Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-15-2013, 17:20   #1
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

The school people go to...

What are your reactions when you find out what University someone went to?

Are you ever some level of impressed, perhaps with certain schools?

Do you ever, on some level, feel negative?

How do you feel if they went to your school?

Are you ever surprised? I.E. Huh, I wouldnt have thought they went there...(that can cut both ways)

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 17:31   #2
G30SF/F-250
Platinum Membership
GTDS

I am a high school dropout.

I just designed and built a piece of equipment that the company I work for is getting a paten on.

The company has engineers, they just need them to back up what I say.

No, someone's education from a school does not impress me.

He said been busy keeping the kids and wife happy, did you miss that? Probably time for you to turn off pretty woman and wipe the ********* tears from your eyes, you might be able to read better ahole.
By AJ
G30SF/F-250 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 17:42   #3
Ridgeway

Send a message via AIM to Ridgeway
Where one went to law school is pretty important in my field.
Ridgeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 17:44   #4
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

The only guy that ever impressed me did a JD and MBA at Harvard. . . Simultaneously.

He has a hard time relating to people vs. books.
Old 10-15-2013, 17:45   #5
Atlas
transmogrifier

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY

Last edited by Atlas; 10-15-2013 at 19:04..
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 17:46   #6
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by G30SF/F-250 View Post
I am a high school dropout.

I just designed and built a piece of equipment that the company I work for is getting a paten on.

The company has engineers, they just need them to back up what I say.

No, someone's education from a school does not impress me.

That is not how it works. You are getting a patent. They are the assignee.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Old 10-15-2013, 18:01   #7
Vince49
Warwagon11

No. They are for the most part like the people that wrote this software program that would not let me post my original reply (which was simply No.) because it did not contain at least five characters.

PS: Frequently a simple yes or no is the best answer,after all you did not ask how to build the site.

Last edited by Vince49; 10-15-2013 at 18:04..
Vince49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 18:06   #8
Atlas
transmogrifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince49 View Post
No. They are for the most part like the people that wrote this software program that would not let me post my original reply (which was simply No.) because it did not contain at least five characters.

PS: Frequently a simple yes or no is the best answer,after all you did not ask how to build the site.
Someone made a conscious deliberate decision that this site will accept no post of less than 5 characters..

This is a parameter that is set according to the desire of the owner (Eric).

It isn't just some mistake made by the programmer.

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY

Last edited by Atlas; 10-15-2013 at 18:08..
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 18:08   #9
Singlemalt
In the rough

I remember finishing undergrad from NC State in Mechanical Engineering and any firm my resume landed interviews were a given. There are some really reputable engineering firms around here and engineers from NC State got much preferential treatment on getting in the door.

Law school degrees from prestigious institutions I feel do matter. It shows a willingness and skill to graduate from those universities, and top of the class is icing on the cake.

MBA's as well. Having many friends in IB I have seen the full impacts of having a top 10 MBA versus the others. It matters substantially in those circles and carries weight (aka currency).

I do think those that obtain degrees from higher institutions you do tend to consider they should be rather intelligent, at least in their chosen endeavor. While this is often the case it doesn't guarantee the social skills that one needs (networking, etc). In many of those degrees they are difficult to obtain, not just a walk in the park.

I do think that if you see a profile of Harvard Business School MBA's many have a huge record of successes and outbreaks and it does have some attributes to the academic foundation they laid down.

Meant to add. How do you feel if you meet someone who graduated from your school? I think like many things you by default will show preference towards them as you share a common completed goal in your lives. If an MBA meets another MBA and they are both from HBS then they know the sig class load and studies that person put in to obtain that same degree they have in common. This is not just applicable to school but any scenario of our lives that we have experienced and then you meet another person sharing the same or very familiar experience.

Last edited by Singlemalt; 10-15-2013 at 18:12..
Singlemalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 18:17   #10
Bruce M

I would be substantially impressed with someone who had a degree from MIT unless perhaps it was in liberal arts.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 18:26   #11
sombunya

My sister-un-law went to UC Santa Cruz and earned a Ph.D. in one of the fields of Anthropology. She is a Mexican National who comes from a rather well to do family.

UC Santa Cruz, Angela Davis was one of her professors and in general Universities are more left-wing indoctrination centers than they are learning centers, you can imagine what her politics are like.

To answer your questions:

1. Depends. My pal graduated Cum Laude from USC. Put himself through. I'm impressed. My sis-in-law? Chemistry or engineering degree would wow me much more.

2. Although there's much to be said about some schools of course, what a person does afterward impresses (or does not) me more than the school. An aquaintence of mine, Ph.D. in Biological Chemistry, has sold a cancer treatment patent to a large pharmaceutical company and is on the verge of becoming very wealthy in the process. Cheers to him.

3. Sometimes. My ex-bosses brother skipped to Canada during the Viet-Nam war and earned a Ph.D. in Anthropology. No room here to elaborate but let's say there's no warm fuzzy feelings.

4. Didn't go to College. I'm just a working stiff who learned a valuable skill and does okay.

5. To tell the truth I don't really think about it and don't know too many highly educated people. Just a few,

http://www.hopeforpaws.org
sombunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 18:31   #12
robin303
Helicopter Nut

I was really impressed with several people in which I served with that were West Point Grads. Did work on three homes for a AMD Exe and found out he went to USAF Academy. Met a few that went to MIT. Yes Iím impressed. Met a lot of people that are grads from UT and donít care.
Old 10-15-2013, 18:56   #13
jakebrake
cracker

I've met far too many ivy leaguers that are just downright stupid.

I've known high school droputs that had to work to help keep their families going that could split the atom at a red light.

I worked for a company started by a man that couldn't read. he passed on as a very wealthy man.

true knowledge and wisdom don't come from an overpriced degree.
21 clubmember #629 freemasons clubmember # 57
Kalashnikov klub member # 413 black rifle club # 830
The road to Hell is paved with good intent
jakebrake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 19:08   #14
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebrake View Post
I've met far too many ivy leaguers that are just downright stupid.

I've known high school droputs that had to work to help keep their families going that could split the atom at a red light.

I worked for a company started by a man that couldn't read. he passed on as a very wealthy man.

true knowledge and wisdom don't come from an overpriced degree.
I have experienced those things as well....but it flat out isnt the norm. You didnt answer the question. You just pointed out exceptions.

Old 10-15-2013, 19:14   #15
mknpwr

I've known and worked with several engineers in the last 15 years, only one has impressed me. One of the most impressive people I've met and worked with was a SEAL in Hawai'i. Rhodes Scholar, advanced degree in mathematics, great guy to work with, definitely would not want to be on the receiving end of an *** kicking he could dish out either.

Where I work now, Clemson grads are all over, not one of them impresses me. Are they smart, yup, smarter than me, have the sheepskin on the wall and no common sense. Are they all like that, probably not but I haven't met one yet.

Sent from my rotary dial phone
mknpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 19:18   #16
HollowHead
Firm member

I'm really only wary of those who went to UC/Berkely, Brown and BYU. HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 19:18   #17
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

I am not asking if the people impress you. Just how you feel about the credential.

When you find out someone went to an Ivy...how does that make you feel?

When you find out someone went to Online U...How does that make you feel?

When you meet an alumni of your school, how does that make you feel?

Old 10-15-2013, 19:23   #18
airmotive
Tin Kicker

I am the only white guy I know who has graduated from two HBCUs.

I surprise myself when neither of my schools make it into March madness.

That said...one school (Norfolk State) I don't tell anyone I went to.
The other (Hampton University), I am proud to call my Alma.

(speaking of which...whatever happened to Drew?)

Last edited by airmotive; 10-15-2013 at 19:26..
airmotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 19:24   #19
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
I am not asking if the people impress you. Just how you feel about the credential.

The above only matter if they're treating me in the ER or defending me in court. HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 19:26   #20
devildog2067

Having now spent a fairly significant amount of time on the campuses of several target schools (my firm does a lot of on-campus recruiting) the first thing I feel is always hope... as in "I hope this person knows somewhere cool to eat near Harvard/Wharton/Ross/wherever"

I went to an obscure, utterly forgettable undergraduate institution (Northeastern Illinois University, go eagles) and the one time I met someone professionally who had also gone there we chatted for quite a while about it.
devildog2067 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 19:27   #21
professorpinki
Bumbling idjit

Alumni of my school, depends on their class year.

If they were in my class, I know them. I have my own personal opinion already.

If they weren't I'll keep in mind their class's reputation as I meet them, and I probably still know someone they know, and I'm happy to have met someone who experienced a similar lifestyle. Same for our rival school, although there's an added element of one-upsmanship. Small schools full of pride, and justly so.

Other schools, well, it depends more on your course load and your individual work put in while there.
professorpinki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 19:27   #22
Haldor
Retired EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknpwr View Post
Where I work now, Clemson grads are all over, not one of them impresses me. Are they smart, yup, smarter than me, have the sheepskin on the wall and no common sense. Are they all like that, probably not but I haven't met one yet.
Funny you should mention that. I am and engineer and worked in Spartanburg SC for many years. We had a standing joke.

What does a Clemson grad call a Georgia Tech grad?

Boss.

I am pretty impressed with engineers I have known and worked with from both Georgia Tech and Stanford. I had a prof who got his BSEE from MIT, he was also a very sharp person.

In my opinion Georgia Tech, Stanford and MIT are the top tier engineering schools in the US (specifically for an EE).

I have known two people with Harvard MBA's, neither of them were particularly great. One of them in particular drove his business unit into the ground because he was too arrogant to realize there was anything he didn't know.
Guys! Guys! He's down! Stop kicking him! If he shows up on another thread, Tasers are indicated, but for now, let him slink off into the shadows to lick his wounds and ponder how deeply cool and misunderstood he is!
Hoot nred Mrs. Vr.

Last edited by Haldor; 10-15-2013 at 19:31..
Haldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 19:29   #23
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
Having now spent a fairly significant amount of time on the campuses of several target schools (my firm does a lot of on-campus recruiting) the first thing I feel is always hope... as in "I hope this person knows somewhere cool to eat near Harvard/Wharton/Ross/wherever"

I went to an obscure, utterly forgettable undergraduate institution (Northeastern Illinois University, go eagles) and the one time I met someone professionally who had also gone there we chatted for quite a while about it.
Next time you are at Harvard, if you have not yet, Mr Bartleys. The food is fair but the menu will make you laugh for 20 minutes.

Old 10-15-2013, 19:29   #24
mknpwr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post

The credentials impress me when the one with the degree can function outside the academic environment. Just because you graduated from x, y or z. No but I'm not the one doing the hiring.

Sent from my rotary dial phone
mknpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 19:33   #25
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership

Credentials alone does not impress me.

The person and who they are, what they can do and have done, is what has meaning.

The school they've gone to means nothing to me. However, if someone truly impresses me I might give the school they went to some credit, but the opposite is not true. I will not give someone credit just because they went to a particular school.

Last edited by OldSchool64; 10-15-2013 at 19:34..
OldSchool64 is offline   Reply With Quote