Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-05-2013, 19:43   #1
Kevinr20

Car vibration at freeway speeds

There are plenty of mechanically inclined folks here so I thought I'd ask here instead of registering for some car forum.

My car has a significant vibration between 55 and 70 mph. Above 70, it mellows out and is barely noticeable. It can be felt slightly in the steering wheel but mostly in the seat. Wheels have been balanced before without fixing the problem and I recently got a new set of tires all around and the vibration still exists. The wheel hubs seem to be solid with no play. What else could be the problem? It's very annoying. :mad:
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samuel Adams, August 20, 1789
Kevinr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 19:47   #2
686Owner
NRA Life Member

What kind of vehicle?
Old 09-05-2013, 19:48   #3
*ASH*

dude i pray for you . i had same problem few weeks ago on my car . it drove me nuts . i rotated tires , no help , i bought new tires ,no help . was thinking it was cv joints no help .

my problem was the first tire place did not balance my tires right. i found this out after taking car to alignment shop and letting him drive it . he said it was the tires .

so i went to different place and tires were all out of balance .

moral of story , take to alignment shop . they will tell you what it is .
Old 09-05-2013, 19:48   #4
Kevinr20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 686Owner View Post
What kind of vehicle?
Guess I should have mentioned that. 2006 chevy cobalt.
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samuel Adams, August 20, 1789
Old 09-05-2013, 19:50   #5
steve581581

Axles and u-joints are where I'd start.
steve581581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 19:51   #6
sasqwatch2

If you have a rim that is bent, it makes in nearly impossible to balance your new tires.
sasqwatch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 19:51   #7
Kevinr20

Quote:
Originally Posted by *ASH* View Post
moral of story , take to alignment shop . they will tell you what it is .
It does seem to need a slight alignment, would that cause a vibration?
Old 09-05-2013, 19:52   #8
Maxthemutt

Rotate and re-evaluate.
Maxthemutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 19:53   #9
686Owner
NRA Life Member

Yeah, I'd start by swapping the tires front and rear to eliminate them. If you start feeling it in the steering wheel you'll know it was the wheels.
Old 09-05-2013, 19:53   #10
Kevinr20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasqwatch2 View Post
If you have a rim that is bent, it makes in nearly impossible to balance your new tires.
I was thinking this but I've never hit anything that would bend a rim. Maybe I'll replace one wheel at a time with a full sized spare to rule that out.
Old 09-05-2013, 19:55   #11
686Owner
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinr20 View Post
I've never had that issue when my alignment was out of whack.
Old 09-05-2013, 19:55   #12
glockdintheface22

Bent rear wheel? You say you feel it mostly in the seat - to me that means a problem with the rear 2 wheels/tires. You say you got new tires but the problem persists....wheels and hubs/bearings left because the cobalt is FWD. In my professional opinion it sounds like a dented or damaged wheel.

My experience is 8+ yrs in the auto industry, currently an ASE master technician with a local Toyota dealer. Hope that helps.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
glockdintheface22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 19:56   #13
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership

Quote:
Guess I should have mentioned that. 2006 chevy cobalt.
ha, I'm actually very familiar with those cars. Pulled the head off a '06 Cobalt to have a couple valves replaced, while I was working on it I found the sway-bar links were shot and one of the front shocks was leaking.

Anyway, take it to a front end shop
OldSchool64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 19:57   #14
Cmacc

It could. If its not in the tires/wheels the next suspect is steering /suspension. Check out ball joints and steering linkage. After that you are left with drivetrain, engine/transmission/cv joints.

Edit - pffft, go with the advice from the experienced tech.

Last edited by Cmacc; 09-05-2013 at 20:00..
Cmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 19:58   #15
*ASH*

take to alignment shop like i did , they wont be able to align it if something is messed up , but they can tell you what it is . thats how i found out . and tried 6 different tires , moving them around . and its pain in the ass .

my advice as was given me . go to alignment shop .
Old 09-05-2013, 20:12   #16
brickerbrad

Did it do that before you got new tires? Sounds like one of the back tires is not balanced wright.
brickerbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 20:14   #17
brickerbrad

Did it do that before u got new tires? Sounds like one of the rear tires is out of balance.
brickerbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 21:12   #18
K. Foster

Quote:
Yes. Iím not saying this is your problem but it could be. I had a similar problem and a balance and alignment job fixed it. Someone mentioned bent rim, thatís another thing to look at.
Also, not every shop has competent diagnosticians. If possible, take it to a shop that has a good reputation and stands behind their work.
Old 09-05-2013, 21:41   #19
JimBianchi
CLM Number 25
Da Da

Mine turned out to be a bulge in the tire tread.

Easy fix. New tire.
SAF

The scariest words in the English language: I'm from the government and I'm here to help! President Ronald Reagan
JimBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 22:07   #20
svtpwnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Foster View Post
Yes. Iím not saying this is your problem but it could be. I had a similar problem and a balance and alignment job fixed it. Someone mentioned bent rim, thatís another thing to look at.
Also, not every shop has competent diagnosticians. If possible, take it to a shop that has a good reputation and stands behind their work.
I suggest this as well. There are alot of shops out there that for some reason cannot properly balance tires. Also, you say you just put new tires on. I recommend doing a front end alignment at the time new tires are put on. My wife just had new tires put on recently with the same issue you have. I took it back and had them rebalance the tires and that solved it. If that doesn't work, you may have a bent rim.
svtpwnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 00:47   #21
Jade Falcon
Go Blazers!

Tagged. My car has close to the same problem: the steering wheel vibrates back and forth at freeway speeds. Probably a bent rim, but I already had a bent rim replaced years ago after running it into the curb while slipping on ice.

Quote:
Car vibration at freeway speeds
Does your wife like it? Hey!*rimshot*
Old 09-06-2013, 01:06   #22
BobbyS
You Talkin ToMe

Had the same thing and it was a bent rim. It was bent on the inside edge. All it takes is to drop the wheel off the edge of the road and have it hit the paving.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:07   #23
LippCJ7

If you feel it in the seat its probably in the back tires, if it were my car I would put the rear tires on the front and see if the problem follows them to the front, if it does not then you most likely have an issue in the drivetrain, axles, cv'x etc. If the problem does follow then you know you have a tire/rim issue and you should take it back to the tire store.

I have never seen a slight misalignment cause this issue, a serious misalignment yes.

Jade, if you had this same problem before and you have a front wheel or four wheel drive car your issue may be deeper then a bent rim, you could have bent an axle, or damaged a wheel bearing or CV depending on your application, you could also need a new steering stabilizer but again it depends on your vehicle.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:15   #24
Jade Falcon
Go Blazers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LippCJ7 View Post
If you feel it in the seat its probably in the back tires, if it were my car I would put the rear tires on the front and see if the problem follows them to the front, if it does not then you most likely have an issue in the drivetrain, axles, cv'x etc. If the problem does follow then you know you have a tire/rim issue and you should take it back to the tire store.

I have never seen a slight misalignment cause this issue, a serious misalignment yes.

Jade, if you had this same problem before and you have a front wheel or four wheel drive car your issue may be deeper then a bent rim, you could have bent an axle, or damaged a wheel bearing or CV depending on your application, you could also need a new steering stabilizer but again it depends on your vehicle.
Thanks bro. I have a 2002 Kia Rio 4-door with a 1.5-liter 4 cyl, FWD, 5-speed manual tranny. Hopefully, it's not worse than a bent rim.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:01   #25
southernshooter

vibration

Tire are always the first suspect and the easiest to fix. Put the front tires onto the back. Almost fixed or no change? No change, front end shop. Seems like it is almost always tire related.