Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-07-2013, 13:56   #1
Prometheus77
GOA - RWVA

Lawsuit proceeding over Deputy threatening to murder licensed CC motorist.

Lawsuit proceeding over deputy threatening to murder Florida motorist and CWL holder during a routine traffic stop.

For those of you who recall, the Florida Deputy goes off on the older motorist and threatens "I'll shoot you in the ****ing back".

Deputy: "I'll shoot you in the ****ing back!" -Video

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Prometheus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 15:32   #2
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Completely setting aside the merits of the suit, this is why it's better that you control the timing of the discovery of your weapon.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 16:53   #3
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
Completely setting aside the merits of the suit, this is why it's better that you control the timing of the discovery of your weapon.
It's also better that all persons involved in any interaction, behave appropriately. Otherwise, the tax dollars of many people will be in jeopardy.

I'm dealing with an incident in my town where an officer manhandled and assaulted a guy legally carrying, and now the city will owe the offended and injured soldier a hefty sum. Sucks for me and my neighbors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

--Gunhaver
Don't let the guys quoted above contact your reps more than you.

Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:38   #4
Ryobi
SummertimeRules

This. QUOTE=Sam Spade;20603288]Completely setting aside the merits of the suit, this is why it's better that you control the timing of the discovery of your weapon.[/QUOTE]
Ryobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:40   #5
AZson

I saw this video, that cop should be arrested for making death treats, but as we know there is a double standard when cops break the law.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:42   #6
AZson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
Why, when you don't have to? Quit trying to blame the poor guy.

Last edited by AZson; 09-08-2013 at 10:49..
AZson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:45   #7
AZson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
It's also better that all persons involved in any interaction, behave appropriately. Otherwise, the tax dollars of many people will be in jeopardy.

I'm dealing with an incident in my town where an officer manhandled and assaulted a guy legally carrying, and now the city will owe the offended and injured soldier a hefty sum. Sucks for me and my neighbors.
The guy did, but the cop still handcuffed him, berated him and threatened to kill him, yet nothing was done to the cop. If I did that, I would be in jail.
Gives you a reason to be weary of police.
Heck we have a psycho sheriff here in Pima county, I would be very nervous around him.

Last edited by AZson; 09-08-2013 at 10:48..
AZson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:57   #8
DaleGribble
Well Heeled Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZson View Post
Why, when you don't have to? Quit trying to blame the poor guy.
He didn't blame the guy. He simply made an observation that is very true. Had the gentleman, upon first contact, said he was armed, the officer may have acted differently and the gentleman might not have been subjected to such rude treatment.

The CCW carrier did nothing wrong at all, he's gonna get paid and rightfully so.
DaleGribble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 14:27   #9
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

On second though, I'll just go with this:
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle

Last edited by Sam Spade; 09-08-2013 at 14:55..
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 14:53   #10
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZson View Post
The guy did, but the cop still handcuffed him, berated him and threatened to kill him, yet nothing was done to the cop. If I did that, I would be in jail.
Gives you a reason to be weary of police.
Heck we have a psycho sheriff here in Pima county, I would be very nervous around him.
There are heroes and zero's in every profession. It looks like the citizen is on his way to getting compensated for his trouble. Should not have happened. Now the tax payers will have to pay for the officer's mistake.

--Gunhaver

Old 09-09-2013, 11:59   #11
Booker

Quote:
There are heroes and zero's in every profession. It looks like the citizen is on his way to getting compensated for his trouble. Should not have happened. Now the tax payers will have to pay for the officer's mistake.
You should hire BETTER Officers!
Booker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:17   #12
SigFTW

The officer was wrong and over reacted and should answer for acting like an a**.
Old 09-09-2013, 17:36   #13
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booker View Post
You should hire BETTER Officers!

Well, I don't hire officers.

To be honest, it's hard to ensure an employee will be an excellent employee during the hiring process.

What you should do is pay close attention, and ensure that your officers have the best training available to be the best officers available.

Even then, a bad apple or two will slip through. It's just that there is nothing certain when dealing with humans.

--Gunhaver

Last edited by Cavalry Doc; 09-09-2013 at 17:38..
Old 09-09-2013, 17:57   #14
Dave514

The LE profession draws a lot of nuts. The majority are great but recognize many of their colleagues are in it for the wrong reasons. This might be one of those guys. However, considering the dangers of even a simple stop I can see an officer getting a little worked up. In KY we are required to inform the officer and present our CCW license immediately. I think that's a good law and would help avoid situations like this.
Dave514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 20:29   #15
Booker

Quote:
Well, I don't hire officers.

To be honest, it's hard to ensure an employee will be an excellent employee during the hiring process.

What you should do is pay close attention, and ensure that your officers have the best training available to be the best officers available.

Even then, a bad apple or two will slip through. It's just that there is nothing certain when dealing with humans.
True, but as a citizen, you still have a voice! Scream loudly if you must!!! I was appointed to a citizens committee that examines Police Issues. The Chief knows that he works at the pleasure of the Mayor, the Mayor is always running for election, therefor we, as citizens, have clout if you know who to holler at! Just ask John Morse in Colorado. I'll be voting to recall him, tomorrow!
Booker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:07   #16
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booker View Post
True, but as a citizen, you still have a voice! Scream loudly if you must!!! I was appointed to a citizens committee that examines Police Issues. The Chief knows that he works at the pleasure of the Mayor, the Mayor is always running for election, therefor we, as citizens, have clout if you know who to holler at! Just ask John Morse in Colorado. I'll be voting to recall him, tomorrow!
My local police are learning some hard lessons right now about how to handle a person legally carrying a weapon. I've written some emails and sent a couple of letters. The resulting lawsuit will probably have more impact, although it'll essentially come out of the taxpayers pocket.

Point is, it's not the hiring process I would focus on, but constant good quality training. I'd hope the city would be able to step out of the way and let the offending officer get sued personally if they showed an honest good faith effort. Maybe not possible, but that would be more fair.

--Gunhaver

Old 09-10-2013, 08:13   #17
Caver 60

Well I agree with Sam's post number 2.

The last time I was stopped was in the late 70's and we didn't have CCW back then.

From hanging around here it seems things can go both ways. There have been cases where a person did not inform when they didn't have to and were treated badly. There have been cases where a person did inform when they didn't have to and were treated badly.

But it seems to me the majority of people who did inform were treated in a fair and just manner. I can certainly understand an officers concern, but not their overreaction.

I personally carry my permit and drivers license in the same compartment of my billfold. We do not have to inform, unless asked, in my state.

My plan the next time I'm stopped is to hand over both documents, if I'm carrying. No matter if it's in this state, or some other state where I'm authorized to carry. I think the odds of being treated fairly would be on my side that way. Just my opinion.
Caver 60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:27   #18
James Dean

Even cops have to deal with other foul mouth cops.
James Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:21   #19
Fred Hansen
Liberal Bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleGribble View Post
He didn't blame the guy. He simply made an observation that is very true. Had the gentleman, upon first contact, said he was armed, the officer may have acted differently and the gentleman might not have been subjected to such rude treatment.

The CCW carrier did nothing wrong at all, he's gonna get paid and rightfully so.
Or he might have been shot DRT. Fruitcakes like that are completely unpredictable, that's why they shouldn't be cops.

OTOH, it's Floriduh. Fruitcakes are to be expected.
When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. - George Santayana
Fred Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:28   #20
Fred Hansen
Liberal Bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Dean View Post
Another east coast paradise.

When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. - George Santayana
Fred Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote