Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:18   #1
GLOCK30JOHN

PUP malware

I posted this over in the Tech forum also but hoping for quick replies and help with this so I can stop it before it causes damage to my system. I am running Windows XP.
Yesterday I noticed my computer running very slow and wouldn't connect to the internet. Im running Kaspersky AV 2013 and definitions are up to date. I ran a scan and it showed no threats.I did a system restore of a previous day (3 days back) and everything seemed ok. I have a free copy of Malwarebytes installed. I updated it and ran a quick scan. It found 789 threats of something called PUP was in my documents/settings. I deleted them out, reset my Firefox home page which had been changed to some blank AVG page. Overnight I ran the full scan(5 hrs) on Malwarebytes and it showed the same 789 objects PUP again. I deleted them again and ran a AV scan and the AV scan found nothing. What is this PUP malware? How harmful is this and why does Kaspersky not pick it up or block it? How do I get rid of it Hijackthis? Any useful programs to get rid of it?
GLOCK30JOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:35   #2
Resqu2

pup is potentially unwanted programs and Malwarebytes should get rid of them but make sure each one is checked or it wont remove them.

edit to add Malwarebytes just updated the way they handle pups, that's you so many are now showing up, they did this in July of this year.

Last edited by Resqu2; 09-17-2013 at 06:38..
Resqu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:40   #3
md2lgyk

There are a couple of free programs that may help you. One is ADW Cleaner; the other is Junkware Removal Tool. I have used them both and they seem effective. My wife's laptop was pretty hosed up after our granddaughter borrowed it for a while and downloaded all manner of garbage. These two programs took care of everything.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:45   #4
Never Nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
There are a couple of free programs that may help you. One is ADW Cleaner; the other is Junkware Removal Tool. I have used them both and they seem effective. My wife's laptop was pretty hosed up after our granddaughter borrowed it for a while and downloaded all manner of garbage. These two programs took care of everything.
Good info. I've got two granddaughters so I know what you mean.

NN
Old 09-17-2013, 07:29   #5
BigDog[RE]
NRA Member

More than likely you are not killing the virus itself because you have a root kit installed. One thing you can do is download tdsskiller from Kaspersky. This is a an anti root kit utility. basically run that first to see what it finds, and then run a full malwarebytes scan.

http://support.kaspersky.com/us/5350#block3

It sounds like you are infected with the pup whitesmoke malware. A lot of times this does come with a root kit, so run the app I mentioned above and it should get it.
BigDog[RE] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:39   #6
GLOCK30JOHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog[RE] View Post
More than likely you are not killing the virus itself because you have a root kit installed. One thing you can do is download tdsskiller from Kaspersky. This is a an anti root kit utility. basically run that first to see what it finds, and then run a full malwarebytes scan.

It sounds like you are infected with the pup whitesmoke malware. A lot of times this does come with a root kit, so run the app I mentioned above and it should get it.

Ok I will give that a try also. I am running Super Antispyware now and so far this is what is telling me

no registry threats found
no memory items threats found

file items 917 threats that are as follows

trojan.dropper/win-nv 2 items
trojan.agent/gen 1 item
malware.installer-pkg/gen 15 items
adware,tracking cookie 899 items
Old 09-17-2013, 08:02   #7
GLOCK30JOHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog[RE] View Post

I just ran the tdsskiller and it found no threats, The Super Antispyware deleted the items it found, I am now running malwarebytes full scan. Thank you for your help.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:06   #8
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Nervous View Post
Good info. I've got two granddaughters so I know what you mean.

NN
I only have one, but when she gets a hold of my laptop.......
Old 09-17-2013, 09:04   #9
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
There are a couple of free programs that may help you.
I can think of one in particular..

http://www.ubuntu.com
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:51   #10
aircarver
Silver Membership
Ride Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
I can think of one in particular..

http://www.ubuntu.com
...LOL ....

They'd created a vast, permanently unemployed underclass, dependent upon the Republic's stupendous welfare machine for its very existence, and in so doing, they'd sown the seeds of their own destruction. No one could place two-thirds of a world's population on the Dole and keep them there forever without the entire system crashing . . . but how in hell did one get them off the Dole? -David Weber, Flag in Exile
aircarver is offline   Reply With Quote