Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-18-2013, 18:40   #1
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

Glock - connector: who has one on their carry/HD Glock?

I recently bought the olive NY1 trigger spring and minus - Glock 3.5/4.5 connector and wasn't really impressed with the change of pull. For the heck of it I took out the NY1 spring and left the 3.5/4.5 minus connector in. As far as I can tell ,it may be about a pound less than stock which would be right around 4.5lbs. It's not mushy, it resets just as well as stock, but the pull is just a tad lighter which I really like.

I've read that some people say it's too light for carry, but I'm wondering if they're talking about the aftermarket 3.5 connectors with the thinner metal bodies. Those might make it too light for carry, but it sure dosn't feel that way with the Glock minus one.

I have it in my G19 right now, but I immediately ordered another for my G26 that is my current carry piece. Does anyone here run a 3.5/4.5 Glock connector or other connector with everything else as is on a CCW/HD Glock?
Nakanokalronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 18:57   #2
SCmasterblaster

I have a Glock 3.5 connector in my G17 - I like it in my CCW pistol (G17).
Old 10-18-2013, 19:13   #3
CADguy

I have Glock "-" connectors in my G26, G19 & G23 combined with 6# trigger springs. I think you'll find that most aftermarket connectors aren't thinned in the spring area - at least not thickness-wise. Many have holes, slots or have been thinned in width which leaves them stiffer than the OEM-style connectors. Without those cross-sectional area reductions, they'd probably be even stiffer yet. You'd have a firm reset but most likely some drag when racking the slide. And no, I don't think they're too light for carry...
Old 10-18-2013, 19:14   #4
Cashgap

Glock Minus connector and NY1 spring in every carry, home, and competition Glock I own. No other mods other than lubrication, sights, and dry firing.

NRA Instructor, TN Handgun Carry Instructor, Glock Armorer, Certified Merger & Acquisition Advisor, Certified Lease Professional, Bunburner 1500 Gold rider, C&R FFL, N8ZTE, MBA, MACC = One of a kind
Cashgap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 19:23   #5
CADguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashgap View Post
Glock Minus connector and NY1 spring in every carry, home, and competition Glock I own. No other mods other than lubrication, sights, and dry firing.
Since I haven't tried it myself, when using the NY1 trigger spring, do you still feel the "wall" when the trigger bar nose contacts the angled lip on the connector? Or does it just feel like a continuous pull until the striker is released?
Old 10-18-2013, 19:36   #6
FireMedic-50
Fascinated

i use the unpolished 4.5's [3.5] in all my glocks, no other modifications.

my personal favorite set up

Last edited by FireMedic-50; 10-18-2013 at 19:37..
FireMedic-50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 19:46   #7
SouthernBoyVA

I have tested five different connectors in my primary carry gen3 G23 and for my purposes, found the Glock 3.5 connector (part #0015) to be the best overall. I have it in five (maybe six) of my Glocks, five of which also have a 6 pound trigger spring. For me, this is a very good setup.
Old 10-18-2013, 19:51   #8
Chesafreak

I have the minus connector and everything polished in my G23. It takes 4.5 lbs of deliberate but smooth pull.

It helps with the accuracy a bit too. You've seen that 2.5" silhouette at the top left hand corner of a silhouette target? Head shot! Honestly I was just aiming for the 5, but I'm proud of that shot!

General Glocking

Last edited by Chesafreak; 10-18-2013 at 19:52..
Chesafreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 21:51   #9
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

Looks like I'm not the only one then. I figured it wouldn't be a problem since the difference isn't really all that much, but enough to make for a better pull.

I'm not one for modifying carry gun trigger pull weights, but I think the "-" connector gives the edge to Glock where I'd have no problem putting it in every one I owned with no other modifications, no matter what it's purpose was.
Old 10-18-2013, 21:53   #10
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesafreak View Post
I have the minus connector and everything polished in my G23. It takes 4.5 lbs of deliberate but smooth pull.

It helps with the accuracy a bit too. You've seen that 2.5" silhouette at the top left hand corner of a silhouette target? Head shot! Honestly I was just aiming for the 5, but I'm proud of that shot!

General Glocking
How many yards out?
Old 10-18-2013, 21:57   #11
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADguy View Post
Since I haven't tried it myself, when using the NY1 trigger spring, do you still feel the "wall" when the trigger bar nose contacts the angled lip on the connector? Or does it just feel like a continuous pull until the striker is released?
I know you asked someone else, but It basically starts the pull immediately and is consistent all the way until the end. It also pushes the trigger back out forcefully for reset. I really didn't care for the combo much personally.

Last edited by Nakanokalronin; 10-18-2013 at 21:58..
Old 10-18-2013, 22:04   #12
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

Quote:
I have Glock "-" connectors in my G26, G19 & G23 combined with 6# trigger springs. I think you'll find that most aftermarket connectors aren't thinned in the spring area - at least not thickness-wise. Many have holes, slots or have been thinned in width which leaves them stiffer than the OEM-style connectors. Without those cross-sectional area reductions, they'd probably be even stiffer yet. You'd have a firm reset but most likely some drag when racking the slide. And no, I don't think they're too light for carry...
I meant thinned in the body width wise. Seems that less material on the sides of the body width wise would let them spring a little more unless they're heat treating them to different hardness.
Old 10-18-2013, 22:08   #13
CADguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakanokalronin View Post
Looks like I'm not the only one then. I figured it wouldn't be a problem since the difference isn't really all that much, but enough to make for a better pull.

I'm not one for modifying carry gun trigger pull weights, but I think the "-" connector gives the edge to Glock where I'd have no problem putting it in every one I owned with no other modifications, no matter what it's purpose was.
I doubt that you're the only one. Swapping the 6# trigger spring for the standard 5# spring isn't a very dramatic difference IMHO. It just adds to the smoothness for me. The "-" connector is the biggest contributor.

Many like the feel with the NY1 spring but I like feeling that "wall" for staging the trigger for my first shot.

(Sorry. Missed the "not" in your first line...)

Last edited by CADguy; 10-18-2013 at 22:11.. Reason: Can't read straight this time of night...
CADguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 22:16   #14
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

Quote:
I doubt that you're the only one. Swapping the 6# trigger spring for the standard 5# spring isn't a very dramatic difference IMHO. It just adds to the smoothness for me. The "-" connector is the biggest contributor.

Many like the feel with the NY1 spring but I like feeling that "wall" for staging the trigger for my first shot.

(Sorry. Missed the "not" in your first line...)
The part in red is one of the reasons I took the NY1 spring out. The "-" connector only for me from this point on.
Old 10-18-2013, 22:29   #15
CADguy

Quote:
I meant thinned in the body width wise. Seems that less material on the sides of the body width wise would let them spring a little more unless they're heat treating them to different hardness.
If you reduce the cross-sectional area by thinning the width instead of the thickness, the connector is more rigid because you have more material in compression and tension in front of and behind the centerline of the thickness. Think of bending sheet metal vs. a bar...

Unless, of course, you make the width so thin you sacrifice structural integrity. It would probably break from torqueing as the trigger bar repeatedly hits the ramp on pull and the cam in the slide hits the connector tab on return. Back and forth until...SNAP!
Old 10-18-2013, 22:32   #16
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

Quote:
If you reduce the cross-sectional area by thinning the width instead of the thickness, the connector is more rigid because you have more material in compression and tension in front of and behind the centerline of the thickness. Think of bending sheet metal vs. a bar...

Unless, of course, you make the width so thin you sacrifice structural integrity. It would probably break from torqueing as the trigger bar repeatedly hits the ramp on pull and the cam in the slide hits the connector tab on return. Back and forth until...SNAP!
That's what I was thinking. I work with different metals all day and seeing the thinner connectors (width not thickness wise) made me think it would have a greater risk of breaking than one with the full width.
Old 10-18-2013, 22:36   #17
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

So I don't have to start a new thread, anyone know why the G17 trigger bar where the trigger spring attaches differs from the G19 and G26?

Found a photo from Google thankfully so I don't have to tear mine down. Area is circled.
General Glocking

Seems to me that the G17 trigger bar has a nice grove there to keep the spring straight at all times, yet the G19 and 26 bars are flat.

G17 bar with groove for spring hook to rest in.
General Glocking
Old 10-18-2013, 22:41   #18
libarts.tech
Charles Wagoner

On my Gen4 G19, I have found that the best combo for me is:
  • Minus Connector
  • NY1 Trigger Spring
  • G17 Gen3 Trigger and Trigger Bar
  • Beavertail Backstrap, cut in half. Believe it or not, the extra 2mm at the webbing of my hand makes a difference.

For me, this creates a heavier but smoother pull. I like it very much.
libarts.tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 22:43   #19
libarts.tech
Charles Wagoner

Quote:
So I don't have to start a new thread, anyone know why the G17 trigger bar where the trigger spring attaches differs from the G19 and G26?

Seems to me that the G17 trigger bar has a nice grove there to keep the spring straight at all times, yet the G19 and 26 bars are flat.
Not on mine. My Gen4 G19 came with a curved trigger bar. This might be due to the change in angle of the trigger housing between the Gen3 and Gen4.
libarts.tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 23:20   #20
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by libarts.tech View Post
Not on mine. My Gen4 G19 came with a curved trigger bar. This might be due to the change in angle of the trigger housing between the Gen3 and Gen4.
Well I took out the stock Gen3 19 & 26 bars and replaced them with the 17 bars like in the picture. Is the different trigger spring attachment point because of the Gen4s or did it happen earlier? They work fine and seem to be a better setup for the spring hook to wrap around.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:17   #21
jwm3

I was carrying 3.5/6 combo until Mas' thoughts on it. I'm waiting for a Ny-1 to try that out. If that doesn't work I'm fine as it come from Glock.

I DID like the 3.5/6 trigger better though (and yes I am an old DA/SA guy learning the ways of the Glock)
jwm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:28   #22
lupuss

Quote:

G17 bar with groove for spring hook to rest in.
General Glocking

All the newer trigger bars are coming with that curve where the trigger spring sits.

Most common area where the trigger spring had been breaking was the lower loop that holds the trigger bar. Mostly it was due to sharp contact areas. Glock solved this porblem and increased the service life of the spring by distributing the load over the lower loop of the spring by that curve.

Last edited by lupuss; 10-19-2013 at 01:46..
lupuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:37   #23
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupuss View Post
All the newer trigger bars are coming with that curve where the trigger spring sits.

Most common area where the trigger spring had been breaking was the lower loop that holds the trigger bar. Mostly it was due to sharp contact areas. Glock solved this porblem by distributing the load over the lower loop of the spring by that curve.
Okay, I got it now. My mid-year 2013 G19 and G26 still had the flat type so they must be saving the new type for the Gen4s. I got the curved type from Glockmeister and wondered about it when I compared it to the type I took out.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:41   #24
RayB
Retired Member

Quote:
I have it in my G19 right now, but I immediately ordered another for my G26 that is my current carry piece. Does anyone here run a 3.5/4.5 Glock connector or other connector with everything else as is on a CCW/HD Glock?

Sure, my 3rd Gen G26 EDC has a 3.5 lb. aftermarket connector, that I liked immediately. It's probably more like 5.0 lbs., but a much smoother pull... I didn't want to shoot 5,000+ rounds to get the trigger worn in on this gun, and I'm well pleased with it!

Let's face it, a new Glock shoots like a staple gun, and a smoother trigger equals better shot placement, which equals a safer carry weapon.

My G26 also sports a LWD SS Barrel (sans that juvenile logo), Pearce PG-2733 +1 Magazine Extensions, and chrome/extended everything... And it all works great!

At typical pistol distances for me, this G26 is as accurate as my venerable and beloved 3rd Gen G17... I'm thinking of adding the same 3.5 connector to this gun as well!

--Ray
RayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:45   #25
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayB View Post
Sure, my 3rd Gen G26 EDC has a 3.5 lb. aftermarket connector, that I liked immediately. It's probably more like 5.0 lbs., but a much smoother pull... I didn't want to shoot 5,000+ rounds to get the trigger worn in on this gun, and I'm well pleased with it!

Let's face it, a new Glock shoots like a staple gun, and a smoother trigger equals better shot placement, which equals a safer carry weapon.

My G26 also sports a LWD SS Barrel (sans that juvenile logo), Pearce PG-2733 +1 Magazine Extensions, and chrome/extended everything... And it all works great!

At typical pistol distances for me, this G26 is as accurate as my venerable and beloved 3rd Gen G17... I'm thinking of adding the same 3.5 connector to this gun as well!

--Ray
I don't plan on buying any more Glocks, but if I did they would certainly get the "-" as soon as I got it home. I'm not sure why people say it's too light or a liability when it only takes .5lb to 1lb off the pull weight. A good shoot is a good shoot.