Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:26   #1
DEE50

Glow in the dark or phosphorus sights

Just wondering what these methods are like for a gun such as the ruger lcp. Does it help at all?
DEE50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:39   #2
bac1023

I wouldn't bother on something like that. It's pretty much a close range point and shoot defensive gun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:39   #3
ArmoryDoc

IMO, not worth the time since they have to be exposed to a light source prior to be used.
ArmoryDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 17:33   #4
collim1
Shower Time!

There is no light source in my pocket to charge the sights. Useless.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 18:46   #5
ChiefWPD

Sights use tritium gas, an isotope of hydrogen. Little glass vial in sight is coated with phosphor. Rays from tritium excite the phosphor. Phosphor glows. Pretty long half life (forget how long).

Good system for night sights, among a bizillion other uses.
Old 09-10-2013, 18:58   #6
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

I think half life it like 12 years.

Beretta used to sell guns with sights that would glow when charged under a light.
I think I have three different ones from them that do that. It's a worthless addition unless you can charge them before you need them. They will glow brighter than night sights for a short time.

The problem being that you never know when the time will come when you will need to use a gun. Better to be safe and just bite the bullet and go with real night sights

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:46   #7
JabbaNoBother

Added phosphorus to the Elsie front sight for ****s and giggles. Does appear to give more depth in your sight line, though with that type gun you're (hopefully) not going to be shooting anything far away.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:36   #8
spec357

My CZ P01 came with the glow in the dark nightsites on it. Nice sites, but kinda useless as far as nightsites go. unless you are open carrying with a holster that lets light shine on all three dots, and I highly doubt they would stay charged all night. I never tested them.
spec357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:54   #9
DEE50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaNoBother View Post
Added phosphorus to the Elsie front sight for ****s and giggles. Does appear to give more depth in your sight line, though with that type gun you're (hopefully) not going to be shooting anything far away.
What kind of phosphorous? My thoughts was that if I pocket carried some light might penetrate on a sunny day and that in moderate lighting it could help some... I donno
Old 09-11-2013, 08:11   #10
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEE50 View Post
What kind of phosphorous? My thoughts was that if I pocket carried some light might penetrate on a sunny day and that in moderate lighting it could help some... I donno
Not sure, but I wouldn't bet on that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:40   #11
Dave.1

For anyone interested, this member of the Beretta forum shows a process for DIY glow in the dark sights.
http://www.berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=96974

I think I'd rather order night sights, but if you're in to home solutions, he seemed to like the results.

Dave
Dave.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:50   #12
JabbaNoBother

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEE50 View Post
Don't remember the product name, but I used a neon green color. Its use would be more along the lines of better sight picture if I decided to use on a range day. While laying out whatever you plan on shooting, I would pull out the Elsie to charge the phosphorus. Not enough light would penetrate while carrying concealed.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:31   #13
DEE50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaNoBother View Post
Don't remember the product name, but I used a neon green color. Its use would be more along the lines of better sight picture if I decided to use on a range day. While laying out whatever you plan on shooting, I would pull out the Elsie to charge the phosphorus. Not enough light would penetrate while carrying concealed.
What if you kept it near light just before a night walk?
Old 09-16-2013, 11:00   #14
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

They are ok, but not a substitute for real night sights.
faawrenchbndr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 16:47   #15
DEE50

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
They are ok, but not a substitute for real night sights.
Whats involved in the installation of night sights on a ruger lcp? Is the front sight pinned in?
Old 09-17-2013, 18:41   #16
Bruce M

I am more comfortable with a tritium sight.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:01   #17
Pier23

While I will never stand in the way of a person with a dream, I took some knowledge away from reading the Seecamp owners manual, donkey's years ago.

In explaining the lack of sights on the Seecamp, the manual said, in basically these words "if you need to use sights, you are using the wrong gun".
Pier23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:07   #18
wjv

NiteSiters on a LCP

I put them on mostly because I wanted "White Bar/Dot" styled sights that looked semi professional, but didn't want to pay an extra $100 just to get aftermarket sights with white dots on them. The fact that they also glow if exposed to light is a plus, but wasn't my primary goal.

I bought 2 packs of NiteSiters in two different sizes, and have put them on a couple different guns. (~$15 total) I do keep a UV flashlight by the bed so I can charge the sights without blinding myself, If I choose to do so.

General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:14   #19
wjv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pier23 View Post

In explaining the lack of sights on the Seecamp, the manual said, in basically these words "if you need to use sights, you are using the wrong gun".

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -

Last edited by wjv; 09-18-2013 at 10:18..
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote