Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-05-2013, 14:13   #1
fastbolt

Deja Vu for a State of Jefferson

Yet another pushing of the idea of a new Western state. Been brought out and trotted around any number of times.

http://www.webpronews.com/california...ts-out-2013-09

Not hard to see signs along I5 supporting this idea. I notice them each time I'm driving back & forth to OR & WA. Seems popular in that area.

I rather wonder what they'd do for revenue and taxes, though.

I also wonder if they'd wait until CalTrans is finished pumping money into all the I5 road work & improvements sometime in '14, too.

Careful what you wish for, right?
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer

Last edited by fastbolt; 09-05-2013 at 14:14..
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 14:24   #2
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbolt View Post
Yet another pushing of the idea of a new Western state. Been brought out and trotted around any number of times.

http://www.webpronews.com/california...ts-out-2013-09

Not hard to see signs along I5 supporting this idea. I notice them each time I'm driving back & forth to OR & WA. Seems popular in that area.

I rather wonder what they'd do for revenue and taxes, though.

I also wonder if they'd wait until CalTrans is finished pumping money into all the I5 road work & improvements sometime in '14, too.

Careful what you wish for, right?
If we told the State of Oregon to take a hike and stood the feds off we could go back to logging in Curry County and we could shoot the friggin sea lions restart the hatcheries and bring back the salmon runs. Could it be worse than all of Oregon being tied for 2nd highest unemployment in the Country at 19.9% ?
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 15:29   #3
md2lgyk

Isn't gonna happen. The Constitution prohibits the creation of a new state out of any portion of an existing state. Lincoln got away with West Virginia only by exercizing his war powers as Commander-in-Chief. At that time, such powers had never been used, and nobody had the guts to challenge him on it.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:51   #4
meleors
Cranky Member

^^ Wrong ^^

From Article 4, Section 3 of the US Constitution:
New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.

In the above case, it would have to be approved by both California's and Oregon's State legislatures and the US Congress. But yes it theoretically could be done.
meleors is offline   Reply With Quote