Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:01   #1
Freddie E

Accidental Discharge

I was wanting to know how many has ever had a discharge on their Glock before they were ready. I mean by actually pulling the trigger, catching the trigger on something, or having a part in the gun break (from manufacturer defect) or any other way you can think of. I just wonder how safe the "safe action" trigger really is?

Freddie E
Freddie E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:06   #2
AK47Man
Expert Marksman

I own seven Glocks...Not one of them has had an accidental discharge..I would say about 99.99% of the other Glockers here would say the same thing...
Ruger LCP Ruger Mark III 22/45
Ruger 10/22 Stainless Henry 22Mag Frontier Octagon
AK47Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:19   #3
Lowjiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie E View Post
I was wanting to know how many has ever had a discharge on their Glock before they were ready.
Not me. Thank G'lock.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

Last edited by Lowjiber; 09-23-2013 at 05:19..
Lowjiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:59   #4
1-2man
Part Time

Nope.
1-2man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:13   #5
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie E View Post
I was wanting to know how many has ever had a discharge on their Glock before they were ready. I mean by actually pulling the trigger, catching the trigger on something, or having a part in the gun break (from manufacturer defect) or any other way you can think of. I just wonder how safe the "safe action" trigger really is?

Freddie E
Glocks have 3 safeties.

If the trigger isn't pulled, it won't fire.

Don't do anything you shouldn't internally, use a proper holster that covers and protects the trigger/trigger guard, and follow rule #3.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 09-23-2013 at 06:14..
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:39   #6
icelandicstud

not yet.
icelandicstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:22   #7
MNBud

Ain't going to happen!!!!!!!!!

Sub club #622
Certified Glock armorer
MNBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:31   #8
TxGlock9

my pistols never had accidentally discharges, although I have had negligent discharges. me not the gun.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:40   #9
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

Not a single one.

The Glocks simply cannot fire unless that trigger is pulled. It is your job to make sure the trigger only gets pulled when desired, and, as a poster above mentioned, keeping your gun in a proper trigger is key.

If you keep your gun in a holster, the trigger won't be accessible to any foreign objects (or your finger) and thus cannot be pulled. Practice drawing and holstering it, unloaded, until those become routine. I suspect a lot of the problems people encounter are when they are either re-holstering, or (foolishly) carrying without a holster.
Louisville Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:46   #10
grizz

None for me.

Of the things you listed:
Pulling the trigger - Has nothing to do with Glock and any gun will discharge when you pull the trigger (at least it should).
Catching the trigger on something - Also has nothing to do with Glock and any gun can discharge if you catch the trigger on something. Glock and other guns with trigger safeties are actually more safe in this respect than some other guns because the trigger safety has to be manipulated to pull the trigger.
Having a part in the gun break - Also has nothing to do with Glock, is extremely unlikely, and can happen with any gun.

Of the accidental/negligent discharges I've seen, they were all cases of the shooter pulling the trigger and only one was a Glock. The others were a Sig, a 1911, and a HK USP (the HK came very close to getting me).
grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:14   #11
Clusterfrack

Never.

Holstering a Glock type gun requires special care, and I'm glad to see this topic get raised every so often.

I carry in high quality holsters, and verify that the holster is clear of obstructions before holstering. I remove dangling cords from the right side of my jackets. I also slide the gun in slowly--especially in my AIWB rig. Lastly, I make sure that the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction as the gun goes into the holster. This requires tipping my hips forward for the appendix holster.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:28   #12
SCmasterblaster

Glock 17 owner since 1989. Thousands of rounds, no ADs.

Last edited by SCmasterblaster; 10-18-2013 at 19:33..
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:50   #13
attrapereves

Nope.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:34   #14
SJ 40

If one keeps ones bugger hook off of the Go button or foreign object a Glock won't discharge on it's own same as any double action revolver. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:39   #15
Clusterfrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ 40 View Post
If one keeps ones bugger hook off of the Go button or foreign object a Glock won't discharge on it's own same as any double action revolver. SJ 40
SJ--I agree about the finger, but Glocks require more care than a DA revolver. For example, you can't feel the hammer start to move when you holster if something's pushing on the trigger. Also, trigger weight and length of pull is much shorter. A wheel gun in a pocket is unlikely to fire, but I would never carry a C1 Glock unless it was in a stiff holster that completely covers the trigger.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:01   #16
SJ 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
SJ--I agree about the finger, but Glocks require more care than a DA revolver. For example, you can't feel the hammer start to move when you holster if something's pushing on the trigger. Also, trigger weight and length of pull is much shorter. A wheel gun in a pocket is unlikely to fire, but I would never carry a C1 Glock unless it was in a stiff holster that completely covers the trigger.
Agreed,I was using the comparison to a revolver in a general sense.
There is No way I would carry a Glock in any other manner than a covered trigger holster,and I've never felt the need to put a Glock in my pocket. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:17   #17
Bruce M

I agree that for a Glock or for many/most other handguns to fire, the trigger needs to be pulled somehow, whether it is intentionally, accidentally, or negligently.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.

Last edited by Bruce M; 09-23-2013 at 11:17..
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:39   #18
fuzzy03cls

A Glock is no less safe then any other gun. You pull trigger it goes bang. A part fails inside that allows the firing pin to hit the chambered round it goes off.
The only thing that needs attention is the owners training level. A Glock DOES need to be paid more attention to because there is not external safety to put on or off. That means, re-holstering, & carry that requires the trigger to be covered.
I think I have read 3 total of AD's that have happened because a Glock part was defective.
fuzzy03cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:46   #19
njl

You people aren't reading the question. Shooting from reset, especially with lightened triggers, I've had multiple instances when my Glocks have fired before I was ready (because I pulled the trigger). I.e. a planned shot is fired. The trigger is held back. After the shot, the trigger is slowly allowed forward just far enough to reset. At this point, just a little too much pressure on the trigger and the gun will fire. I even had this happen at a GSSF match once. I hadn't reacquired a sight picture, broke the shot and was worried I might have a miss. It still ended up in the A/B zone.

This sort of thing is making me wonder if I should go back to 5lb connectors with their much crisper break than Glock's 3.5lb part.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 09-23-2013, 11:56   #20
LSP552
Glockdriver

Mechanically, Glocks are no less safe than any other quality firearm. However, they are reasonably unforgiving of mistakes. The relatively light and short trigger movement before the loud noise doesn't provide as much warning as some other systems, such as a DA/SA auto. If you put your finger on the trigger under stress, reholstering, etc, it will go bang, just like a DA/SA that hasn't been decocked.

Most NDs I'm personally aware of came from a deliberate trigger pull. The mistakes were thinking the gun was unloaded and more than one came from reversing the unloading sequence (cycle slide then drop the mag).

I've seen, and investigated, NDs from just about every common law enforcement weapon system ranging from DA revolvers to ARs. It was never the fault of the weapon, always the user.

Ken