Home Forums Classifieds GT Store Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-22-2015, 21:51   #1
Nalapombu

Adhesive for Computer Plugs on a Board....Is There Such a Thing?

Hey all,

I have an old laptop that about every other month I have a problem that I have to take the keyboard off, then unplug the screen plug from the board, plug it back in and then re-assemble. The problem goes away and things are fine for another month, maybe 2 and the same thing all over again.

I thought I would try and see if there is such a thing as a glue or adhesive that I could put on the female plug and then plug it into the socket on the motherboard and have it stay snugly put. I figure that the problem is somehow the plug is working it's way every so slightly loose, even though I can't detect the slightest bit of it being loose at all when I pull it out to remove the screen.

The laptop is old and not worth much and if this doesn't work, its off to the landfill.

Also, if there are such products, would it be likely that my local Radio Shack would have it?

Thanks

Nalajr
Old 04-22-2015, 21:58   #2
Pima Pants
Urine Idiot

Google "Electrically Conductive Adhesive Systems". It brings up some possibilities.

--Kim Sowol

Last edited by Pima Pants; 04-22-2015 at 22:01..
Pima Pants is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 22:15   #3
Adjuster

Perhaps the contacts are just dirty and tarnished. They make electrical sprays to clean them. If you actually think its working loose a little super glue will fix it once and for all. If you ever wish to pull it apart again a little dab of silicone caulk will hold it together but allow it to be pulled apart if needed.

/
Adjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:32   #4
Rabid Rabbit

I'd avoid the conductive adhesive unless you are absolutely sure you can keep the adhesive from touching another pin. Use the adhesive on the outside of the connector, then you can take it off if you need to. I've seen and used hot and cold glue to keep things from getting loose, just a small drop will do, you don't need a glob. Also check the connectors did some dust build up that is keeping the connector from snapping together?
Rabid Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:29   #5
F106 Fan

I would try hot glue.

Richard
Old 04-23-2015, 07:47   #6
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
When you disassemble it next time try this.

1. Clean out the female connection port really really well with some canned air or something similar.

2. Clean male connectors really well with rubbing alcohol. Make really sure its 100% dry before you reconnect. And I mean, let it dry really well.

3. I wouldn't put any glue (even the conductive) in the female port, but you could use a dab of glue on the ribbon near the connector to keep it in place. As for the type of glue, I've always used hot glue. Just make sure it isn't super stupid hot. Just warm enough to melt the stick.

Last edited by captainstormy; 04-23-2015 at 07:48..
captainstormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:51   #7
Santa CruZin
RIP Mr. Mayor

You might find an aerosol contact cleaner to irrigate both sides of the connection - just be REALLY careful about protecting everything else.

Do not glue those parts together. It may be an oxidation issue (why I recommended the contact cleaner), a failing intermetalic connection in a solder joint, a fractured solder pad under the PCB connector, a fractured PCB trace or via, an intermittent open in the ribbon cable/connector assembly that plugs into the PCB connector or something similar. If the connection is the low-profile cantilever pin type, use an eye loupe to scrutinize the positions of all the connector pins, and use an exacto knife or scalpel to adjust any as needed.

If you glue that cable and/or connector down, you'll be shooting yourself in the foot for any future repairs.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:03   #8
Kevin108
HADOKEN!

+1 on hot glue around the plug
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Kevin108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:01   #9
vart

I work in a facility that builds circuit boards. To stabilize components in certain situations we use silicone or hot melt from a glue gun...

"
I don't think that counts as either unnecessary or inhumane killing. And the bonus of bacon falling from the sky can't be overlooked."
jtmac, on killing feral hogs with tannerite.
vart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:44   #10
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Plugs???? Forget plugs. Forget weaves, wigs and risky surgery as well.

Try some GLH.

The Okie Corral

(FWIW, one of my plugs for my car stereo does this. About every 6 months, I'm pulling the dash to tighten the damned thing or I get this buzzing sound.)
Old 04-23-2015, 13:08   #11
Booker

Give the plug a healthy whack with a hammer! That'll fix it!

Really whack it good to seat the male into the female, nice & tight!
Booker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 13:58   #12
Nalapombu

Gotta love GT!! I never leave without a good laugh!!

I think I'll take it apart tonight and take some pics so you all can see what it looks like and what I am dealing with. That'll let you better advise me on what would be best. Maybe a short video if my niece isn't too stubborn to help.

Stay tuned.

Thank you all so far. I appreciate your willingness to advise and help me with this issue.

Nalajr
Old 04-23-2015, 15:37   #13
byf43
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
I would try hot glue.

Richard
This.

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 15:44   #14
janice6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booker View Post
Give the plug a healthy whack with a hammer! That'll fix it!

Really whack it good to seat the male into the female, nice & tight!

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 17:16   #15
Deanster
CLM Number 250
Cheese?

As above, nothing inside the plug. Conductive grease/adhesive in there will give you endless and probably unfixable issues as it allows current to wander from pin to pin in mysterious ways. There's probably some way of pulling the board and cleaning it out with chemicals that will un-do that, but ANYTHING conductive inside the plug is almost certain to end in disaster.

Options for securing the exterior of the plug, as others have noted include everything from electrical (or other non-conductive, non-heat-sensitive) tape to hot glue or silicone caulk/adhesive.

Honestly, I'd probably take it as a powerful sign the laptop is ready to go back to the great computer factory in the sky, and that you should drop $600 on a new one.

Your behavior angers God and/or the Constitution. Just sayin'.

I only seem liberal because I believe hurricanes are caused by low barometric pressure, and not gay marriage.
Deanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 21:17   #16
Nalapombu

OK guys and gals....

I've got some pics so you all can see what I am talking about. You will then be able to tell me better what would work the best in this case.
Sadly I don't have a video, my niece is a TURD.

This is right under the keyboard and shows the "ribbon" cord that is covered in some kind of black cloth-like material.

The Okie Corral

Little closer....

The Okie Corral

Here is the screen plug after I unplugged it....

The Okie Corral

Another look at this plug....

The Okie Corral

Another side of the plug....

The Okie Corral

Here is the socket that the plug goes into on the Motherboard...

The Okie Corral

So that's it. That's what I am working with here. It would be kinda tough to get hot melt glue into a place that would keep it snug.
To be clear here, when the trouble starts and I take off the keyboard and navigate to the plug, it does NOT appear any different than it does when I finish plugging it in and putting everything back together.
If I took pics of the plug when I was having trouble and then after I took it out and then re-plugged it back in to solve the trouble...you'd never see a difference. I've looked very closely at it and I have never seen or felt it loose.

Because of what you see above is why I asked about some kind of product to hold it as tight as can be like when I plug it back in.

What do you think now that you have seen the pics?

Any products that will help or solve it?

Thanks for your time and any help you can give me.

Nalajr
Old 04-24-2015, 05:22   #17
R2D2

It is not looseness, it is due to oxidation of the contacts as others have mentioned.

Use a quality contact cleaner (nothing abrasive) and then rather then glue the connectors use a dielectric gel (it is non conductive) on the pins to seal air out of the connectors.

I have a 42" TV mounted outside on my lanai that needed to "work" all the connectors every 5-6 months to get the tv to run again. Now it has been 2 years since I used the dielectric gel without a failure. You can find a a pressurized can of the get at most automotive stores.

BTW this is a great trick also for when replacing bulbs, lamps or any electrical connection on your boat, car or anything that live outdoors and subject to corrosion.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:57   #18
Santa CruZin
RIP Mr. Mayor

Approach #1:

Put the straw on the nozzle of a can of de-ox and fire a little into the cantilever terminals of that ribbon cable connector. Make sure the battery is out of the laptop and everything is protected from overspray. Give it a good 30 minutes or so to dry (the de-ox can might say differently) before plugging it back into the PCB connector. If that doesn't do the trick, hold the laptop up on one side so the PCB connector is at a low point, and give a couple shots of the de-ox into the pins. Again, battery removed. I don't know if I'd remove the CMOS button cell battery too, but it wouldn't hurt.

Here's a good de-ox spray:

Approach #2:

This is most likely the shape of the terminals in that ribbon cable connector (kinda hard to tell without x-ray vision, but I'd bet coffee on it):

The Okie Corral

Spring tension holds the contact surface against the male pin in the PCB connector. Occasionally over time this spring tension can relax and just the slightest amount of oxides can form, providing enough resistance to screw with the connection. That, or it'll loosen enough for actual mechanical separation. Notice the locking tab at the top of the terminal - you can see these in your ribbon cable connector. Using a pin or knife, you can press these in slightly and slide the terminals back out of the connector housing. You can R&R them one at a time and make sure the terminal shape hasn't collapsed, causing a loose connection to the PCB connector mating pin. The terminal can be carefully re-formed, the locking tab bent back to it's position as seen in the photo, and the terminal re-seated in the slot it was removed from (as you might imagine, this is kind of important). Make sure you get a good 'click' when you re-seat the terminal, and give the wire a very gentle tug with a tweezer to make sure it won't back out.

Approach #3:

If you absolutely insist on adhesive, tack some hot-melt on each end of the mated connectors. If you see traces running on the PCB in these immediate areas, keep the hot-melt off of them. If you don't see traces, you can involve the PCB in the adhesive connection for a little extra strength. You'll only need tack points at the ends to help ensure mechanical stability between the two plastic connector shells, and if you need to separate them later, going through two points of glue with an exacto knife won't be too big a deal.

I've produced over five million electronic PCB's in the last 25+ years, but hey - some of the other guys here are the real experts. I'm rather partial to the hammer idea, but I'd leave the laptop closed before wailing on it - you'll get better energy distribution and it'll knock that oxidation right off those pesky connector terminals. Leave the battery in too, and make sure your niece has that video camera going.

Last edited by Santa CruZin; 04-24-2015 at 07:34..
Santa CruZin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:02   #19
Deanster
CLM Number 250
Cheese?

I'd say SantaCruzin has nailed it, rock solid advice.

Your behavior angers God and/or the Constitution. Just sayin'.

I only seem liberal because I believe hurricanes are caused by low barometric pressure, and not gay marriage.
Deanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 16:36   #20
pal2511

Send a message via AIM to pal2511
Hot glue is not electrically Conductive I believe. I'd do that