Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:21   #1
mdalle01

CCW rig for new job

Folks, this is a resurrected thread from 2011. The current posts begin HERE.

Please do not ask questions of members' posts made in 2011, expect a response, and get upset when there is no response... Some of those members are no longer active.

Iíve been carrying my G26 in a Crossbreed SuperTuck Delux IWB holster for a long time now and absolutely love it. However, I am starting a new job in a couple weeks that will require me to wear dress slacks and a tucked-in shirt, so Iím looking for a system that is more concealable for my new work attire.

As for the firearm, Iím leaning towards a small single-stack 9mm, like the Kahr PM9 for example.

As for the carry system, Iím kind of lost and need some help. An IWB holsterÖperhaps the CBST w/ the Velcro clips? What about a shoulder holster, ankle holster, pocket holster, bellyband, or perhaps the SmartCarry holster? What deep concealment holster do you recommend?

Last edited by RussP; 09-08-2013 at 09:04..
mdalle01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:27   #2
LongGoneDays
Misanthropical

Try a tuckable IWB or ankle holster first.

Seems like shoulder holsters are a pain, but I've never worn one.
LongGoneDays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:36   #3
collim1
Shower Time!

Smith and Wesson 442 in a pocket or on your ankle.

I try to always carry my P239 and a reload OWB, but sometimes you just cant dress around that.

When forced to wear dress clothes I rely on my jframe in my pocket.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 14:54   #4
McMillan

Fist #22 with velcro clips has my vote as i carry appendix
Second to that a smartcarry with a kahr would work quite well.

I'm actually looking at picking up a kahr CM9 for this reason
McMillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 14:58   #5
Cheytac

Tucker Gun Leather, tuckable IWB...
Cheytac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 22:23   #6
Toorop

I would ask the boss what they use to carry. Nothing like scoring some brownie points with the boss...
Toorop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 13:53   #7
mdalle01

Hey, thanks for the input guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
I would ask the boss what they use to carry. Nothing like scoring some brownie points with the boss...
If I had a boss like that I'd be set.
Old 06-28-2011, 19:16   #8
bjhubb

Everyday I carry a g26 in a hybrid holster that I made, which is similar to the cbst. I wear cinch jeans with a polo shirt tucked in. I drive up to 350 miles a day and it is very comfortable and concealed.
bjhubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 21:53   #9
DaneA

I don't think you will have a problem carrying your 26 in your cbst. I do it everyday without a problem with khakis and a tucked in shirt. No one has even pointed out the clips on the holster (even with their crosses ). I would suggest wearing darker colored shirts if possible.
DaneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 00:46   #10
Toorop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdalle01 View Post
If I had a boss like that I'd be set.
What do you mean?
Old 06-29-2011, 00:54   #11
drew4691

I have a PM9 with a pocket holster. I prefer the LCP in the pocket... It really is much lighter (6+1) than the PM9 (6+1). Especially in dress slacks, the pm9 feels like a brick.

I went LCP + CT grips for $449 before taxes. Never looked back.
drew4691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:36   #12
Manzoli7

Smart Carry-in Medium Size?

I used to run a large vending machine route. With medium size smart carry I could conceal a snub nose, and a medium to almost a large size semi auto. Sometimes I would have my tennis style shirt untucked and turn it sideways and use it to carry a K frame 357 cross draw. If I was wearing a tucked in shirt and tie for a business meating with a new client I could carry a 5 shot snub 357 right in front. I would have a speed strip of realoads in the other pocket of the holster. With the shirt and tie I could also carry the snub cross draw with the handel just under my belt line. with cross draw I would put the front tail of the shirt on the side the gun was on under the smart carry and the other front tail over the smart carry. Those tucker holsters leave visible belt clips. Smart carry is hidden completley. If you get one try it in different positions at home with different pants.

It is the most versitile holster I have ever owned. Also the guns you mentioned are very light so they will not wear out the waist band of the holster. Chek with the company what size will work with your specific guns.
Manzoli7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:57   #13
mdalle01

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneA View Post
I don't think you will have a problem carrying your 26 in your cbst. I do it everyday without a problem with khakis and a tucked in shirt. No one has even pointed out the clips on the holster (even with their crosses ). I would suggest wearing darker colored shirts if possible.
I wear fitted dress shirts that really hug my body and the width of the G26 in a CBST creates a bulge that is just too noticeable and sloppy looking. I will be working in an office setting for a local non-profit agency, so it's critical that not only is my firearm concealed well, but that I maintain a professional appearance at all times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
What do you mean?
My intuition tells me that my new boss is an anti-gunner.

I finished grad school last year and this is the first job that I have been able to get in my field. I don't want to do anything to mess up this opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew4691 View Post
I have a PM9 with a pocket holster. I prefer the LCP in the pocket... It really is much lighter (6+1) than the PM9 (6+1). Especially in dress slacks, the pm9 feels like a brick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew4691 View Post

I went LCP + CT grips for $449 before taxes. Never looked back.
The LCP is my wife's favorite carry piece, but I've been known to slip in my pocket for a quick trip to the gas station every now and then. This might be an option, but I have to say, I really prefer 9mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manzoli7 View Post
I used to run a large vending machine route. With medium size smart carry I could conceal a snub nose, and a medium to almost a large size semi auto. Sometimes I would have my tennis style shirt untucked and turn it sideways and use it to carry a K frame 357 cross draw. If I was wearing a tucked in shirt and tie for a business meating with a new client I could carry a 5 shot snub 357 right in front. I would have a speed strip of realoads in the other pocket of the holster. With the shirt and tie I could also carry the snub cross draw with the handel just under my belt line. with cross draw I would put the front tail of the shirt on the side the gun was on under the smart carry and the other front tail over the smart carry. Those tucker holsters leave visible belt clips. Smart carry is hidden completley. If you get one try it in different positions at home with different pants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manzoli7 View Post

It is the most versitile holster I have ever owned. Also the guns you mentioned are very light so they will not wear out the waist band of the holster. Chek with the company what size will work with your specific guns.
Wow, thank for this info.

I've been interested in the SmartCarry holster for a while now. I always thought it would be a good option for when I go jogging. I will definitely give this holster further consideration.
Old 07-02-2011, 17:17   #14
Glock21sf-miami

J frame in a smartcarry...
Glock21sf-miami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 17:21   #15
CFS

Belly band.....and carry what you want!
Done it for years.

Pop
CFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 17:24   #16
BLau

Walther PPS is a nice CCW piece. It's what I use when I need to go thin.
Old 07-02-2011, 17:35   #17
mdalle01

Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to try my luck with a single-stack 9mm in a SmartCarry holster and see how this system works. I will probably pick up a CBST IWB holster w/ velcro clips as well.
Old 07-02-2011, 20:55   #18
FlyboyLDB

Here is what I utilize when I need super concealed. http://www.511tactical.com/All-Produ...ter-Shirt.html I can carry a Glock 27 with no issues. I have even carried my Glock 23. My Kel-Tec PF9 works the best. Comes in black or white and they even have V necks if you desire. The biggest con is that the shirt itself gets a little toasty. But if you will be inside in the AC, should be no problem.
FlyboyLDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 21:05   #19
Toorop

Quote:

My intuition tells me that my new boss is an anti-gunner.

I finished grad school last year and this is the first job that I have been able to get in my field. I don't want to do anything to mess up this opportunity.
Then carrying at work is a bad idea.
Old 07-02-2011, 21:06   #20
mdalle01

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyboyLDB View Post
Here is what I utilize when I need super concealed. http://www.511tactical.com/All-Produ...ter-Shirt.html I can carry a Glock 27 with no issues. I have even carried my Glock 23. My Kel-Tec PF9 works the best. Comes in black or white and they even have V necks if you desire. The biggest con is that the shirt itself gets a little toasty. But if you will be inside in the AC, should be no problem.
That looks like an excellent deep concealment option. Thanks.
Old 07-02-2011, 23:15   #21
jeffyjeff
awesome sauce

i don't usually wear a tucked in shirt, but i have on occasion and no one has ever noticed my glock26 in cbst while tucked and i even use the stock clips.

since you've already got the cbst, i'd say go with that. just pick up some less conspicuous clips for it if that's a concern.
jeffyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:34   #22
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289

Quote:
I wear fitted dress shirts that really hug my body ...
Sometimes you have to change your style of dress for effective concealment. You can't have everything - big gun, tight clothes, deep concealment.

I suggest going unarmed your first few days until you see what people wear, what you have to do physically, etc. Leave it in a car-safe for a while.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:28   #23
B.Reid

Pocket holster

Earth has always been a dangerous place to live. Be prepared!
B.Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:30   #24
Lior
GUNS=FREEDOM

+1 for SmartCarry.
Rust and bureaucrats. Freedom and vigilance. Front sight and trigger. Kindness and firepower. Situational awareness and tolerance. Safety and concealment. Taxes and allegiance. Love of man and surgical marksmanship. Once a soldier, always a soldier.
Lior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:03   #25
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I carried a G26 at work for a couple of years using a tucked C-TAC. It was chilly (like 50*F), though, and I wore at least two shirts so that really helped.

The first day or two I did not carry. Then I put a 642 in a smartcarry and finally I was comfortable enough with everything to go the IWB route. I never looked back. I didn't even use the velcro option. Nobody seemed to notice the clips and they were the same color as my belt. If anybody asks you can say they are part of the belt. If they ask further just brush it off and move on. Your clothing probably isn't their business anyway

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote