GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 22:06   #1
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?
 
TBO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NRA Life Member
Posts: 43,558
Blog Entries: 1


Man who found Boston Marathon bomb suspect in boat sets record straight

Man who found Boston Marathon bomb suspect in boat sets record straight about discovery

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/16...cmp=latestnews

Quote:
...Media have reported that the retired technician went to investigate after seeing blood on his boat, which was on a trailer and wrapped for the winter season. But Henneberry said the truth is he never would have approached the boat on April 19 had he seen blood, the paper reported Wednesday.
"If I had seen blood out there, I wouldn't have investigated it," Henneberry said. "I'm not crazy."
Instead, he noticed some padding used to protect the hull of the 24-foot vessel had fallen to the ground, so he went to fix it. He grabbed a stepladder and put it beside the boat, the Slip Away II. When he lifted a piece of shrink wrap, he noticed blood splattered on the deck, then he spotted a man, curled in a fetal position, inside the boat...
----------------

Can you imagine the adrenalin surge?
__________________
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”


Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:42   #2
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn
 
Dennis in MA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Taunton, MA
Posts: 52,450
Shhhhh. You're just going to poke the conspiracists. I mean, after 6 months in some 3rd world hell-hole, he'll go on TV and say whatever the black ops people WANT him to say.
__________________
The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd.
Dennis in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:52   #3
RichJ
Senior Member
 
RichJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,725
Had he just seen a teen in his boat he may have thought he was homeless or possibly up to mischief and hiding. It was the blood that sold it.

So he did see blood and then called the cops. With such a minor difference in the narrative, why is this even a story?
RichJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:25   #4
eb07
Sharkin'
 
eb07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Third Rock From the Sun
Posts: 2,020
He is lucky he didn't get shot. Seriously.
eb07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:45   #5
ithaca_deerslayer
Senior Member
 
ithaca_deerslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Upstate NY, USA
Posts: 18,584
He should have asked the murderer to step out of his boat, and move to the neighbor's yard, so his boat wouldn't get perforated with 4,000 holes.
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:16   #6
CAcop
Senior Member
 
CAcop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: California
Posts: 21,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
He should have asked the murderer to step out of his boat, and move to the neighbor's yard, so his boat wouldn't get perforated with 4,000 holes.
4,000 holes?
__________________
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:35   #7
Ron36105
Senior Member
 
Ron36105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 132
$1000 is all this poor guy got for his boat. That sucks!!!! I can understand not wanting any atention from this. I do feel bad for the guy for only getting $1000 for his boat. That is what the news article said his insurance company gave him. SUCKS.... Trust me if i was weatlthy and could afford to buy this old boy a new boat for him and his wife to enjoy their retirement on i gladly would. That just SUCKS
__________________
G27 GEN3 G23 GEN3
G22 RTF2 GILLED
G35 GEN3
GSSF MEMBER
CERTIFIED GLOCK ARMORER
Ron36105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:41   #8
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?
 
TBO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NRA Life Member
Posts: 43,558
Blog Entries: 1


He could auction parts of it on eBay and buy a new boat from the profits.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 4
__________________
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”


Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:45   #9
patriot550
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron36105 View Post
$1000 is all this poor guy got for his boat. That sucks!!!! I can understand not wanting any atention from this. I do feel bad for the guy for only getting $1000 for his boat. That is what the news article said his insurance company gave him. SUCKS.... Trust me if i was weatlthy and could afford to buy this old boy a new boat for him and his wife to enjoy their retirement on i gladly would. That just SUCKS
I thought I read the boat company gave him a new one, but I guess that might have been wrong. And, why in the hell didn't the police/agency(ies) who shot up the boat reimburse him? Don't they have insurance, or whatever, for situations like this? When that ex-cop Dorner was on the run in CA and the police shot up those two old ladies in their truck, they were fully reimbursed with a replacement, although I do think I remember it was like pulling teeth for them.
patriot550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:51   #10
CAcop
Senior Member
 
CAcop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: California
Posts: 21,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot550 View Post
I thought I read the boat company gave him a new one, but I guess that might have been wrong. And, why in the hell didn't the police/agency(ies) who shot up the boat reimburse him? Don't they have insurance, or whatever, for situations like this? When that ex-cop Dorner was on the run in CA and the police shot up those two old ladies in their truck, they were fully reimbursed with a replacement, although I do think I remember it was like pulling teeth for them.
Interesting you should mention this. Three of our officers shot a suspect and a series of garages. Moving targets are hard to hit. We did not have a legal obligation to pay because we were not the responsible party. The dead dbag is. People just want money from the government because they have it and the dbags who cause the problems don't.

We ended up paying for it because the owners were being reasonable. Had they wanted way more than their damages we would have fought it and won. Probably without having to do much more than asking for a summary judgement.
__________________
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT

Last edited by CAcop; 10-17-2013 at 12:52..
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:52   #11
PBCounty
Senior Member
 
PBCounty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Palm Beach County, FL
Posts: 16,286
Send a message via AIM to PBCounty
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot550 View Post
I thought I read the boat company gave him a new one, but I guess that might have been wrong. And, why in the hell didn't the police/agency(ies) who shot up the boat reimburse him? Don't they have insurance, or whatever, for situations like this? When that ex-cop Dorner was on the run in CA and the police shot up those two old ladies in their truck, they were fully reimbursed with a replacement, although I do think I remember it was like pulling teeth for them.
Well, with the truck incident it was a screw-up. The boat incident, not a screw-up. The guy was a victim of circumstance...just like I wouldn't expect the police to buy me a new lawn mower if mine got stolen out of my shed. They were doing their jobs, not making a mistake.
__________________
Fleece it out, dinkin' flicka.

Last edited by PBCounty; 10-17-2013 at 12:53..
PBCounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 13:43   #12
M&P15T
Beard One
 
M&P15T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
He could auction parts of it on eBay and buy a new boat from the profits.
No......no he can't.
__________________
Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus (519 BC – 430 BC) Power should only be given to those that want it least.
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 14:12   #13
walt cowan
Senior Member
 
walt cowan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: absurdistan
Posts: 9,999
so all the the police and explosive dogs missed him and his brother at the finish line, then in a massive man hunt missed him again. not to mention all the nsa spy masters seem to not to care much about them even after the russians pointed them out. yeah, i feel safe:(
__________________
the nsa was the first to read this post. eric was the second.
walt cowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 14:20   #14
patriot550
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcop View Post
Interesting you should mention this. Three of our officers shot a suspect and a series of garages. Moving targets are hard to hit. We did not have a legal obligation to pay because we were not the responsible party. The dead dbag is. People just want money from the government because they have it and the dbags who cause the problems don't.
No, you damage my crap through no fault of my own and you're paying for it. No different than if someone defended their life with a firearm, even justified, and hit my car or something. I'm going after them.
patriot550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 14:23   #15
patriot550
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCounty View Post
Well, with the truck incident it was a screw-up.
Not according to a certain cop's so-called logic. He would say, in a "blame Bush" fashion, that the bad guy "made them do it", which is why they shot up the truck. I guess, with that so-called logic, in hot pursuit they can shoot up the streets, too, and not have to own up to it.

Quote:
The boat incident, not a screw-up. The guy was a victim of circumstance...just like I wouldn't expect the police to buy me a new lawn mower if mine got stolen out of my shed. They were doing their jobs, not making a mistake.
That comparison holds absolutely no water. The police shot the boat up. THEY damaged it. In your example, they didn't steal your lawn mower and had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Last edited by patriot550; 10-17-2013 at 14:26..
patriot550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 14:26   #16
PBCounty
Senior Member
 
PBCounty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Palm Beach County, FL
Posts: 16,286
Send a message via AIM to PBCounty
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot550 View Post
No, you damage my crap through no fault of my own and you're paying for it. No different than if someone defended their life with a firearm, even justified, and hit my car or something. I'm going after them.
What would be your take on a scenario where a burglar was arrested in your home and during the struggle some drywall got damaged and a coffee table broken?
__________________
Fleece it out, dinkin' flicka.
PBCounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 14:26   #17
steveksux
Massive Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 13,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcop View Post
Interesting you should mention this. Three of our officers shot a suspect and a series of garages. Moving targets are hard to hit. .
Very true.

But really, that sounds like pretty good shooting to me, depending on how fast the garages were moving and how many garages your guys missed...

Randy

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app
steveksux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 14:28   #18
patriot550
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCounty View Post
What would be your take on a scenario where a burglar was arrested in your home and during the struggle some drywall got damaged and a coffee table broken?
If the cost was great enough that I wasn't willing to cover it out of my pocket, then yup. Doesn't matter if I'd "win" or not, I'd still pursue it before making a homeowner's insurance claim.
patriot550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 14:29   #19
eb07
Sharkin'
 
eb07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Third Rock From the Sun
Posts: 2,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot550 View Post
No, you damage my crap through no fault of my own and you're paying for it. No different than if someone defended their life with a firearm, even justified, and hit my car or something. I'm going after them.

Incorrect, as numerous court cases have proven, your insurance or the perp's estate is liable. The Police are only liable if your property is damaged by their own negligence, not while they are in the act of doing their job to stop a threat. You can file a claim and hope they will give some compensation, but they are not civilly liable if it is not done out of negligence.
eb07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 14:30   #20
patriot550
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
The Police are only liable if your property is damaged by their own negligence
When is EXACTLY what happened when they shot up the two old ladies in their truck.
patriot550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 14:32   #21
eb07
Sharkin'
 
eb07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Third Rock From the Sun
Posts: 2,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot550 View Post
When is EXACTLY what happened when they shot up the two old ladies in their truck.

Correct, but not what happened when they shot up the towelie in the boat.
eb07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 14:33   #22
eb07
Sharkin'
 
eb07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Third Rock From the Sun
Posts: 2,020
FYI the women who got shot up got 4.2mil settlement and 40K for a new truck.
eb07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 14:35   #23
patriot550
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
Correct, but not what happened when they shot up the towelie in the boat.
I've been told that every bullet that leaves my gun potentially has a lawyer attached to it. Same should apply to "them", as well. If I shoot at a "bad guy" while defending my life and I miss and hit something or someone else, I'm responsible. Same should go for "them".

But, I've said my thoughts on the issue and will never agree with the "sympathizers", so...

Last edited by patriot550; 10-17-2013 at 14:38..
patriot550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 14:38   #24
eb07
Sharkin'
 
eb07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Third Rock From the Sun
Posts: 2,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot550 View Post
I've been told that every bullet that leaves my gun potentially has a lawyer attached to it. Same should apply to "them", as well. If I shoot at a "bad guy" while defending my life and I miss and hit something or someone else, I'm responsible. Same should go for "them".

Well the courts have decided that unless an LEO has been proven of gross negligence, they are not liable for damages incurred while doing their job.

So honestly you can argue it all day but it is on deaf ears.

Nationwide courts have sided with LE and not your argument, unless as you pointed out in the Dorner mistaken identity shooting.... gross negligence was committed. In which case full compensation as well as insurance settlements or lawsuits have played out.

The do not have to pay a dime. I am not sympathizing. Just presenting you with cold hard facts.

Last edited by eb07; 10-17-2013 at 14:39..
eb07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 14:39   #25
gwalchmai
Lucky Member
 
gwalchmai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Outside the perimeter
Posts: 44,121


Quote:
Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
He is lucky he didn't get shot. Seriously.
Is there any other way?
gwalchmai is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:45.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,332
379 Members
953 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42