Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:37   #1
speicher

Vang Comp

Anyone have a shotgun that is Vang Comp'd? I am thinking about having it done to my 870...but, for the $250 cost, is it worth it??

Reduction in muzzle flip is suppose to be drastically reduced.

Getting back on target faster is suppose to be easier.

Thanks.

Those who live by the sword are shot by those who don't.
speicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 13:33   #2
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Federal Flite-Control will give some of the same benefits, cheaper.

However if you only have access to standard buckshot or it's a professional duty gun, I'd say yes, get it done.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 20:42   #3
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

I don't really complain about shotgun recoil so much because I am pretty big so I don't really notice the reduction. What I do notice is much tighter group than with your average shotgun. I think what really sold me was being able to knock down pepper poppers with #6 birdshot at about 25 yards.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

How DUI enforcement should really work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Bullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 21:05   #4
22highcaps

I have one. It really shines with high pellet count loads like 1BK, 12P 00BK, etc.
Illinois Glockers #8
22highcaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 18:18   #5
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

And it is nice not having to be so choosy when your buying ammo, you can get flight control results with your average buckshot.

Old 09-29-2013, 20:02   #6
Deployment Solu
Kydex Crafter

Hans Vang is the man!! He did one of my first 870's years ago and the pattern at 25yds was something phenomenal. Taking out the forcing cone and porting the barrel was revolutionary back then and improved accuracy and shot pattern sized like you wouldn't believe.

The world needs less victims and more victors!!!!!
Deployment Solu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 16:34   #7
RetDet

Send a message via AIM to RetDet
Hans is a personal friend, and has been since we met at the Great Western Gun Show in Pomona all those years ago. I have three of his guns, one full load 11-87, one full load 870, and one 870 that I bought from my local gun shop in CA and had it partially done by my Dept gunsmith and the rest done by Hans. The wonderful thing is when others are doing a select slug drill to keep their rounds on target, you're still shooting what's still in your magazine. Recoil is reduced from 15 to 35 percent, which is significant. He just does wonderful stuff.
Old 10-17-2013, 19:22   #8
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

He did my 870 and shrank my patterns immensely with 00 buck. When I did some training with it for rapid fire work, the recoil reduction was amazing.

It should be noted that Hans is the only one Remington will back for work. He was highly regarded by the Remington armorer course instructors I had a few years ago.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 13:05   #9
Star7

I recently took a class. Out of 18 the three vangcomps ran flawlessly (two 870 one mossi). His reliability package is definitely useful. His SG do group buck tighter but the new fed flight control works well in non vangcomped barrels. The compensator really works. If you are firing hundreds of rounds the vangcomp is very user friendly.
Star7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 21:20   #10
Nalapombu

I've wondered why other "smiths don't copy what he does and get the same results. Does he do other stuff to the barrel other than drill all those holes in the end near the front sight?

Nalajr
Old 10-18-2013, 21:31   #11
Victoriagotagun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalapombu View Post
I've wondered why other "smiths don't copy what he does and get the same results. Does he do other stuff to the barrel other than drill all those holes in the end near the front sight?

Nalajr
He has a patent on what he does and its more than just the porting.

"Glocks are for criminals" -Nick_45
Victoriagotagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 21:53   #12
Syclone0538

http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm....ing-cones.html

This is one of the things done. I would think it would be extremely difficult to enforce a patent on smoothing out the inside of a barrel and porting it. Though I'm sure it's more complicated than that.
Syclone0538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 21:59   #13
Goldendog Redux
Shut your mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurphy View Post
Federal Flite-Control will give some of the same benefits, cheaper.

However if you only have access to standard buckshot or it's a professional duty gun, I'd say yes, get it done.
The federal is good stuff. Impressive out of a 14 inch barrel
Old 10-19-2013, 23:21   #14
Nalapombu

I just thought all he done was port it with those holes in that distinct pattern.

Sure it's great that he has a PATENT on his process, but a patent isn't worth the paper it's printed on UNLESS you have the money and resources to ENFORCE IT. You think Hans would call up his lawyer at $250 per hour to file papers and march into FEDERAL COURT to get on the docket to enforce his patent on his shotgun customizing if he found some small time 'smith in Savannah, Ga copying his work exactly on a few shotguns a month?
It wouldn't be financially worth it. Sure, if someone like Wilson Combat or Remington Custom Shop started churning them out then yeah, go at it, but not to stop some one man operation that copies your work.

Nalajr
Old 10-20-2013, 05:44   #15
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

Hans is also specific on what sort of shotguns he will work on, probably because he has jigs set up for certain barrels. I don't think I could get my 1897 barrel Vang Comped, or a barrel for my Model 11 Remington. I am not entirely sure he would do the barrel on my 930 Mossberg either. Just Remington 870s and 11-87s and then the Mossberg 500/590s

Old 10-20-2013, 14:49   #16
thebolt

I purchased a Vang Comp 870 Police shotgun and am very pleased. The shotgun functions very well and the patterns are very impressive.
Old 10-20-2013, 21:09   #17
RetDet

Send a message via AIM to RetDet
Because of the amount of business he does and the types of people and organizations with whom he does it, I think he'd defend his patents vigorously. And he can afford to, believe me.
Old 11-03-2013, 17:02   #18
sps

I believe some years back Hans had some problems with a California agency. It seemed that their in house armorer was "TRYING TO" do Hans magic them selves. He won big time in court !!!!! So remember its not how big of a stick you carry-its how fast and how long
you swing it !!!!
sps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:04   #19
Glockster_James
Man W/ A Badge

Send a message via AIM to Glockster_James Send a message via Yahoo to Glockster_James
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalapombu View Post
I just thought all he done was port it with those holes in that distinct pattern.

Sure it's great that he has a PATENT on his process, but a patent isn't worth the paper it's printed on UNLESS you have the money and resources to ENFORCE IT. You think Hans would call up his lawyer at $250 per hour to file papers and march into FEDERAL COURT to get on the docket to enforce his patent on his shotgun customizing if he found some small time 'smith in Savannah, Ga copying his work exactly on a few shotguns a month?
It wouldn't be financially worth it. Sure, if someone like Wilson Combat or Remington Custom Shop started churning them out then yeah, go at it, but not to stop some one man operation that copies your work.

Nalajr
If someone looks in the right places they'll find numerous people doing the same work. It's all a matter of how big are they taking it and everything. Guarantee if I set up shop and started to try and become as big as VangComp doing all he does he'd sue. If I just did a few jobs for myself and friends and kept it on the down low, who cares.

"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15
Glockster_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 17:39   #20
Star7

In addition to the compensator, he backbores. Whether or not his version of backboring is particularly novel, I couldn't say. His guns do tend to pattern real well. If you look down the barrel, you see a lot more than just the compensator. A friend had a 870 back bored by some no-name smith with no compensator that out shot my vang comp. I can say that isn't the usual situation.
Star7 is offline   Reply With Quote