Home Forums Classifieds GT Store Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old Yesterday, 23:29   #1
Whitewolfx0

I was "Made" Sunday.

Yeah I got spotted.... By my Girlfriends dad...
Anyways we were heading to her dads house and I had a little too much fun on the old dirt(muddy) road going to his house and the car decided to go into a foot of mud. Had to call him to tow us out and when I went to go crawling in the mud (more like kneeling) to get the tow strap on the car my gun decided to show itself.

I have learned from this mistake by tucking my undershirt OVER the gun rather than BEHIND the gun and haven't had a issue since.

I haven't even had my permit for a full week and I got made oh well at least it was by a family member.

Anyone want to talk about their first time being made?
Old Yesterday, 23:33   #2
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

Open carry would have prevented that.

I've never been made, AFAIK.
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 23:38   #3
Whitewolfx0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
Open carry would have prevented that.

I've never been made, AFAIK.
To be fair it was open carry when it poped out.

Last edited by Whitewolfx0; Yesterday at 23:44..
Whitewolfx0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 23:39   #4
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

When I was 22 and had a fresh CHL in the great State of Texas, I did what most idiots do, bought a great gun and the cheapest holster I could find. It was more of a nylon pocket with a belt clip on it.

I was carrying in the waistband, in my back. I went into a book store and squatted down to look at magazines on the lowest shelf. It pushed the gun up, out of my pants, and onto the floor.

It happened so fast and at least 3 or more people saw. I grabbed the gun and said something stupid along the lines of "thats not spossed ta happen" and I fast time marched out of that store. I didnt go back for at least a month or so.

...I bought a better holster.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

"Few men desire liberty; most men wish only for a just master." - Sallust

Last edited by Rabbi; Yesterday at 23:40..
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 00:01   #5
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

I knew a made man once. Mob life.
Old Today, 01:15   #6
Smokin45

At the Vet's office a few months back.

First off, I own two large breed dogs. A 130lb male Bullmastiff and a 110lb female Cane Corso. I usually take them to the Vet on separate appointments, but my wife and I were going on a spur of the moment trip and I needed to get some shots done on both of them before we were allowed to board them. I only had one day off before we left so I figured, hey why not just take them both at the same time to avoid another trip. Bad idea...

My Corso HATES small dogs, views them as prey I would guess. Loves people and larger pups, but can't stand those lil yappy tampon looking things. Anyways. We were all done with the vet and I was standing at the counter waiting to check out, and I see this older lady walking across the parking lot with some white furry puffball looking thing. I knew the Corso was gonna go ape ****, so I told the receptionist I was going to go put the pups in the truck and come back to pay. I tried sneaking out the side door with them and almost had them out, until the lady comes strolling in the front door and her dog immediately starts yapping. BOTH my dogs started wigging out. I was carrying my Shield 9 in a Bianchi OWB Slide Holster and somehow one of their leash got in between the gun and my side. The gun came flying out and slid across the floor about 10 feet. I was mortified.. The Vet heard the commotion and came out from the back. By this time the lady took the rat back outside and I had my dogs calm. The Vet picked my gun up off the floor and set it on the ledge beside him.

I must have apologized 30 times and he was real cool about everything. A couple of the Techs looked like they were gonna **** their pants and thank god their were no other customers inside.. I took the dogs outside to the car and came back in to pay. When I got back he called me into one of his examining rooms and we talked for a minute about guns and what caliber the Shield was. He then pulled back one side of his white coat to reveal a Springer 1911 strapped to his side. Man I love living in the South! We've been to the range together a handful of times since then and I put him on a nice Hog about 2 weeks ago.

Two things I learned that day..

1. NEVER try taking two 100lb+ dogs to the vet by myself
2. Buy a holster with better retention..

But yeah, thats the only time I've ever been "made"
Smokin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:54   #7
panzer1
NRA MEMBER

That's why I always carry with a thumb brake.
Old Today, 02:16   #8
jtmac
Señor Member

Send a message via AIM to jtmac Send a message via Yahoo to jtmac

My first holster was a really cheap Uncle Mike's suede holster that did not quite fit my gun. It covered the trigger guard, but I learned when carrying it that fitting into the holster did not mean it was a secure fit.

I believe I had already found a decent OWB holster by that time, but I didn't have a proper gun belt yet and I decided that an upcoming church youth outing called for IWB. We stopped at a mall for a few hours, and I got to walk around with that thing sagging and flopping and generally threatening to come loose. For the first in my brief carrying career, I was a nervous wreck. But nobody made me. Yet.

When we arrived at our final destination, they were wanding people. They assured everyone that they could safely keep anything they found, but I didn't trust the security of their plastic buckets or their discretion. I got the bus key from one of the other adults and told him that I was stashing my firearm and to let me be the first one back on when we got out. No big deal. Or so I thought.

The next week I heard from my dad that the Pastor was furious. Word had been passed up. I went to the office as soon as I could. The associate pastor was surprised to see me, so I was glad that it was being kept private. I caught him in his office soon after before he lit into me I told him that I had a permit and carried every day, but that if he preferred I wouldn't for church events.

The fact that I had a permit I exercised on a regular basis seemed to calm him for some reason. He knew me far better than to think anything else was the case, but I guess with some people they see your social status (young man) before they see their personal knowledge of you. He told me that he wouldn't worry about it as long as I didn't do it again. I thanked him for his time and for not discussing it with anyone else, and he acknowledged a common understanding of the need for discretion and privacy in personal matters. And that was it... I thought.

There was one particular guy I had been concerned about finding out. I loved him, but he was a guy I didn't trust, and who I knew had trouble with discretion--and even if he could keep a secret, I knew that he would have that to use if there was ever an interpersonal conflict.

This guy also happened to be a client of mine. And there I was several weeks later, standing over his printer, wearing a my pistol at 4:00 in my good holster and on a sturdy leather belt, underneath a jacket... when he comes up and gives me a friendly pat on the lower back. I was made.

He feigned a little non-judgemental shock, and gave me a little wink as if to say it would stay between us. I could read him like a book. It was not an accidental discovery. He was just confirming for himself.

So, I learned a valuable lesson: Do not go anywhere without a plan to stash your gun. I started taking my own car a lot more.

Last edited by jtmac; Today at 02:44..
jtmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:23   #9
GVFlyer

Never, AFAIK. I vary the weapon I carry with wardrobe - from a Ruger LCP to full size 1911s. I think I can tell about other folks though - for sh1ts and giggles I do "bump checks" when I'm in doubt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:48   #10
rolltide_pisco
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
I knew a made man once. Mob life.
Shhh there's no such thing as the mafia
rolltide_pisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:23   #11
plp

Not yet, but have made several people, including a few that really surprised me. One of my band mates, and probably the last guy I would've figured to carry, was helping load equipment after a gig one night. I was lifting the board onto the tailgate of the truck, he was in the bed and I noticed he had an ankle holster on his left leg. When he turned I could see the grip of a revolver, looked to be a Smith and Wesson.

I say not yet, but have noticed sometimes in jeans when I squat it prints in my pocket. I started carrying it with the grip backwards, as it is easier to get out of the pocket and doesn't look quite so pistoley.
plp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:04   #12
czsmithGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewolfx0 View Post
Anyone want to talk about their first time being made?
Never- I'm not an idiot.
czsmithGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:51   #13
Bruce M

Sometimes retention and discretion are our friends.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:57   #14
dougader

I carried for a year before my own gf knew about it. But once at a stereo shop I bent over to check out some speakers or something and the butt of my gun popped out from under my jacket. The sales guys were worried for a minute and asked, "what's the gun for?" I just said I worked as a legal investigator for a law firm and I'm licensed, etc, (which was all true) and they were cool.

"In St. Louis, armed Homeland Security agents monitored Tea Party members protesting the IRS. Good idea. When people think their government is out to get them, the best response is to send the government out to get them." -Fred Thompson

Last edited by dougader; Today at 08:58..
dougader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:07   #15
TX OMFS
Lifetime Membership
Right wing nut

Never been made AFAIK. I find myself worrying about it less. I even started adjusting the gun under my coat in public. No problems. The first time I carried it was small of back, IWB, at a grocery store. I was a nervous Nelly, didn't bend over for anything. I have since realized SOB carry sucks if you plan on sitting down!
Old Today, 09:17   #16
fowl intent

I thought this thread was about the mob...
fowl intent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:17   #17
todd_g

I take great pride in making sure nobody knows I am carrying.....we except for the internet
Old Today, 09:21   #18
M&P15T
Beard One

I honestly don't care if someone figures out I'm carrying.

Sometimes I just toss my G17C in a front pocket, and that's very obvious.
Old Today, 10:39   #19
The_Dan
was Dan_ntx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
When I was 22 and had a fresh CHL in the great State of Texas, I did what most idiots do, bought a great gun and the cheapest holster I could find. It was more of a nylon pocket with a belt clip on it.

I was carrying in the waistband, in my back. I went into a book store and squatted down to look at magazines on the lowest shelf. It pushed the gun up, out of my pants, and onto the floor.

It happened so fast and at least 3 or more people saw. I grabbed the gun and said something stupid along the lines of "thats not spossed ta happen" and I fast time marched out of that store. I didnt go back for at least a month or so.

...I bought a better holster.
"Uncle Mikes Gun Show!"...

I think that exact scenario has happened to many more than will admit it. I still like the cheap nylon holsters though...great for keeping scratches off when in storage.
The_Dan is online now   Reply With Quote