GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-15-2013, 14:26   #1
SiberianErik

I got bite by a hog in the face (maybe graphic)

So I was doing some hog culling a bit yesterday on my lease. I was alone (18,000 acre) lease and restocking my deer feeders. The hogs/bears have been seriously trolling my deer stands/feeders.

My timers feed at 6:45 a, noon and 7:45p I was there at 19:45 hrs last evening waiting for the hogs to show up so I could introduce it to some 5.7MM

A big nasty blk male showed up alone so I took him, he moved right before I shot from about 75 ft, usually I go for right behind the ear and a bit low..the shot went high and I guess stunned him. He ran about 30 yds into the bush, I followed the blood trail. He was laying motionless and I thought he was DRT

I went to lift him onto my ATV rack and he came to life and chomped down on my lower jaw in a FLASH

We both went to the ground, w/my face in his jaw..I was losing the fight now. The blood was gushing and I could feel the meat/tissue hanging in the breeze. The small puncture wound from his lower tooth hurts like the devil.

I threw him off me and put 10 rounds into him of 40Gr V-Max.

So here are a few pics post clean up..the wife was like WTF !!!! happened. I have my Oral Board interview tomorrow for my "dream agency" and I have a state certification license exam in the afternoon...great.

What are the odds of infection ??should I goto the ER and get stitches or tough it out ?? I have no fever right now and am taking prophylactics 500 Mg Cipro PO BID, Hydrocodone 10mg/325 PO QID and flushing the wound PRN w/Hydro peroxide..

any advice.

Oh yeah Open Carry would have prevented this..I was OCing and it didnt help
Ed Brown 1911 fan #1
HK45 fan #2
FN PS90SBR/FiveSeven fan#3

Last edited by SiberianErik; 09-16-2013 at 14:58..
SiberianErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 14:31   #2
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

Rule of thumb when hunting something that can fight back... if it looks dead, put one in the head just to make sure.
Glock20 10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 14:34   #3
GLK8876919
Lifetime Membership
Confused...

a hog's mouth ain't the most anti-bacterial place on earth, but sounds like you got the goods, Cipro ain't the best but it will work. Sounds like you need help with that hog population. PM me and i'll be glad to relieve you of some...
GLK8876919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 14:43   #4
SiberianErik

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLK8876919 View Post
a hog's mouth ain't the most anti-bacterial place on earth, but sounds like you got the goods, Cipro ain't the best but it will work. Sounds like you need help with that hog population. PM me and i'll be glad to relieve you of some...
I was trying to get some people for a hog hunt free for all before deer season started but ran out of time, the lease is 18,875 acres located in Central FL...15 miles west then a 12 mile trail drive north of world famous Daytona Intl Speedway. We can hear the cars from our camp.

I share the lease w/ my FIL, BIL, and two other people so plenty of room. We have a 4 mile long road cut by a timber company that is nice, straight and level. That is our test firing range
Ed Brown 1911 fan #1
HK45 fan #2
Old 09-15-2013, 14:49   #5
deadmanglocking

I'd head to the er. Sounds like you are on the right track with the antibiotics but I've owned a hog and can tell you from experience their mouths are DIRTY. An infection on the face can get really nasty really fast. It can move to the bone or sinus/orbital area etc..just my $0.02.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
deadmanglocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 14:54   #6
GLK8876919
Lifetime Membership
Confused...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiberianErik View Post
I was trying to get some people for a hog hunt free for all before deer season started but ran out of time, the lease is 18,875 acres located in Central FL...15 miles west then a 12 mile trail drive north of world famous Daytona Intl Speedway. We can hear the cars from our camp.

I share the lease w/ my FIL, BIL, and two other people so plenty of room. We have a 4 mile long road cut by a timber company that is nice, straight and level. That is our test firing range
well i didn't hear an invite, but i'm very interested. i'm semi local, due WSW till you hit the water. let me know if i can buy ya a beer sometime.
Old 09-15-2013, 14:56   #7
*ASH*

i often wonder when folks get hurt they post on gt before seeking medical attention . im not knocking the OP , just something i often wonder .

yeah you need to go get stitches and meds . anything like that can get ugly quick .

hope it heals well .
Old 09-15-2013, 14:57   #8
tadbart
duuuuude.

Erik, we don't suture dog bites in the ER unless they're gaping. better for whatever is in there to drain out, and not abscess. something more like septra or keflex might be better for a nasty gash, but i'd keep going with the cipro anyhow if I was doing bush medicine on myself. keep it clean and dry. careful with the peroxide- it hurts good tissue, too. get some bacitracin or Neosporin ointment. good luck and get better.

lemme know about a post-deer season pig roundup- i'm over in Lake Co.

G19
pointy stick
sharp wit
tadbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 14:58   #9
glockin-45

Man, your lucky it did not get your throat. Only you can say if you want stiches or not, looks like you might have a scar either way. I'd go to the DR. and get some antibiotics, some times they don't like to close up a bite. Good luck.
glockin-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 14:59   #10
SiberianErik

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmanglocking View Post
I'd head to the er. Sounds like you are on the right track with the antibiotics but I've owned a hog and can tell you from experience their mouths are DIRTY. An infection on the face can get really nasty really fast. It can move to the bone or sinus/orbital area etc..just my $0.02.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
***** is starting to hit the fan
I am getting a bit Diaphoretic and my B/P is elevated to 134/92, pulse is 82 plus some nausea waves are coming thru I may be if I cannot stabilize my vitals
Ed Brown 1911 fan #1
HK45 fan #2
Old 09-15-2013, 15:08   #11
sourdough44

I don't know how big there are there, but I thought the 308 was the quintessential hog round? Hopefully your recovery goes well.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 15:09   #12
GLK8876919
Lifetime Membership
Confused...

sounds like somebody in the house has some Medical knowledge, but better safe than sorry. It's your Face!!!
Old 09-15-2013, 15:10   #13
SiberianErik

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadbart View Post
Erik, we don't suture dog bites in the ER unless they're gaping. better for whatever is in there to drain out, and not abscess. something more like septra or keflex might be better for a nasty gash, but i'd keep going with the cipro anyhow if I was doing bush medicine on myself. keep it clean and dry. careful with the peroxide- it hurts good tissue, too. get some bacitracin or Neosporin ointment. good luck and get better.

lemme know about a post-deer season pig roundup- i'm over in Lake Co.
Thank you !!! I figured as much, leave the wound open to drain, I have Amoxicillin 500 Mg on hand as well, should I change up maybe ??

Flushing w/ Hydro peroxide and topping it w/ Neosporin every 4 hours or PRN ..

The nausea is ramping up, just gave myself an IM injection of Phenergan 25 Mg
Ed Brown 1911 fan #1
HK45 fan #2

Last edited by SiberianErik; 09-15-2013 at 15:15..
Old 09-15-2013, 15:11   #14
Sniffler

I think I would ease on down to the ER. You don't know what bacteria was in that hogs mouth. At least at the hospital they can test to see what is swimming in your blood and target it with appropriate antibiotics. Don't wait. Keep us posted.
Old 09-15-2013, 15:12   #15
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
***** is starting to hit the fan
I am getting a bit Diaphoretic and my B/P is elevated to 134/92, pulse is 82 plus some nausea waves are coming thru I may be if I cannot stabilize my vitals
Dude, go to the ER. You've got a big interview tomorrow... if anything they'll give you something for pain that will help during the interview.

Of course, if it comes up, they can only look fondly at someone who wrestled with a hog.

Best wishes.

IGF
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 15:13   #16
SiberianErik

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLK8876919 View Post
sounds like somebody in the house has some Medical knowledge, but better safe than sorry. It's your Face!!!
That person would be me I am a shady tree/bush medic

I always keep a well stocked med kit in my bug out bad..on my ATV.

Will keep you in mind for some hog shooting after deer season. Our lease prohibits guests during seer season so...
Ed Brown 1911 fan #1
HK45 fan #2
Old 09-15-2013, 15:18   #17
GLK8876919
Lifetime Membership
Confused...

Quote:
That person would be me I am a shady tree/bush medic

I always keep a well stocked med kit in my bug out bad..on my ATV.

Will keep you in mind for some hog shooting after deer season. Our lease prohibits guests during seer season so...
all good and thanks. b safe bush man!
Old 09-15-2013, 15:18   #18
Redheadhunter21

I would go to do a urgent care or a clinic of some sort. Not ER quality, I don't think they would touch the wound, but they would run labs, and give you a script for antibiotics, and a good cleaning. I would pass on the peroxide and use saline soaked sterile gauze to clean it up and then put some neosporin or like on it.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Redheadhunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 15:20   #19
SiberianErik

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
Dude, go to the ER. You've got a big interview tomorrow... if anything they'll give you something for pain that will help during the interview.

Of course, if it comes up, they can only look fondly at someone who wrestled with a hog.

Best wishes.

IGF
Thx, I have a well stocked Rx med closet w/refrigerator incl Morphine, Demerol, Oxy/Hydrocodone, Toradol and boat loads of antibiotics..wound kits, surgery kits for quick field gun shot wounds, dental kits.etc..

B/P is still climbing pulse is picking up, fever is 100.0 I want to wait till after Breaking Bad if I can if I decide to head to the ED

wow looking at that first pic , you can really see the inflammation due to the trauma to the tissue, it is swollen as f* right now. It is that little BB sized puncture wound in the lower left that scares me. It is about .5 inches deep, happened as he sunk his lower "fang" lol or what ever into me as he held me tight w/his upper jaw.
Ed Brown 1911 fan #1
HK45 fan #2

Last edited by SiberianErik; 09-15-2013 at 15:26..
Old 09-15-2013, 15:21   #20
porschedog

Get to a doctor fast!
I got chomped by a little dog and shrugged it off. Three days later I had a nasty infection. Your wound is about 45,000 times worse.

NRA Life Member / Creepy-Ass Cracker
Florida Glockers #172126

Last edited by porschedog; 09-15-2013 at 15:22..
porschedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 15:21   #21
GoBigOrange

man, sorry this happened. If you need any help with the pig population let me know as well. I'm in Lake county, not too far from your lease it sounds like.
GoBigOrange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 15:23   #22
Sniffler

B/P is still climbing pulse is picking up, fever is 100.0 I want to wait till after Breaking Bad if I can if I decide to head to the ED[/QUOTE]

You aren't related to Dalton Wayne are you ?
Old 09-15-2013, 15:28   #23
SiberianErik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniffler View Post
B/P is still climbing pulse is picking up, fever is 100.0 I want to wait till after Breaking Bad if I can if I decide to head to the ED

You aren't related to Dalton Wayne are you ? [/QUOTE]

NO,..hey I used to live in Cullowhee
Ed Brown 1911 fan #1
HK45 fan #2
Old 09-15-2013, 15:31   #24
SiberianErik

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough44 View Post
I don't know how big there are there, but I thought the 308 was the quintessential hog round? Hopefully your recovery goes well.
Next time I am bring this w/me
Ed Brown 1911 fan #1
HK45 fan #2

Last edited by SiberianErik; 10-03-2013 at 23:29..
Old 09-15-2013, 15:31   #25
Sniffler

Quote:
You aren't related to Dalton Wayne are you ?
NO,..hey I used to live in Cullowhee [/QUOTE]
I live about 7 miles southeast of Canton.

Tags
rosiebitesman