Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:44   #1
Indy_Guy_77
Thread Killer

Need help with Majestic Arms Speed Strip kit!

Argh!

Ruger Mk II 22/45.

First off - had to have a gun smith buddy replace the bolt stop pin for me. My meager tools and skill couldn't drift the appropriate pin out in order to swap the 1-piece factory stop pin with the MA two-piece pin.

Gun is now fully assembled. YAY! Trigger pulls, hammer falls, everything resets. Safety works. Hand-cycled 10 rounds of LRN through it...all works as it should.

So then I go to try out the speed strip. I unscrew the thing (bolt closed) - no issues. Get the piece out of the top of the gun - no problem other than a bit of tension from the bolt/spring.

Pull the bolt out - no problem. Put the bolt in - slight issue of needing enough pressure to slide over the top of the new MA hammer (more round profile so the bolt can slide over).

But for the life of me, the 2-piece MA bolt stop pin just won't screw back together. Won't. Go.

It won't screw together with the bolt in - nor with the bolt removed. Tension or no tension. Pushing hard from the top down or not. Just. won't. screw together.

Everything SEEMS lined up from the bottom. And even if it were off by half a MM or so, I'd think that the threads would align themselves into being "true" - but I can't get the blasted thing even STARTED, let alone all the way together.

Making me feel like a dunce, for sure.

Helpful hints?

-J-
Indy_Guy_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:03   #2
CMG

Sorry, never used one... how is it supposed to be faster than popping out the mainspring/bolt stop assembly?
Old 08-14-2014, 09:00   #3
Indy_Guy_77
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMG View Post
Sorry, never used one... how is it supposed to be faster than popping out the mainspring/bolt stop assembly?
That you don't have to fiddle with the mainspring/bolt stop assembly! :D

No worries about what orientation the little thingy that hangs down from the hammer (forget the name). So no gyrating the thing upside down and what-not trying to orient things the correct way.

Just unscrew the screw, remove it, remove the bolt and viola: access to the chamber and bolt lickety-split.

In theory... *sigh*

-J-
Old 08-14-2014, 09:39   #4
seanmac45
CLM Number 38
Charter Lifetime Member

Give Dino a call at (718) 356-6765.

It's his unit. I am sure he will be able to sort you out.

Sean
Old 08-14-2014, 20:37   #5
DJ Niner

A friend had one many years ago, and as I recall, he occasionally had a problem with the bottom threaded portion tilting slightly, preventing the screw from getting started.

I'd suggest maybe putting some thumb pressure on the top-rear of the mainspring housing (where the web of your hand sits when gripping the pistol), both forward and/or upward. Look in through the top (with a light, if needed), and press on the housing a bit, see if the threaded portion moves around at all, and if so, try to start the screw when applying varying amounts of pressure in different directions to the housing.

Another thought; if you aren't already, leave the wrench in the hex head screw during the reassembly attempt, so you have better leverage to wiggle it.

Maybe there are hints in the demo video (for one thing, it looks like he starts the pin with the scalloped cut to one side, vs facing forward where it will eventually end up):

Good luck, and if you find something that works, post it here. It might help someone else with the same troubles, even years from now.

Last edited by DJ Niner; 08-14-2014 at 20:46..
DJ Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 17:39   #6
Indy_Guy_77
Thread Killer

Tried the upwards pressure on the MSH - no avail. Yet.

It MAY very well be tilting ever-so-slightly.

I got the bright idea of going ahead and removing the MSH to see if I could assemble the pin with the thing removed completely... And I got the whole gun locked up tighter than a drum, now.

MSH won't come out.

Dang it.

That's what I get for not wanting to leave well-enough alone. *sigh*
Old 08-15-2014, 21:04   #7
DJ Niner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy_Guy_77 View Post
Tried the upwards pressure on the MSH - no avail. Yet.

It MAY very well be tilting ever-so-slightly.

I got the bright idea of going ahead and removing the MSH to see if I could assemble the pin with the thing removed completely... And I got the whole gun locked up tighter than a drum, now.

MSH won't come out.

Dang it.

That's what I get for not wanting to leave well-enough alone. *sigh*
If the hammer is still cocked, then the MSH will bind during disassembly (this can happen during disassembly with the normal parts; drags on the bottom of the frame slot, IIRC). Try dry-firing to release the hammer tension (IF it's still cocked); if it's NOT cocked, then I'm out of ideas. Sorry.

Last edited by DJ Niner; 08-15-2014 at 21:05..
DJ Niner is offline   Reply With Quote