Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:05   #1
Mike Rittenour

Scopes for Mini 14 in 5.56

Well Guys ive always wanted a mini 14, I took the plunge the other day and bought one, stainless with black synthetic stock, I love this gun! (5.56) Ive been told a couple of times now that if I put a scope on it, I have to use an AR scope. Is this true? Why or why not? And does anyone here have a mini with a scope that they would suggest?
Thanks, MIke
Old 09-15-2013, 07:04   #2
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

You can use what ever scope you like,........take a trip to PerfectUnion.com. It's a Mini 14 forum, all the info you need and more!
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:37   #3
FLA45fan

You can put any type of scope on it - but it would depend on your plans for it's use. I've had several through the years, the latest a SS with walnut stock that I use for home defense in the "AR unfriendly Empire Strikes Back State of NY." After the NYSafe Act came out I decided to bring the Mini to NY. In the past I had either a 3-9x40 for hunting or a EOTech red dot. This year I discovered the Burris MTAC, 1-4x red dot with rangefinding capabilities. Mine is the one with the Fastfire red dot and the PEPR mount - I think the package is the TAC30. Anyhow, the PEPR mount put the scope too high, so I use low rings and the Fastfire got moved to a Ruger PC9 carbine. The MTAC has the Ballistic CQ reticle for range finding out to 600 yards. I like it!
Old 09-15-2013, 08:06   #4
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Just whatever you do...buy a good nylon rope so you don't loose your new boat anchor!!!!

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:06   #5
FullClip
CLM Number 171
NRA Benefactor

The Mini-14 isn't known to be a long range varmint rifle, so I'd stay away from the high power stuff.

If I were you I'd think about one of these units.

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shoot...-hog-1-4x20mm/

Something new from Leupold...and they make good stuff. The low power will make it quick to come to target, and 4X is enough for almost all shooting at reasonable ranges. Plus, the scope is small, and won't look out of place on the small rifle and the "Hog-Plex" seems like it will not get lost in the branches and stuff in twilight hours.

If you go the "tactical" route, you'll have to pony up some serious cash for quality optics..

Mine is an old Ranch Rifle version and does pretty well within a couple hundred yards on cans and milk jugs. I've got a Leupold VX-3 1.5-5 on mine with a heavy duplex recticle. Just happened to have the scope laying around after taking it off a deer rifle...little bit pricey to grace a Mini-14, but it has been working very well for me.

The Mini's are nice guns....just make sure to use Ruger magazines and it should be 100%. Don't go for the cheap knock-off mags and you won't be sorry.
Old 09-17-2013, 19:58   #6
DJ Niner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullClip View Post
The Mini-14 isn't known to be a long range varmint rifle, so I'd stay away from the high power stuff.

If I were you I'd think about one of these units.

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shoot...-hog-1-4x20mm/

Something new from Leupold...and they make good stuff. The low power will make it quick to come to target, and 4X is enough for almost all shooting at reasonable ranges. Plus, the scope is small, and won't look out of place on the small rifle and the "Hog-Plex" seems like it will not get lost in the branches and stuff in twilight hours.

If you go the "tactical" route, you'll have to pony up some serious cash for quality optics..

Mine is an old Ranch Rifle version and does pretty well within a couple hundred yards on cans and milk jugs. I've got a Leupold VX-3 1.5-5 on mine with a heavy duplex recticle. Just happened to have the scope laying around after taking it off a deer rifle...little bit pricey to grace a Mini-14, but it has been working very well for me.

The Mini's are nice guns....just make sure to use Ruger magazines and it should be 100%. Don't go for the cheap knock-off mags and you won't be sorry.
Good advice, above.

I'd suggest a 1-4x, 1.5-4x, 1.5-5x, or at most, a small 2-7x scope for a carbine/caliber combo of that size. The low-power variable Leupolds are great scopes for the money IMO, and Burris makes a decent 2-7x with a ballistic reticle in their Fullfield E1 line that won't break the bank.

http://swfa.com/Burris-2-7x35-Fullfi...pe-P48174.aspx
DJ Niner is offline   Reply With Quote