Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-06-2013, 21:26   #26
bovw

Quote:
Originally Posted by podwich View Post
Scotch? Yum.

I had Ardbeg Uigeadail last night. I drink Scotch neat most of the time.

I'm a big fan of all sorts of them, not just the Islays.
How does that compare to the Corryvreckan?
bovw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 22:33   #27
2bgop

Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
I would dearly love to know if Balvenie Doublewood 17 is worth it….$100+ as opposed to the 12 which is in the $50's.

Anyone had the 17, worth it? How is it? I don't want to pay more than double if its only tad incrementally better. If the 12 is 95% of what the 17 is, not worth the bother.

OTOH, if it is spectacular, do tell.
Which 17? I think there are several, they do a different 17 year release every year. The Caribbean and Madeira cast 17s are very good, not sophisticated by any means, but I like them both.

Edit: Sorry, I see you actually said which in one you were talking about, I missed it.

Last edited by 2bgop; 09-06-2013 at 22:35..
2bgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 22:59   #28
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Solera Reserve (15yo) is my fav.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 23:16   #29
F14Scott
CLM Number 283
Luggage

So, there I am, sitting by a crackling fire, savoring my Bunnahabhain 18 Year Old in a crystal rocks glass that I had run through an autoclave using deionized water and then allowed to cool for 36 hours to room temperature. The Single Malt's aroma, heady. The burn, exquisite. But the finish was somehow lacking... something. Fortunately, my son had left a bag of gummy bears on the mantle, and the heat of the fire had rendered them soft and delectably squishy. I dropped in a watermelon and a lime, swirled three times, and, BOOM, sipped instant perfection.
Old 09-06-2013, 23:33   #30
MtBaldy
Obie Wan, RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by F14Scott View Post
I dropped in a watermelon and a lime, swirled three times, and, BOOM, sipped instant perfection.
You know you're going to hell for that? Right? Right?

ps.

Pretty sure you're joking but if not... My ex-son-in-law saw a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black of mine one time and asked if he could have some. I said, "Sure but if you want something better try this 12 yo Balvenie Doublewood". He said, "Cool, now do you have some Coke or Pepsi I can mix it with?" I snatched my bottle of Balvenie back and gave him the Johnnie Walker Black and said, "Here. Go ask your wife in the kitchen to get you some". He was a little miffed but did it. Now I've never mixed Coke and single malt scotch but it sounds like you might like it. Won't know until you try it eh?
Old 09-07-2013, 02:33   #31
clancy

You guys know nothing about Scotch unless you have had Glenfarcas 1955. Awesomely smooth, the slightest hints of apple, peat and the armpits of 23 year old, red haired Scottish laundresses , and one cannot truly enjoy it unless one uses fresh cut ice from a Norwegian fjord, combined with no less than 5, and nor more than 7, drops of pure limestone filtered water from the same caves that Basil Hayden Bourbon is made with. Water from a small creek in the northwestern section of the Carpathian Mountains runs a close second, and while I have tried various ices from all over the world(ice blended in a 67-33 mix from the Himalayans and Pyrenees Mountains runs a very distant second, and I can still taste the foulness from ice made from Tahitian water) only ice cut from Norwegian fjords should be used.

Last edited by clancy; 09-07-2013 at 02:35..
clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:26   #32
GreenDrake
Rip Lips

My preference is neat, with a drop of water, never any ice, ever. When possible, from the quaich.

The Okie Corral

Last edited by GreenDrake; 09-07-2013 at 04:26..
GreenDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:48   #33
E-2-E
Long Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDrake View Post
My preference is neat, with a drop of water, never any ice, ever. When possible, from the quaich.

The Okie Corral
The wife and I enjoy this throughout the winter months.
I'm sickened by all religions. Religion has divided people. I don't think there's any difference between the pope wearing a large hat and parading around with a smoking purse and an African painting his face white and praying to a rock.
Howard Stern
E-2-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:14   #34
GreenDrake
Rip Lips

Yeah, E2E we toured the Old Whisky Trail in the Scottish highlands a few years back, stayed in Pitlochry just down the street from The Edradour Distillery, this scotch is outstanding, I don't much care for age or fame, to me it's what I like. I managed to run across a bottle locally of their un-chill filtered, that was mis-priced, what a treat. I always keep this in the bar during the winter months.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:45   #35
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless28 View Post
I am enjoying a dram of my favorite drink.

Laphroiag 10 with a splash of water.

I tried several different ones, but I keep coming back to the peaty, iodine, smoky, powerful Islay single malt.

Any scotch drinkers in the house tonight?

yup, but im the exact opposite..I like anything thats NOT got a strong peat or iodine taste to it. Im more of a Balvenie double wood guy(or anything similar to that)

right now ive got a bit of Macallan and Glenmorangie. next will probably be something like Dalwhinnie or maybe my old standard Balvenie double wood..I cant get enough of that stuff..so far ive not found anything I like better.

Last edited by CBennett; 09-07-2013 at 06:50..
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:00   #36
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBennett View Post
yup, but im the exact opposite..I like anything thats NOT got a strong peat or iodine taste to it. Im more of a Balvenie double wood guy(or anything similar to that)
I thought the same thing with my first ever Islay, Lagavulin 16.
Why would anyone drink this crap, it tastes like…iewwww.

Let me try it again….

um….

half a bottle later….

It is the most bizarre thing in the world. But it grows on you. I suggest it while a football game is on to distract you a little. A single ice cube might help. Sip. ponder. Put it down. Go back to it. by the second glass you're liking it. Third you're looking forward to it.

Then stop. Because its 70-100 a bottle depending on where you buy it.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:25   #37
brianfede

Has anyone tried Finlaggan Islay Old Reserve Single Malt? It's peaty and IMHO a great bargain at around $30. Additionally, Costco has a Speyside Single Malt 20 year Sherry Cask finish for $42. Comes from Alexander Murray & Co, Aberdeen , Scotland. Its also very good.

Originally Posted by G29Reload The Okie Corral
I would dearly love to know if Balvenie Doublewood 17 is worth it….$100+ as opposed to the 12 which is in the $50's.

I have had both and for the money I think its hard to beat the 12 year for $50. For $100 I don't think 17 year would be in my top 10 for spirits at that price.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:35   #38
SVTNate
Chargers fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovw View Post
How does that compare to the Corryvreckan?

I prefer the Corryvreckan.

In fact, it's one of my favorite Islays.

Bruichladdich makes some great malts as well. I really like the Laddie 10, and their Islay Barley 2006.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:20   #39
bovw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTNate View Post
I prefer the Corryvreckan.

In fact, it's one of my favorite Islays.

Bruichladdich makes some great malts as well. I really like the Laddie 10, and their Islay Barley 2006.
I have yet to find a whisky that I like as much as the Corryvreckan.
bovw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:31   #40
RHVEtte

I don't really drink Scotch, too rich for my blood, but someone bought me a glass of Balvenie Double Wood (I think) once, and it was delicious. Looking it up online, it seems I can get a bottle for about $50, which isn't too bad. That site offers Redbreast 12, my standard whiskey for $60, so I might have to shop around and see if I can find that Balvenie somewhere else for less. I know I've picked up Redbreast for $45.
Liberty is a candle in a tempest. It is a rare and beautiful thing that must be jealously guarded, lest it be snuffed out. And like the candle, Liberty under tyranny is difficult to reignite. -- undoubtedly said by someone smarter than I.
RHVEtte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 13:26   #41
SVTNate
Chargers fan

Balvenie Double Wood runs about $30 here, Redbreast 12 is in the same price range or a little higher IIRC. The Redbreast 15, which is delicious by the way, runs about $60.

bovw, Corryvreckan is a fantastic single malt. Unfortunately, even with the tremendous variety of great liquor stores here in Southern California, I can't always get it. Uigedail (sp?) is pretty much always available but for some reason the Corry can be hit or miss sometimes.

I just might try to pick some up this afternoon. I have a sealed bottle, but this thread has inspired me to open it
Old 09-07-2013, 13:48   #42
Gregg702
Gold Membership

My wife got me a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue Label for our anniversary, it is awesome.
Old 09-07-2013, 13:57   #43
Jonesee

I've been drinking single malt scotches for... well let's just say I am a bit older than most of you...

I travel with a flask or bottle on business and pleasure trips. It makes the evening more enjoyable in your hotel room when you can have a scotch.

Like someone else said, I don't like peaty scotches. I will drink it if someone buys me one, but you won't find any in my liquor cabinet.

Last edited by Jonesee; 09-07-2013 at 13:59..
Jonesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 14:55   #44
F350

You guys do know how much of your Scotch is aged don't you.........

In used BOURBON barrels
F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 14:59   #45
kweezy

I'm gonna comment on this, so that I cantry out some scotches when I get home. I've tried a few... Can't even remember the names. I did like Johnny Walker Black Label when I tried it. And Green Label too.
kweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 15:40   #46
Jonesee

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350 View Post
You guys do know how much of your Scotch is aged don't you.........

In used BOURBON barrels

and Port barrels and Sherry Barrels and Wine barrels...
Jonesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 15:53   #47
NYHawk

My palate is not as refined as many here, but I do enjoy some Woodford Reserve and a nice OpusX cigar in the evening a couple nights a week.
NYHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 16:24   #48
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
I thought the same thing with my first ever Islay, Lagavulin 16.
Why would anyone drink this crap, it tastes like…iewwww.

Let me try it again….

um….

half a bottle later….

It is the most bizarre thing in the world. But it grows on you. I suggest it while a football game is on to distract you a little. A single ice cube might help. Sip. ponder. Put it down. Go back to it. by the second glass you're liking it. Third you're looking forward to it.

Then stop. Because its 70-100 a bottle depending on where you buy it.
tried still cant stand it just tastes like im drinking band aids not a fan ...
Old 09-07-2013, 16:35   #49
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHVEtte View Post
I don't really drink Scotch, too rich for my blood, but someone bought me a glass of Balvenie Double Wood (I think) once, and it was delicious. Looking it up online, it seems I can get a bottle for about $50, which isn't too bad. That site offers Redbreast 12, my standard whiskey for $60, so I might have to shop around and see if I can find that Balvenie somewhere else for less. I know I've picked up Redbreast for $45.
Ive got Balvenie on sale for $45 b4 last bottle I got was $47
Old 09-07-2013, 16:54   #50
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTNate View Post
Balvenie Double Wood runs about $30 here,
Jesus. CA taxes the **** out of everything else, but not likker?

Really?

You know if they're selling at 30 they're still making a profit. So if its 50 here in VA and 45 in MD that extra is all tax.

I just found out how to fix CA's fiscal problems.

Tags
scotch, scotch brands