SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-16-2013, 21:19   #1
Kadetklapp
Methberry PD

How to fend off personal attacks and frivolous complaints

Any of you guys that work a small town or specific beat, what are the best tools to deal with those dregs that go for the throat and get personal? Not just threats of physical harm but just the head games and scat that mopes use to catch cops off guard? A bit broad I know...

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Kadetklapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 21:29   #2
Ohio Cop

Hook em for it.

Menacing here. They threaten you or your family, even vaguely. Get em.

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Ohio Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 21:55   #3
AZ Husker

I used this every time I took a DB down...Scream at the top of your lungs "Please leave me alone, I don't want to hurt you" as I'm kicking his ass. People will rember what they hear and it will confuse what they see. I've used that in the old days before I served and it worked like a charm. The witnesses know he is a problem, so you are well ahead of the game. I've taught the same technique to my daughters whether they had to use a striking technique or pulling their gun.
Old 09-16-2013, 22:24   #4
Pepper45

Defend against frivolous complaints very vigorously. Involve your union or PBA as soon as possible. Demand that the brass does what they're supposed to do, and follows all of the procedures for taking and investigating a complaint. Sometimes weak supervisors will take a BS verbal complaint, just to make it look to the complainant like they're doing something about a "problem", when it's just regular police work. Hold everyone accountable, including yourself. Fight, fight, fight any BS complaints. Know your policy manual forwards, backwards, and be able to recite pertinent passages.

If someone threatens you or your family, explain to them in no uncertain terms that will be the last act of their lives should they choose to go through with it. I had a guy who said he was going to find where I lived, and screw with my family. I pulled over, activated my digital voice recorder, and asked him to repeat it. He did. I told him then that if I saw him in the vicinity of my home (outside of where I work) that I would assume he was a deadly threat, and would deal with him appropriately. I told him I was recording it to document the reason I'd shoot him if necessary. He stopped threatening me after that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Pepper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 23:09   #5
collim1
Shower Time!

Remain professional no matter what, something I sometimes have trouble with. Thugs don't respect the cops they can piss off, and most of the mouth spouting about suing and threatening is to piss you off or make you second guess yourself, or worse make you smack em while they are in handcuffs. You do that and you giving them exactly what they want...a check from the city and your employment.

Do your job, use force when necessary, but always be professional and show respect. Respect doesn't mean speak to them in your boyfriend voice, just treat them like a man and always maintain control.

The only times I have ever gotten in trouble at work is when I got pissed off and lost my freaking head. When you start finger pointing and screaming you lose in their mind, period.

In my state threatening falls under the harassment statute. However, the courts have help up that the threat has to be "credible" despite that word not being in the statute. Being drunk and mad is enough for the judge to rule out the "credible threat" part and toss the case in most instances. I have never bothered with it except for one that knew where I lived, that made it "credible" and he was given a fine, no jail time. Why waste my time?
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:36   #6
x_out86

I record pretty much so everything I do on video/audio with my squad video camera. This has been useful MANY times when some jackass wants to file a complaint against me until they found out that our entire conversation was recorded.

When they get personal with me, I usually just ignore it which pisses them off more than anything. I usually chalk it up to nothing but talk trying to get a rise out of me. There have been a few times that I had reason to believe that they MIGHT actually be serious and then we had a very candid conversation about how if they come anywhere near my property or family it will likely be one of the last things they do on this earth. I have usually had their threat and our conversation recorded, and absolutely make sure that I document any threats in my report. Simple but important thing to remember, if its not documented in your report, it didnt happen.
I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker.
x_out86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:19   #7
scottydl

Smaller towns/jurisdictions can be tougher, because these might be people you see every single day. But as others have said, you have to commit to swift, certain, and severe consequences for any infraction. Let the guys know, professionally, that he has your undivided attention. Also give your SA/DA's Office a call with a heads up on the situation, hopefully for some prosecutorial support if/when it comes time to arrest for Intimidation or your state's equivalent.
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:24   #8
ateamer
NRA4EVR

Treat even the dirtbags with respect, even after you have to use significant force on them. Always be honest. Keep your word to people. Fight every false complaint and do all you can to make sure the DA goes all the way on the case that the complaint came out of.
Know-it-all
ateamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 13:10   #9
GWSHARK
BITEYAHEADOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
I used this every time I took a DB down...Scream at the top of your lungs "Please leave me alone, I don't want to hurt you" as I'm kicking his ass. People will rember what they hear and it will confuse what they see. I've used that in the old days before I served and it worked like a charm. The witnesses know he is a problem, so you are well ahead of the game. I've taught the same technique to my daughters whether they had to use a striking technique or pulling their gun.
Ahh... the ole GZ technique. Tough one to counter.
GWSHARK is offline   Reply With Quote