Home Forums Classifieds GT Store Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-03-2015, 20:07   #1
railfancwb

What happens if you don't pay the tax for not having medical insurance?

According to this article, apparently nothing unless you were anticipating a refund which IRS might seize.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphi...+for+Forbes%29

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 03-03-2015, 20:16   #2
Solid98

Quote:
Originally Posted by railfancwb View Post
What happens if you don't pay the tax for not having medical insurance?
They send someone to break your legs.
Solid98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 20:26   #3
HiddenEyes
It can be done

Ultimately they save money by shooting you.

Mr. HE

Moi Нет sprechen español
HiddenEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 20:43   #4
John Rambo
Raven

Correct. If you always underpay the IRS, like you should, its never a problem. You just send in your payment, less the penalty (I don't believe its technically a tax), and you're done.

Last edited by John Rambo; 03-03-2015 at 20:44..
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 22:39   #5
peng

The answer - like every other answer I have gotten from 2 professional tax attorneys on the subject - is that nobody has a clue, but everyone has opinions.

We will learn much more after tax season is over I would guess.
Old 03-03-2015, 22:48   #6
DanaT
Pharaoh

Well, nothing could happen, you could get a sternly worded letter, you could get thrown in the slammer, you could get killed when being arrested for not paying a tax. It seems that all of the above have occurred to people not paying a tax.
I never agreed to be
Your holy one
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 23:56   #7
THEPOPE
Nibb

WHY oh, why do you suppose they tied it to the single most ruthless collection agency the world has ever seen ?
17 thousand NEW employees is how.
The only job market doing worth a crap is the government .

the Pope with most....Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.
THEPOPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:48   #8
LoadToadBoss
IYAAYWOT

What is unclear is if the IRS can attach interest to the unpaid shared responsibility payment. While the law may currently prohibit traditional collection enforcement action with regard to the penalty, I believe it's silent regarding the accrued interest. It could very well be that the IRS could take collection action for the interest portion.

Right now, I don't believe the IRS computers can tell the difference between a underpaid tax balance and the shared responsibility payment. To the computer, it's all the same. I suspect that balance due collection notices will still be mailed forcing taxpayers to contact the IRS or hire a professional (like me) to deal with them. Someone will end up paying me an equivalent amount of money to keep the IRS off their back.

"Government cannot deny its citizens a right on the off chance that right might be abused." --Unknown
LoadToadBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 13:16   #9
mgs
Always Carrying

That is correct! Always pays to owe a bit .
mgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 14:43   #10
wjv

They will send a threatening message to Vladimir Putin from your email account. . .

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 18:50   #11
cimpala

I was honest and I paid over $200

For not having health insurance for three months last year..... What an idiot.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps. Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
cimpala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 19:03   #12
MaxxAction

Why doesn't EVERYONE just tell them to **** off?
Old Yesterday, 19:29   #13
uhlawpup
Gentle Soul

Send a message via Yahoo to uhlawpup
Don't pay the IRS? They take everything. Everything.

Ever see an IRS asset seizure? I have. A US Marshal showed up with a court order and a moving van and crew and took everything out of the recording studio below the radio station where I worked. They even took the potted plants. And the office supplies. The paper towels. Everything. They even tried to take one of our tape recorders, but I had a receipt to show it belonged to the station.

So, go ahead and don't pay them what you owe. And borrow a computer later and come tell us how it worked out for you.

CRUX SANCTA SIT MIHI LUX
NUNQUAM DRACO SIT MIHI DUX
uhlawpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 20:19   #14
oneofthose

Quote:
Originally Posted by railfancwb View Post
According to this article, apparently nothing unless you were anticipating a refund which IRS might seize.
Here's the thing..... a HUGE portion of those people qualify for the earned income tax credit, which means their refund is MORE than they paid in anyway. Those people will still get something back, just not as much.

Basically, they're paying the fine with money they never earned anyway!!!!!!!!!! Do you think they're going to complain?

Hell no! They're going to go buy the 42" instead of the 60".
Old Yesterday, 20:24   #15
RenegadeGlocker

I have a few deadbeat relatives who owe IRS. One owes $1.2M. None pay, IRS does nothing. It seems to me as long as you do not file false returns, nothing happens except an occasional demand/reminder letter of how much you owe.

The $1.2M relative has owed since 1995.
RenegadeGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 21:03   #16
dac1204

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofthose View Post
Here's the thing..... a HUGE portion of those people qualify for the earned income tax credit, which means their refund is MORE than they paid in anyway. Those people will still get something back, just not as much.

Basically, they're paying the fine with money they never earned anyway!!!!!!!!!! Do you think they're going to complain?

Hell no! They're going to go buy the 42" instead of the 60".

I stated the same thing in another thread and a posted couldn't believe what I was talking about. People who have to pay taxes usually have insurance as they deem it to be nessccary. If you can't afford it then you can get an exemption and if you got a refund then most likely you didn't "really" pay the shared tax to begin with.
dac1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 21:06   #17
dac1204

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeGlocker View Post
I have a few deadbeat relatives who owe IRS. One owes $1.2M. None pay, IRS does nothing. It seems to me as long as you do not file false returns, nothing happens except an occasional demand/reminder letter of how much you owe.

The $1.2M relative has owed since 1995.
If he owes because of businesses which is most likely what happened and he nothing to take then what can they do other then put him in jail. They don't want to do that. They just take your refunds for the rest of you life if ever get them.
dac1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 21:51   #18
oneofthose

Quote:
Originally Posted by dac1204 View Post
I stated the same thing in another thread and a posted couldn't believe what I was talking about. People who have to pay taxes usually have insurance as they deem it to be nessccary. If you can't afford it then you can get an exemption and if you got a refund then most likely you didn't "really" pay the shared tax to begin with.
You are absolutely correct. It amazes me the people that complain about taxes, but don't really pay taxes, other than sales tax, which might actually be the fairest tax there is.

In full disclosure, I qualify for the earned income tax credit, as does most of the Military, but I didn't always. I have vivid memories of the infamous "alternative minimum tax". For those who don't know what it is, look it up. We used to pay more in taxes than I make now.

Anyway, I came to the Military late in life, with a family, and we have absolutely no regrets. That said, I will not apologize for the benefits my family receives. They've sacrificed more than the benefits are worth, but understand the value of freedom and liberty are immeasurable. Most people wouldn't know that a Sergeant in the United States Army, married with two kids, is probably eligible for food stamps and WIC.

All that to say this: If you love this Country, and you love your FREDOM and LIBERTY, then PAY ATTENTION.

There is much at stake.

Last edited by oneofthose; Yesterday at 22:18..
oneofthose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 22:14   #19
RenegadeGlocker

Quote:
If he owes because of businesses which is most likely what happened and he nothing to take then what can they do other then put him in jail. They don't want to do that. They just take your refunds for the rest of you life if ever get them.
Not what "most likely happened", but yes that is my point. You do not pay, you do not go to jail as long as you file proper returns.
RenegadeGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 23:39   #20
railfancwb

Quote:
In some ways like liability insurance when a person owns a car. If that is all you own, why bother? License suspended for failure to meet financial responsibility requirement? Buy minimum required coverage for minimum required time and don't renew. Or just drive without the license.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire