GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 12:37   #1
speicher
Senior Member
 
speicher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: OH.
Posts: 629
Vang Comp

Anyone have a shotgun that is Vang Comp'd? I am thinking about having it done to my 870...but, for the $250 cost, is it worth it??

Reduction in muzzle flip is suppose to be drastically reduced.

Getting back on target faster is suppose to be easier.

Thanks.
__________________
"Lets Roll"

Those who live by the sword are shot by those who don't.
speicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 13:33   #2
MrMurphy
Head Sheepdog
 
MrMurphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Buried in the X-files
Posts: 31,635
Federal Flite-Control will give some of the same benefits, cheaper.

However if you only have access to standard buckshot or it's a professional duty gun, I'd say yes, get it done.
__________________
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 20:42   #3
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach
 
Bullman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: SW Virginia
Posts: 25,433


I don't really complain about shotgun recoil so much because I am pretty big so I don't really notice the reduction. What I do notice is much tighter group than with your average shotgun. I think what really sold me was being able to knock down pepper poppers with #6 birdshot at about 25 yards.
__________________
Yeah, I'm a champion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imini3CWiVQ
How DUI enforcement should really work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJYsX1YGiGA
Bullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 21:05   #4
22highcaps
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Trapped in the PRI
Posts: 964
I have one. It really shines with high pellet count loads like 1BK, 12P 00BK, etc.
__________________
Illinois Glockers #8
22highcaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 18:18   #5
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach
 
Bullman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: SW Virginia
Posts: 25,433


And it is nice not having to be so choosy when your buying ammo, you can get flight control results with your average buckshot.
__________________
Yeah, I'm a champion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imini3CWiVQ
How DUI enforcement should really work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJYsX1YGiGA
Bullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 20:02   #6
Deployment Solu
Kydex Crafter
 
Deployment Solu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 6,048
Blog Entries: 1


Hans Vang is the man!! He did one of my first 870's years ago and the pattern at 25yds was something phenomenal. Taking out the forcing cone and porting the barrel was revolutionary back then and improved accuracy and shot pattern sized like you wouldn't believe.
__________________
Federal, State, and NRA Certified Firearms Instructor, Arkansas CHL Instructor. Handgun, Shotgun, Patrol/ Urban Rifle Instructor. Advanced Tactics Instructor.

The world needs less victims and more victors!!!!!
Deployment Solu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 16:34   #7
RetDet
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 1,976
Send a message via AIM to RetDet
Hans is a personal friend, and has been since we met at the Great Western Gun Show in Pomona all those years ago. I have three of his guns, one full load 11-87, one full load 870, and one 870 that I bought from my local gun shop in CA and had it partially done by my Dept gunsmith and the rest done by Hans. The wonderful thing is when others are doing a select slug drill to keep their rounds on target, you're still shooting what's still in your magazine. Recoil is reduced from 15 to 35 percent, which is significant. He just does wonderful stuff.
__________________
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
Jeff Cooper
RetDet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 19:22   #8
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: North of Seattle, South of Canada
Posts: 11,163


He did my 870 and shrank my patterns immensely with 00 buck. When I did some training with it for rapid fire work, the recoil reduction was amazing.

It should be noted that Hans is the only one Remington will back for work. He was highly regarded by the Remington armorer course instructors I had a few years ago.
__________________
Neo-pagan, FORMER Libertarian, Cop, Gun Owner, Jewish Heritage - I'm the small talk at parties!

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 13:05   #9
Star7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 8
I recently took a class. Out of 18 the three vangcomps ran flawlessly (two 870 one mossi). His reliability package is definitely useful. His SG do group buck tighter but the new fed flight control works well in non vangcomped barrels. The compensator really works. If you are firing hundreds of rounds the vangcomp is very user friendly.
Star7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 21:20   #10
Nalapombu
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Spring, TEXAS....USA
Posts: 5,048


I've wondered why other "smiths don't copy what he does and get the same results. Does he do other stuff to the barrel other than drill all those holes in the end near the front sight?

Nalajr
__________________
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Ben Franklin
Nalapombu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 21:31   #11
Victoriagotagun
Senior Member
 
Victoriagotagun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: California
Posts: 2,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalapombu View Post
I've wondered why other "smiths don't copy what he does and get the same results. Does he do other stuff to the barrel other than drill all those holes in the end near the front sight?

Nalajr
He has a patent on what he does and its more than just the porting.
__________________
~Victoria~

"Glocks are for criminals" -Nick_45
Victoriagotagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 21:53   #12
Syclone0538
Senior Member
 
Syclone0538's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 847
http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm....ing-cones.html

This is one of the things done. I would think it would be extremely difficult to enforce a patent on smoothing out the inside of a barrel and porting it. Though I'm sure it's more complicated than that.
Syclone0538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 21:59   #13
Goldendog Redux
Shut your mouth
 
Goldendog Redux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Nevada
Posts: 5,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurphy View Post
Federal Flite-Control will give some of the same benefits, cheaper.

However if you only have access to standard buckshot or it's a professional duty gun, I'd say yes, get it done.
The federal is good stuff. Impressive out of a 14 inch barrel
__________________
In Omnia Paratus
Goldendog Redux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 23:21   #14
Nalapombu
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Spring, TEXAS....USA
Posts: 5,048


I just thought all he done was port it with those holes in that distinct pattern.

Sure it's great that he has a PATENT on his process, but a patent isn't worth the paper it's printed on UNLESS you have the money and resources to ENFORCE IT. You think Hans would call up his lawyer at $250 per hour to file papers and march into FEDERAL COURT to get on the docket to enforce his patent on his shotgun customizing if he found some small time 'smith in Savannah, Ga copying his work exactly on a few shotguns a month?
It wouldn't be financially worth it. Sure, if someone like Wilson Combat or Remington Custom Shop started churning them out then yeah, go at it, but not to stop some one man operation that copies your work.

Nalajr
__________________
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Ben Franklin
Nalapombu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:44   #15
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach
 
Bullman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: SW Virginia
Posts: 25,433


Hans is also specific on what sort of shotguns he will work on, probably because he has jigs set up for certain barrels. I don't think I could get my 1897 barrel Vang Comped, or a barrel for my Model 11 Remington. I am not entirely sure he would do the barrel on my 930 Mossberg either. Just Remington 870s and 11-87s and then the Mossberg 500/590s
__________________
Yeah, I'm a champion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imini3CWiVQ
How DUI enforcement should really work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJYsX1YGiGA
Bullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 14:49   #16
thebolt
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Parker, Colorado
Posts: 14
I purchased a Vang Comp 870 Police shotgun and am very pleased. The shotgun functions very well and the patterns are very impressive.
__________________
Land of the free because of the brave!
thebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 21:09   #17
RetDet
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 1,976
Send a message via AIM to RetDet
Because of the amount of business he does and the types of people and organizations with whom he does it, I think he'd defend his patents vigorously. And he can afford to, believe me.
__________________
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
Jeff Cooper
RetDet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 16:02   #18
sps
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 30
I believe some years back Hans had some problems with a California agency. It seemed that their in house armorer was "TRYING TO" do Hans magic them selves. He won big time in court !!!!! So remember its not how big of a stick you carry-its how fast and how long
you swing it !!!!
sps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 00:04   #19
Glockster_James
Man W/ A Badge
 
Glockster_James's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Aberdeen, WA
Posts: 3,809
Send a message via AIM to Glockster_James Send a message via Yahoo to Glockster_James
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalapombu View Post
I just thought all he done was port it with those holes in that distinct pattern.

Sure it's great that he has a PATENT on his process, but a patent isn't worth the paper it's printed on UNLESS you have the money and resources to ENFORCE IT. You think Hans would call up his lawyer at $250 per hour to file papers and march into FEDERAL COURT to get on the docket to enforce his patent on his shotgun customizing if he found some small time 'smith in Savannah, Ga copying his work exactly on a few shotguns a month?
It wouldn't be financially worth it. Sure, if someone like Wilson Combat or Remington Custom Shop started churning them out then yeah, go at it, but not to stop some one man operation that copies your work.

Nalajr
If someone looks in the right places they'll find numerous people doing the same work. It's all a matter of how big are they taking it and everything. Guarantee if I set up shop and started to try and become as big as VangComp doing all he does he'd sue. If I just did a few jobs for myself and friends and kept it on the down low, who cares.
__________________
James

"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15
Glockster_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 16:39   #20
Star7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 8
In addition to the compensator, he backbores. Whether or not his version of backboring is particularly novel, I couldn't say. His guns do tend to pattern real well. If you look down the barrel, you see a lot more than just the compensator. A friend had a 870 back bored by some no-name smith with no compensator that out shot my vang comp. I can say that isn't the usual situation.
Star7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:14   #21
DaleGribble
Well Heeled Bum
 
DaleGribble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Land of the toothless!
Posts: 15,334
Lengthening a forcing cone, porting and polishing are all techniques that were around before Hans Vang. I don't know what he patented, maybe a specific tool I don't know, but other reputable shops do those techniques.
DaleGribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:27   #22
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew
 
concretefuzzynuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: VB, VA
Posts: 6,095
I have a 591A from Vang and am very happy with its performance.
__________________
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
Member

Last edited by concretefuzzynuts; 12-18-2013 at 03:29..
concretefuzzynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 19:03   #23
22highcaps
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Trapped in the PRI
Posts: 964
Just in case any one is wondering, it is not the lengthening of the forcing cone that shrinks the patterns. I have one full VCS barrel and one barrel that had just the forcing cone lengthened (different smith). The later was not very helpful in shrinking patterns.
__________________
Illinois Glockers #8
22highcaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 21:34   #24
aippi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleGribble View Post
Lengthening a forcing cone, porting and polishing are all techniques that were around before Hans Vang. I don't know what he patented, maybe a specific tool I don't know, but other reputable shops do those techniques.
Yep, as stated above - Back boring and lengthening the forcing cones on shotguns was being done in Europe before any one reading this was born. Since he does not make the barrel, Remington manufactures it, anything he does to it is open game. If he manufactured the barrel then he could have some rights to it but anyone can modify something they buy. I can buy a barrel from Remington and do anything I want to it and sell to anyone I want. That is why all the Custom gun builders who simply modify AR's, .45's, Shotguns, 700 and so many more can do what they want to them. If they copy an accessory that is pattened and use that as their own, then they have problem.

This in no way anything against his builds. The are being used by LEO's all over this country and for good cause and he know the platform and the business.

I am learning from many who know, that the new flight control waddings are all but antiquating choke. I don't use the flight control stuff, don't want them or need them as I use a shotgun for what it is, a shotgun and I find the patterns I get to be effective for my defense needs. There is a reason it is called a scatter gun. Others seem very impressed with 00 making one hole at a certain yardage. Me, if I want one hole I use a slug.
__________________
J.D. McGuire, Owner
AI&P Tactical, LLC
www.aiptactical.com
Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:11   #25
DaleGribble
Well Heeled Bum
 
DaleGribble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Land of the toothless!
Posts: 15,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by aippi View Post
Yep, as stated above - Back boring and lengthening the forcing cones on shotguns was being done in Europe before any one reading this was born. Since he does not make the barrel, Remington manufactures it, anything he does to it is open game. If he manufactured the barrel then he could have some rights to it but anyone can modify something they buy. I can buy a barrel from Remington and do anything I want to it and sell to anyone I want. That is why all the Custom gun builders who simply modify AR's, .45's, Shotguns, 700 and so many more can do what they want to them. If they copy an accessory that is pattened and use that as their own, then they have problem.

This in no way anything against his builds. The are being used by LEO's all over this country and for good cause and he know the platform and the business.

I am learning from many who know, that the new flight control waddings are all but antiquating choke. I don't use the flight control stuff, don't want them or need them as I use a shotgun for what it is, a shotgun and I find the patterns I get to be effective for my defense needs. There is a reason it is called a scatter gun. Others seem very impressed with 00 making one hole at a certain yardage. Me, if I want one hole I use a slug.
I was hoping you would chime in on this thread because I was pretty sure of what you were gonna say, and I agree with every word of it.

My shotgun is for home defense which is from bad breath to 20 yards inside my house. I want 00 buck to spread an inch per yard just like it's intended to. With that kind of spread at five yards and out I'll be putting 00 into the heart and both lungs of an intruder, that's the quickest route to incapacitation besides the snot box. There is nothing finer than a cylinder bore and 00 buck for that role. Why anyone would want a super tight group out of buckshot is beyond me.
DaleGribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:44.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 928
269 Members
659 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42