Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:39   #1
thekid75134

Most consistent Pistol Powder

Which pistol powder is the most consistent and doesn't change FPS at different altitudes or at least not as bad?

Thanks
thekid75134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 13:50   #2
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

I can't say there is any one that is the most consistent, but I've found Power Pistol to be on the most consistent powders I've tried. It doesn't hold a monopoly on consistency, but it does do a good job. It depends on the load too, every powder I've used has had both good results and not so good too.

Last edited by SDGlock23; 09-08-2013 at 13:51..
SDGlock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 13:52   #3
jcountry

I am a total newbie, but I have gotten good results from unique.

The last of my loads of 9mm with unique and federal brass had a standard deviation of only 10 and an extreme spread of 32 in velocity. Very nice-in my book!
jcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:52   #4
8Ring

It is my understanding that gunpowder does not need oxygen from the air in order to burn. If so, the altitude should not effect initial velocities.

I think the nitrocellulose and nitroglycerine in gunpowder contain oxygen that it released on ignition.

Any amateur or professional chemists should step in and help us out.
8Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:05   #5
at_liberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekid75134 View Post
Which pistol powder is the most consistent and doesn't change FPS at different altitudes or at least not as bad?

Thanks
Don't they all run faster at higher altitudes? I would think you would need to measure at some serious distance from the muzzle to factor in enough air resistance to make a measurable difference. But then you risk shooting your chronograph.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:23   #6
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

The air is less dense up here for sure. It's going to come into play more with rifle round trajectory. The farther the shot, the more it will impact the flight path. Pistol rounds shooting 25 yards shouldn't be a biggie at all.

The things you should be asking about pistol powders is how temperature sensitive / reverse temp sensitive they are. Yes, some burn hotter in the cold. WSF comes to mind.

Depending on what cartridge you're loading, position sensitivity comes into play too. .45 colt, for example, was made for black powder. With smokeless powder, it's sloshing around in the case. Held horizontally in a cylinder, the primer is firing more over the top of the powder rather than back to front of the case. Some powders handle this better than others.

I'm really pushing for the broken record award these days, but i'm going to recommend Unique for normal full power service loads and 2400 for full power magnums. Unique also makes a great mid-range load for magnums if you don't want to go full throttle. Behaves well with lead and jacketed bullets, isn't overly temp or position sensitive, tons of data out there for the newbie, bulky so it's harder to miss a double charge and is really versatile. Maybe not the best choice for light loads / incomplete combustion / little sooty.

The Kid never told us what he's loading for, but chances are, Unique can do it.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:42   #7
sourdough44

As posted above, the cartridge you are loading for factors in heavily.

When you peruse several manuals & see the same powders listed again & again for your desired bullet type & weight, that gives a clue on the direction to go.

You can find uncommon loads with peripheral powders but it's easier to stick with the mainstream. Most manuals will mention powders that work best with a specific cartridge.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 15:24   #8
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Steve View Post
...The things you should be asking about pistol powders is how temperature sensitive / reverse temp sensitive they are. Yes, some burn hotter in the cold. WSF comes to mind.

Depending on what cartridge you're loading, position sensitivity comes into play too...
I've tested N320 with cartridges from ~40 degrees to >100 degrees and there is no (zero, goose egg, none, zilch) measurable temperature sensitivity in my 9mil loads.

I've wondered about position though, since I have very little N320 in a .45 case.
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 15:27   #9
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

VV makes some good stuff.
Old 09-12-2013, 15:52   #10
SARDG

Quote:
I hope so... and that explains the cost!
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 16:26   #11
noylj

Exterior ballistics is not affected by powder used, just muzzle velocity and bullet properties.
Cold/Hot temperatures affects powder performance, but I have NEVER seen a 'scientific' listing of the thermal effects.
Everyone has their own pet powder that they think is great, and it generally depends on what cartridge is being talked about.
If I had to pick a single pistol powder for non-magnum usage, it would be 231/HP38, but I have no idea about hot/cold effects.
VV has established itself as a boutique powder and that has affected the way people look at it. Other than that, it is still nitrocellulose and nitroglycerine, with the same coatings as any other powder.
noylj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:12   #12
Three-Five-Seven
Señor Mombo

I use Titegroup in .38 special precisely because of its consistency and absence of position sensitivity.

I use WST in the .45 acp for these same reasons.

I'm going to try some VV320 in an effort to find a powder that produces less smoke than Titegroup.

And, so it goes.......
Old 09-13-2013, 08:17   #13
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Are people too cheap to buy bullets allowed to use VV powders?
Old 09-13-2013, 08:45   #14
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

There are rumors.

Tags
pistol, powder