21   #177
PhotoFeller

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish here.
Its all about keeping balance in the discussion. You know, you imply its foolish to spend money on a mod that ruins a Glock (post #170) and I offer a different point of view from Maas Ayoob..

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 10-21-2013 at 10:29..
Old 10-21-2013, 10:23   #178
Beanie-Bean

To get back on track...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich47 View Post
Hi, I just watched a YouTube video in which someone had a external manual safety put on their Glock 30s. Has anyone here had that done? By whom?

Thanks
Rich
Rich,

Nope...not on any of my Glocks. There are already three safeties, and my booger hook doesn't start pulling the trigger rearward until I am good with Firearms Safety Rule #4.

There are plenty of other firearms out there with manual safeties installed as part of their designs, if you're not interested in how Glock designed their system.

Beanie-Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:26   #179
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
Morning BuckyP

I understand what your getting at but a modified gun is a modified gun, so wouldn't different sights still make your gun a modified gun to make it more deadly & dangerous?
I guess an argument can be made. The trial focused a lot of the trigger pull, if and mods were made to that, and the fact that the gun did not have a safety.

That being said, both my G27 and G30 have the factory smooth triggers.
BuckyP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:55   #180
bac1023

Quote:
Ya, but its ok for you to issue a "Darwin Award" to a fellow GTer? Thats not childish?
You mean the guy that called us all foolish liberals?