SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old Yesterday, 16:43   #1
hogfish
Señor Member

Post Office Carry?

This came up in another thread, so I went ahead and searched. The most recent thing I found was about a Judge ruling that the P.O. has no power to prohibit firearms in the parking lot.

Is carrying in a Post Office still unsettled law, or has it been cleared up recently?

Thanks.

"Almost no matter the question, capitalism and freedom are the answers, while government and religion are not." Syclone538
hogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 16:46   #2
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache

Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfish View Post
This came up in another thread, so I went ahead and searched. The most recent thing I found was about a Judge ruling that the P.O. has no power to prohibit firearms in the parking lot.

Is carrying in a Post Office still unsettled law, or has it been cleared up recently?

Thanks.
I carry in the post office all the time, it's a small post office with two employees, they are both into guns, the postmaster always ask to see what I'm carrying and we compare side arms.....
Dalton Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 16:54   #3
stevelyn
NRA Life Member

Unsettled? More like muddy and murky and open to creative interpretation.
Usually sufferers of paraphilic infantilism are proud of their condition. Kinda like being a liberal. Your mental flaws are there for the entire world to see, and you're damned proud of it. - tank_monkey
stevelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 16:56   #4
itisbruno
CLM Number 103
Devious Member

39 C.F.R. § 232.1(l )

Weapons and explosives. Notwithstanding the provisions of any other law, rule or regulation, no person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.

I do not carry inside the PO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
daily to give food for animals in a shelter or sanctuary...for FREE
itisbruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 17:01   #5
Dragline

I remember being told by a local firearms instructor many years ago that it was a federal offense to carry a concealed handgun into the post office here in SC.
I don't go to the PO that often but if I thought about it I always put the gun in the glove box before going in.

Is this not the case now? Was it ever? I have no idea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Dragline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 17:11   #6
stevelyn
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisbruno View Post
39 C.F.R. § 232.1(l )

Weapons and explosives. Notwithstanding the provisions of any other law, rule or regulation, no person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.

I do not carry inside the PO

A CHL would be considered an official purpose.
Usually sufferers of paraphilic infantilism are proud of their condition. Kinda like being a liberal. Your mental flaws are there for the entire world to see, and you're damned proud of it. - tank_monkey
stevelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 17:44   #7
G30SF/F-250
Platinum Membership
GTDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton Wayne View Post
I carry in the post office all the time, it's a small post office with two employees, they are both into guns, the postmaster always ask to see what I'm carrying and we compare side arms.....
Hey Frank.

Hey Dalton, whatcha carrin today?

Well I got my Glock G.......BANG!!!!

You alright Frank?!?!?!

I'm good Dalton.

He said been busy keeping the kids and wife happy, did you miss that? Probably time for you to turn off pretty woman and wipe the ********* tears from your eyes, you might be able to read better ahole.
By AJ
G30SF/F-250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 17:56   #8
JamesPeter

I carry everywhere there isn't a metal detector or a pat-down. Concealed is concealed.
JamesPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 17:56   #9
Diesel_Bomber

My lawyer said that the law needs better definition and advised me to not bring a firearm onto postal property at all, not even in the parking lot. Unless I want to be the test case in which case her yearly retainer will be going up.

I park across the street and leave my gun in the truck.

DW, I hope you don't walk into the post office during the five minutes the big city postal inspector is doing his yearly inspection.

Diesel_Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 18:00   #10
RustyShackelford
> OD Glock 32 <

There is no way in actual hell I would carry in the P.O. Heck, I even cross the street to the other sidewalk when strolling about town, rather than be about on the property.

Why bother with the risk if some anti* knows the rules and makes a call (which they would be entirely within their rights to do so)..
TOP GUN 357SIG, Florida Glocker Clubs member #420

, straight stock (so far)
----------------------------
Ray Zalinsky: "What the American public doesn't know is what makes them the American public."
RustyShackelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 18:02   #11
Jbehredt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeter View Post
I carry everywhere there isn't a metal detector or a pat-down. Concealed is concealed.

Ditto. Tried by 12 or carried by 6. The exception being personal boycotts of anti gun businesses.
Jbehredt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 18:08   #12
attrapereves

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeter View Post
Same here. Actually, I completely avoid going to the PO after I bought a scale. I can weigh and ship things from home. You save money by buying online too. I buy stamps at the grocery store.
Old Yesterday, 19:18   #13
czsmithGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfish View Post

Thanks.
It is the law. Whether you choose to follow it or not is your choice. On the very, very remote chance that you would be caught carrying concealed and prosecuted, be prepared to spend everything you have in your legal defense.
czsmithGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 20:08   #14
1-2man
Part Time

Is the post office still in business?
1-2man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 20:15   #15
uhlawpup
Gentle Soul

Send a message via Yahoo to uhlawpup
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
Really? You have statutory or case law to support this, right?

CRUX SANCTA SIT MIHI LUX
NUNQUAM DRACO SIT MIHI DUX
uhlawpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 20:19   #16
itisbruno
CLM Number 103
Devious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhlawpup View Post
Really? You have statutory or case law to support this, right?
I'm glad someone who knows what they are talking about made that comment and I refrained from doing so.

daily to give food for animals in a shelter or sanctuary...for FREE
itisbruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 20:25   #17
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

The PO and my kids' schools are off limits. I never find myself in any other House of Verboten.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

Last edited by Angry Fist; Yesterday at 20:25..
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 21:46   #18
Bruce M

I would probably ask the Postal Police or the US Postal Inspection Service about whether or not it is legal to carry in the Post Office. Then for good measure depending on what they said of course, I would probably look at the federal court in the area and see what kind of sentences they hand down for various firearms violations and compare that to state court sentences.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 21:56   #19
2bgop

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
Be careful giving that advice, unless you have a federal statutory definition of "official purpose" that would apply.
2bgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 22:03   #20
Little Joe

http://concealedcarryaustin.com/guns...l-judge-rules/
Luke 10:18 And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven. 19 Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.
Little Joe is offline   Reply With Quote