SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:01   #1
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache

Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
Whats the worse pain you've ever been in...

Let's see I've been shot twice, one botched stomach surgery, one shoulder surgery, hit broad side by a drunk driver going 80 MPH, knee surgery

but the worse was when I had a wisdom tooth pulled and developed dry socket, I was begging to be killed, the pain was in my left eye felt like a hot poker, took pain meds but they took twenty minutes to act, worst 20 min of my life....
As Stephen F. Roberts so famously said speaking with a Christian apologist "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
Dalton Wayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:05   #2
Gonetodarkside
owl protector

shattered femur
Gonetodarkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:31   #3
johnd

Send a message via ICQ to johnd
shot, stabbed, motorcycle crashes etc but yes the worst may have been the abscessed tooth. Thought I was having a heart attack to the point of pulling over in the car and dialing 911.
the extensive cancer surgery hurt too now that I come to think of that. They took most of the calf and rejoined the muscle together with wires until they grew back together again.
As I got older I got smarter too, learned that when one is really hurt and recuperating, make sure to be near a bathroom. Far more important than a pretty bed...........

Last edited by johnd; 09-16-2013 at 12:36..
johnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:32   #4
Jack23
I. B. Glockin'

I have two. The first was my left leg broken out at the knee in a Motocross race. That was 38 years ago. Bones stick out of bloody flesh and every thing. The second was a burn from a 50 lb steam hose in the chemical plant I worked in.

The knee was undescribeable. The pain plus the psychological aspect of seeing my leg like that and I'll never forget it. Months in a cast and years of rehab. 20 years later a full replacement of the knee and 4 years after that a revision. All the years of therapy and healing and learning how to walk 3 extra times over the years.

But believe it or not I do believe the steam burn although it was of a much briefer duration was the most intense and blinding pain I've ever known. It was just a spot the size of a half dollar on my side and an area under my arm but I actually prayed for the release of death. I have let all my family know that if I'm ever burned badly I do NOT want to be saved. Let me go quick. I mean it. I ain't havin' that much fun anyway and it would not be worth suffering for 5 minutes to gain another 20 years of life. There are things worse than death and surviving a bad burn must surely be one of them.
G-17, G-23, G-21, G-36, Ruger blackhawk, ss, Ruger 10/22, Ruger Mark II, Ruger SP101, British Webley MKI .455, Kel-Tec P32, S&W top break .38, S&W 24-3 .44spl N frame Colt 1903 .32, Heritage .22 Combo, Colt AR-15, LE6920.
Jack23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:35   #5
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Somebody hurt my feelings once.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:35   #6
GlockViking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton Wayne View Post
Let's see I've been shot twice, one botched stomach surgery, one shoulder surgery, hit broad side by a drunk driver going 80 MPH, knee surgery

but the worse was when I had a wisdom tooth pulled and developed dry socket, I was begging to be killed, the pain was in my left eye felt like a hot poker, took pain meds but they took twenty minutes to act, worst 20 min of my life....
When my appendix finally gave out (no rupture luckily) it was like the WORST gas pain I had ever had...times 100!
Fix Reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve the homage of reason than of blindfolded fear. -- Thomas Jefferson
GlockViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:36   #7
Detectorist

Kidney stones.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place”. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:37   #8
Detectorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
Somebody hurt my feelings once.
I'm so sorry.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place”. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:40   #9
fgutie35

Grew up in Mexico, so yeah; shot, stabbed, beat up and left for dead by Judicial Police, 2nd degree burn when a gas tank blew on my hand, almost every limb broken at one point. None of those was as painful as the moment my L4 hernianted disk ruptured in the middle of a working day.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:44   #10
9jeeps
Fogey

When I came to the end of the chain!!!
9jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:47   #11
racerford

I had a hang nail once. Ouch that hurt like the dickens (sp?).

The worst was a kidney stone. It hurt so bad I wanted to throw up. That's a lot because I have thrown up maybe 3 times in the last 50 years.
racerford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:49   #12
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

The worst was the pain from brain swelling caused by a subdural hematoma.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:50   #13
Gonzoso

cumulatively? Hangovers.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:54   #14
FullClip
CLM Number 171
NRA Benefactor

Guess I'm pretty lucky...no bones sticking through my skin, but the "bad back" deal where it took me an hour to get out of the bed and crawl my way across the walls to the bathroom...lost about a week out of my life before I got back to normal.

Wasn't my bones, but muscle spasms. Once I found out I take a whole lot more care of my "core".

I've had burns, shocks, broken fingers and toes, wicked good head whacks (best was walking full speed into the raised forks on a fork lift..).....but always could shake them off pretty quick...but the paralysis of the back pain was the only thing that made me think about checking out early if it didn't get better.

Be careful out there folks! Nothing sux much more that real pain.

The good thing about pain is when you realize it's pretty much gone.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:57   #15
Dave514

I jammed my kneecap into an I-Beam that made me black out for a second but short term pain is no comparison to unrelenting pain like a kidney stone or tooth pain. I've had migraine headaches that make you think 'if this is going to kill me, I wish it would hurry up'. And I don't think that compares to severe extensive burns. I've had many severe short term pains but not so many unrelenting issues. Thank goodness.
Dave514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:57   #16
Royo
BCPD

Had a couple of bouts with kidney stones. First time they had to go get it and than put in a stint I had for two weeks . The worst pain /uncomfortable feeling I have ever had in my life.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 09-16-2013, 12:59   #17
Fear Night
NRA Life Member

Kidney stones
Fear Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 13:01   #18
kiole

Kidney stones. When I was 20 it got so bad and so frequent I had to withdraw from college for the semester. I was constantly peeing blood and in severe pain. One day it went away, they were tiny but hurt so bad. I'd literally lay on the floor in tears from the pain.

Nothing like being twenty and telling my mom I need her to drive me to the hospital because my dick was bleeding badly.

Last edited by kiole; 09-16-2013 at 14:34..
kiole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 13:10   #19
GLWyandotte
Carbon User

Kidney stones or after I cut my thigh to the bone with a chainsaw. It wasn't the cut that hurt so much, it was when the Dr spread open the muscle and scrubbed out the sawdust, ripped up pants material and bar oil- and then stuck syringes in the meat to numb it. That hurt.

Formerly Glockerel, 2003
GLWyandotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 13:10   #20
Black Dog Coffee

Kidney stone here, too. It wasn't diagnosed until just before I passed it so no pain meds.
Black Dog Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 13:16   #21
FullClip
CLM Number 171
NRA Benefactor

Seems like at least so far, the kidney stones have it.

Glad I drink a lot of beer and cranberry juice!!

(at least that were the two choices my bother in law was given by his doctor when he had them....guess which way he went......)
Old 09-16-2013, 13:16   #22
ColdSteelNail

I broke an ankle sliding into second when I was 15. I didn't know it was broken until I stood up and put my weight on it. That's when the pain hit. Neither cancer surgery nor cardiac bypass surgery came close.
ColdSteelNail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 13:22   #23
inthefrey
Moved on...

THIS.....
inthefrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 13:46   #24
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton Wayne View Post
Whats the worse pain you've ever been in... ....
For me it was getting shot, hands down. I had body armor on, but still had my sternum shattered, ribs torn loose and other damage, both lungs collapsed, etc. Almost 5 years later I'm still on heavy-duty pain meds because of it. When it first happened I didn't think the human body could produce that much pain.

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

RIP my friends Greg and Florence, see you again on the other side.
RIP Jeff (23Skidoo) - 1962-2012 and Gloria (Silent_Runner) - 1964-2013
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Lone_Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 14:09   #25
hd67xlch

Kidney stones here also, but damn you got me scared now about the dry tooth socket, I had # 19 lower tooth extracted this morning after a root canal a few months ago that didnt work.