Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-20-2013, 17:55   #141
#5xbr

because you are the only one here apparantly that has even played with the mod ,that why i gave you defference
#5xbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 17:56   #142
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by #5xbr View Post
Bac im suprised at your response that the original post" does not matter". wow
I'm surprised that you don't understand how forums work by now. Yes, the original questions are relevant. However, you can't expect people to read a question like that and not have a reaction.

Its just the way it is and its won't be changing any time soon.

Believe me, every thread I start probably goes off topic at some point and I'm not even bringing up topics that are nearly this polarizing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 17:57   #143
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by #5xbr View Post
because you are the only one here apparantly that has even played with the mod ,that why i gave you defference
That's not the case at all. In fact, one guy in the thread installed the mod on all twelve of his Glocks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 10-20-2013, 18:00   #144
#5xbr

o.k im all typed out. thx everybody!
#5xbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 19:04   #145
dakrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
That's not the case at all. In fact, one guy in the thread installed the mod on all twelve of his Glocks.
Considering the Glocks main rival the M&P comes with manual thumb safety, I would give this man the Glock loyalty award and Darwin award as a bonus
Old 10-20-2013, 19:28   #146
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakrat View Post
Considering the Glocks main rival the M&P comes with manual thumb safety, I would give this man the Glock loyalty award and Darwin award as a bonus
The thumb safety is an option and was implemented because of military and law enforcement requirements. Add a simple thumb safety and now it can be in the running for those entities that require one. All it does is block the trigger from moving back on it's own just like the trigger safety already does.

ETA: I thought you where talking to Bac with the quote. Still relevant info though.

Last edited by Nakanokalronin; 10-20-2013 at 22:10..
Nakanokalronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 19:35   #147
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakrat View Post

The Darwin award for sure, especially when you consider it cost him an extra $135 per gun to do it...

So, you have twelve $650 Glocks that are worth less than twelve unmolested models.

Old 10-20-2013, 20:45   #148
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:

The Darwin award for sure, especially when you consider it cost him an extra $135 per gun to do it...

So, you have twelve $650 Glocks that are worth less than twelve unmolested models.
Their theoretical market value only matters if you choose to sell them, of course.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 21:01   #149
will609

If you really want a striker fire pistol with a manual safety then Glock is not you gun. I love the Glocks because they are reliable and simple. Once you rack the slide you"re hot and no manual safety to worry about.
will609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 21:11   #150
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
Their theoretical market value only matters if you choose to sell them, of course.
Very true

Like I said to him, hopefully he doesn't plan to resell.

Old 10-20-2013, 22:46   #151
PhotoFeller

Quote:

:
Personal comments like this are unwarranted, in my opinion. Its ok to challenge and disagree, because people learn from discussion and debate. Many folks who don't participate by posting benefit from following the discussion. Folks who are new to handguns and Glocks really benefit from the ideas and opinions offered by experienced members; thats the real value of forums like GT.

I haven't counted the references to "stupid" and "stupidity", but they were frequent. And now the use of "Darwin award", which is about as personal as a negative comment could be. I know this is a forum and we are supposed to be big boys with thick skin, but why disregard common decency as a general guideline?

Lets move on.
PhotoFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 22:59   #152
onemanwolfpack
1 man wolf pack

I have a good anecdote on this exact topic. This incident forever changed my views on this topic. I decided I wanted to carry with a manual safety, so like any other gun savvy person with this thought....1911, cocked and locked. got a springfield 1911, as well as a RIA officers model for some variation. When it was time to take my CCW class here in OHIO...boom, bring my 1911. this class was taught by a local policeman and FFL dealer. he kind of nodded at me like what are you thinking...you know in the heat of the moment, 90% of the time you wont think about that manual safety!...he then cited a few fire fights hes been in through his LE career in which officers were wounded for this exact reason(back when they were carrying the Smith and Wesson pistols) anyway, long story long...when it came time to qualify, one of the drills was a simulated situation where we were browsing at a mall, and he would announce shooter and we draw, aquire, fire and move. etc. anyway, guess which idiot didnt hit the safety......this guy! traded for a few new glocks the next day....a 30S and a gen4 27.....
onemanwolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:05   #153
Athink3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyparson View Post
What IS the difference IF I had one done or IF I bought one already done????? Their STILL junk!!!!

GLOCKS Don't need external manual safety!!!!!!
I know that playing the grammar police always makes one look like an ass, but you said "their junk" twice already. I believe that you meant "they're junk".

Stay in school boys and girls!
Athink3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:22   #154
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich47 View Post
Hi, I just watched a YouTube video in which someone had a external manual safety put on their Glock 30s. Has anyone here had that done? By whom?

Thanks
Rich
I can see arguments on both sides of the issue. I knew a leo who accidentally killed a man with his Glock when the two were wrestling while the officer was subduing the man and the trigger "safety" on the Glock got hit and then the trigger was depressed by during the scuffle. It cost the county involved 2 million dollars. Normally if you keep the finger off the trigger that is all that is needed but I would suggest the USP Series by HK if you are concerned about the safety issue. If you have children around I would suggest another brand of weapon other than Glock if the firearm is not locked up at home if a live round is in the chamber.

Cool songs:

Cool car:
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:08   #155
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFeller View Post
Personal comments like this are unwarranted, in my opinion. Its ok to challenge and disagree, because people learn from discussion and debate. Many folks who don't participate by posting benefit from following the discussion. Folks who are new to handguns and Glocks really benefit from the ideas and opinions offered by experienced members; thats the real value of forums like GT.

I haven't counted the references to "stupid" and "stupidity", but they were frequent. And now the use of "Darwin award", which is about as personal as a negative comment could be. I know this is a forum and we are supposed to be big boys with thick skin, but why disregard common decency as a general guideline?

Lets move on.
Well, this thread was a bit of an exception, unfortunately. I love how you try policing this thread after adding so much to the augmentative nature of it.

Stop quoting my posts and we'll move on...

Last edited by bac1023; 10-21-2013 at 05:51..
Old 10-21-2013, 04:35   #156
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneyBooney View Post
...I knew a leo who accidentally killed a man with his Glock when the two were wrestling while the officer was subduing the man and the trigger "safety" on the Glock got hit and then the trigger was depressed by during the scuffle. It cost the county involved 2 million dollars...

So the bad guy is going for the LEO's gun and gets shot and the City/County caves in & pays? I gotta call BS here as this is not a firearm issue but most likely a race/political issue and an O.J. jury pool. You go for the cops's gun and you die as a result = justice. Bad analogy.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:22   #157
Roger1079

Quote:
Hmmm. What if you already own a Glock and decide you want an external safety?

The Cominolli safety is regarded as a well designed accessory that doesn't void the Glock factory warranty. That sounds pretty simple, too.
Deciding to put an external safety on a Glock is simply admitting that a Glock pistol is not for you and you figured that out after the purchase. Sell it and buy something that is for you. There are so many choices out there that offer external thumb safeties from the factory that there is no need to ruin a perfectly good firearm with an aftermarket part that adds more complication and failure points to a perfectly fine pistol.

If you want a pistol similar in function to a Glock with an optional thumb safety, a S&W M&P might be a good choice. H&K, Sig, FN, Ruger, and just about any 1911 manufacturer also make fine pistols with external safeties either standard or optional from the factory.
Roger1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:47   #158
Roger1079

Quote:
Now here ^^ is an idea worthy of consideration. Covering the trigger with a quality holster is all the protection one needs to carry with absolute safety.

Hmmm. Why do bac and others who tote 1911s want that darn manual safety when a $50+ holster is all they really need? All one has to do after the gun is drawn from the holster is keep from touching the trigger till its time to go boom. Problem solved! No manual safety needed...on any handgun!
That actually is all you need. Please explain to me how you are going to have an accidental discharge with a Glock that is in a holster with the trigger guard completely covered. Sounds like total safety to me. For a Glock to fire without the trigger being pulled, multiple parts would need to fail all at once. I suppose it is possible, but so is being struck by lightning.

Even though it is the most asinine comment you have made yet, I will answer about firearms like the 1911. They are single action only pistols. They require minimal pressure and minimal travel to pull the trigger. Double action only pistols are much more forgiving to stupidity in this respect as they are generally of a higher pull weight and have considerable pre travel making the safety an unnecessary feature due care is shown.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:10   #159
Roger1079

Quote:
Are you saying the Glock pistol forgives some unintended pressure on the trigger while a 1911 does not? Said another way, one can be a little 'sloppy' with a Glock in Condition 1 while there is no margin for sloppiness with a cocked and locked 1911?

What element of common sense am I overlooking?

Are you also saying trigger finger discipline does not provide absolute prevention of touching the trigger unintentionally.
Yes, that is exactly what he is saying. Look at diagrams of what happens when the trigger is pulled on a 1911 then do the same for a Glock. A 1911 with the hammer back is under full tension already as the main spring is compressed by the hammer strut. Pulling the trigger simply releases the hammer and all the spring tension from the main spring is released dropping the hammer on a firing spring that is held by a spring not under tension. With a Glock, when you pull the trigger, the first part of your pull is preloading the striker spring which was only under partial tension before the pull. During this process you are also moving the pluger that holds the firing pin and moving the trigger bar from blocking the striker lug.

If you don't grasp what I just said, there are animated diagrams if you search Google. Just the functional differences between the pistols kill your entire argument.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:13   #160
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger1079 View Post
Deciding to put an external safety on a Glock is simply admitting that a Glock pistol is not for you and you figured that out after the purchase. Sell it and buy something that is for you. There are so many choices out there that offer external thumb safeties from the factory that there is no need to ruin a perfectly good firearm with an aftermarket part that adds more complication and failure points to a perfectly fine pistol.

If you want a pistol similar in function to a Glock with an optional thumb safety, a S&W M&P might be a good choice. H&K, Sig, FN, Ruger, and just about any 1911 manufacturer also make fine pistols with external safeties either standard or optional from the factory.
Quote:
That actually is all you need. Please explain to me how you are going to have an accidental discharge with a Glock that is in a holster with the trigger guard completely covered. Sounds like total safety to me. For a Glock to fire without the trigger being pulled, multiple parts would need to fail all at once. I suppose it is possible, but so is being struck by lightning.

Even though it is the most asinine comment you have made yet, I will answer about firearms like the 1911. They are single action only pistols. They require minimal pressure and minimal travel to pull the trigger. Double action only pistols are much more forgiving to stupidity in this respect as they are generally of a higher pull weight and have considerable pre travel making the safety an unnecessary feature due care is shown.
Quote:
Yes, that is exactly what he is saying. Look at diagrams of what happens when the trigger is pulled on a 1911 then do the same for a Glock. A 1911 with the hammer back is under full tension already as the main spring is compressed by the hammer strut. Pulling the trigger simply releases the hammer and all the spring tension from the main spring is released dropping the hammer on a firing spring that is held by a spring not under tension. With a Glock, when you pull the trigger, the first part of your pull is preloading the striker spring which was only under partial tension before the pull. During this process you are also moving the pluger that holds the firing pin and moving the trigger bar from blocking the striker lug.

If you don't grasp what I just said, there are animated diagrams if you search Google. Just the functional differences between the pistols kill your entire argument.

Roger, kudos to you for having a great deal more patience than I did.