Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-17-2013, 22:59   #1
USAF96815

Starbucks saying no to weapons now.

An Open Letter from Howard Schultz, CEO of Starbucks Coffee Company

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Posted by Howard Schultz, Starbucks chairman, president and chief executive officer

Dear Fellow Americans,

Few topics in America generate a more polarized and emotional debate than guns. In recent months, Starbucks stores and our partners (employees) who work in our stores have been thrust unwillingly into the middle of this debate. That’s why I am writing today with a respectful request that customers no longer bring firearms into our stores or outdoor seating areas.

From the beginning, our vision at Starbucks has been to create a “third place” between home and work where people can come together to enjoy the peace and pleasure of coffee and community. Our values have always centered on building community rather than dividing people, and our stores exist to give every customer a safe and comfortable respite from the concerns of daily life.
We appreciate that there is a highly sensitive balance of rights and responsibilities surrounding America’s gun laws, and we recognize the deep passion for and against the “open carry” laws adopted by many states. (In the United States, “open carry” is the term used for openly carrying a firearm in public.) For years we have listened carefully to input from our customers, partners, community leaders and voices on both sides of this complicated, highly charged issue.

Our company’s longstanding approach to “open carry” has been to follow local laws: we permit it in states where allowed and we prohibit it in states where these laws don’t exist. We have chosen this approach because we believe our store partners should not be put in the uncomfortable position of requiring customers to disarm or leave our stores. We believe that gun policy should be addressed by government and law enforcement—not by Starbucks and our store partners.

Recently, however, we’ve seen the “open carry” debate become increasingly uncivil and, in some cases, even threatening. Pro-gun activists have used our stores as a political stage for media events misleadingly called “Starbucks Appreciation Days” that disingenuously portray Starbucks as a champion of “open carry.” To be clear: we do not want these events in our stores. Some anti-gun activists have also played a role in ratcheting up the rhetoric and friction, including soliciting and confronting our customers and partners.

For these reasons, today we are respectfully requesting that customers no longer bring firearms into our stores or outdoor seating areas—even in states where “open carry” is permitted—unless they are authorized law enforcement personnel.

I would like to clarify two points. First, this is a request and not an outright ban. Why? Because we want to give responsible gun owners the chance to respect our request—and also because enforcing a ban would potentially require our partners to confront armed customers, and that is not a role I am comfortable asking Starbucks partners to take on. Second, we know we cannot satisfy everyone. For those who oppose “open carry,” we believe the legislative and policy-making process is the proper arena for this debate, not our stores.

For those who champion “open carry,” please respect that Starbucks stores are places where everyone should feel relaxed and comfortable. The presence of a weapon in our stores is unsettling and upsetting for many of our customers.

I am proud of our country and our heritage of civil discourse and debate. It is in this spirit that we make today’s request. Whatever your view, I encourage you to be responsible and respectful of each other as citizens and neighbors.

Sincerely,
Howard Schultz

http://www.starbucks.com/blog/an-ope...d-schultz/1268
USAF96815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 23:01   #2
itisbruno
CLM Number 103
Devious Member

Isn't that special.

Click HERE
daily to give food for animals in a shelter or sanctuary...for FREE
itisbruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 23:10   #3
ray9898

I called that one a few months back. A retail company does not want to be in the middle of divisive topic. The goal of a company in that segment is to grow their customer base which certainly means not alienating large segments. As soon as people started using their brand as a soap box I knew it was coming.

Last edited by ray9898; 09-17-2013 at 23:17..
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 23:15   #4
mrmedina
NRA Member

I guess no more Starbucks for me, does this stop the 100's of thousands cups a day.........nope. Yet I'm just tired of the Hoplophobia people.

Big Dawg #1406, Sub Club #104
Kalashnikov Klub# 1105, Black Rifle Forum #1105
mrmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 23:18   #5
HiddenEyes
It can be done

I know they don't want to upset either side but I'm sure they'll be unable to please both sides on this.

Mr. HE

Moi Нет sprechen español
HiddenEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 23:21   #6
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

From the article: "...I would like to clarify two points. First, this is a request and not an outright ban. ..."

Concealed means concealed. Open carry enthusiast, SOMETIMES, fail to consider the nuances of garnering wider, public support.

In support of their CONTINUING decision to not ban firearms from their stores, I'll still stop at "six-bucks" on occasion like I normally do.
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"You gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" - Josey Wales

Last edited by Peace Warrior; 09-17-2013 at 23:24..
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 23:27   #7
Fox
Varmit Control

Buying coffee, tea, or pastries with $2 bills was enough of a statement. The open carry guys had to push the envelope and now the anti-gun side have a moral victory as Starbucks just caved in to their political pressure.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 23:28   #8
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmedina View Post
I guess no more Starbucks for me, does this stop the 100's of thousands cups a day.........nope. Yet I'm just tired of the Hoplophobia people.
Really? I dont think the man could be any more reasonable.

You rub something in someones face enough and it will probably backfire. Which is what is happening to a lot of the open carry folks.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 23:30   #9
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
Buying coffee, tea, or pastries with $2 bills was enough of a statement. The open carry guys had to push the envelope and now the anti-gun side have a moral victory as Starbucks just caved in to their political pressure.
Again, how is this "pro" or "anti" or anyone caving. This is about not wanting a business used as a political tool for other peoples agenda.

If I owned a business that didnt take a stand on abortion and because of that one side of the abortion debate starting using my business for their agenda, I would want them to stop as well....no matter what my personal opinion on the issue is.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Old 09-17-2013, 23:30   #10
ray9898

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
You rub something in someones face enough and it will probably backfire. Which is what is happening to a lot of the open carry folks.
Yet they scratch their heads and act shocked every time.

Last edited by ray9898; 09-17-2013 at 23:37..
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 23:35   #11
Kalmah
Supreme Member

Starbucks isn't saying no to weapons, they're saying no to open carry.
Old 09-17-2013, 23:35   #12
Kevinr20

These weren't the regular, everyday open carriers that made this happen. They were the idiots who slung rifles over their shoulders and went into starbucks pretending to be there solely to support starbucks. They took advantage of their policy and forced them to change it.
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samuel Adams, August 20, 1789
Kevinr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 23:38   #13
Fox
Varmit Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
Again, how is this "pro" or "anti" or anyone caving. This is about not wanting a business used as a political tool for other peoples agenda.

If I owned a business that didnt take a stand on abortion and because of that one side of the abortion debate starting using my business for their agenda, I would want them to stop as well....no matter what my personal opinion on the issue is.
They used to be neutral and just went with state laws. Now the guns are unwelcome and it will soon be posted "no guns allowed".
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 23:44   #14
Kevinr20

Quote:
They used to be neutral and just went with state laws. Now the guns are unwelcome and it will soon be posted "no guns allowed".
I can't blame them at all. Both sides forced them in the middle of the debate. If open carry guys would have just walked in, bought coffee and left with a thank you, nothing would have changed. But they set up booths outside their stores, turning the entire situation into a political rally, inviting the opposing side to rally too.
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samuel Adams, August 20, 1789
Kevinr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 23:48   #15
G23Gen4TX

He's covering his behind so the anti gun crowd will get off it.

However, if they post 30.06 signs here in TX (banning CCW) then they can shove their crappy coffee.

We should open cowboy coffee where guns are welcomed.
G23Gen4TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 23:50   #16
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
I can not care about something...until someone makes me have to care about it.

No matter how you feel about guns (and it is safe to say that the people on Glock Talk are very pro) but if you own a national company, people slinging AR's on their back or staging open carry demonstrations at your store is simply not good for business.

Lets be honest, the "I want it my way" selfishness of some within the open carry crowd caused this, not the "Just leave my business alone" crowd.

Old 09-17-2013, 23:58   #17
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalmah View Post
Starbucks isn't saying no to weapons, they're saying no to open carry.
Not even this.

They are asking the Open Carry bunch to NOT make their statements, en mass, at six-bucks store locations.
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"You gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" - Josey Wales
Peace Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 00:02   #18
vart

Very well-reasoned letter and I will continue to avoid my local Starbucks due to the expensive coffee and dirty hippies and not due to their position on this issue...

"That's a big bite of crap sandwich, my friend..."

Rabbi - "Anyways, that is a beautiful car. Bill probably already farted in it."
vart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 00:07   #19
HiddenEyes
It can be done

My local starbucks runs a hunters special every year at the beginning of deer season. Not exactly a pansy liberal thing to do and I'm sure it upsets some of the bambi lovers.

Mr. HE

Moi Нет sprechen español
HiddenEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 00:20   #20
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray9898 View Post
Yet they scratch their heads and act shocked every time.
At least they can kill two birds with one stone since their heads and their rears occupy the same space.
Old 09-18-2013, 00:20   #21
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Screw Starbucks Coffee. Their coffee suck ass anyway.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 09-18-2013, 00:21   #22
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon44 View Post
At least they can kill two birds with one stone since their heads and their rears occupy the same space.
Ooooohhhhhh, the appeasers are upset at gun rights supporters again. How cute.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 09-18-2013, 00:33   #23
elsolo

Open carry protests are almost always a stupid tactic for gun rights supporters.
It has a history of failure.
elsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 00:42   #24
USAF96815

5 dollar bet that if you show up open carry or they see you are CCWing and aren't a LEO when they ask, they will ask you to leave.
USAF96815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 00:49   #25
G23Gen4TX

Open carry could have pre...

Oh, never mind. It caused this.
G23Gen4TX is offline   Reply With Quote