Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-20-2013, 21:55   #1
formerglockhater

Illinois question:

I'll start by saying that this information is probably pretty easy to get and I apologize for being lazy, but I am assuming someone here already knows the answer, so I thought I'd ask.

I've heard that Illinois passed concealed carry. I also heard they have some pretty insane restrictions and requirements though. Does anyone here know if they have reciprocity with Missouri concealed carry holders?
formerglockhater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 00:03   #2
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

No reciprocity at the moment (far as I know).

handgunlaw.us

Also, the restrictions are not that bad (some states have definitely started out worse). More than ideal, but the law is passed now... working to tweak it will be much easier.
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 08-21-2013 at 00:05..
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:00   #3
xmanhockey7

They will not recognize other states permits. However, they will allow anyone who is allowed to carry in public in their home states to carry concealed in their car. More info is on Illinois State Police website or handgunlaw.us. Depending on the state you live in and assuming you have a carry permit from that state, you could obtain a non-resident permit. From what I have read in the bill it will be a pain in the butt to get and cost you $300 every 5 years. To me it's not really worth it especially with all the gun free zones they'll have, but if I visited more frequently I may be more interested.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:02   #4
AZ Husker

They are for the Obamas and the Jacksons. See how many hoops you have to jump through. And you can't even own a gun in some areas.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:52   #5
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
They are for the Obamas and the Jacksons. See how many hoops you have to jump through. And you can't even own a gun in some areas.
State preemption for all handguns. No place can ban handguns and all the preexisting bans are now overruled.

FOID
16 hour class
$150

The off limits are really not entirely bad. The public transit part has to go, but the rest are livable.
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:16   #6
Lord

Reciprocity??? that's almost laughable. They don't even want their own citizens to carry, they're not going to allow out-of-towners...
Old 08-21-2013, 09:06   #7
formerglockhater

Thanks guys. I'll keep an eye on it. Just wondered if there was a definitive answer.
formerglockhater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:56   #8
SCmasterblaster

IL CCWers are indeed fortunate to finally have civilian CCWers.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:15   #9
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerglockhater View Post
Thanks guys. I'll keep an eye on it. Just wondered if there was a definitive answer.
right now you can drive through IL with your MO license. If you stop and get out of the car, the gun has to stay in the car, though.

When they finally get around to issuing licenses, you'll be able to get an out of state IL license for $300 and a 16 hour course. I believe your home state's course is accepted for 8 hours of that course.
Old 08-21-2013, 17:58   #10
KingWalleye

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrGlock View Post
State preemption for all handguns. No place can ban handguns and all the preexisting bans are now overruled.

FOID
16 hour class
$150

The off limits are really not entirely bad. The public transit part has to go, but the rest are livable.
Not entirely true. Private businesses can ban carry.
Employers can ban firearms in your vehicle on their property. (Illinois is an "at will" employment state so even though the law allows you to keep a gun in your car they can still fire you.) I checked on this one in depth.

You can bank 8 of the 16 hours with a hunter safety certificate (paid for by the DNR) or an NRA Basic Pistol course among others.
Old 08-21-2013, 18:22   #11
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWalleye View Post
Not entirely true. Private businesses can ban carry.
Employers can ban firearms in your vehicle on their property. (Illinois is an "at will" employment state so even though the law allows you to keep a gun in your car they can still fire you.) I checked on this one in depth.
So you missed where the other guy was talking about gun bans by government agencies "And you can't even own a gun in some areas" I don't know of too many employers that ban you from owning a gun.

I said nothing about businesses banning them or any no carry places, only ownership.
Old 08-21-2013, 19:52   #12
mt920

Quote:

I agree... It would be nice to carry on Chicago's public trains and buses.
mt920 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 21:58   #13
KG1F

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf
Old 08-21-2013, 22:34   #14
vinstang67

Quote:
right now you can drive through IL with your MO license.
A specific word was mentioned, "through. "
Could IL be the final destination when a non IL resident (who can legally carry in other states) carry a handgun?

Or should it be only when traveling "through" IL?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337
vinstang67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 23:22   #15
xmanhockey7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinstang67 View Post
A specific word was mentioned, "through. "
Could IL be the final destination when a non IL resident (who can legally carry in other states) carry a handgun?

Or should it be only when traveling "through" IL?

Yes, IL can be the final destination per that state law.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:20   #16
Boot Stomper

This website was set up by IL State Police to answer your CC questions. Check it out.

http://www.isp.state.il.us/firearms/ccw/ccw-faq.cfm

Last edited by Boot Stomper; 08-22-2013 at 07:21..
Boot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:28   #17
vinstang67

Thank you both.
I just wanted be sure.

vinstang67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 19:35   #18
Gpruitt54

Quote:

FOID
16 hour class
$150

If you include the cost of training; say 150.00 per 8 hour class, the total becomes $450.00. An Illinois permit will become the most most (or close to it) expensive CCW permit in the country.

Keep in mind that this was all forced on the state of Illinois by the courts. So, they (Illinois lawmakers) are applying as many hurdles as they can place in front of citizens who want to conceal carry.
Gpruitt54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 21:43   #19
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpruitt54 View Post
If you include the cost of training; say 150.00 per 8 hour class, the total becomes $450.00. An Illinois permit will become the most most (or close to it) expensive CCW permit in the country.

Keep in mind that this was all forced on the state of Illinois by the courts. So, they (Illinois lawmakers) are applying as many hurdles as they can place in front of citizens who want to conceal carry.
Where'd you come up with $300 for the 16hrs of training? I've not heard any estimates that high. You can bet some gun clubs, etc.. will be putting classes together as cheap as possible.
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:20   #20
xmanhockey7

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
Where'd you come up with $300 for the 16hrs of training? I've not heard any estimates that high. You can bet some gun clubs, etc.. will be putting classes together as cheap as possible.
The non-resident permit itself costs $300. That's where he was coming up with the $300.