Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-07-2013, 16:52   #1
xfarfuldog

Taking a break from guns?

I am thinking of taking a break from all things gun. I do not consider myself a collector but a shooter. Last week I took 6 different 45's out to the range. I was checking for best accuracy and only fired 10 rounds per gun. I found myself figuring out how much I had spent for the session and not looking forward to clean all six guns

Instead of looking forward to shooting I remain bored. I have been thinking lately I should sell off my guns to just a few. I would keep the best and most accurate. I have plenty of ammo in several different calibers. I have 15 different handguns in 9, 45, 380 and 38/357, 5 rifles and 2 shotguns. I worry about the cost of replacing the ammo at my monthly range practice.

I got royally screwed today on a trade I made. Today I took four guns out to the local gun show with the intention of selling a least a couple of them. After walking around a couple of hours I had no takers. I sat down with a friend and had someone come up to talk to me. He had a 1943 IBM M1 carbine. One thing led to another and I traded for the carbine. I had remembered some of the M1's were worth close to $ 2000. After I traded, my friend told me that this particular M1 had a much lower value.

It's my own fault. I rarely go outside my comfort zone on things I am not familiar with. This time it cost me dearly. I was going to buy some 30 caliber ammo and extra mags but I was disgusted with myself. I am now going to step away from guns and not get involved anymore.

Anyone else just get tired of guns?
xfarfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 16:55   #2
M&P15T
Beard One

Emotions....

They run you.
Old 09-07-2013, 16:59   #3
Michael Rye

What you're describing isn't unusual. I've gone through periods where I wasn't doing any shooting. For me the enthusiasm always comes back eventually. Sometimes, you just need a break.

BTW, do not sell any of your guns!
Michael Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 17:02   #4
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfarfuldog View Post

Anyone else just get tired of guns?

nope

.....but I did slim down the collection from 40 or so to a dozen that I really liked to shoo/-built on my bench/reload for over the last few years. I've never enjoyed shooting more!
FLIPPER 348 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 17:07   #5
Restless28

I get it. Exercising with my son, cross country meets with my daughter, and just general lack of time and desire, has saved me money lately.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 17:37   #6
Andy123

I'm taking a break from guns for a couple of months .. . .

IT'S BOW SEASON Baby! Widdle deer and hogs, here I come

"At the end of the game, the king and the pawn are put in the same box."

"The camel dances, and having danced, moves on."
Andy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 17:42   #7
Quigley
Elite Member

I dont shoot any more near as much as I used to. If I do shoot now its mostly 22 and 12 ga but I still love shooting/ guns every bit as much as I used to I just cant afford it as much anymore. :(

GREEN IS THE NEW RED
Quigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 18:01   #8
Inebriated

Nope, not about to take a break from guns.

But I get where you're coming from. I did the same thing with guitar a couple years ago. Made it that much better when I got back into it.
Kalashnikov Klub Member #870
The 21 Club Member #19691
Inebriated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 18:32   #9
farmer-dave

I stepped away from owning a jeep for awhile, now I've got two jk unlimited rubicon and cj-8. Just start a new hobby or foget your guns for awhile. I bet in a little time you'll be back with it.
Old 09-07-2013, 18:56   #10
RonS

Don't stay away too long, it is hard to get the muscle memory back.

I know, I hardly shot for 10 years while the girls were in college, now that I have the time and resources it is a struggle to get back to where I was in terms of skill, much less advance to the next level.
Old 09-07-2013, 19:14   #11
USMCsilver
I Like Monkeys

Send a message via AIM to USMCsilver Send a message via Yahoo to USMCsilver
I stepped back. About 1.5 months ago I had a real battle with myself and my collection.

I sold, IIRC, 14 firearms and pocketed a bit over $10k.

I'm at peace with my decision.

Mobile on Ohub Campfire via GS4.

"Kiss my ass, I bought a boat! I'm goin' out to sea..." (Jimmy Buffett covering Lovett)
USMCsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 19:23   #12
Restless28

My hobby is my family now, especially the kids and granddaughter.

Nothing is more important to me, especially now that I see how fast they grow up.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 19:23   #13
M2 Carbine

I wouldn't have nearly the interest I have in guns if I didn't have home ranges and I had to pay the high cost of ammo (I reload).

As it is, I'm retired and guns/shooting is an interesting pastime. I shoot almost every day.
M2 Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 19:38   #14
stolenphot0
RTF2 Addict

Personally I would love to be shooting more, but time and money is something I don't have much of anymore. I have 2 ARs built that I need to take out and get sighted in, but just thinking about spending the time on a weekend, crowded range wears me down.

I really wish I had a backyard range. And money.

stolenphot0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 20:22   #15
Bruce M

It is one thing to leave some guns in the safe and not shoot them for a while, even a long while. Selling guns off is potentially more drastic; depending on what one sells it may be relatively easy to get it back later, but mostly with spending (alot) more money than for the first purchase. My opinion is to be extremely cautious making a decision to sell.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 20:40   #16
M2 Carbine

Quote:
My opinion is to be extremely cautious making a decision to sell.
True.
I still regret selling some gins 30-40 years ago.
M2 Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 20:47   #17
burttrans

Yes I understand sometimes life gets in the way. I used to shoot alot 15 years ago and then raising 3 kids got in the way put now I have more time and money to shoot again.

Also I have alot of hobbies I golf 2-3 times per week and ride the Harley so it can be hard to find time to shoot but I have been adding some new guns recently so that is good just got a Colt CCG and adding another Colt 6920.
burttrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 20:55   #18
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

I was so into guns I was actually in the business on a good scale. I had to have "it all" when it came to gun things. Then I moved on from that and I went dead inside to gun stuff. Nothing I planned, it just happened that way. I had shot everything just about every way and had my fill of guns. Then I became a cop and it renewed my interest, but in a very specific way. Instead of feeling the need to do everything there is in the gun world, I now want to only work with the exact tools I use as a cop. It is kind of like betting on sports. I now have a lot on the line so it makes it more important.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 21:13   #19
arclight610

Having a purpose for your guns can put zing back into the hobby. Lately, I've been burned out on guns as well. I just shot my first steel challenge match, and wow am I hooked with renewed interest. Maybe you shoot take it to the next level? Compete, hunt, whatever.
arclight610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 21:32   #20
Dirk Pitt

Been there actually still doing it, I used to live eat breathe everything guns. Now even going out shooting just turns into an expensive pain in the rear.
No, not selling anything just sorta watching the bumpers rust.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Dirk Pitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 21:40   #21
*ASH*

im kinda in a rut myself not with guns but with work . as i farmer we hardly have any down time . getting plastic down for strawberry plants this week and will be planting in october for spring . plus we still got tobacco to harvest . and im burnt out

since all i have is dead beat nephews and having not spoken to them in 5 years im gonna take the coming year off and split the farming with buddy of mine . i need a year off . fighting cancer and taking drugs and chemo has got me beat down .

so starting in january we will head down to our beach house and just hang out and fish for good long while , me and the wife and the pets .and then have my mom come stay some also .