Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:10   #1
M&P Shooter
PA Member

Bruce Lee fighting in the UFC!

Old 08-27-2014, 08:18   #2
Dave514

The reality, in my opinion would be, Aldo takes Lee to the ground at the 10 second mark.....chokes out Lee at the 30 second mark of round 1.

There is no other sport that has evolved more over the last 20 years than martial arts. I think Bruce Lee would have no more chance of being blipped in, ready to go, in today's sport than...than... actually, I can't think of any worse situation. There are just too many facets now, with juijitsu and wrestling integrated into the stand-up for someone from 40 years ago to come in and do well. I don't doubt that if Lee were a young man, alive today, that he could become a very good MMA fighter but it would take training in disciplines that he is not well versed. Again, my opinion.
Dave514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:19   #3
DaleGribble
Well Heeled Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave514 View Post
The reality, in my opinion would be, Aldo takes Lee to the ground at the 10 second mark.....chokes out Lee at the 30 second mark of round 1.

There is no other sport that has evolved more over the last 20 years than martial arts. I think Bruce Lee would have no more chance of being blipped in, ready to go, in today's sport than...than... actually, I can't think of any worse situation. There are just too many facets now, with juijitsu and wrestling integrated into the stand-up for someone from 40 years ago to come in and do well. I don't doubt that if Lee were a young man, alive today, that he could become a very good MMA fighter but it would take training in disciplines that he is not well versed. Again, my opinion.
Pffft... Whatever.

Lee by Dim mak five seconds into round one.

Or Swayze by heart rippage in round three.
DaleGribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:21   #4
hooligan74

If there is one thing that UFC has borne out over its existence, it's that people who are only strikers (of which, Lee would certainly have been) don't fare well. At all.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:21   #5
TK-421

Seeing as how Bruce Lee's fists were so fast he had to tone it down for the movies, so they could capture it on camera well enough for the audience to see, I wouldn't be surprised if Aldo quite literally never saw it coming when Bruce Lee whoops him in nothing flat.

"Jesus died for your sins, right? Get your money's worth."
- Chad Daniels
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:24   #6
DaleGribble
Well Heeled Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
Seeing as how Bruce Lee's fists were so fast he had to tone it down for the movies, so they could capture it on camera well enough for the audience to see, I wouldn't be surprised if Aldo quite literally never saw it coming when Bruce Lee whoops him in nothing flat.
You forgot to mention how he was stronger than five tigers and faster than a cheetah.
DaleGribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:35   #7
bocaboca

Lee took Judo and small circle jujitsu training from Wally Jay...(back in the day)....he had ground skills for submission's not for the ground and pound of todays fighters.
I think he would be out matched against a strong all'round MMA player
bocaboca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:02   #8
Pythonman

Lee would have studied MMA and in no time learned how to quickly dispatch with 4 or 5 of these characters at a time. It's nice to think these martial artists could wipe the floor with someone like Bruce Lee but I have to agree with TK-421 that his opponents wouldn't even see the strikes that flatten them.

NRA Member
Big Dawg #1364
G19 G26 G30 G21 All Gen 3!
Pythonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:15   #9
dugo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan74 View Post
If there is one thing that UFC has borne out over its existence, it's that people who are only strikers (of which, Lee would certainly have been) don't fare well. At all.
Not much of a Lee fan, but he did do some grappling. Movies are not a good representation of what MA'ists actually do -- except the ones who primarily do movie stuff.

By the by, mma/UFC is strong stuff, but it is not real life either. You gotta have grappling and ground work to be real, yeah, but a good number of fights do not go to ground.. No slight to mma -- those guys are tough, and before them, there was a real weakness a lot of folks had in working on the ground.

Last edited by dugo; 08-27-2014 at 12:24..
dugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 13:33   #10
hooligan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugo View Post
Not much of a Lee fan, but he did do some grappling. Movies are not a good representation of what MA'ists actually do -- except the ones who primarily do movie stuff.

By the by, mma/UFC is strong stuff, but it is not real life either. You gotta have grappling and ground work to be real, yeah, but a good number of fights do not go to ground.. No slight to mma -- those guys are tough, and before them, there was a real weakness a lot of folks had in working on the ground.

Isn't this thread about a notional UFC match, and not "real life"?

I don't claim to be an expert on Lee and what he did/didn't train. I do know that Jeet Kun Do contains a certain amount of grappling, but it doesn't seem like enough of a focal point for a modern MMA/UFC style fight.
Old 08-27-2014, 13:39   #11
Luosnogard
Gun Nut

Bruce Lee was constantly improving his skills and was a brilliant fighter. If he was resurrected out of the blue today he would be demolished in the UFC, but he was never afraid to take what worked from different styles and apply it to his skill set. If the UFC was a big part of martial arts when he was alive he would have adapted, learned and been very dangerous. I always felt Kenny Florian gave us the closest look of what Bruce Lee might have fought like in the UFC, but of course add Bruce's speed, adaptability and strength IMO he would have been nearly impossible to beat. People forget he wasn't just a great fighter...he was a genius in the art of fighting

Last edited by Luosnogard; 08-27-2014 at 13:43..
Luosnogard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 13:46   #12
G36's Rule

Since Bruce wasn't a real fighter, never competed, I'd say he would lose pretty badly.

He was a pretty good self-promoter though.
G36's Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 13:50   #13
vtbluegrass

The problem in getting Lee to the ground is getting close enough to grab hold and take him down. I would say the speed most UFC fighters move at would open them up to getting kicked or punched in the face and getting KTFO real quick. Feel the same way about most championship boxers. Yeah they would like a flipped turtle on the ground but getting close enough to an elite boxer wearing 4 ounce gloves just seems like a bad idea. The hand speed is at a different level.
Old 08-27-2014, 13:51   #14
wingryder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave514 View Post
The Okie Corral

You take that back right now!

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan
wingryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 14:04   #15
Luosnogard
Gun Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by G36's Rule View Post
Since Bruce wasn't a real fighter, never competed.
So to be a REAL fighter you have to compete? Interesting.
Tell me more.

Last edited by Luosnogard; 08-27-2014 at 14:04..
Old 08-27-2014, 14:14   #16
Dave514

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbluegrass View Post
The problem in getting Lee to the ground is getting close enough to grab hold and take him down. I would say the speed most UFC fighters move at would open them up to getting kicked or punched in the face and getting KTFO real quick. Feel the same way about most championship boxers. Yeah they would like a flipped turtle on the ground but getting close enough to an elite boxer wearing 4 ounce gloves just seems like a bad idea. The hand speed is at a different level.

That has been a debate for a long time. James Toney thought the same thing. Even in his prime, the end result would have been the same.
Old 08-27-2014, 14:16   #17
G36's Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luosnogard View Post
So to be a REAL fighter you have to compete? Interesting.
Tell me more.
Not necessarily, but it is a great indicator of skill level. Being in movies and other scripted performances certainly doesn't make a REAL fighter.
G36's Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 14:18   #18
GRD67

Bruce Lee was a street fighter no rules, no bells, no pads, or ref. to stop the fight.

I'd like to see a cage fighter take on a street fighter of equal weight, and also trained in the martial arts.
GRD67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 14:21   #19
Luosnogard
Gun Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by G36's Rule View Post
Not necessarily, but it is a great indicator of skill level. Being in movies and other scripted performances certainly doesn't make a REAL fighter.
You obviously know nothing about Bruce Lee which is fine. We are all entitled to our opinion, but I really suggest you do some research about the man. It will amaze you
Old 08-27-2014, 14:25   #20
Dave514

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRD67 View Post
Bruce Lee was a street fighter no rules, no bells, no pads, or ref. to stop the fight.

I'd like to see a cage fighter take on a street fighter of equal weight, and also trained in the martial arts.

Kimbo Slice was an interesting experiment along that line of thinking.