GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-24-2013, 15:57   #41
willieH

I picked this up the other day a Chinese SKS unissued.

General Firearms Forum
willieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 18:06   #42
The_Gun_Guru
Ban Democrats!!

willieH, that looks a lot like this one that I got at a gun show a few years back:

General Firearms Forum

Question: Where is the bayonet on yours? I don't even see a lug for one.

What gives?

TGG
Kalashnikov Klub #4519
OD G19 - LOTS of AKs - Only ONE AR....but it's a Colt!
NO AMNESTY FOR ILLEGAL ALIENS!!!
This is America. If you can't or won't speak English, PLEASE LEAVE!!!
The_Gun_Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:25   #43
willieH

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Gun_Guru View Post
willieH, that looks a lot like this one that I got at a gun show a few years back:

General Firearms Forum

Question: Where is the bayonet on yours? I don't even see a lug for one.

What gives?

TGG
I looked at several used versions complete with bayonet, but preferred this unissued rifle. I'm planing to replace the short stock with something longer and didn't want a bayonet.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:26   #44
The_Gun_Guru
Ban Democrats!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by willieH View Post
I looked at several used versions complete with bayonet, but preferred this unissued rifle. I'm planing to replace the short stock with something longer and didn't want a bayonet.
Very cool

Are you going to stick with the wood or go synthetic?

TGG
Kalashnikov Klub #4519
Old 09-25-2013, 16:43   #45
willieH

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Gun_Guru View Post
Very cool

Are you going to stick with the wood or go synthetic?

TGG
I've been eyeing the TimberSmith Monte Carlo brown laminate.

General Firearms Forum
Old 09-25-2013, 17:54   #46
The_Gun_Guru
Ban Democrats!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by willieH View Post
I've been eyeing the TimberSmith Monte Carlo brown laminate.

General Firearms Forum

That is gorgeous!

TGG
Kalashnikov Klub #4519
Old 09-25-2013, 18:31   #47
CarlosC
I love guns!

It is not illegal to add a bayonet to a rifle.

Here's my de-banned MAK-90 with the Chinese-made, bolt-on, bayonet. That bayonet is specifically made for the Chinese AKs, conforming to the barrel profile and remaining FSB, clamping with bolts and the rear pin on the FSB. The only quirky thing about it is that the gun must have a barrel nut attached (not the slant brake). This will support the bayonet on the front.

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

I threaded the barrel at 1/2x28 and installed a custom nut.

General Firearms Forum

I had to make a custom washer to retain the cleaning rod. You can see it installed in the picture above.

General Firearms Forum

Last edited by CarlosC; 09-25-2013 at 18:35..
CarlosC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:24   #48
Ceapea

A few questions about AK 47's...old vs. newer rebuilds

I am looking to get into the AK world.
I have reading about and researching them for a little while now and have a few questions for those of you who know something about them.

I often wondered what made an AK "original" or "correct".
Chinese, Yugo, Russian, etc...
Are the Norinco and Polytech's as real as they get? Or are they a variant that is not as good as or maybe better than the original AK's? Again, what is an "original"?
I have a friend who was bitten by the U.S. Service Rifle bug and that's all he is buying now a days. He has seven AK rifles, all in Norinco and/or Polytech, that he is thinking of selling.

I have been looking at a bunch of the CAI imported PAP, NPAP and OPAP rifles and there are a ton of opinions out there as to which is best. My question is this, are the newer, rebuilds as good as or better than the Norinco or Polytech rifles? Or are the new ones nowhere near those in quality. I have heard that the WASR's may not be the way to go, I don't know.
I read about 1mm vs. 1.6mm thick receivers on the rebuilds and different trunnions on different receivers. What are the older rifles built on? Stamped vs. milled?

Also, is it an issue of quality? Are the Norinco and Polytech's built better or is it just a matter of nostalgia, with the newer rifles actually being built better?

I'm not so sure that a bayo lug is important to me. Another, 45 deg. vs. 90 deg gas blocks? Are there other "must haves" on AK's that I should be looking for?
Long question short, should I be looking at Norinco/Polytech rifles, or the latest rebuilds?

Sorry for the long post.
Thanks for your input.

Last edited by Ceapea; 10-01-2013 at 06:32..
Ceapea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:48   #49
susperia666

Norinco JW2005... very nice pump action, steel receiver.

General Firearms Forum
Attached Thumbnails
General Firearms Forum - Click for larger version  
susperia666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 14:37   #50
The_Gun_Guru
Ban Democrats!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceapea View Post
I have reading about and researching them for a little while now and have a few questions for those of you who know something about them.

Are the Norinco and Polytech's as real as they get? Or are they a variant that is not as good as or maybe better than the original AK's? Again, what is an "original"?
I have a friend who was bitten by the U.S. Service Rifle bug and that's all he is buying now a days. He has seven AK rifles, all in Norinco and/or Polytech, that he is thinking of selling.

I have been looking at a bunch of the CAI imported PAP, NPAP and OPAP rifles and there are a ton of opinions out there as to which is best. My question is this, are the newer, rebuilds as good as or better than the Norinco or Polytech rifles? Or are the new ones nowhere near those in quality. I have heard that the WASR's may not be the way to go, I don't know.
I read about 1mm vs. 1.6mm thick receivers on the rebuilds and different trunnions on different receivers. What are the older rifles built on? Stamped vs. milled?

Also, is it an issue of quality? Are the Norinco and Polytech's built better or is it just a matter of nostalgia, with the newer rifles actually being built better?

I'm not so sure that a bayo lug is important to me. Another, 45 deg. vs. 90 deg gas blocks? Are there other "must haves" on AK's that I should be looking for?
Long question short, should I be looking at Norinco/Polytech rifles, or the latest rebuilds?

Sorry for the long post.
Thanks for your input.

If you are asking "what is the original AK" then the answer is the Russian select fire AK-47 invented by Mikael Kalashnikov in 1947.

As far as "copies" go, the Chinese did it best!!!!!

All these CAI builds are built from parts kits and are NOT always the best quality (although they have gotten better over the years).

My advice: try to buy one of your friend's Norincos. They will NEVER lose value, they will only gain value! If he wants too much I have heard good things about the Yugo PAP rifles and pistols.

Good luck in your search

TGG
Kalashnikov Klub #4519

Last edited by The_Gun_Guru; 10-01-2013 at 14:39..
Old 10-01-2013, 15:36   #51
CarlosC
I love guns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceapea View Post

Sorry for the long post.
Thanks for your input.
That's quite the tall order. "Original" and "Correct" are kind of hard to define in 'our' AK world and I have my opinions that may conflict with others.
You see, 'our' AK world is what 99.9% of us can reasonably get, and that's not a 1951 Russian AK. Realistically, we can only get a pretty good variety of semi-autos, and the Russians are actually late in getting in the game here in the US.
Original, to me, is the way the gun came into the US originally. That gets muddy when you look at the Chinese AKs because of the MAK. MAK-90s originally came to the US with no ban-era neutering and then were neutered to conform to the existing law until they were banned completely. So, for the MAKs, original is either the way it came in prior to 1990 or after it was neutered and re-labeled MAK.
That goes for "correct" too...a correct AK is unmolested. That is, the lug is there, the gun accepts a double-stack mag, has muzzle threads, and does not have some thumbhole stock.
That gets even more complicated because AKs now come in several flavors. You have those that are imported (like the Russians) and then made to conform to 922r by having several parts replaced with US parts. They can never be "original", but they remain "correct". Does that make sense???
Another flavor would be the ones that are made from parts kits using as many original commie parts as are available or have not been further banned. The quality here really depends on the origin and consistency of the kits and the builder. Welcome to the post-ban era.
In the pre-ban era, the few AKs that did come in were very close to the authentic full autos as possible. Really, the only thing separating them from their full-auto counterparts were the parts (and hole) to make them full auto. Most of these were Chinese, with a few rare Yugos, some Egyptian, and some Hungarian, off the top of my head.
Of course there is always an exception and there were some semi-auto Chinese AKs that made it into the US with the hole for the auto components (albeit with an easily removable rivet in the hole) and simply lacked the full auto parts.

Receivers...the first AK receivers were stamped, followed by two different types of milled, then stamped (AKM). As for AKMs, they are either 1mm (most) or 1.6mm (Chinese, and Yugo). Stamped AKs use different barrels, trunnions, etc., than milled, however there are some that combine features of both, like the Chinese and Yugos. They use stamped receivers with AK components.

Gas blocks: 45 degree were originally used, but the newer AKs use 90 degree. That was a result of the switch to the AK-74, although there are exceptions (Romanian).

As you can see, the AK world seems to follow a standard, but there are exceptions to nearly every norm.

What you should be looking for depends on what you want and can spend. Preban AKs will run a lot of money, especially milled versions, but are correct. Newer ones have US parts, but are excellent quality, especially the Russian and Yugos.

I hope that helps. I would encourage you to go over to the Kalashnikov Klub and look through the reference material. It might answer some more questions. Here's my guide to AKs http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1183387 and my guide to Chinese AKs http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1185250

Last edited by CarlosC; 10-01-2013 at 15:43..
CarlosC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:08   #52
Ceapea

Thanks to both The_Gun_Guru and CarlosC!

That did answer many of my questions. And CarlosC, great posts too, the two links provided.

At this time, my friend with the Norinco and Polytech AK's has changed his mind about selling them, for the time being.

So my other friend and I are looking at the NPAP and OPAP rebuilds by CAI and others.
Right now, we can get NPAP's for $569 and shipping.
No hurry though, I want to be sure to get at least a decent rifle.

Thanks again for the great posts.
Ceapea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 20:19   #53
The_Gun_Guru
Ban Democrats!!

BUMP......

because it's my thread......and my 84S is four feet away and it's gorgeous!!!!!!

TGG
Kalashnikov Klub #4519

Last edited by The_Gun_Guru; 10-17-2013 at 20:20..

Tags
norinco, polytech, promag, type 56, type 84