Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:14   #21
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership
®

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
Oh yeah!

I quit the bar scene a few years ago, but sure miss the fluzzies!
OldSchool64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:17   #22
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless28 View Post
I looked for an old thread that had some interesting discussion on not drinking alcohol, but it was an old one.

That being said, who here doesn't drink alcohol?

Any particular reason(s) why?
When I was 18 to 22 I drank at booby bars and drank socially. But I almost died from alcohol poisoning one night after drinking some moonshine so I stopped. I may drink a beer one time a year but that is not usual..most of the time nothing at all in the way of spirits. My old man was also an alcoholic who drank all the time so maybe it is best I don't drink.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool songs:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool car:
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:32   #23
jtmac
Señor Member

Send a message via AIM to jtmac Send a message via Yahoo to jtmac

I don't have a problem with alcohol, but I don't drink.

For a long time, I did not drink due to obligation. Knowing that I might later be in situations where I might be obliged in the other way, I determined to make sure I understood its effects. As it turns out, alcohol does nothing for me. Not simply meaning that I don't think it's worth it; whatever positive effects other people experience with alcohol are not things I experience with alcohol. And, as a bonus, I'm a "supertaster", so just about any alcoholic beverage--but especially wine and beer--taste absolutely terrible, and not in any way a person could develop a taste for.

For me, it's just burning and awful flavor for the benefit of feeling mildly ill. You guys enjoy it on my behalf, because I can't.

Last edited by jtmac; 10-12-2013 at 11:33..
jtmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:34   #24
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership
®

Quote:
Originally Posted by G30SF/F-250 View Post
I don't drink anymore.......
May I suggest that you complete that statement?

Ya mean something like...

"don't drink anymore since the last one and until the next one" The Okie Corral
Old 10-12-2013, 11:50   #25
Diesel_Bomber

I don't. Cough medicine and any alcohol left in certain foods after cooking are all I've ever had.

I don't plan on changing this.

Forgot to add why:

My parents made pretty poor choices with substances when my brother and I were growing up. My brother followed their path and it contributed heavily to his early death. Addiction runs in my family. I'm confident I have the self control to avoid this, I'm just disgusted with the idea of intentionally reducing my ability to think or function. The reason anyone would do this is beyond my comprehension. Several people have told me I'd be a nasty mean drunk. And lastly, every single person I've talked to has said that if I haven't drank by now - don't.

Lots of good reasons for me to avoid it.

Last edited by Diesel_Bomber; 10-12-2013 at 12:16..
Diesel_Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:58   #26
PaLEOjd

No alcohol for me, I just choose not to drink. I don't like the taste of beer and can't stand the smell of it.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:00   #27
clancy

I stopped drinking about 2 years ago, for no other reason than I was involved in a nasty child custody battle for my son, that I won, by the way. My ex hit me with 4 separate child abuse charges in 4 months, ranging from beating him to sexually abusing him. All proven false. Combine that with 18 separate visits from the NYS Troopers in 1 year for welfare checks for my son that my ex called them on to intimidate me, and you can see why I would want to be able to answer my door without alcohol on my breath.
clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:03   #28
jakebrake
cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy View Post
I stopped drinking about 2 years ago, for no other reason than I was involved in a nasty child custody battle for my son, that I won, by the way. My ex hit me with 4 separate child abuse charges in 4 months, ranging from beating him to sexually abusing him. All proven false. Combine that with 18 separate visits from the NYS Troopers in 1 year for welfare checks for my son that my ex called them on to intimidate me, and you can see why I would want to be able to answer my door without alcohol on my breath.
and, there friends and neighbors, is true wisdom.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:04   #29
19sandyman

I do not drink. Why? I believe it is foolish to ingest mind altering substances.

Beer companies spend millions trying trying to make us believe supermodels will magically appear if you "pop a top". But a pair of crosses on a road side near my home where a drunk driver killed a man's wife and only child is sadly the more likely result.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
19sandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:07   #30
rauldduke1979

A very occasional glass of wine, which I would rarely finish (with a nice diner, typically). Otherwise, no thanks. A long time ago I decided that there were enough alcoholics in my family so I broke the cycle.

When someone offers me drink I say "Allah forbids it". That usually shuts everybody up.
rauldduke1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:13   #31
TheJ
Lifetime Membership
NRA Life Member

I just don't think generally alcoholic drinks are a positive. I don't like degrading my faculties. It just doesn't seem to be a generally logical or particularly smart thing to do. Since I perceive no substantial positive for drinking alcohol, I don't generally drink at all. That said, I would sip a toast if not doing so would make a social situation awkward (like at a wedding, etc.)... I'm not anti-alcohol.

I don't see anything wrong with other people drinking responsibly. I don't look down on those who do. Just not something I care to do personally.

The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -F. Scott Fitzgerald
TheJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:13   #32
MtBaldy
Obie Wan, RIP

Well, I know for dam sure I'm not drinking today. No promises for tomorrow.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:19   #33
JBnTX
God Bless Texas

I quit two years ago for health reasons.
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:30   #34
HollowHead
Firm member

I don't drink alcohol, but I do enjoy beverages that contain it. HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:30   #35
nursetim

Very rarely. A bottle of my proison will last me years. I like to do too many things that don't agree with the stuff.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:31   #36
M2 Carbine

I don't.

I have a couple different brands of Beer in my refrigerator for a couple lady friends that come over to shoot.

I even tried a couple Beers a couple months ago.
Then I remembered why I don't drink, I just don't like it, never have.
Beer tastes like what I imagine Pee would taste like.

Even as a young Marine I'd drink a little once in a while to be one of the boys but never seen anything in it.
The Okie Corral
M2 Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:40   #37
Mr Spock
Vulcan

Used to socially/occasionally years ago. Saw too many alcoholics and addiction issues in my family and realized I probably have a genetic weakness for that sort of thing. Gave it up. Just decided one day that I wouldn't drink and that was that. . Don't drink, smoke, gamble, or use drugs. I have kids and don't want them to end up like me looking at my parents/other relatives. Also, my father sent himself to his death in his 50s from drugs and alcohol, but that was after I had stopped. That was more motivation to never drink again.
Mr Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:43   #38
G30SF/F-250
Platinum Membership
GTDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool64 View Post
May I suggest that you complete that statement?

Ya mean something like...

"don't drink anymore since the last one and until the next one" The Okie Corral
.......or any less than usual.

I just opened a beer.....and I am at work!

I must have a real problem (according to some here).

He said been busy keeping the kids and wife happy, did you miss that? Probably time for you to turn off pretty woman and wipe the f***** tears from your eyes, you might be able to read better ahole.
By AJ
G30SF/F-250 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:48   #39
GeorgiaGlocker
Incirlik AB

I choose not to drink as well.
Old 10-12-2013, 13:09   #40
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership
®

Quote:
I don't drink anymore.......
Quote:
.......or any less than usual.
Wonder if anyone's ever said that at AA?

The Okie Corral

Tags
broken logic, definitely not certified, drinking =/= alcoholism, like watching paint dry, not gtds certified.