SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-29-2013, 15:36   #1
John Rambo
Raven

Question about getting cruisers washed

I was driving home yesterday and saw a Pinellas county cruiser getting a carwash at a gas station. Real good value washing station - they've got a guy who comes around and hits all the little cracks once the automated service finishes.

Anyways, that got me to thinking. A lot of police have to pay for a ridiculous amount of their own gear (guns, extra lights, etc) around here, who foots the bill for getting your cruiser washed? Obviously, to present a good image those cars have to be washed regularly with how much they get beat on. Do you have to come out of pocket for it, do you get a weekly/monthly allowance for it, do you get reimbursed? Do they offer you special stations that wash your cars for free? How, exactly, does that whole business work?
John Rambo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 15:39   #2
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
We're lucky at the prison; we just take them back to the garage and get the camp inmates to wash them. I've heard from people in street agencies that either their agency will contract with a particular car wash, or some gas stations even give LE a free car wash for the cruiser.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 15:47   #3
Glock45Lover

I work in several counties. In most of them the county jail has inmates assigned to the county auto shop or the dispatch center to clean the cars. I usually just visit one of them. If need be, I can use my Wright's Express fuel (credit) card at a car wash.

21 Club Member #4500.
Glock45Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 15:48   #4
indigent
Bamboozled

We wash our own.. If you have a take home like me, then it gets washed at the house... On my dime. We also have the equipment to do it at the station.... We can also run them thru the automated washes here in town but again, on our dime.

The SO here has the option to go to one of the car dealerships in a neighboring town and use their automated machine for free....
Old 08-29-2013, 15:51   #5
CGMK

I wash the patrol ride my self at the substation. The county supples the soap, hose, and brush. I buy my own wiper blades and rain-x washer fluid because I'm kinda anal like that. I work in an area that is is 1.5 hours from the main station and jail. The guys that work out of the main station have the county garage and inmates that wash the cars over there. Inmates working on patrol cars...no thanks.

My last dept was a small town city gig. Out there we had a contract with a car wash. Pull up, sign the receipt, get car washed. I think the city paid a reduced rate per wash, something like $8 instead of $12. We only could get the basic exterior wash. So if an ******* prisoner crapped in the back seat and stuffed the seatbelt buckles with poo, off to the firehouse I went. Admin and dicks could get the $79 full detail job on their take home rides.
CGMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 15:55   #6
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

City owned wash rack. Interiors "soiled" by in-custody's get cleaned out per health and safety rules by Bio Clean (contractor). We clean the interiors when we have slow periods (vacuum, cleaning interior, windows, etc.). There is an expectation from the peer level as well as the citizens that the patrol car are kept clean looking.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 16:21   #7
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289

Denver PD has an automated car wash inside the garage.
Run the car through rain/shine/hot/cold 24 hours a day.
Old 08-29-2013, 16:29   #8
Ohio Copper

About every two weeks I wash my assigned pool car at the station. They provide the hose, soap, buckets and towels for it. We can run through a car wash on our dime and I do that once at the very end of winter when no more snow is coming to remove the salt and brine from under the car. Mine has 150k on the dash and is about ready to be out to pasture but it'll go when I need it to.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 16:43   #9
Metro566
Gunfighter

I have a takehome and have four options.

1. Handwash at my house
2. Carwash using an "unlimited washes" package per month
3. A few local gas stations have an account for
our dept and we can swing in and charge it to the county
4. Bring it to the jail and have trustee inmates wash it.

Almost always I use option 2 or 3. When I'm washing my personal at home or the ol' ladys then I'll hand wash my squad.

Metro566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 16:47   #10
Ftttu

We have take-homes so we are responsible for their cleanliness. We aren't supposed to use high pressure or brush washes, but many do it anyway. I'm sure the thinking is that automated washes damage antennas, overheads, spotlights, stickers, etc.

I have an unmarked 2003 CVPI with spotlights and a pushbar. I don't think I would have a problem in an automated wash.

But yes, the expense adds up, but that is the cost of a take-home.
Ftttu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 16:48   #11
Ftttu

We have take-homes so we are responsible for their cleanliness. We aren't supposed to use high pressure or brush washes, but many do it anyway. I'm sure the thinking is that automated washes damage antennas, overheads, spotlights, stickers, etc.

I have an unmarked 2003 CVPI with spotlights and a pushbar. I don't think I would have a problem in an automated wash.

But yes, the expense adds up, but that is the cost of a take-home.
Ftttu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 17:12   #12
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

We have a couple contracts with automated washes in town. Receipt gets turned in to the back office with a badge number on it.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 17:18   #13
collim1
Shower Time!

I stop by the county jail and they have prisoners on work release that wash all the city and county cars.
collim1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 18:41   #14
Ducowti

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
We have a couple contracts with automated washes in town. Receipt gets turned in to the back office with a badge number on it.
Something like this, but only unit #, no shield.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Last edited by Ducowti; 08-29-2013 at 18:42..
Ducowti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 19:09   #15
vettely

On Saturdays the work release guys used to wash ours. That was stopped, guess it was too "cruel". City has a contract with one of the automated car washes.

Last edited by vettely; 08-29-2013 at 19:12..
vettely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 19:13   #16
GreenBlood10

Wright express fuel card. Runs through just like a debit card.
RSO
GreenBlood10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 19:58   #17
tusk212

We wash our own.
Niner's Club #212
PA Glockers #125
Tactical Shotgun Club #212
tusk212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 20:11   #18
ateamer
NRA4EVR

We have contracts with three different Shell stations for their drive-through washes and with two regular car washes. If someone befouls the cage, we call Crime Scene Cleaners.
Know-it-all
ateamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 20:28   #19
Dukeboy01
Pretty Ladies!

We wash our own. The city used to have an automated wash for the garbage trucks out by Fleet services that we could use, but it's been closed for several years.

In our last round of contract negotiations we gave up our unlimited use of the cruisers while off- duty. This concession has caused a minor rebellion among the rank and file, refusing to spend their money to wash the city's car. Some of the really obstinate guys let their cars get absolutely filthy.

I wash mine once every ten days or so. Some of the gas stations give free washes to officers in uniform, but I miss out on that anymore since I'm in plain clothes. I have a rewards card for the gas station we use, so when I have enough points saved up for a car wash I get a free one that way.
Old 08-29-2013, 20:43   #20
Sharkey

Wash a squad? What's that? I worked on evenings. When you have enough seniority, the day shift guys handled that at a local car wash that had a contract with the city.