Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old Yesterday, 18:54   #1
wrx04

Do you use rain-x (or a similar product)?

Are there any downsides to using one of these nano-coatings? Ive used rain-x a couple times in the past and it seems to work pretty darn good. With winter approaching, i was thinking about new wiper blades and window treatments for both our cars.

Ive heard rain-x brand may cause the wipers to streak, and it needs to be reapplied often. Any other downsides? I dont mind having to reapply it every couple months if thats its biggest downfall.

What is the best product out there? Ive heard aquapel is a good one too.
wrx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 18:59   #2
Qman2

I use the Rain-x windshield wiper fluid and have no streaking issues.
Qman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 19:00   #3
Diesel_Bomber

I don't like Rain-X on the windshield, though other windows are fine. It leaves a brief milky haze on the glass after every pass of the wipers, drives me nuts and is particularly hazardous at night with oncoming traffic and bright lights. One of the teens I have do work for me put it on my windshield when he washed my truck, couldn't find anything that would take it off and wound up having the windshield replaced.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Diesel_Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 19:03   #4
paul45
old crank

I use Turtle Wax Ice, the clear synthetic stuff. Works great on the entire car...rubber, plastic, glass, and paint.
paul45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 19:05   #5
The_Dan
was Dan_ntx

I use Aquapel... Same idea different company. I ran a window tint shop forever ago and was given a huge box of preloaded applicators. Since it lasts 3-6 months between coatings I still have lots of it.

I haven't turned my wipers on (other than to wash the windshield) in years. Nothing sticks to it.
The_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 19:10   #6
MooseJaw
CLM Number 37
NRA Lifer

The windshield on my ML430 was designed by Germans.. or maybe it was Chuck Connors..

The water just beads up and runs up towards the roof..
MooseJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 19:15   #7
Huaco Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Bomber View Post
I don't like Rain-X on the windshield, though other windows are fine. It leaves a brief milky haze on the glass after every pass of the wipers, drives me nuts and is particularly hazardous at night with oncoming traffic and bright lights.
Whatever the crap is they put on rental car windshields makes the wipers almost unusable. It won't come off, no matter how long you run them.
Huaco Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 19:15   #8
czsmithGT

I use it. It works OK.

The key to getting it on so it works without fogging or streaking is to do a very thorough job of cleaning the windshield before applying. After the normal washing going over the windshield with Windex followed by a cloth damp with ethyl alcohol helps.

When the windshield is clean and dry, apply Rain-X with a microfiber cloth (I use the Rain-X in the spray bottle and spray the Rain-X onto the cloth, not the windshield), when dry wipe with a slightly damp towel. A second application won't be a bad idea.

Should last for at least a month maybe two before the need to reapply.
czsmithGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 19:44   #9
Adjuster

I also use the Rain X windshield washer fluid. Gets applied to the glass whenever you want it to. Works great.

/
Adjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 19:48   #10
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
I also use the Rain X windshield washer fluid. Gets applied to the glass whenever you want it to. Works great.

/
Yep me too. I use both.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Short Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 20:22   #11
VA27

As long as you DON'T use the wipers it works fine. Other than that I hate the stuff!

The NRA is my union.
VA27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 20:23   #12
Caver 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by czsmithGT View Post
I use it. It works OK.

The key to getting it on so it works without fogging or streaking is to do a very thorough job of cleaning the windshield before applying. After the normal washing going over the windshield with Windex followed by a cloth damp with ethyl alcohol helps.

When the windshield is clean and dry, apply Rain-X with a microfiber cloth (I use the Rain-X in the spray bottle and spray the Rain-X onto the cloth, not the windshield), when dry wipe with a slightly damp towel. A second application won't be a bad idea.

Should last for at least a month maybe two before the need to reapply.
Agree: The key is a CLEAN windshield to start with.

Use Invisible Glass to clean the windshield. Invisible Glass beats Windex all hollow. I learned about Invisible Glass from a professional windshield installer. Just follow the directions. It's available at WM in the automotive department in either an aerosol spray or a pump bottle.

Then I use the Rain-X windshield washer fluid.
Caver 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 20:27   #13
TransAm-98

Rain-x is pretty nice while it lasts. In the passed when used on a car with a very raked front windshield I rarely had to touch my wipers. Never got any streaking when I used the wipers though.

Last edited by TransAm-98; Yesterday at 20:27..
TransAm-98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 20:34   #14
M2 Carbine

When I used to be on the road a lot I used Rain X. I thought it was great.
M2 Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 20:42   #15
stevelyn
NRA Life Member

I use Prestone washer fluid. It works better than Rain-X and is more durable.
Usually sufferers of paraphilic infantilism are proud of their condition. Kinda like being a liberal. Your mental flaws are there for the entire world to see, and you're damned proud of it. - tank_monkey
stevelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 21:29   #16
goosem36
Lifetime Membership

I am another fan of Rain-ex washer fluid. Way better than the old school bottle approach.
“He pled the cause of the afflicted and needy; Then it was well. Is not that what it means to know Me?” Declares the Lord. - Jeremiah 22:16
goosem36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 21:51   #17
Caver 60

Re my post 12.

Don't forget to clean the inside of your windshield, especially if you're a smoker.
Caver 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 22:46   #18
BigDeeeeeeee

When I lived out by Seattle I used this stuff. No Touch brand Rain Shield, You can spray it on a wet windshield and run the wipers back and forth to spread it and go. Works just as well as Rain-X but so much simpler to use. Down side is it doesn't last as long as Rain-X.
http://www.autoparts2020.com/rsdev/p...T_HDR_ID=30721
These days I just use the Rain-X brand washer fluid which seems to work alright, though it takes a while to build up.

http://www.rainx.com/product/windshi.../#.VEXinRZPJhk