Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-08-2013, 21:19   #1
PhoenixTacSolutions
PTS

Emergency Reload - To look or not to look at the handgun while reloading...

Thanks in advance for watching!

This method works for me...find out what works for you and evolve.

PhoenixTacSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:59   #2
Steve in PA

I like the texting-driving-accident analogy. I'm going to "steal" that when I do my dept instruction in a few weeks.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps. Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945"
Steve in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:38   #3
PhoenixTacSolutions
PTS

Thanks for watching...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
I like the texting-driving-accident analogy. I'm going to "steal" that when I do my dept instruction in a few weeks.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:42   #4
ca survivor

on the other hand, if you don't look wile reloading and you fumble, you'll be looking at the guy who is killing you.
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:10   #5
PhoenixTacSolutions
PTS

It comes down to what works for you. Thanks for watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca survivor View Post
on the other hand, if you don't look wile reloading and you fumble, you'll be looking at the guy who is killing you.
Old 09-09-2013, 13:09   #6
Steve in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca survivor View Post
And if you look, you can still be killed by the guy trying to kill you. What happens in dim/dark light when you can't see your handgun??

Like the OP said, use what works for you.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps. Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945"
Steve in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 19:50   #7
#141magfan

If you've shot the gun to slidelock and you still haven't solved the problem, you likely have some issues that neither a "look/no look" reload is going to fix.

Just sayin ......
#141magfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:14   #8
A'boy
fulla hateraid

Send a message via Yahoo to A'boy
practice, practice, practice...and then practice some more.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:52   #9
Derbel McDillet

Anytime my pistol doesn't fire when I press the trigger I immediately perform tap, rack, recover. It's quicker than pausing to look at my pistol to observe/orient/decide/act to determine what caused the stoppage and to make a decision as to what corrective action I'm going to perform.

Tap, rack, recover can be quickly performed and it is one immediate action that solves MANY problems I might have.

If tap, rack, recover fails to get the pistol running then, when the situation permits, I'll automatically progress to my next immediate action which is to perform a Combat [Emergency] Reload. If, during the Combat Reload, I can't insert the magazine into the pistol, then I place the fresh magazine between my ring and pinky finger, lock open the slide, rip the installed magazine from the pistol, rack the slide three times, then finish the Combat Reload.

During tap, rack I may detect that the slide did not retract very far. It could be due to slide lock from an empty magazine, an in-line stovepipe or a doublefeed. It doesn't matter - I attempt to fire again after racking the slide. (Pausing to diagnose increases the time it will take for me to fix the problem. In addition lighting conditions may make it difficult to quickly see and diagnose.) Tap, rack take less than a second to perform and doesn't divert my attention from the attacker to the pistol. If tap, rack fails to get the pistol running then my mind is free to immediately decide what I might have to do next to keep from being shot, stabbed, beaten, etc., BEFORE I attempt a Combat Reload.

LOOKING at the pistol sucks you into dealing with the pistol problem instead of reacting to the attacker (the cellphone texting example provided in the video also applies here).

LOOKING at the pistol to observe and diagnose a problem takes longer to perform than a series of progressive non-diagnostic immediate actions:
  1. If the gun doesn't fire then perform tap, rack, recover.
  2. If tap, rack, recover fails to get the gun running then, when situation permits, perform a Combat Reload.
  3. If you cannot insert them magazine during the Combat Reload then perform the actions to clear a doublefeed and complete the Combat Reload.
Derbel McDillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 21:25   #10
PhoenixTacSolutions
PTS

There are reports of assailants taking double digit number of handgun rounds and still continuing to fight. Handguns are underpowered tools regardless of caliber. Training to effectively execute an emergency reload is very important...especially for those not blessed to live in high capacity magazine states.

Thanks for watching and commenting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #141magfan View Post
If you've shot the gun to slidelock and you still haven't solved the problem, you likely have some issues that neither a "look/no look" reload is going to fix.

Just sayin ......
Old 09-10-2013, 21:26   #11
PhoenixTacSolutions
PTS

Exactly! Thanks for your comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A'boy View Post
practice, practice, practice...and then practice some more.
Old 09-10-2013, 21:33   #12
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

People are exaggerating the extent of "looking". We're not in an environment where things are moving at 70mph, nor are we taking a second and a half to put a magazine in, nor are we making gross head movements.

The look is a flick of the eyes to reduce fumbles. It's a shift of a few degrees, since the gun is just below our nose. The value it returns---when we're in a fight for our lives and have already run thru a dozen or more rounds without fixing the problem---is important.

Lets run this with sims and light t-shirts and see what actually works (I have, and the guys who say they're doing it by feel actually aren't, by 20:1.)
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 21:51   #13
PhoenixTacSolutions
PTS

Thanks for your comment!

Please elaborate on the bold portion of your post...

Are you referring to a type 3 malfunction? Did you mean that if you can not rip the magazine out of the handgun?

Sorry if I am misunderstanding you!

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derbel McDillet View Post
Anytime my pistol doesn't fire when I press the trigger I immediately perform tap, rack, recover. It's quicker than pausing to look at my pistol to observe/orient/decide/act to determine what caused the stoppage and to make a decision as to what corrective action I'm going to perform.

Tap, rack, recover can be quickly performed and it is one immediate action that solves MANY problems I might have.

If tap, rack, recover fails to get the pistol running then, when the situation permits, I'll automatically progress to my next immediate action which is to perform a Combat [Emergency] Reload. If, during the Combat Reload, I can't insert the magazine into the pistol, then I place the fresh magazine between my ring and pinky finger, lock open the slide, rip the installed magazine from the pistol, rack the slide three times, then finish the Combat Reload.

During tap, rack I may detect that the slide did not retract very far. It could be due to slide lock from an empty magazine, an in-line stovepipe or a doublefeed. It doesn't matter - I attempt to fire again after racking the slide. (Pausing to diagnose increases the time it will take for me to fix the problem. In addition lighting conditions may make it difficult to quickly see and diagnose.) Tap, rack take less than a second to perform and doesn't divert my attention from the attacker to the pistol. If tap, rack fails to get the pistol running then my mind is free to immediately decide what I might have to do next to keep from being shot, stabbed, beaten, etc., BEFORE I attempt a Combat Reload.

LOOKING at the pistol sucks you into dealing with the pistol problem instead of reacting to the attacker (the cellphone texting example provided in the video also applies here).

LOOKING at the pistol to observe and diagnose a problem takes longer to perform than a series of progressive non-diagnostic immediate actions:
  1. If the gun doesn't fire then perform tap, rack, recover.
  2. If tap, rack, recover fails to get the gun running then, when situation permits, perform a Combat Reload.
  3. If you cannot insert them magazine during the Combat Reload then perform the actions to clear a doublefeed and complete the Combat Reload.
Old 09-10-2013, 21:57   #14
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
... the gun is just below our nose.
This sums it up nicely.

We never stop looking towards the threat, but we can also see what we need to see during the reload.
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 22:06   #15
GunHo198

I always keep the gun at eye level to see both the threat and the gun during a reload. Last time I was envolved in a shooting I was counting my shots and anticipating the reload. I'd rather do a mag change with one still in the chamber if possible.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:38   #16
Derbel McDillet

Quote:
Please elaborate on the bold portion of your post...

Are you referring to a type 3 malfunction? Did you mean that if you can not rip the magazine out of the handgun?

Quote:
If, during the Combat Reload, I can't insert the magazine into the pistol, then I place the fresh magazine between my ring and pinky finger, lock open the slide, rip the installed magazine from the pistol, rack the slide three times, then finish the Combat Reload.
When performing a Combat Reload I first acquire the fresh magazine in my support hand. Once I have the fresh magazine indexed in my support hand, ready to insert, and I'm bringing it up to the pistol I press the magazine release pushbutton to jettison the "empty" magazine from the pistol. If I can't insert the fresh magazine into the magazine well because the "empty" magazine did not jettison, then I simply perform the immediate action to clear a doublefeed and then finish the Combat Reload.

I don't get caught up with classifying stoppages as a "Type I, II or III malfunction" because this adds unnecessary complexity. I don't care what "type" it is. I just perform a progressive series of immediate actions to get the pistol running as quickly as possible. I can do it in complete darkness or while on the move.

If Tap, Rack, Recover fails to get the pistol running then my next step is to perform a Combat Reload. The reason is because I'm more likely to have an empty magazine than to have experienced a doublefeed stoppage. Attempting to perform a Combat Reload first will get the pistol up and running quicker than performing all the steps to clear a doublefeed, if the reason for the stoppage is simply an empty magazine. If the problem is a doublefeed then very little time is wasted as the fresh magazine is simply transferred from the support hand to between the ring and pinky fingers of the firing hand, freeing the support hand to rip the "empty" magazine from the pistol and to work the slide.

Last edited by Derbel McDillet; 09-11-2013 at 10:43..
Derbel McDillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:40   #17
Jake Starr

I really like the moustache.

You method is how I was taught and trained by IDF commandos and how I currently train others.

Jam 1- Dud or no round in chamber, trigger goes "click" -tap rack.
Jam 2- double feed or stove pipe, trigger is "mushy" remove mag, rack slide 2-3 times, reinsert mag, rack slide to chamber a fresh round.
Jam 3- Out of ammo, slide lock, emergency reload.

Do not count rounds fired; do not perform tactical reloads. Fire until threat is down or gun stops working. Perform whichever Jam manipulation as needed.

The Christian faith is in no way pacifistic.
Jake Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 13:09   #18
threefeathers
Scouts Out

I don't ever remember looking at my M16, carbine, or M14 when I reloaded. That said I do try to get a flash look when I reload. I like the technique taught by Tom Givens when I took his instructor development class. Tom won't even allow you look at your magazines when you reload them. Having had a friend die because he was looking down at his revolver to reload will give you an intense emotional experience and you will look for a way to stay alive should that situation occur again. I see both techniques as being the right way depending on the situation.
threefeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 17:11   #19
PhoenixTacSolutions
PTS

Thanks for your comment!!!

My mustache thanks you as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Starr View Post
I really like the moustache.

You method is how I was taught and trained by IDF commandos and how I currently train others.

Jam 1- Dud or no round in chamber, trigger goes "click" -tap rack.
Jam 2- double feed or stove pipe, trigger is "mushy" remove mag, rack slide 2-3 times, reinsert mag, rack slide to chamber a fresh round.
Jam 3- Out of ammo, slide lock, emergency reload.

Do not count rounds fired; do not perform tactical reloads. Fire until threat is down or gun stops working. Perform whichever Jam manipulation as needed.
Old 09-16-2013, 17:14   #20
PhoenixTacSolutions
PTS

Interesting...

Thanks for your comment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by threefeathers View Post
I don't ever remember looking at my M16, carbine, or M14 when I reloaded. That said I do try to get a flash look when I reload. I like the technique taught by Tom Givens when I took his instructor development class. Tom won't even allow you look at your magazines when you reload them. Having had a friend die because he was looking down at his revolver to reload will give you an intense emotional experience and you will look for a way to stay alive should that situation occur again. I see both techniques as being the right way depending on the situation.