Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:09   #1
KCCAD

World War II veteran to return 'souvenir' Japanese sword

The 94 year-old veteran will hand over the sword to Tadahiro Motomura, the grandson of the Japanese military officer who once owned the sword. The event will take place at a ceremony Sept. 21 at the Charlotte Partridge Ordway Japanese Garden at the Como Park Zoo and Conservatory in St. Paul, MN.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/14...apanese-sword/
Old 09-14-2013, 11:16   #2
WT

He was probably with the 2 MARDIV. They were stationed in Nagasaki as part of the occupation troops. Many Marines developed weird forms of cancer after their duty there. Nagasaki still has plutonium contamination located a few inches down in the soil.

The swords have a special meaning to Japanese families. Imagine someone giving you your ancestor's Revolutionary War musket?
WT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:17   #3
FullClip
CLM Number 171
NRA Benefactor

Although I think he "earned" it, and I would do different, I respect his choice of giving it back.

I doubt very much that some Japanese soldier would be so forgiving if the tables were turned.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:17   #4
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Does he not have any kids or grandkids who would appreciate it?

I have a box of my Grandpa's WWII medals, I'd love to have a trophy to go with them!
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:35   #5
professorpinki
Bumbling idjit

That's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing.
professorpinki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:38   #6
zoyter2
Yeah, so what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullClip View Post
Although I think he "earned" it, and I would do different, I respect his choice of giving it back.

I doubt very much that some Japanese soldier would be so forgiving if the tables were turned.
I wouldn't have given them jack crap. If I didn't want it I would sell it on ebay before giving it back.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:43   #7
relayman

I have mixed emotions on this subject . The Japanese were guilty of some pretty horrendous war crimes up to and including cannibalism of POW's . I'm not sure where this Japanese Officer fit in to this equation but I would have to know before even considering returning it .
relayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:44   #8
ray9898

Pretty cool....this has happened several times.
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:48   #9
GLWyandotte
Carbon User

I'm tossed about it too. Considering the japanzees were among the cruelest of captors in WWII, I don't think I'd be so generous. To forgive is divine, so let it be done.
Btw- I may just go there, I live about 8 miles from Como.

Formerly Glockerel, 2003
GLWyandotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:50   #10
TK-421

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
Does he not have any kids or grandkids who would appreciate it?
It's entirely possible that he has kids or grandkids who would not appreciate it, and would be more likely to toss it into a garbage can the moment he kicks the bucket. So he wants to do what he considers to be the right thing by returning it. And I can respect that.

I would do the same thing if I was really old, and knew I wouldn't be around much longer, and knew that none of my relatives would honor it and treasure it like I had. But if I had a family member who loved it just as much as I did, and would hopefully teach the next generation to continue honoring it, then I would pass it on down the family line. I'd also make sure to pass down the history about it, so my family knew where it came from and why it's significant.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:00   #11
jp3975

Quote:

I dont know. The Japanese are pretty good people. If you lost your wallet there you'd almost certainly get it back, where as here...youd be lucky to get it back minus the cash.

I dont think US soldiers had anything so important as a sword. Its really important to their culture. The only thing I can think of that might be on par would be a journal. If tons of US soldiers kept nice detailed journals and tons of Japanese took them as trophies...you dont think any would return them decades later?

I cant say id give it back either, but its a really nice thing that he's doing. Im sure it meant the world to that guys family. After all...it looks like the grandson is coming all the way here to get it.

Last edited by jp3975; 09-14-2013 at 12:02..
jp3975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:00   #12
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
While having one is very cool, reuniting the family, with a family blade like that, is very cool. Its just a sword to us, its part of the family, or was part of the family to the Japanese.

Good on him.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:03   #13
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Sounds like the intro to The Wolverine. Lol
Old 09-14-2013, 12:06   #14
FullClip
CLM Number 171
NRA Benefactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
While having one is very cool, reuniting the family, with a family blade like that, is very cool. Its just a sword to us, its part of the family, or was part of the family to the Japanese.

Good on him.
About 2,800 US Sailors and Soldiers killed during the Japanese sneak attack on Pearl Harbor were also "part of the family"....I don't see too many of them getting returned to their families.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:23   #15
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Quote:
About 2,800 US Sailors and Soldiers killed during the Japanese sneak attack on Pearl Harbor were also "part of the family"....I don't see too many of them getting returned to their families.

That doesn't really have anything to do with this old soldier returning a family heirloom to the family it belongs to.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
Old 09-14-2013, 12:27   #16
kahrcarrier
FAHRENHEIT

I'm okay with this return, would be equally okay if the soldier sold it and put some cash in his pocket.

It is his to do as he pleases......
kahrcarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:31   #17
FullClip
CLM Number 171
NRA Benefactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
That doesn't really have anything to do with this old soldier returning a family heirloom to the family it belongs to.
But it sure as heck has a lot to do why he was in Japan to pick it up in the first place!!
Old 09-14-2013, 12:36   #18
jp3975

Quote:
Well...why dont you go over there and get some revenge?

Its in the past. Are you going to be full of hate forever?

This was 70 years ago for Christ's sake.

What does people dying a lifetime ago have to do with this Marine deciding to give his war trophy back to the family it came from?

Your hatred of the Japanese of WWII extends to their grand children?

Last edited by jp3975; 09-14-2013 at 12:40..
jp3975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:40   #19
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Quote:
But it sure as heck has a lot to do why he was in Japan to pick it up in the first place!!

That doesn't have anything to do with this guy deciding to return a long lost family heirloom.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:44   #20
Snaps
Hail 2 The King

I think its a pretty cool thing, people are more worried about what the Japanese may have done than the guy who actually lived through it, that's what confuses me about it all. I'm gonna guess this Japanese soldiers grandson never bombed Pearl Harbor or even considered killing or eating a POW
Old 09-14-2013, 12:47   #21
raven11

Leave it to Glocktalk to poo over a veteran wanting to give a family heirloom back to its original owner
raven11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:56   #22
rednoved
NRA Member

I have one that was passed to me sitting in my safe. They estimate that US soldiers brought back 200,000+ swords after WWII. I wouldn't sell mine, or want to give it back. That said. I wouldn't mind having the service weapons from my 6th Great Grandfather that father that fought in the Revolutionary War. I want everything.
rednoved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 13:11   #23
ray9898

Quote:

You got that right....HE was the one there picking it up off the battlefield so he has earned the right to return it to the family of his one time enemy if he wishes.

Last edited by ray9898; 09-14-2013 at 13:12..
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 13:15   #24
relayman

Long story short , if the Japanese Officer was an honorable man who served his country with dignity , then I would have no problem with him returning the sword . I would need to know first .
Old 09-14-2013, 13:18   #25
relayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray9898 View Post
You got that right....HE was the one there picking it up off the battlefield so he has earned the right to return it to the family of his one time enemy if he wishes.
Nagasaki was not a battlefield and he didn't REALLY earn it . It was just a war trophy that he picked up from the tons that were available . Keep it in perspective .