Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-16-2013, 16:33   #21
Lockback
Polymerlicious!

I've had the itch for a Shield for awhile and a close buddy let me shoot his last weekend.
To say I was impressed would be an understatement.
Recoil management, trigger pull, fit and finish ... all impressed me mightily.
My one small niggle with Smiths has always been their insistence in using those damned roll pins.
But, wow, a really nice gun.
The Glock is much easier to field strip and detail strip. But aside from that relatively minor complaint, I was blown away by how good the Shield is, particularly at their price point ($379 at one LGS!)
Lockback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 16:56   #22
Bruce M

I think that S&W has been a bit surprised by the popularity of the Shield based on the tiem it takes to get one. Either that or they have had some very big orders for other pistols.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 20:37   #23
SouthernBoyVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
Now if S&W could resolve the accuracy issues with the 9mm M&P which is well known.
???

My M&P 9 Pro Series 4.25" shoots to point of aim just fine. Excellent gun with great practical accuracy.
Old 10-16-2013, 21:04   #24
blastfact

As a Glock & MP owner. I find both weapon systems to be great!
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 21:12   #25
Scott_See

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-w...-im-askin.html

Now this is interesting reading. Lots of praise for Glocks. Lots!
Scott_See is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:12   #26
JBP55

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
???

My M&P 9 Pro Series 4.25" shoots to point of aim just fine. Excellent gun with great practical accuracy.

The M&P accuracy issue is widely known in the gun industry and many left the platform due to his. It is not the same with every pistol and S&W has been aware of it for years. S&W came out with a different barrel which helped with some pistols but not all. Several barrel makers as well as Apex are trying to address the issue.
Some of the pistols shoot shotgun type groups at 25 yards and the same shooters can shoot 3" groups with other polymer pistols. Some will group with 147gr. but will not group with 115gr. or 124gr.
S&W has replaced quite a few barrels in these scatter guns.
The Pro series are not exempt from the scatter gun syndrome.
JBP55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:49   #27
plateshooter

I have an older 9mm M&P FS. I have had no accuracy issues with it. I did see a newer version that was a shotgun pattern shooter and that was apparent at 25 feet rather than 25 yards. The difference I saw between the two is on my gun when pressing back on the barrel slide assembly, the assembly would stay locked for a time before it unlocked. On the shotgun version, the slide would unlock the instant the slide moved rearward. The owner sent it back to S&W but I haven't heard what the results were. If I were buying another M&P, that would be one thing I would check for sure before I bought it.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:51   #28
bac1023

Quote:
The M&P accuracy issue is widely known in the gun industry and many left the platform due to his. It is not the same with every pistol and S&W has been aware of it for years. S&W came out with a different barrel which helped with some pistols but not all. Several barrel makers as well as Apex are trying to address the issue.
Some of the pistols shoot shotgun type groups at 25 yards and the same shooters can shoot 3" groups with other polymer pistols. Some will group with 147gr. but will not group with 115gr. or 124gr.
I don't own one (other than my Shield), but have heard many reports of inconsistent accuracy.

My Shield shoots fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:12   #29
SouthernBoyVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfact View Post
As a Glock & MP owner. I find both weapon systems to be great!
Me, too.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:16   #30
SouthernBoyVA

Quote:
Interesting. I have not heard of what you have posted about this issue. I have four centerfire M&P pistols and one rimfire; the great M&P 22. All are accurate and shoot to point of aim. I can consistently shoot tight groups at defensive distances with my M&P 9 Pro. Guess I just got lucky.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:39   #31
eaglefrq
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockback View Post
I've had the itch for a Shield for awhile and a close buddy let me shoot his last weekend.
To say I was impressed would be an understatement.
Recoil management, trigger pull, fit and finish ... all impressed me mightily.
My one small niggle with Smiths has always been their insistence in using those damned roll pins.
But, wow, a really nice gun.
The Glock is much easier to field strip and detail strip. But aside from that relatively minor complaint, I was blown away by how good the Shield is, particularly at their price point ($379 at one LGS!)
Not to derail the thread, but can the roll pins be swapped out with a standard pin?
Old 10-17-2013, 07:00   #32
JBP55

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
Interesting. I have not heard of what you have posted about this issue. I have four centerfire M&P pistols and one rimfire; the great M&P 22. All are accurate and shoot to point of aim. I can consistently shoot tight groups at defensive distances with my M&P 9 Pro. Guess I just got lucky.

Shoot a 10 shot group at 25 yards from a rest and post the results. The combat accuracy of the polymer pistols should be less than 4" at 25 yards with factory ammunition for a 10 shot group.
JBP55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:10   #33
Lockback
Polymerlicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglefrq View Post
Not to derail the thread, but can the roll pins be swapped out with a standard pin?
I honestly don't know.
I've never seen any offered.
I used to own several of the old S&W autos (a 4567 .45 and a 3913 9mm, among others) and they always seem to have used roll pins. They're fine, unless you need to detail strip the gun.
Lockback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:55   #34
Impreza

I do not have a full size m&p ...But love my 9c and g23...I think if I could only keep one though it would be the glock.
General Glocking
Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:12   #35
Glocks n' Crocs

All things considered, it's a great time to be a gun owner.

There is a guy on youtube whose opinions I greatly respect, reviewed the M&P as well as the Glock. Both guns are some of the best options out on the market.

The M&P

The Glock

Last edited by Glocks n' Crocs; 10-17-2013 at 10:13..
Glocks n' Crocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 17:23   #36
packinaglock
John 3:16 <><

I've got 10 Glocks and 4 S&W M&P's and the more I play with the M&P's the more I like them.
Old 10-18-2013, 17:26   #37
tonyparson

Quote:
Originally Posted by packinaglock View Post
I've got 10 Glocks and 4 S&W M&P's and the more I play with the M&P's the more I like them.
I Was just the opposite, the more I play with the M&P's the more I liked my Glocks.
Old 10-18-2013, 18:24   #38
packinaglock
John 3:16 <><

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyparson View Post
I Was just the opposite, the more I play with the M&P's the more I liked my Glocks.
I love my glocks! But I do enjoy the m&p pistols.
Old 10-18-2013, 19:58   #39
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVQ View Post
I wrote this email to some friends that wanted my opinion on the Glock vs M&P. I thought I would post it for your thoughts as well.

This is nothing more than my opinion so take it for what it it worth. So you know where I am coming from, my focus with regard to all my guns is long term durability and ultra reliability. I want guns I can count in in a zombie apocalypse. I don't particularly care if they are pretty. I attended an M&P armorer's course primarily because I wanted to learn how to detail strip and repair (should the need arise) my newly acquired S&W Shield 9mm. I have been VERY taken with the Shield, and that hasn't changed. I don't think there is a better single stack 9mm on the market as of this writing, though there are STRONG rumors that a Glock will introduce a single stack 9mm at next years shot show. Many of us have been wishing for that for years, if not decades, but I hear that Glock has moved production to the US, which makes the appearance of a slim 9mm more likely since import restrictions would no longer be a barrier. A Glock equivalent of the Shield would most assuredly be a "must have" for me. So here are my thoughts:

The M&P is basically a Glock, with the internal parts moved around. One of the consequences of moving the parts around is that it is somewhat more difficult to detail strip, but it has some positive aspects as well.

One area where I think the M&P is clearly superior to the Glock design is in the frame. The M&P frame is constructed of a similar polymer, but has stainless steel inserts to stiffen/strengthen the frame in critical areas. I own a 24 year old (low round count) Glock 19 that suffered a cracked frame for reasons unknown. I have wondered ever since whether or not that was just a bad batch of polymer, or the frame was subject to some unknown trauma(I had bought the gun used), or if polymer just becomes brittle with age, and therefore has a service life? I have no answers to those questions, but the added steel in the M&P frame is comforting to me.

The M&P also has a grip angle and (low) bore axis which I find to be outstanding. I also like the Glock grip angle and bore axis, and frankly I see little difference between them, but it seems a great many people despise the Glock grip angle. To me, its a wash between the two pistols. The (full size and compact) M&P comes with three interchangeable back straps. I know the Glock Gen 4 has interchangeable back-straps as well, though I have never handled one. I never had any serious issues with the Gen three frames, and in the M&P I am satisfied with the "medium" back-strap, so I suppose I am as average as average can be and either/or will do just fine. If the back strap is important to you then you will have to judge for yourself.

Another area where the M&P excels is the trigger. This appears to be a positive consequence of moving the parts around as I mentioned earlier. It seems to me that, the interplay between the connector and trigger bar on the Glock is inherently less smooth than the M&P system. Again, I am not an expert...just my opinion. The M&P trigger by contrast is outstanding, very smooth with a strong reset. On the flip side, and again, just my opinion, I think the Glock trigger system is more robust, especially with the NY1 trigger which I prefer. The NY1 trigger is virtually unbreakable and offers the most positive reset available which is something that is most valuable to me.

The M&P is available with or without a magazine disconnect, external safety, and key lock. I wouldn't want any of those features, but they are an option for those that are so disposed so I thought I would throw it out there.

In terms of the ease with which each respective pistol can be be detail stripped and repaired, Glock wins hands down. An orangutan can detail strip a Glock pistol. It's that easy. The M&P is an order of magnitude more difficult. That is not to say that it is difficult per se, just more so than a Glock.

All thinks considered, If I were looking for a full size or compact double stack pistol, I would stick with the Glock. All of the aforementioned in addition to parts availability makes it a winner. I never much cared for the stubby feel of the baby Glock which is why, for concealed carry, the slim 9mm Shield can't be beat. If Glock introduces a single stack 9mm...that may be a game changer (in my opinion.)
Agreed. I also await the introduction of a single-stack 9mm Glock.

Tags
glock, s&w m&p